what do u want the most from hasbro?

TheUnknownGurl

moar hasbro merch?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want the most from hasbro?

• Complete Series DVD/Blu-ray
    • Original Soundtrack
    • A MLP:FIM Video Game
    • All of'em! x3

But what the video game is going to be about could sway my decision in favor of a video game... If I already know it's going to suck, or if there's no way one would happen at all, there's nothing to really hope for. I don't want a video game for little girls, I want a DVD. But say you pit the Man6 game against a DVD set, rather than the anticipated kids game? That changes the balance from bad VS good to good VS good, making the decision a little harder.

I disagree. I would say that more guys play FPS shooter games like Halo than girls do. Because it IS a game aimed at guys rather than aimed for gender neutral. Girls are more likely to watch a romance movie than guys, because that's aimed at them. I would say Mario is totally a gender neutral game, as are a TON of others. If a game is geared towards a certain gender, it's going to sell to that gender. If it's not very specific about being strictly for guys or girls, it's going to draw in both sexes. However, it's going to draw from the middle demographic, neither for guys nor girls. So... it's basically like this:

venn%252Bdiagram.gif

Boys on one side, girls on the other, and they meet in the middle. All sections are about the same size, so whoever the company is targeting to, they're going to bring in roughly the same amount of profit.

Those are basically the three types of games, although they can sway more to one side or the other. When you get into one of the outer circles, the game is probably a bit sexist, so won't appeal to the opposite gender because it's not meant to.

So, like I said... I'm basing my decision on the fact that a DVD set is going to be the episodes, plain and simple. I've seen them and know that I like them. I've also heard the songs and like them. I have seen the past video games, and like the first one... when I was younger. The only knowledge of what a video game could be like is from the sucky pink ones they've made in the past.

Issue with your Halo scenario is I described a situation where kids were playing kid games, not adults playing 'adult/m rated' games. A good kid game is almost universally genderless, and that is the game we are discussing. Halo- and most T-Rated and all M-rated games- have no real relevance to this discussion as said game would have kids as the target, with appeal to older gamers coming from quality- which is the same as every successful family product, really, whether that is a Disney film, FiM, or Mario.

Issue with your Halo scenario is I described a situation where kids were playing kid games, not adults playing 'adult/m rated' games. A good kid game is almost universally genderless, and that is the game we are discussing. Halo- and most T-Rated and all M-rated games- have no real relevance to this discussion as said game would have kids as the target, with appeal to older gamers coming from quality- which is the same as every successful family product, really, whether that is a Disney film, FiM, or Mario.

I can almost gurantee that an MLP game made by Hasbro will be targeted girls. It will not be genderless. If Hasbro goes for a neutral game, I will be really surprised.

^I would be surprised too. Hasbro's products have never been exactly genderless IMO. All of the products I've seen from them have been either one way, or the other.

Still, just because it isn't genderless doesn't mean it won't be good. However, if the quality of the game were equal to the quality and faith of MLP LIVE, then I would be miffed admittedly.

I can almost gurantee that an MLP game made by Hasbro will be targeted girls. It will not be genderless. If Hasbro goes for a neutral game, I will be really surprised.

And a few years ago, would you have believed that you'd be on a forum dedicated to MLP? Yeah, it is highly unlikely that Hasbro would do that. It was also highly unlikely that FiM would turn out to have such wide appeal.

And since the topic asks us what we want and not what we think is likely...because if it asked us what was likely, there should be an option for, "None of the above." since I believe that a real Season 1 Box set with special features, a good MLP game, or an OST are all highly unlikely. (Though of the three, an OST is most realistic.)

^I would be surprised too. Hasbro's products have never been exactly genderless IMO. All of the products I've seen from them have been either one way, or the other.

Still, just because it isn't genderless doesn't mean it won't be good. However, if the quality of the game were equal to the quality and faith of MLP LIVE, then I would be miffed admittedly.

Yes, take MLP: Live... probably not super great, but I've never watched the whole thing. Toys? Celestia is pink. Show? Good, because Faust was involved as well as some other great people, who do not design the toys, probably did not write the live show, and will likely not have a hand in the video game.

And a few years ago, would you have believed that you'd be on a forum dedicated to MLP? Yeah, it is highly unlikely that Hasbro would do that. It was also highly unlikely that FiM would turn out to have such wide appeal.

I probably wouldn't have denied the possibility. I've been a fan since I was a kid.

This.

I've seen some very good fan games that were genderless, like a mario-clone with pinkypie collecting cupcakes and avoiding "baked bads" which *might* be an option for an official game, but as Tales put it above, there is really a divide between Male-Neutral-Female games. Even genderless games tend to attract one of the two sides often - using the same example, how many males would want to play a platformer where they're a pink pony? Ignoring the fact that Pinkie is an awesome character there is a certain amount of "pink is for girls" that will bleed in, especially with a younger crowd that goes though "Girls are Gross!"/"Boys are gross!" phases.

The only way I could see a game that would appeal to a lot of audiences is something like I've suggested before "Rainbow Dash Cloud Racers" which is *still* more on the male side than the female because racing games tend to sell more to boys.

If, and this is a BIG if, Hasbro sees the Bronies as a substantial market worth dedicating resources to, I think we might see games like the racing game I suggested, but as much as I hate it, I would bet money on there never being a substantial JRPG like so many of us would desire (and no way in hell will there be a FPS) they *might* attempt to make a mario-clone, but without substantial tweaking (essentially doubling the art where you chose, say, Dash ("Mario") or Pinkie ("Luigi") and you collect either Lightning Bolts or Cupcakes and avoid either thudnerclouds or baked bads) it would still target one side or the other and I dont think they want to risk a game that wont sell to their target audience (whichever it might be). Though, again, if they percieve us as a large enough cash cow, we might get some genderless or slightly male games... it still wont be amazing though...

This.

I've seen some very good fan games that were genderless, like a mario-clone with pinkypie collecting cupcakes and avoiding "baked bads" which *might* be an option for an official game, but as Tales put it above, there is really a divide between Male-Neutral-Female games. Even genderless games tend to attract one of the two sides often - using the same example, how many males would want to play a platformer where they're a pink pony? Ignoring the fact that Pinkie is an awesome character there is a certain amount of "pink is for girls" that will bleed in, especially with a younger crowd that goes though "Girls are Gross!"/"Boys are gross!" phases.

The only way I could see a game that would appeal to a lot of audiences is something like I've suggested before "Rainbow Dash Cloud Racers" which is *still* more on the male side than the female because racing games tend to sell more to boys.

If, and this is a BIG if, Hasbro sees the Bronies as a substantial market worth dedicating resources to, I think we might see games like the racing game I suggested, but as much as I hate it, I would bet money on there never being a substantial JRPG like so many of us would desire (and no way in hell will there be a FPS) they *might* attempt to make a mario-clone, but without substantial tweaking (essentially doubling the art where you chose, say, Dash ("Mario") or Pinkie ("Luigi") and you collect either Lightning Bolts or Cupcakes and avoid either thudnerclouds or baked bads) it would still target one side or the other and I dont think they want to risk a game that wont sell to their target audience (whichever it might be). Though, again, if they percieve us as a large enough cash cow, we might get some genderless or slightly male games... it still wont be amazing though...

How many would play an MLP game where you play as a pink pony? Well, why does it have to be a pink pony? Could be an awesome flying rainbow pony or an orange pony with hindlegs of freakin' steel. Options are relatively endless- and if the game is actually good, then enough boys would play it. You know why 'girl games' fail, even within the target demographic(much how 'girl tv shows' fail)? Because they suck, as do most games aimed at little boys. Games aimed at those demographics specifically have almost always failed commercially and critically.

That is where I believe our divide comes from. Y'all put way too much stock into the male-female gaming divide when we are discussing 6-13 year olds. There is no real divide. They play pretty much the same games. The small 'girl audience' games exist purely because they are lolzy super cheap to produce, but they don't sell and they don't matter to this discussion as the option is for a real game. Those games with cross-gender and cross-generational appeal, such as Mario, are the ones that are financially successful. With the topic asking for our desires, I desire a game in which hasbro has taken the time to craft into a solid game on its own right with cross-gender and generational support. Such a game could be commercially and critically successful- indeed, of all possibilities, it is the only one that fulfills the want from my person and the needs for Hasbro to profit from this and for the franchise to gain prestige.

It is unlikely. Fan-made games are where we must throw our hope. But just because it is unlikely doesn't mean I still don't want it, or that some sort of obstacle is placed in its way beyond Hasbro's devotion of resources to it. It has as much a chance of happening as an S1 Box Set with kewl special features, sadly.

That is where I believe our divide comes from. Y'all put way too much stock into the male-female gaming divide when we are discussing 6-13 year olds. There is no real divide. They play pretty much the same games. The small 'girl audience' games exist purely because they are lolzy super cheap to produce, but they don't sell and they don't matter to this discussion as the option is for a real game.

The option says a video game. It doesn't specify gender or age, cool or sucky. Or "real", as you put it. I went for the logical interpretation. :/

While some games might be gender-targeted, I think either gender can enjoy whatever. It really depends on the person, yanno? Right now I'm playing Plants vs. Zombies and Rayman Origins -- it's so pretty and so brutal. So, so brutal...

Any~way, I'm going to drop this right here. (Insert evil laughter.) Oh and Tales, I'm digging that circle thingie.

The option says a video game. It doesn't specify gender or age, cool or sucky. Or "real", as you put it. I went for the logical interpretation. :/

Implication through voting is that you want something good. After all, I'm sure the people posting that they want a complete series DVD/blu-ray aren't asking for the original series rather than FiM. :P

Implication through voting is that you want something good. After all, I'm sure the people posting that they want a complete series DVD/blu-ray aren't asking for the original series rather than FiM. :P

I didn't get that implied message. But that third option is kind of what throws it off for me. DVD set... it's a DVD set, special features or just the episodes, it will have all of them. OST... soundtrack with songs from the show, duh. Video game? Uh... going off what I've seen from the past I would say no. If it was listed as a Brony geared game or an awesome game... that would be entirely different than what it says now.

Here's something to think about: would an actual brony-targeted game succeed? We're already getting close to games made by fans, for fans with stuff like Fighting is Magic, so it's not totally far off. I think it would depend on the publisher and who would have a creative hand in it. I'd love to see an epic pony platformer or something.

I didn't get that implied message. But that third option is kind of what throws it off for me. DVD set... it's a DVD set, special features or just the episodes, it will have all of them. OST... soundtrack with songs from the show, duh. Video game? Uh... going off what I've seen from the past I would say no. If it was listed as a Brony geared game or an awesome game... that would be entirely different than what it says now.

If somene is discussing a book, and asking whether to make a movie adaptation, radio play, or television series, it is implied that all three are good. That DVD set may be be bare bones. That OST may horrify us by include 90% songs from previous gens or pop songs related- I mean, I've seen some lulzy stuff like that. Yet when we select an option, we assume it means that it is good, ya know?

An HD box set of all of Season 1, complete with extras, behind the scenes stuff or a "making of", clips or scenes that were cut, maybe a video from the producers to everyone who enjoys FiM. Sneak peeks at season 3 would also be a great selling point. Throw in some coupons for Hasbro's new line of canon-specific high-quality FiM toys.

^^^That^^^

and i think if we're going full box set, the soundtrack should be included =3

As for the game... Making a GAME that appeals to all audiences is a lot harder than a show... you'd have to make it easy enough for the young audience, but tough enough for older audiences... Although, i think it would be BRILLIANT if they made the difficulties "Easy, medium, hard, and Brony" now THAT would be an amazing day for me! but again, to make a game for everyone would be a bit difficult, because of both difficulty and content...

Why else have that option in a fan poll unless those that select it are choosing a good game?XD

Didn't I already answer that?

The poll really doesn't specific whether the video game will be good or bad, or if the DVD set should contain special features, or oven what type of songs would be on the soundtrack. I'm going by, if Hasbro were to make this, would I want it? Hasbro will make it however they decide to make it, so I'm voting with that in mind. Without specifics in the poll choices, I'm going by what I already know.

I can't argue against you choosing that line of thought and coming to your conclusions based on it, now can I? :D

When I pick an option here, I am picking a great DVD box set, awesome OST, and a good game. I am not picking a barebones DVD set, oddly constructed OST, nor a poor game.

I personally think there's a 50-50 chance of Hasbro making the right choice for our demographic in the future. Worst case scenario (IMO) is that they attempt to move our audience to a newly made franchise, and cancel FiM. The best case scenario is that they embrace what large yet unusual demographic they already have on their hands, and take advantage of it, making sure they give us what we want in an alternative that benefits both them and us the most, and thus making us both happy. An OST and a DVD box set in about two years seems the most likely if they were to take the better route.

I voted all of them, but honestly I could do without the video game. Soundtrack is #1 on my list. The series on Bluray would be nice though. I like physical media and hate iTunes. I want to support the show, but cannot due to lack of ability to buy media. I watch the episode on the hub, which supports them through ad revenue, and I watch episodes on hubworld, which does the same. But the fact that I cannot buy anything is irksome.

I'm not much of a collector of toys, so me buying a figure would be out of place. But I still want to support the show, whether it be the OST or purchasing the episodes (not from iTunes).

• Like 1

They've already embraced us -- my theory is that they're just trying to figure out how best to market to us based on their infrastructure and resources, without alienating their primary consumer group.

If anything else, they'll continue to outsource permissions to other companies such as WLF and Hot Topic, as they're doing now.

• 2 weeks later...

The series on Bluray would be nice though. I like physical media and hate iTunes. I want to support the show, but cannot due to lack of ability to buy media.

Pretty much how I feel about it, as well. I vastly prefer to have a disc and a box in hand, I even avoid digital distribution for games and go out of my way to pick up a physical copy (obviously side of games that never get a physical release like most indies). As such, a (preferably DVD, I lack a Bluray player) boxset release is highest up on my priority list.

The country I'm from has way lower prices for media than USA or most of Europe, but I'd happily buy it even for the not adjusted pricing.