Pancakes ( this post has nothing to do with pancakes)

bronyforever

Princess Celestia is a princess, and Prince Blueblood is a prince, but he is also Princess Celestia's nephew and since Princess Celestia's only known sibling is Luna, then that means that Princess Luna is Prince Blueblood's mother is Princess Luna. Which I find sort of wierd.

Not entirely true. They could just have multiple sisters.

EXAMPLE!

I have an Aunt Cynthia.

There is also one in my family, Janet, who is Cynthia's sister.

However, these are two sisters of my father! Janet is, yes, my other aunt.

While an interesting observation on your part, I don't think it really proves anything one way or the other.

EDIT:

It's actually wrong. Lauren Faust has specifically stated that there is indeed a very distant relationship, but it's not as easy as 'nephew' and 'aunt'. That's just shorthand because there's way too many modifiers in there to actually be able to trace out.

That too.

Remember that Ms. Faust originally intended for Celestia's rank to be Queen, but Hasbro wanted her to be a Princess because Princesses sell better than Queens. I'm too lazy at the moment to dig up the information to support this, but I'm sure a few others here can confirm this.

Princess Celestia is a princess, and Prince Blueblood is a prince, but he is also Princess Celestia's nephew and since Princess Celestia's only known sibling is Luna, then that means that Princess Luna is Prince Blueblood's mother is Princess Luna. Which I find sort of wierd.

This was asked of Faust some time ago, because of course people speculated about this very issue. This is what she said at the time of his first appearance (Ticket Master):

He's the great great great great great great great great great great great (and probably even more greats) nephew on Celestia's and Luna's mother's side, about 52 times removed, roughly speaking. I would have preferred to call him a Duke, but someone in the approval process thought kids wouldn't know what a Duke is. Luna and Celestia have no siblings and no children. Also that's a fan name, he has no official name on the show.

Direct link here.

Since then he has been named "Prince Blueblood" but as per what Laruen said, there is no indication either Royal Sisters have an offspring at all. Her explanation does make sense, in that the target audience would be confused by other noble titles such as Duke, Count, Viscount, or Earl, so they used "prince".

hi hi

I don't see any reason to think she was joking... I figure since Princess Platinum was the daughter of the Unicorn King, once she helped establish Equestria, that may well have been the start of the tradition of having a ruling Princess. And it sort of implies that there's a lineage of princes and princesses that extends beyond Celestia and Luna.

Remember that Ms. Faust originally intended for Celestia's rank to be Queen, but Hasbro wanted her to be a Princess because Princesses sell better than Queens. I'm too lazy at the moment to dig up the information to support this, but I'm sure a few others here can confirm this.

You are correct:

That's what happened. I was told that because of Disney movies, girls assume that Queens are evil (although I only remember 1 evil queen) and Princesses are good. I was also told that the perceived youth of a Princess is preferable to consumers.

She does not have parents that outrank her. I brought the weirdness of that situation to my bosses, but it did not seem to be a continuity concern to them, so I'm letting it alone. I always wanted her to be the highest authority, and so she remains so. And I certainly don't want marriage to be what would escalate her. (Bad messages to girls and what not.)

Sorry I couldn't give you a more satisfying answer. Maybe as the series goes on we can thread something together. I put up a bit of a fight when her title changed, but you win some, you loose some.

Direct link here.