Spikey Wikey the Dragon

Tenkan

We've all seen Spike's many forms (newborn and mature), but we're not fully sure what kind of dragon he is.

He doesn't have wings, meaning he's some sort of a....land dragon?

Or perhaps...a water dragon?

Spikegrowing-1.png

SpiketheBigDragon-1.png

PS.

I found this sketch on the MLP:FiM wiki and found it very interesting.

DragonSketchfemalelaurenfaust.jpg

It's a sketch from Lauren Faust of a female dragon.

Do you think we might see this in the show?

I found it interesing that "greedy adult" Spike is so different from the "innocent and chunky appearing adult" Spike when Twilight went berserk in hatching him in the Cutie Mark Chronicles.

The hatchling had no motivations and did not look menacing when he was instantly zapped to adult size before Celestia got things under control. If Spike can control his emotions and even keep a Noble/Heroic mindset, could he have a 3rd version of an adult look for him in the future?

That female dragon looks awesome. I hope she gets used at some point.

As for Spike, probably just some kind of land dragon. It doesn't seem all that unusual for me. Not all dragons have wings.

My headcanon is that Spike is a dragon who's form/future depends on his emotions/heart, as sappy as that might sound. We see him more anthromorphic and heroic when he dreams himself as one with a pure heart, or overall good guy. He turns into a large, childish looking dragon because his aspirations and ambitions as a newborn are minimal, if not nonexistant. He turns into a full-blown Western Dragon, sans wings, when he becomes overcome with greed, like all the dragons we've seen so far. It wouldn't make sense for Celestia to allow Twilight to live with/raise Spike if he would only end up becoming evil and greedy. Personally, I dubbed this type of dragon as 'Harmonic Dragon'.

I pretty much agree with DosEquus

It appears his form changes depending on how he chooses to grow up. If he's greedy, he'll grow quickly into a selfish dragon, much like the red on in Dragonshy. If I'm not mistaken, didn't the two even share similar body structures aside from the wings? On the other hand, when he was zapped to instant-adult without any idea of HOW he wanted to live, he seemed to be pretty plain and not menacing at all.

I guess this could also mean that perhaps dragons EVOLVE as to what they need. The red dragon may have grown wings because he needed to travel a lot. Spike enjoys Ponyville and doesn't want to leave, so he needs no mode of transportation.

I think that the Chronicles Spike (giant first hatched) wasnt "Adult" so much as "enlarged." Personally I dont consider that to be anything like what he will be. We've seen 2 other dragons and 1 creature that I would call a water dragon (Steven Magnet) not to mention the 'evil' adult spike. All of them were lean and well-formed, while the "enlarged" spike was almost grotesguely deformed.

I'm personally hoping he grows wings as he gets older, just because flying means so much to me, but to be realistic, I think he's a land dragon and wont ever fly (outside of mechanically like in the balloon or perhaps a steampunk flight harness) Though I'm still hoping wings just take time to grow in, I suspect he would have been born with them, even if they were vestigal and "useless" at that size.

On the other paw, both adult dragons AND the above Faust drawing show wings, so it seems unlikely there are many, or any, true "land dragons" in equestria, though we might simply not have seen them.

Easy, Pokemon if you know what i mean he is evolving as twilight trains him . Only way I could explain it. :P

I laughed at this, but when I think about it, it does kinda make sence, and adds an interesting level to the world (including making me wonder if dragons coudl evolve differently based on serving Good or Evil masters...)