Is Discord Allowed?

Ashton

This strikes me as a shock, but I've searched the RP forums in both accepted and pending applications, the rules, approved species, etc, but I've found _NO_ reference to our Favorite Draconaqus! (If I've missed it, please dissregard and lock this topic)

Thus, the very simple version of my question: May I play Discord in the Main RP? (pending approved application, of course) Or is there a silent ban on the character?

Keep in mind: I know how RPs work, and I know how to play Gods --- namely force their powers into a more limited form (in this case for reasons I'll explain in the application, Though he's escaped again, Discord is NOT at full power and has decided he must learn about the world if he is to conquer it, thus he appears in the form of a pony or griffen (which former limits his powers as he cannot fly as a unicorn and cannot perform magic as a pegasus/earth pony, and the only way he can access his full power is to return to his chimera form, which obviously would get him frozen in stone again if anyone sees him using it --- also his reality-warping power is limited to a 10' radius from his body)

I would assume that because he was returned to his stone imprisonment, that he couldn't be in the RP. That, and also because his race isn't on the approved races list.

But then again I'm not over the RP, but that's just how I see it. Perhaps someone of more authority could come in and clarify, I'm just saying not to get your hopes up, unfortunately.

Unless I'm terribly mistaken, Discord was considered for the Mane RP but the final decision of the Staff was that he is simply too powerful and the potential for God-Modding is simply too large.

If I recall, somepony did an application for him once almost immediately after the season premiere. It was rejected and Discord was said to be off limits for the Mane RP. Unless opinions have changed since then, you're probably out of luck.

Edit: Or basically what Fawkes said... :P

Unless I'm terribly mistaken, Discord was considered for the Mane RP but the final decision of the Staff was that he is simply too powerful and the potential for God-Modding is simply too large.

This is what I was expecting, but I surprisingly could find nothing in the posts about him or his species being banned, that's why I asked.

This strikes me as a shock, but I've searched the RP forums in both accepted and pending applications, the rules, approved species, etc, but I've found _NO_ reference to our Favorite Draconaqus! (If I've missed it, please dissregard and lock this topic)

That wouldn't answer your question now, would it?

So, to answer:

^ This, as well as:

I would assume that because he was returned to his stone imprisonment, that he couldn't be in the RP.

Discord may as well be dead, because unless he's unfrozen from his stone prison in show, he can't exist in the Mane RP. Since we try to keep close to canon, in canon, he's frozen. He has not been shown to have escaped.

I surprisingly could find nothing in the posts about him or his species being banned, that's why I asked.

Discord is classified as a monster:

Monsters are not playable except by staff, and only for the purposes of Special RP.

Once again, Tales, you answer my questions perfectly. I dont think your a Brony, I think your secretly Princess Celestia Herself! ;-)

That wouldn't answer your question now, would it?

So, to answer:

Discord may as well be dead, because unless he's unfrozen from his stone prison in show, he can't exist in the Mane RP. Since we try to keep close to canon, in canon, he's frozen. He has not been shown to have escaped.

Awww... well it's not like I cant fix that! *pulls out necronomicon* (JK! JK!)

I'm just a little dissapointed because I think it could make for a very interested semi-redemption story (Discord decides to learn about the world before he destroys it and his views change slightly --- also, taking it to it's logical extreme nobody ELSE can destroy it untill he's done, making him a silent anti-hero, or, rather, turning him from a complete monster to a noble demon) it would have been so amusing to explore his new relationships with the ponies when he appears as one of their own...

Discord is classified as a monster:

Well that explains it, I was looking for "Draconiqus" or some variation...

And discounting discord I must ask, why are only staff allowed to play monsters? (Is it to avoid turning the RP into a Fantasy Kitchen Sink?) because the she has shown a lot of 'monsters' that were intellegent and could even play off a episode-like moral of "dont judge a book by it's cover"

(also for some reason the reply box is acting funny for me, I'm seeing raw HTML and most of the quote tags you used vanished...)

Once again, Tales, you answer my questions perfectly. I dont think your a Brony, I think your secretly Princess Celestia Herself! ;-)

'm just a little dissapointed because I think it could make for a very interested semi-redemption story (Discord decides to learn about the world before he destroys it and his views change slightly --- also, taking it to it's logical extreme nobody ELSE can destroy it untill he's done, making him a silent anti-hero, or, rather, turning him from a complete monster to a noble demon) it would have been so amusing to explore his new relationships with the ponies when he appears as one of their own...

It sounds more like an interesting fanfic rather than something that belongs in the Mane RP. Still, interesting. Maybe you could write it.

And discounting discord I must ask, why are only staff allowed to play monsters? (Is it to avoid turning the RP into a Fantasy Kitchen Sink?)
simply too powerful and the potential for God-Modding is simply too large.
because the she has shown a lot of 'monsters' that were intellegent and could even play off a episode-like moral of "dont judge a book by it's cover"

Please give some examples. Steven Magnet (the sea serpent from episode 2) is actually a playable character. The Manticore from the same episode is not. Steven is intelligent, though considered a monster, while the Manticore is unintelligent and uncontrollable. Discord is trapped in stone, and Nightmare Moon no longer exists.

• Like 1

Lol +1!

It sounds more like an interesting fanfic rather than something that belongs in the Mane RP. Still, interesting. Maybe you could write it.

oh gawd I dont need another 'fic to write! lol I'm actively writing 3 and have plans for like 5 more... I really need to get off my tail and finish up chapter 1 of the longest one and post it... (I have chapter 1 finished of one story but since this fic is semi-serialized (the villain plot progresses as an arc but the mane-6 plot is more-or-less episodic like the series) and this is "book two" so to speak, I've not posted it)

I feel it could come off as cheesy if not handled perfectly in a story (not that I'm completely innocent of writing cheesy stories...) and also I have major conflicts in ideas of how it should play out with his meeting/reaction to each character... Though I might try doing an "audience participation" spin and offering polls on which story fork to take... when my muse takes another vacation I might just try this method of inspiration and see how it works...

Please give some examples. Steven Magnet (the sea serpent from episode 2) is actually a playable character. The Manticore from the same episode is not. Steven is intelligent, though considered a monster, while the Manticore is unintelligent and uncontrollable. Discord is trapped in stone, and Nightmare Moon no longer exists.

Oooo a challenge, I like challenges :D Off the top of my head the Hydra comes to mind, since (at least 1 head) seemed quite intelligent. (and one might even interpret said head's though as "why are you idiots doing this!? We'll never win, lets just go home!") Also I never considered NMM to be a monster, just an antagonist pony like Trixie cranked up to 11... (i agree the mantacore is in essence a wild animal that could, at best, be a 'pet' (why can I so easily imagine Fluttershy keeping this creature in her home and naming it fluffy? ;) ) Also why would Steven Magnet (gotta love youtube's auto-caption!) be a monster? he's obviously a dragon (eastern water dragon) even if they made his mustache far too short (arguably he should have a Fu-Manchu) though I guess that would have been more difficult for rarity to fix...) I'll post more after I have some time to think about it, I have the feeling there are like 6-10 "monsters" that could be considered intelegent and playable.

Oooo a challenge, I like challenges :D Off the top of my head the Hydra comes to mind, since (at least 1 head) seemed quite intelligent. (and one might even interpret said head's though as "why are you idiots doing this!? We'll never win, lets just go home!") Also I never considered NMM to be a monster, just an antagonist pony like Trixie cranked up to 11... (i agree the mantacore is in essence a wild animal that could, at best, be a 'pet' (why can I so easily imagine Fluttershy keeping this creature in her home and naming it fluffy? ;) ) Also why would Steven Magnet (gotta love youtube's auto-caption!) be a monster? he's obviously a dragon (eastern water dragon) even if they made his mustache far too short (arguably he should have a Fu-Manchu) though I guess that would have been more difficult for rarity to fix...) I'll post more after I have some time to think about it, I have the feeling there are like 6-10 "monsters" that could be considered intelegent and playable.

But the Hydra never spoke, and though it may have seemed to have some level of intelligence, the creature was more about wreaking havoc than waxing philosophic. Heck, you could say the Manticore was smart as well. He knew to be grateful when Fluttershy helped him and not eat her directly afterward. The Hydra and Manticore are on the same intelligence level.

Steven Magnet is a full grown Dragon, and full grown Dragons are monsters. That is why full grown Dragons are not playable.

And to help you out, I'll list the other un-playable monsters. I guess monsters can be described as creatures that are very large and destroy things for no reason, regardless of intelligence. (Although so far the only monster we've seen speak are adult Dragons. Speaking implies some intelligence.)

Cockatrice (not big, but anything they look at turns to stone. How would that work?)

Ursa Minor and Ursa Major

Sea Serpents other than Steven Magnet (they count as adult Dragons)

Quarray eel

There are actually eight monsters total in the series, although Dragons have appeared multiple times.

Thus, the very simple version of my question: May I play Discord in the Main RP? (pending approved application, of course) Or is there a silent ban on the character?

Keep in mind: I know how RPs work, and I know how to play Gods --- namely force their powers into a more limited form (in this case for reasons I'll explain in the application, Though he's escaped again, Discord is NOT at full power and has decided he must learn about the world if he is to conquer it, thus he appears in the form of a pony or griffen (which former limits his powers as he cannot fly as a unicorn and cannot perform magic as a pegasus/earth pony, and the only way he can access his full power is to return to his chimera form, which obviously would get him frozen in stone again if anyone sees him using it --- also his reality-warping power is limited to a 10' radius from his body)

I'm the one who applied for Discord minutes after the "Return of Harmony - Part 2" episode first aired.

I figured it was worth a shot, but alas, the mods on this websites turned me down.

However, I did apply for the famous 'animation error' blue pony from "Best Night Ever" and won the right to RP him (as a crossover).

(I named him 'Sye Klops')

:D:D:D:D:D