Nightshade

Vinyl Scratch

Name: Nightshade

Sex: Male

Species: Pegasus

Pelt colour: Light Blue to Cyan

Mane/Tail/Markings colour & Style: Hair swept back by wind, never bothers to do anything about it. Tail is also fairl messy due to the extreme speeds he is constantly exposed to. Both are a darker blue colour. Quite similar to that of Soarin'

Eye colour: Purple, wears goggles most of the time.

Cutie Mark: Dark purple cloud

Physique: Thin, very maneuverable. Yet he is not weak either.

Origin: Being born in a fairly rich family in Cloudsdale, Nightshade was rather spoiled in his early life. His parents were very protective of his well being, mainly due to his interest in dangerous things when he was young, also, multiple times he had gotten into dangerous situations inside his own home, including one instance where he ended up hanging from a chandelier while his wings were still in their weaker stages. After begging his parents for a chance to enroll in JSFS, they eventually broke down and let him attend. He began to train more than normal, as if to make up for all the years he's missed out on. His days in JSFS were rather short, considering the length of the actual program being not very long. He continued to practice though, without the restraint of his parents yanking his tail as they grew accustomed to his training, they still monitored it, to stop any dangerous events from occurring. However they didn't do a very good job of it...

Roleplay Type: Mane RP

Personality: Calm at times, serious nearly always. Very respectful of ambitious recruits, as well as any pegasus that shows motive. Uncaring in terms of negative show results that occur within the stands to a certain degree. He dislikes a lack of revenue and un-prepared Pegasi on his squad. He believes that if the ponies are there to see extreme risk takers, they must take a few risks themselves. (Yes this is a bit grimdark but this is the attitude of a Shadowbolt) Not one to burst out in anger, although keeping it bottled up usually effects his personality greatly for a short while. Only yells when disrespected or when shouting over the roar of the winds in-flight to his squad. Not extremely approachable most of the time. An easy way to get his attention is to offer any baked goods that involve blueberries. Should this offer be fake, he will be pretty mad. Scones and Tarts are things he doesn't joke around about.

Motivation: Out-maneuver and out-shine the oh-so-popular Wonderbolts. His hatred of them knows nearly no bounds. His squadron has nearly surpassed the Wonderbolts in speed and agility, however they probably never will, what they lack in that field, they make up for in the "extremeness" of their stunts. They have yet to earn the notoriety they desire.

Likes: Winning, Speed and Agility, Training, Nighttime, Coming up with new techniques, cooking ( surprisingly good at it ), Blueberry anything, his squadron, recruiting, facing off with the Wonderbolts, did I mention winning? Spas (his parents owned the most popular one in Cloudsdale.)

Dislikes: Loosing, Wonderbolts, Daytime, New recruits that show a lack of motive, pones with a lack of common sense, Annoying noises, suit misfitting, "no"s, Pegasi that don't make good use of their wings.

Character Summary: Hailing from Cloudsdale, Nightshade was a fairly sociable Pegasus. During his years at Junior Speedsters Flight school, he witnessed an event that strongly influenced his motivation. A rainbow-maned Pegasus named Rainbow Dash performed a Sonic Rainboom during a race, which inspired him to try more extreme flying tricks. He never got the chance to meet her, but he'd seen her during other incidents, and her unique mane really made her stand out in his mind. His parents were very strict, disallowing any flight practice that included anything considered "dangerous" to them; which tended to be most of the stuff he was interested in. His intensity in his training became increasingly apparent as he grew, he began practicing moves recognized by other pegasi as "hazardous." The word didn't scare him though, he was determined to be the best of the best.

He decided to form a clique, inspired by the sonic rainboom, to practice flying and increase the severity of their stunts. Nearly all of the moves they practiced were all to increase their chances of getting accepted into the wonderbolt squadron. However, thanks to an extreme incident during one of his groups practice sessions, in which one of the Pegasi was left crippled for a few months, they were forced to disband the clique, also getting three of them expelled from the JSFS simultaneously.

His constant "tricks and maneuvers" after the clique disbanded got him into various forms of trouble; the most serious when one of his practice sessions ended up injuring two pegasi that just happened to be in his vicinity. This incident didn't phase his attitude however. He continued to practice these moves until he perfected them, there was no room for error in his book, it was either a perfected move, or a scrapped one.

He began to migrate away from the norm, he left Cloudsdale in pursuit of a new place to practice without interruption. The Everfree forest appealed to his needs and therefore became his home, he constructed a rather large hut in the deepest parts of the forest, killing his sociable attitude. After years of practicing without interruption, he became one of the best pegasi flyers to ever come out of Cloudsdale, however his efforts went unnoticed.

He hatched a thought that joining the wonderbolts would give him the recognition he wanted, and his practices wouldn't be wasted. The Pegasus signed up for tryouts, and a week later it was his turn to show them his stuff. He pulled off many stunts, one of which he nearly crashed during. The wonderbolts took some time to decide, and after a 3/4 vote, he was accepted into the ranks, given his suit and his title, and they set off. He toured with them, having a pretty great time wherever he went.

After a few months had passed, the wonderbolts began to recognize his stunts getting more dangerous, and more unruly. They decided for this to go unsaid for a bit, until they knew for sure that he was loosing his game. Another month passed, and Nightshade's attitude became more self-centered and rotten; some examples being his disregard of orders and complete dis-recognition of the welfare of those around him, including the audience. He was confronted about these dangerous stunts and newfound attitude. The wonderbolts asked him to "tone-down the danger factor in his stunts and put his head back with everypony else's. He refused, to put it simply. This led to a very wary group of wonderbolts monitoring him very closely from as far away as possible, while maintaining a team.

That next week, a show was scheduled for trottingham at 11:00am sharp. The stands were full, the crowd was noisy with gossip. The wonderbolts were in their own area, preparing themselves for the show, and planning their stunts accordingly. After an hour of prep, they were nearly ready to go. Nightshade was told what to do, but seemingly ignored the wonderbolt. After being asked again, he said "yeah, sure" and kept walking; with a lack of care apparent in his voice.

The show began as usual, with the reserves opening with some stunts they usually used; nothing out of the ordinary. It was now the main squad's time to perform, and they were ready. They pulled off a few well executed stunts. Aweing the crowd and sending cheers throughout the stands. About thirty minutes into the show, Nightshade broke away from the squad and emulated a very dangerous stunt that he examined in a book earlier that day, despite the stunt going off without a hitch, the wonderbolts didn't like the severity of it, but as to avoid confusion and annoyance among the standswith an abrupt stop, they simply went on with the show, rather than postponing the rest of the show. Not even fifteen minutes later, Nightshade, yet again broke from the squad, using another dangerous stunt, only this one didn't go so well. Nightshade crashed through a cloud pillar holding up the rain cover, letting it fall onto the ponies below.

Despite this incident leaving only three ponies slightly injured, it caused an uproar in the crowd and an evacuation nearly immediately. Nightshade was yanked back to the prep area seemingly content, contrary to how he should have been, knowing he just caused this affair. He was planted on his feet and his goggles were taken off. The head wonderbolt confronted him, told him he was too dangerous, and was promptly kicked off the team. This enraged him, made him more disrupt than ever before.

Soon after the kick, it made head news, becoming a huge topic in Cloudsdale's limits, making Nightshade an outcast yet again. He immediately blamed the wonderbolts for his firing and began to despise working for them. Seeking comfort in his old home in the Everfree forest, he spent a couple months hulled up in his abode, undisturbed by any outsiders. He developed a hatred for the Wonderbolts, slowly getting more and more angered with them with each passing day, but unaware of how to get revenge

One misty day, during a routine flight pattern over the forest, he spotted a familiar multi-colored mane near three figures. He recognized her as "Dashie" by many of her past and present, the pony who'd inspired him back in JSFS. Curious about the situation, Nightshade landed near the cyan pegasus and the three figures and hid, eavesdropping on their conversation. The middle of the three Pegasus figures opposite of the mare introduced all three of them as the "Shadowbolts" a rival group to the Wonderbolts. After listening about their offer for a captain and RD's refusal, he looked at them just in time to catch their decomposement into purple dust that then vanished. Coming to the realization that this group was a fraud, he thought his dreams of getting back at the Wonderbolts was going to go unrealized.

After a week of thinking, Nightshade hatched an idea; if he couldn't join the Shadowbolts, due to their unreal-ness, why not create them? It was certainly a good idea, many benefits as well. He could get revenge against the high-flying superstars, and show off his stuff. His team was thus hatched as an idea, and using the design of the fake's uniform, he made one perfectly fit for him. He designed the goggles just like the fake's as well, nearly recreating the illusion, except it was all too real this time. He donned his scarf and his outfit and set off, looking for a way to make his dreams a reality.

During his travels, he met a pegasus straight out of cloudsdale living in canterlot, the pony was a newly-graduated business student and took great interest in Nightshade's endeavors after a few meetings. Soon after the two became good friends, the business pony took up the Shadowbolt's name and created the group that is known today. The business pony is currently the manager for the group, fetching any publicity options, and getting shows prepared. Nightshade currently wears his trademark tactical flying scarf nearly all the time now, as he believes it assists him in his flying stunts. It's his own personal touch and he loves it!

Cutie Mark Story: (rather short)

The moon in the sky gleamed down upon the city of Cloudsdale, illuminating the night in a silvery cast. A small group of Pegasi were somewhat far away from the limits of the sky city, practicing stunts to their hearts content under the blanket of the night.

Their stunts were poorly coordinated and reckless, showing off their lack of finesse while trying not to. A certain pony among the ragtag group stood out slightly more than the rest, a "blank flank" by the name of "Nightshade." A young Pegasus that developed an extreme interest in trick flying. His wings were much more developed than his comrades and his stunts were obviously practiced more than those of the others.

Oblivious to their surroundings, the Pegasi young ones were unaware of the dense fog surrounding them and the skies and land in their vicinity. It became apparent to the ponies after a few minutes that they were being shaded and cut off from Cloudsdale and a few of their friends by the thick cloud cover.

As panic began to set in with some of the Pegasi, Nightshade did the opposite, instead of loosing his cool, he instead became more calm, he felt at home in this dense, seemingly purple, blanket of clouds. While the other Pegasi looked around seeing confusion and panic surrounded by an impenetrable field of fog, Nightshade examined the clouds and nearly saw right through them.

He motioned to the Pegasi to follow him, and began to fly into the unknown; a small group of Pegasi following close behind. He found the other group and motioned to them as well. They immediately caught on and trailed behind Nightshade, panic starting to drift away from their consciousness.

Once they made it out of the minefield of solid and soft dense clouds, the Pegasi drifted off to their homes, fairly quickly, almost too quickly as they completely disregarded the fact that this Pegasus had just saved them from the dreaded "death fog" as it's called. (due to its nature of getting Pegasi extremely lost, sometimes causing them to fly into objects at high speeds or even ((on rare occasions)) causing experienced Pegasi to fly miles off course.) Nightshade wasn't phased by this occurrence, heck he enjoyed it. He earned his cutie mark that night, although he didn't notice it until the next morning. Thanks to the experience he would have never known that he can see so well in the fog, allowing him to pull of stunts that utilize this dangerous fog. These types of stunts are now his main attraction, constantly thinking of new ways to use these fascinatingly dense clouds.

Pic of him :D

Done by another awesome pony; WillowBreeze! (apparently without wings lawl)

gallery_1076_80_29506.jpg

APP EDITED

| October 26 2011 | Recommender: Skye

- Changed a few aspects involving the "Rainbow Dash" part

| October 24 2011 | Recommender: Pony_Sage

- Added Cutie Mark Story

- Changed personality slightly

- Changed material that caused "incident"

- Changed cutie mark slightly

| October 24 2011 | Recommender: RCTwilightSparkle

- Removed the scarf worn during his WB times and replaced it with a much smaller addition (an edited flank patch)

- Added the scarf at the end of the last paragraph.

• Like 1

I thought we determined that shadowbolts would not be in mane RP, I could be wrong...

Don't worry, I think you're right, this is basically an attempt to get the Shadowbolts into RP, as I think they could have a ton of potential, and I added a backstory to try and make the shadowbolts more than just Nightmare Moon's illusion. This could open up some interesting RP, as the shadowbolts would be anti-wonderbolts. I'm hoping the admins will allow this, it would be SO AWESOME

Don't worry, I think you're right, this is basically an attempt to get the Shadowbolts into RP, as I think they could have a ton of potential, and I added a backstory to try and make the shadowbolts more than just Nightmare Moon's illusion. This could open up some interesting RP, as the shadowbolts would be anti-wonderbolts. I'm hoping the admins will allow this, it would be SO AWESOME

Actually because of this application, the idea is back in discussion in staff. We are chatting to see what idea(s) that would make the Shadowbolts possible, while maintaining what the mane RP is supposed to be about. A created rival group is an idea. The Wonderbolts don't compete in any sort of league or the like against other groups, they instead appear to just be an elite group created for shows and events as "the best of the best" of Pegasi. With anything, if its popular, someone will want to emulate it, so idea someone would make a rival group for shows that have its own shtick (More dangerous! More extreme!) . So we are definitely talking about it.

Actually because of this application, the idea is back in discussion in staff. We are chatting to see what idea(s) that would make the Shadowbolts possible, while maintaining what the mane RP is supposed to be about. A created rival group is an idea. The Wonderbolts don't compete in any sort of league or the like against other groups, they instead appear to just be an elite group created for shows and events as "the best of the best" of Pegasi. With anything, if its popular, someone will want to emulate it, so idea someone would make a rival group for shows that have its own shtick (More dangerous! More extreme!) . So we are definitely talking about it.

Well I would be honored to start the shadowbolts on this site, well, if they are thrown into the mane RP like I hope they are ;) I've always loved the shadowbolts, and although they dont compete in a league, they could hold a rivalry, I will do my best to determine how this could come into RP without it being a league, I was thinking something along the lines of disrupting each others shows, but of course it would need some thinking about, I would absolutely love though if this app got accepted and the shadowbolts became a reality. I think my OC's background makes enough sense, but that's just me :) I look forward to a decision ;)

Gosh, if the shadowbolts were made legal, I would make one in a heartbeat. n.n So, here's to one potential team member. That being said, I'm holding off on the OC pegi I was about to write up to see what the decision is. :3

EDIT:

Forgot to add. Great app! :D

Gosh, if the shadowbolts were made legal, I would make one in a heartbeat. n.n So, here's to one potential team member. That being said, I'm holding off on the OC pegi I was about to write up to see what the decision is. :3

EDIT:

Forgot to add. Great app! :D

Awesome :D and thanks for the compliment! It looks like some interest is being shown in the Shadowbolts, and that's just what we need! ;)

if they make the shadowbolts a go, ah well so toss mine in! :blah: so good luck on it!

Awesome, this makes three! I think we'll have to limit the amount of shadowbolts, I would say maybe six? Or even seven (the amount of confirmed different wonderbolts, including spitfire and soarin) what do you guys think?

The only thing I've been worried about for shadowbolts being in the mane RP is the wonderbolt RPers feeling forced to get roped into all of it. If the shadowbolts could do their own thing without the wonderbolt RPers having to be a part of it to make it work, I think it would be super cool to have them in mane RP! Of course the wonderbolts could get into the fun on an individual basis if they want to as well.

The only thing I've been worried about for shadowbolts being in the mane RP is the wonderbolt RPers feeling forced to get roped into all of it. If the shadowbolts could do their own thing without the wonderbolt RPers having to be a part of it to make it work, I think it would be super cool to have them in mane RP! Of course the wonderbolts could get into the fun on an individual basis if they want to as well.

Thats what the admins (and me) are trying to figure out, nothing would go "forced" though :)

How I think the RP would work: (will be put in my app)

I was thinking something along the lines of a warning if the shadowbolts are about to enter the RP with the wonderbolts, and if the wonderbolts don't want to RP it, then we'll simply reply with a departure, kind of like a spy type thing if the WBs aren't in the mood for it.

Short Example:

Me: The shadowbolts hid in the shade, debating wether or not the day would be a good time to strike. Some of the squad was for it, while others were against it, explaining that it would give no benefit to either team. While the other side argued that it would be simply for fun.

WBs in PM or something (maybe even a hint in RP that they aren't in the mood for any SB v WB RP at the moment: "Its been a long day Spitfire..." The wonderbolt felt exhausted, unable to move more than a few feet before tumbling a bit. The last thing he wanted was for something to surprise him.

This is of course, not that great of an example as this was done in 10 seconds flat, but I think you get the point, with PM messages, all they would need to say is something like "I don't really want to RP with the shadowbolts right now, do you think you guys could leave?" and with that, I would go to the topic and post something like "The mutual decision was to leave them be, there seemed to be no benefit to disrupting them, and even if the attack was for fun, it just wouldn't be as mentally rewarding as a challenge victory would."

Maybe we could even set up specific dates that a wonderbolt show would be going on and the shadowbolts arrived out of nowhere, but since the even was planned in advance, it would not be forced! Of course, these are just some ideas of mine, I think it could work. And shadowbolt wouldn't have to just be with the wonderbolts, it's not like their soul purpose in life is to dominate them, they have other things to do, my character Nightshade has a soft-spot for spas. As his parents once owned the most popular one in Cloudsdale ;) (this has yet to be put in the app, i'll get to it later) So, what do you guys think?

One of the questions we are asking ourselves is "would it work". As no one would be roped or required to join another RP, so Wonderbolt player would have to participate if they don't want to. Otherwise this takes away people's RP freedom and we want to avoid that.

I see no reason why the Wonderbolts would HAVE to respond to the shadowbolts--it's not like the shadowbolts' ONLY mission in life would be to destroy the wonderbolts. There could also be competitions, airshows, guest appearances, and just general travel amongst themselves, without the Wbolts needing to respond. And of course there's the off-days, where the Sbolts can just be casually living their lives, or training, or eating, or shopping, or romancing. I honestly think that while they ARE a competition to the Wbolts, they are just players, as well. I feel the same about the Wbolts. I certainly hope that their characters are free to just go about their normal lives, and not just always be in competition, or performing. Sure, they love to fly and do tricks--but everypony gets sore wings once in awhile, and just wants to snooze on a cloud! or go shopping! or sit and have a meal!

While the Sbolts will have the ulterior motive that the wbolts don't, I see no reason they should be treated any differently than them, or any other normal character.

:/

I see no reason why the Wonderbolts would HAVE to respond to the shadowbolts--it's not like the shadowbolts' ONLY mission in life would be to destroy the wonderbolts. There could also be competitions, airshows, guest appearances, and just general travel amongst themselves, without the Wbolts needing to respond. And of course there's the off-days, where the Sbolts can just be casually living their lives, or training, or eating, or shopping, or romancing. I honestly think that while they ARE a competition to the Wbolts, they are just players, as well. I feel the same about the Wbolts. I certainly hope that their characters are free to just go about their normal lives, and not just always be in competition, or performing. Sure, they love to fly and do tricks--but everypony gets sore wings once in awhile, and just wants to snooze on a cloud! or go shopping! or sit and have a meal!

While the Sbolts will have the ulterior motive that the wbolts don't, I see no reason they should be treated any differently than them, or any other normal character.

:/

TBH, i couldn't have said it any better myself, although shadowbolts are a bit more devious than Wonderbolts, they're still basically regular pegasi, but they're views on morals are slightly warped, wether it be by personal experience or maybe something inherently wrong with them, thats not to say that they're rage-filled speed demons, for instance, Nightshade is acutally fairly friendly to anypony that isn't the wonderbolts. He still hates pegasi that don't use their wings like he thinks they should: practicing and becoming faster that the others, he thinks they were given wings for a reason. But nonetheless, he is a sociable pegasus, although not nearly as much so as before he left for the Everfree forest.

Any progress with the decision? Sorry if I sound anxious, I just want to get into RP ASAP :)

I am just waiting for Manestream's final approval, then I think I would like to make the idea public, get all of you folk's feedback.

Sorry, I'm just really anxious lol :)

The inital idea has been green lighted, what we are still working out is how to prevent the idea from getting abused; either by people pulling a "Mary Sue" or constantly hassling Wonderbolt players and crashing Wonderbolt RPs.

I would like to open the Shadowbolt discussion to the general user base to get everyone's thoughts on the idea and for added suggestions. Also think a lot of people here don't even realize you can play a Wonderbolt.