Computer microphone recommendation

MyLittlePonyTales

So... Most of you probably don't know that I recently moved. Well, the microphone I had been using for recording and sometimes voice chat had to be left at my family's house, since it belonged to them and the kids use it for (online) school anyway. So, I need recommendations on a microphone that works good but is relatively inexpensive. Also pictures and/or a store where I can get it would be helpful. Or a link to something I can order online, that's cool too.

Well, "relatively inexpensive" isn't of much help to me, but I do have ONE great recommendation if you're willing to spend around $100.

It's the Logitech G35 gaming headset. Logitech makes GREAT products, and their durability is amazing.

Here's just a few of the pros for it:

• 7.1 (true) surround sound
  • Complete noise cancellation (You literally cannot hear anything quieter than a full power vacuum with these on)
  • USB 2.0. (You don't need the 3.5mm jack for these. That's the conventional green plug)
  • Insanely good bass.(It's VERY clear, and very deep, it's not a muddy sound, either.)
  • Only $95 (VERY cheap for this quality of a headset)
  • The Mic can be flipped upward and be muted, just like that.
  • 3 Programmable G keys on it, that you can open Media player, games, change volume, etc.
  • Volume slider / 7.1 surround ON/OFF on the headset itself.
  • Great software to use it with.

That's just off the top of my head. This headset is INSANELY good, and the mic quality is AMAZING. I highly recommend it over ANYTHING else you're considering. (Unless it's better, but like $150 more)

You can order them from newegg here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104281

And they might have them at a Local Best Buy.

They're quite heavy, but not uncomfortable to wear for a long time. They come with 3 total headbands, in case you've got a small / large head.

Hope this helps!

For voice/vocal recordings you're better going for a condenser rather than dynamic mic (unless you plan to scream into it at the top of your voice).

You can pick up an excellently reviewed MXL 990 studio condenser and a phantom power to 3.5m converter for less than £100.

Just search on google shopping.

I too am looking into a mic, but I have three main conditions:

1: it must be affordable, under $100

2: It must not need some special software just to work, I hate software lock ins thus why I never dumped my old webcam mic.

and 3: It must work with linux, I dual boot windows yes but all my software such as video editing is all in linux so reccomendations are welcome for that.

• Complete noise cancellation (You literally cannot hear anything quieter than a full power vacuum with these on)

Meh, I'm in a super quiet house during the day, so I don't really need to cancel noise.

• USB 2.0. (You don't need the 3.5mm jack for these. That's the conventional green plug)

Sounds convenient, but not totally necessary for me.

• Insanely good bass.(It's VERY clear, and very deep, it's not a muddy sound, either.)

Should be obvious I need the mic to be clear, but thanks. :P

• Only $95 (VERY cheap for this quality of a headset)

I guess headsets come standard with mics now, because that's what I found when I was looking for a mic (before I moved).

• The Mic can be flipped upward and be muted, just like that.
  • 3 Programmable G keys on it, that you can open Media player, games, change volume, etc.

Again, not necessary, but nice if you need it for stuff like that. XD

• Volume slider / 7.1 surround ON/OFF on the headset itself.

Volume slider... :x (Eh, there's are buttons directly on my laptop I can touch to change the sound.)

• Great software to use it with.

That means I have to install something, huh? Not that that isn't super easy for me, but I try to keep installed stuff on my comp down. :/

Meh, I'm in a super quiet house during the day, so I don't really need to cancel noise.

Sounds convenient, but not totally necessary for me.

Should be obvious I need the mic to be clear, but thanks. :P

I guess headsets come standard with mics now, because that's what I found when I was looking for a mic (before I moved).

Again, not necessary, but nice if you need it for stuff like that. XD

Volume slider... :x (Eh, there's are buttons directly on my laptop I can touch to change the sound.)

That means I have to install something, huh? Not that that isn't super easy for me, but I try to keep installed stuff on my comp down. :/

The extra software allows you to control the 7.1 surround, morph your voice, it has the equalizer on it, et cetera. It is NOT needed, but it's a very handy piece of software. It takes up 600kb of my RAM, and less than .100% on my CPU. So it's smaller than opening your documents folder, so to speak.

You also mentioned you voice chatted sometimes, so I assumed you used Vent, Skype, or played SOME sort of game. So having it built around "gaming" really helps in the quality. If this wasn't suc ha good headset all around, I wouldn't have recommended it to you. But it's done good for everything, really. Voice, music, games, movies, everything. You're paying no more than you would for something else ,but GETTING a whole lot more. In case you would like to have that ability.

Like I said, you can flip up the mic, and it will be muted .So if you're voice chatting, but you walk from the PC, or do not need to speak, you can flip it up and mute it. Rather than doing so via the Windows Audio manager, it's so much easier.

You also mentioned you voice chatted sometimes, so I assumed you used Vent, Skype, or played SOME sort of game. So having it built around "gaming" really helps in the quality. If this wasn't suc ha good headset all around, I wouldn't have recommended it to you. But it's done good for everything, really. Voice, music, games, movies, everything. You're paying no more than you would for something else ,but GETTING a whole lot more. In case you would like to have that ability.

Like I said, you can flip up the mic, and it will be muted .So if you're voice chatting, but you walk from the PC, or do not need to speak, you can flip it up and mute it. Rather than doing so via the Windows Audio manager, it's so much easier.

I only use Skype to voice chat, and that has a mute button anyway. :P That is why I do not need it at this time. Also I any PC gaming I do is all bah mahself.

forever-alone-face.png

I only use Skype to voice chat, and that has a mute button anyway. :P That is why I do not need it at this time. Also I any PC gaming I do is all bah mahself.

forever-alone-face.png

Completely regardless. The quality is VERY good on the mic, better than anything else I've ever heard.It's got noise cancellation on it, so you won't be picking up a dog barking behind you. If $100 is too much, I understand. But at this point, it's like you're avoiding the entire idea of it.

I'm trying to avoid $100. Noise cancellation would have been useful... at my old place. The house it totally quiet for a good part of the day, since my aunt and uncle both work and it's just me and my great-grandma (who mainly stays in bed and watches TV or sleeps). Not that my aunt and uncle make a ton of noise when they're home anyway (not like when I lied with 6 other people). That feature isn't necessary either. :P

I don't have microphone experience, at least not standalone, I use a Turtle Beach PX21 headset. However I found this on amazon.com for a pretty reasonable price.

http://www.amazon.com/Microphone-Computer-Laptop-Notebook-canceling/dp/B002KL0VY2/ref=pd_cp_MI_0

If that doesn't work for you there's some other cheapish ones that you can browse on the related stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this at Best Buy today: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam-communications/internet-headsets-phones/devices/8609. I keep hearing background static, but I don't know if that's my headphones or the mic. But if I'm talking, you can't hear background static anyway. :/

But it's also pretty sensitive. When I'm close, it makes my voice like... sound sharp or something. And when I move it away it just doesn't pick it up and sounds like I'm standing at the end of a hallway or something. As with my old mic, it also peaks when I talk loudly.

The guy tried to be helpful, but there actually wasn't much of a selection. Since I moved, I still don't have a bank account and can't purchase one online. :roll:

IMHO if you want quality and durability and have a bit more cash to spend go for Sennheiser.

If not, go for Creative Technology

I second Creative Tech. For budget quality sound gear, they do good work.

@ MyLittlePonyTales, I've had that exact same headset before. It is an amazing headset for the price. If you're getting static and it sounds very sensitive, I recommend right clicking on the volume control in the bottom right, selecting recording devices, your headset, then properties. Go into Levels to fine-tune the microphone boost and all that. The lower the boost, the less static you'll get.

Note, that's assuming you're on Win7.

Also, for others, I highly recommend Blue's Snowball microphone. It's 100 dollars at most places, and it's not a headset but a dedicated mic. Nonetheless, it has extremely high quality recording for the price, can work as both mono and omni-directional, and for starting out with voice acting or any other kind of dedicated recording, it's probably the best purchase available.

I second Creative Tech. For budget quality sound gear, they do good work.

@ MyLittlePonyTales, I've had that exact same headset before. It is an amazing headset for the price. If you're getting static and it sounds very sensitive, I recommend right clicking on the volume control in the bottom right, selecting recording devices, your headset, then properties. Go into Levels to fine-tune the microphone boost and all that. The lower the boost, the less static you'll get.

Note, that's assuming you're on Win7.

Nope, Vista.