The Report feature - Not so negative.

MyLittlePonyTales

So, I thought I would take the time to discuss the Report button that shows up under every post on the forum. It seems to me that a lot of people see the Report button as something negative, and should only be used for informing that staff of 'bad' things.

Well, I'm hear to explain what the Report button is actually for. I frequently get PMs asking me to delete a topic, or someone comments on a topic saying that it should be moved somewhere else... things like that may not get seen for hours. The Report feature is there for those things.

Rest assured that Reporting something is not bad. Topic needs deleted? Report it. Topic needs moved? Report it. Topic/comment is inappropriate? Report it. Trolls in the dungeon? Report it.

The Report button can be used for both good and bad things. It's really not something that should be seen as negative. When you Report something rather than sending an individual PM to a staff member, the problem will likely get taken care of sooner. A PM is seen by one person, whenever they have the time. A Report can be seen and dealt with by any Admin or Mod.

So basically, don't be afraid to spam the Report button with relevant Reports. Which, again, is not just bad stuff.

• Like 4

"Please note: The moderator will be made aware of the link to the page you are reporting.

This form is to be used ONLY for reporting objectionable content and is not to be used as a method of communicating with moderators for other reasons."

I think the second sentence is why people are avoiding its use. Perhaps changing this toolip will make the report button seem less exclusive to troll-reporting and for content that does not have a place on the board. Probably finding a more neutral synonym for 'objectionable content'; maybe just something along the lines of 'content which requires moderator attention'.

• Like 2

Thank you for this Tales. I have only used the button twice, and both times I made sure I was 100% certain that the post was against the rules. The first report was a spambot and the second was NastyMann and his graphic story post in LPW.

I will sometimes report posts in RP sections that could be deleted because of a mistake or OOC stuff. I've reported those before.

I've used the report feature and so far nothing 'bad' has happened to me, I also found ponies getting around the 3 post rule and reported that. But when it comes down to it I can promise you that the Report button is not evil, unless Tales is answering your report ticket, then you have to watch out that bats don't swarm out of your com.

"Please note: The moderator will be made aware of the link to the page you are reporting.

This form is to be used ONLY for reporting objectionable content and is not to be used as a method of communicating with moderators for other reasons."

I think the second sentence is why people are avoiding its use. Perhaps changing this toolip will make the report button seem less exclusive to troll-reporting and for content that does not have a place on the board. Probably finding a more neutral synonym for 'objectionable content'; maybe just something along the lines of 'content which requires moderator attention'.

I'll look into this. Mixed message are just bad mkay?

• Like 1

Ouch, Tales, that image nearly froze my PC >.<

I agree, I'd clicked report before cut backed out when it looked like it was only for when somone was breaking a major rule. Somone really should edit the text.

I'll look into this. Mixed message are just bad mkay?

mkay.jpg

Thank you Mr Mackey! ;-)

• Like 1

Nope, we send em to the moon!

Since when did going to the moon serve as punishment? Since ponies, that's when.

Agreed, there were some topics I wanted to report, and the second statement always made me hesitate, maybe a mod or admin could make it a bit clearer? :blush:

Hi all.

As this thread highlights, you're all more than welcome to use the report feature to let us know of things we should be made aware of too help keep the community a clean and safe place for everyone.

The 2nd message is a stock message that comes with IP.Board, I'll look into changing that when I'm next in that area of the code.

• Like 3

.-. Oh sweet irony.

I found it infinitely amusing how an idea of reporting the topic concerning reporting topics jumped in my mind. Why?

Because it turned into bananamoondungeontrolls/brony chatter/chit chat/spam stables things which don't belong here and caused useless disharmony in keeping up with comments concerning the ACTUAL thread topic. I came here hoping to read something more about the report feature, and all I saw were bananas... really, could you please stick to the topic?