So, zee german accent..

Davroth

You know, that's a good question....

Nopony else I can really think of really has a specifically foreign accent...

Seriously? What about Applejack and Applebloom's Southern accents? XD Nopony else in Ponyville really seems to have it outside of those from Sweet Apple Acres.

You don't know what you are talking about. A dialect is a local difference in pronunciation (and more) that happened over time, while an accent is what happens when you learn a different language other then your mother tongue.

Not apples and oranges at all.

Sorry friend, to my understanding an accent IS what you've described, but it is not exclusively applied to learning a new language; one can be speaking their mother tongue and still have an accent. Take Captain Falcon's Brooklyn accent as a perfect example. It may not be especially foreign, but things like a Brooklyn, Canadian, British or Southern accent DO exist, even if they all speak English.

In Bridle gossip, there's one pony who works in the spa who has an implacable European-esque accent. I find it not all too out-there to assume that there are perhaps far, far extensions of Equestria, or perhaps even lands set outside it. (Itaily forever, yo) My favor goes to the latter, simply because it's a fun concept.

Seriously? What about Applejack and Applebloom's Southern accents? XD Nopony else in Ponyville really seems to have it outside of those from Sweet Apple Acres.

When I made my post this morning I specified "specifically foreign accent" for a reason. To me, the Apple family's thing I'd instead call a regional accent. When I said foreign I meant just accents we'd associate with another country and language.

Photo Finish was the only important pony with such an accent I could think of (as Zecora isn't technically a pony). I suppose there might have been some minor ponies with European accents like crp_dude is saying. I just have trouble remembering all the minor ponies sometimes.

And if you'll remember "Ticket Master", at the cafe, there was a waiter pony who spoke in a French accent and many times, Rarity speaks words in French as well!

Have to keep in mind that this is the "Magical Land of Equestria" so anything's possible!

One of my OC's (Professor Clyde Krashkop) speaks with a German accent and my latest OC creation (Calypso) will speak with a Jamiacian accent!

Accents are FUN! Hope we see more of them in Season 2!

Back in the times Discord ruled Equestria he thought it would be funny to mess with the ponies under his rule by arbitrarily and suddenly having them speak totally different languages that he made up in different locations. This sowed the seeds of distrust among the citizens of this fair land....after all the ponies of Canterlot could no longer understand what the ponies of Fillydelphia were saying, so they must be saying something bad. Not only did this amuse Discord greatly, but had the added bonus of making sure that the ponies could not rise up against him, en masse. Until some fancy alicorns put him in his place and restored harmony.

Well over a millennium later you can still see the effects of this dastardly deed in the some of the accents of ponies from various parts of Equestria. Any analogues to accents found here on Earth are purely coincidental.

:D

(Also, Discord gets direct TV, where do you think he got all the ideas from?)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Think if you will, that this is further evidence of that theory that seems to be circulating around fanfics, that equestria is a repopulated earth, or at least a pony equivalent of our cultures.

This makes the most sense I think. Equestria could just be viewed as a kind of alternate reality where people are ponies. Anywhere people are separated by vast distances they're bound to adapt to their surroundings and interact differently. Since in Bridle Gossip Zecora also spoke a completely foreign language I think it makes sense that there are other lands besides Equestria, or at least lots of different country type lands within it.