Also, this ep sort of cements the fact that Applebloom's parents (and thus AJ and Big Mac's too) are NOT alive.

Otherwise, why wouldn't she mention that "my parents can't come either because..."

Still 'dodging' the issue, MLP FiM writers?

Well, anyway, this was a GREAT EPISODE regardless of that issue still being open

• Like 1

Well, I'm pleased with that episode. Episode-wise, we got the history of Ponyville, some cool magic apples, lines from Big Mac beyond "Eeeyup" and Diamond Tiara got her comeuppance (with an adorable bunny costume).

RP wise, DT now has a father (who isn't anywhere near as bad as she is, presumably beacuse he actually knows the value of a bit) and Granny Smith is a helluva lot more respectable when you consider that the town exists because of her.

I thought the episode sort of dragged...then the last ten minutes happened.

My thoughts exactly. that last part was just... wow!

• Like 1

It's not a very detailed map.

Only real major discrepancy is the placement of the Everfree Forest.

I think it's easy enough to just ignore as far as board canon goes.

And don't forget about Uncle Apple Streudel!

YAY!! A new German pony!!!!!

Ok, quick thought. IF Apple Streudel is GRANNY'S uncle, then that'd make him OLDER than she is!

WOW!!!! MORE of the Apple family tree!

It's not a very detailed map.

Only real major discrepancy is the placement of the Everfree Forest.

I think it's easy enough to just ignore as far as board canon goes.

Oh, I'm aware that it can be ignored. It's a slippery slope, though, because the only reason for it would be not that it's gamebreaking or anything like that, but only that a very valued community member put a considerable effort in making up a map with what little information we had before. And members of the staff did tell me before that if ever there would be a clear contradiction in the show to board lore, it would have to be changed.

I'm not advocating changing the map, because I really like the one we have, but there are implications in not changing it, too. Something to be considered, IMO.

Hehe, the look on Granny's mother's face when her father kissed Celestia's hoof XD

So.... Zap Apples. They require weird rituals and bizzare actions to make them grow, or to make jam with them. Are they just magic, or was Discord involved somehow?

"Hmm, yes, I know! Rainbow coloured apples that electrocute those who try to pick them early! If if you pick them late... they disappear! Beautiful Chaos! Ahahahahaha!"

• Like 3

D:

*shock and awe*

I barely had anything to say during the two times I watched it. I was too busy trying to figure out what I was watching.

a very strange episode that I'll probably have to watch a third or fourth time XD strange, but great

Ohmygosh, I just noticed something.

Applejack was the ONLY pony out of the mane six to show up this episode. :smug:

Imagine, if you will, an episode without ANY if the mane six. Because we're getting close to such an episode.

Woah. So that, and no letter to Celestia. Could it be that an episode consisting of only background ponies is on the way? :P

• Like 1

Hehe, the look on Granny's mother's face when her father kissed Celestia's hoof XD

So.... Zap Apples. They require weird rituals and bizzare actions to make them grow, or to make jam with them. Are they just magic, or was Discord involved somehow?

"Hmm, yes, I know! Rainbow coloured apples that electrocute those who try to pick them early! If if you pick them late... they disappear! Beautiful Chaos! Ahahahahaha!"

Definitely sounds like something Discord would come up with.: :P

They did originate in the Everfree forest as well.

I'm sure when Rainbow's mother was pregnant with her, she ate a lot of Zap apples. It's the only explanation!

As for the map thing ... it was written by an old, forgetful mare -- I suppose you could game the canon map to be inaccurate by means of senior dementia. It's also a bit crammed together or it wouldn't have fit on the screen.

So um, anyone find Derpy yet? Also that's some crazy fast fan art.

I'm sure when Rainbow's mother was pregnant with her, she ate a lot of Zap apples. It's the only explanation!

As for the map thing ... it was written by an old, forgetful mare -- I suppose you could game the canon map to be inaccurate by means of senior dementia. It's also a bit crammed together or it wouldn't have fit on the screen.

So um, anyone find Derpy yet? Also that's some crazy fast fan art.

The Mare Do Well fanart was crazy fast. I saw at least 10 of them (Most done really well) About two-three hours after the episode premiered.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, this episode was SO GREAT! On first impression, my favorite of the season. I don't think I'm capable of disliking a CMC episode.

That map, while not detailed, does have a few things worth noting: It's in a valley between two mountains. This would surely change the map, and my heart goes out to Brianblackberry if they decide there's a change in the works. Cloudsdlae is really easy to move around the map, so that one's no biggie (it also makes unlikely my theory that Cloudsdale is a mobile city. Everfree forest, likewise, can be moved with a little effort, and it wouldn't change much.

Neigh, the real biggie, if they incorporate it, are those mountains west of Ponyville.

On to the little things in the ep: I didn't see derpy, but the fat colt in the corner of the classroom is super cute. Timberwolves are super cool looking, and they make me like my local sports team that much more. And apple breeders need to get to breeding zap apples, stat. Rainbow apples need to happen.

Zap Apples will spawn tons of Epileptic Trees. Look up the term if you're not familiar, basically means "crazy nonsensical fan theories."

Here goes: Among the other magical properties of Zap Apples, they can prolong a pony's lifespan if enough are consumed. Based on what Twilight tells us about Winter Wrap-Up, Ponyville was founded hundreds of years ago. Granny Smith is actually about 300 years old. Other ponies haven't eaten as many Zap Apples as her, so their lives haven't been affected in any significant way.

No Spike, Ponyville was started by Earth ponies, so for hundreds of years they've never used magic to clean up winter. It's traditional.

Cartoons with loose canon are SO MUCH FUN.

• Like 2