Fears and Phobias

Total-Tortilla

Everypony's afraid of something, whether they want to admit it or not. What about you guys?

For me, I just got reminded ever so kindly by my dad that I need to go to the doctor for a check-up. My last doctor visit reminded me that I'm due for a tetanus shot. Doctors Offices make me horribly anxious, and needles scare me out of my skin. Put the two together and I am reduced to a crying child.

I don't seem to have a problem with shots. I was scared of them when I was real young, and I'm probably talking somewhere in the ballpark of 5-years-old when I had to get one before entering elementary school. After that, I didn't have to get any until going into high school and at that time I wondered what I was so afraid of as a kid, lol. It would kinda suck to be afraid of them now anyway, considering they vaccinate the heck out of you in the military. xP

Anyway, if I'm involved in just about any sort of social gathering, I get all anxious and can't wait to the heck out of it. Recently I've been enlightened to the fact the that I'll mentally withdraw myself around others because I've been trying to hang out with people more and a couple of them have told me that I didn't respond to them at all, even though I was aware enough to walk with them and not run into anything. I dunno if that's some weird phobia or what. O.o

Guest ElementOfLaughter

I'm super duper scared of spiders. And sharks. And the dark sometimes. And zombies. Everypony says it won't happen, but that's why it'll happen! Some mad scientist pony is going to make zombies just to make zombies!

I'm super duper scared of spiders. And sharks. And the dark sometimes. And zombies. Everypony says it won't happen, but that's why it'll happen! Some mad scientist pony is going to make zombies just to make zombies!

Well there is a Swedish scientist who invented a super flu that was predicted to be able to wipe out half of the human race...

Here are my top three:

1) Being forced into a quick decision

2) Mushrooms

3) Getting Fired

I do not operate well under pressure. I need time to analyze and contemplate. I have trouble speaking and thinking under such situations and become a basket case.

The third one is rooted in who knows what. As a little kid, I was absolutely terrified of all flora more complicated than simple trees and grasses. Eventually, I got over the flowers, but I was still mowing directly over the veggies in order to not have to touch them, and mowing circles around any mushrooms. Later still, I could close my eyes going over the mushrooms and pretend they didn't exist. Now I pick them off pizza with some creative denial, but I still walk past that aisle quickly. The ones in the ground still freak me out though. My chest tightens, I start sweating and breathing becomes labored. Oh cha, just typing about them is stressful.

The getting fired one is ridiculous. I perform well at work, but for some reason, I perpetually doubt my value. Now that I think about this, I wish I had brought this up the last time I talked with my therapist.

Well there is a Swedish scientist who invented a super flu that was predicted to be able to wipe out half of the human race...

Fear is a product of two things: the horror that it would bring if it happened times the probability of it happening. I square the horror because fear isn't completely rational.

My plane crashing, a super flu, etc. are not fearsome to me because they seem completely improbable.

Of my top three (if probability is from 0 to 1, and horror goes from 0 to 100):

the first is medium probability, high horror (.50*30^2=450 fear units)

the second is high probability, low horror (.90*10^2=90 fear units)

the third is very low probability, very high horror (.005*100^2=50 fear units)

ah, I'm afraid of calling people (I'll answer the phone if somebody calls me though)

I'm afraid of counsellor offices the way that some people are afraid of hospitals

I'm so afraid of offending/disappointing people or doing something wrong, that if I feel like I've done harm, I almost feel like throwing up.

Big equipment that isn't running. That goes for everything from car engines to walk-in kilns to x-ray and gamma ray centric medical equipment. I feel perfectly comfortable near any machine whose operating state I understand, but there's something terrifying about knowing that it COULD BE RUNNING BUT ISN'T BUT COULD BE. x_x

Guest ElementOfLaughter

ah, I'm afraid of calling people (I'll answer the phone if somebody calls me though)

I'm afraid of counsellor offices the way that some people are afraid of hospitals

I'm so afraid of offend/disappointing people or doing something wrong, that if I feel like I've done harm, I almost feel like throwing up.

Hospitals always seem fun at first with those really cool atriums, and then you get to all the sad and sick deeper inside. I've also played too many horror games, and my imagination leaves me standing in the middle of the darkened hallway with the vamponies and zombies.

Hospitals always seem fun at first with those really cool atriums, and then you get to all the sad and sick deeper inside. I've also played too many horror games, and my imagination leaves me standing in the middle of the darkened hallway with the vamponies and zombies.

I've never been afraid of hospitals. I spent a week in one once and it was one of the best experiences of my life :3

I have a mild fear of anything with more than four legs, and heights. However, I have a paralyzing fear of needles, thanks for a spinal tap I had performed on me at age five due to a false prognosis of spinal meningitis. Yay for traumatizing childhood experiences!!! x_X

I'm so afraid of offend/disappointing people or doing something wrong, that if I feel like I've done harm, I almost feel like throwing up.

That one used to be a huge one for me. It still manifests in my third item, but at least it is not everywhere any more.

Heights... and flying, dear Celestia I hate flying.

Anything above a two story building frightens me. If its on or above the third story of a building, I have a really really hard time getting close to the railing. Its odd though, if I'm looking at it from an angle, like standing away from the railing and looking out, I'm okay. But as soon as I get close and the view becomes more "vertical," my heart thumps in my ears and I feel like my chest is compressing and I'm about to fall over.

Here are mine:

I'm scared of

1) Heights

2) Ghosts

Yeah you read that, i said ghosts. Dont judge me :D.

I am i big believer in spirits and have gone on "ghost hunts".

Lets just say I was touched, saw something in a mirror that I should not of saw, and am now paranoid to sleep at night if i hear a noise :)

I wouldn't say I'm afraid of heights, but my body seems to be. I have no fearful thoughts when standing on a precipice, but I get all the physiological symptoms of fear: sweaty palms, racing heart, tense muscles, adrenaline dump.

People with knives. Whoever's using or holding a knife, I watch them carefully.

Drowned a couple times, and water used to be pretty bad for me. Mostly over it, but still get tense if my face is under running water.

Heights- I almost fell out of my seventh story flat window which open so wide you can throw a washing machine out of it when I was like...12-14-

Darkness-depends on the level and my mood. I have my reasons..and they are good...thats all-

Chemicals-My worst fear is puking to death or drowning of lungs, one can be caused by over intake of certain chemical material so in reaction I have a dislike to all chemicals-

Talking to the opposite sex. There are other fears that I have but this is the main one and the first one that came to mind when I was reading this forum.

I find it really hard to do anything with the opposite sex :S and although I have nothing against them, I am not a homosexual.

This is exactly like me. I am not a Homosexual nor do I have any problem with them at all. But, I have such a hard time talking to girls it's not even funny.

2. Speed

3. Heights (Combine number 2 and 3 and I am a nervous wreck. I don't really like most roller coasters)

4. Needles.(If my bleeding disorder didn't stop me from getting a tattoo I would probably pass out the moment I ever saw the needle)

5. Making conversation!

I'm afraid of being late, and of doing or saying something wrong in general. It used to be much worse when I was a kid, and I was extremely timid and quiet. It's much better now, but I still have trouble talking to people I don't know, and I create new threads with caution, and a lot of little things like that.

Falling asleep is difficult for me. Go figure. I keep the curtains open to let the moonlight in, and I keep an eye on the door and the window, which are the only entries in my room. I also tend to double check the lock on the door. If I don't I get too anxious to fall asleep and I stay awake.

And heights too ! Bending over and get a falling view is scary, I'm scared of falling. But at the same time I want to fall ! Not that I want to crash, but I'd love to fly and be in the air. It's weird. I should try a "deltaplane" one day (wikipedia tells me it's also named hang glider), it would probably be very fun.

Talking to the opposite sex. There are other fears that I have but this is the main one and the first one that came to mind when I was reading this forum.

I find it really hard to do anything with the opposite sex :S and although I have nothing against them, I am not a homosexual.

This is exactly like me. I am not a Homosexual nor do I have any problem with them at all. But, I have such a hard time talking to girls it's not even funny.

"There's nothing wrong with you that hasn't gone wrong with every other human male since the model first came out."--Captain Kirk.

Of all things in this world I am only irrationally afraid of ice skating. For some reason every time I picture myself ice skating, or walk by the Frog Pond in Boston I just pictured fingers being sliced off. And I feel nauseous. Yes I know that the likelihood of this happening is super slim...and even slimmer when you're dealing with kids in dull-as-hell skates. But still.

This does not extend to watching Hockey (which I just don't like, not avoiding it because of the ice skates) or figure skating. Just mostly myself, Rockefeller Plaza, and watching children skate.

Heights? Well that's funny, I am afraid of falling from a survivable but traumatic height, like 2-3 stories, but from a 20th or the like floor, when people down there looks like gnats, no problemmo!

As a kid I had fear of flowers... I remember it began a day I tried to sniff one and it just sprung to my face (out of my breathing vacuum).

Also Moths, the fat ones with disproportionally small wings only able to fly by fluttering them awful fast... Like squishy humming birds.