[Ponyville] Trash and Treasures (open)

Mojo

"Of course!" Cadence responded quickly to her aunt's question. "I'll be taking it to the royal historian as soon as I return home!" She turned away slightly, admonishing herself under her breath. "Why didn't I think of that before? There's probably lots of replicas and everything around Equestria, and I just go and automatically assume this is the right one! Ugh, so dumb sometimes..."

Resisting the urge to smack a hoof into her face, the princess gently took hold of the crown again and levitated it back over the chest before strapping it inside. She was always too quick to believe things sometimes, so excitable. There was probably a lot of truth to when advisors told her she still had plenty learn when it came to royal duties. Years bred experience after all. With a quick glance to the waiting cab outside, she stood beside her aunt once more with a set expression.

"Unless you need me for anything else Princess Luna, I'll be on my way back to the castle to get this piece verified and secured. I have a very patient gentlecolt waiting just outside to ferry myself, Madam Bistro, and our cargo to the Friendship Express, unless you think I should summon a guard detail."

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The princess narrowed her eyes at the blue Pegasus stallion, trying to decipher if he was trying to be funny or somehow had it in his head that she was her sister. After all, the two looked nothing alike, and in addition Luna was shorter. Nopony could possibly confuse the two, right? Although when a nearby Unicorn correct him, she couldn't be sure.

“Well, thank goodness for that.” she addressed the elderly gray pony, before she had even spotted the actual shopkeeper. She glanced to where he was pointing, which was at the not-so-cleanly- gray Earth pony. Surely that couldn't be him? But as she looked from the pointing stallion to the dirty one, it couldn't be anypony else. She should have been able to figure that out quicker, what with a name like “Pigpen.” Well, mustn't judge a book by its cover.

And she was certainly glad she had kept an open mind. Though the outward appearance may have been misleading, this raggedy looking stallion was nothing less than a gentlepony. “Equestria thanks you for your hospitality and generosity, Pigpen. Please do not hesitate to inform me if there is any way we can repay you.” She smiled warmly. Luna had to stifle laughter and turn away as the elderly stallion shoved the hat into the still shocked mouth of Saddlesore. He was certainly making quite a fool of himself in front of not one, but two princesses.

The comment from the blue Unicorn stallion about her looks did also not escape her ears, and she blushed lightly, turning back to Cadance and trying to more intently focus her attention on the piece before her so hopefully nopony would notice her slight embarrassment. She still wasn't used to being paid such compliments, either about herself or her sky. True, they were much appreciated, but she still found it a bit awkward when she was placed in a positive light.

“R-Really? Me?” Luna nearly squeaked at the pony's proposition. “You're sure that, uh, me?” Of course over the years she'd had statues and art pieces made of herself, but it was always mostly a formality, things to commemorate her and Celestia's rule, and hardly ever by herself—these things were a dual process with her and her sister. Luckily Cadance offered a distraction before Luna could question the request again.

“No, of course. They should be put away safely as soon as possible, in the chance they are the real thing.” They looked like the 'real deal', but counterfeiters were quite good at their trade, most trying to get in good with whoever they were offering the item to, or else just trying to get rich quick. Although Pigpen didn't seem like the type, often sellers and resellers were fooled by accurate looking fakes. Well, she would just have to see later.

“I suppose I'll have a look around anyway, even though you seem to have snagged everything good.” she winked at Cadance before turning away to explore the shop.

"Thank you, your majesty," Pigpen said as he bowed once again to Princess Luna. "I have many regal treasures in my shop, please feel free to browse as much as you like!"

"Well MR Saddlesore," Mr Waddle said sternly as he turned to the blue stallion. "What do you have to say about my friend Pigpen now? Oh, pardon me, you've still got your mouth full."

The elderly eyeglass wearing stallion giggled as he continued to observe the extremely nervous and embarrassed Saddlesore chewing on the straw hat. Fear struck him as random thoughts of banishment and getting tossed into the dungeon for his rude behavior filled his mind. He still couldn't believe that two members of Equestrian royalty were now shopping at Pigpen's emporium! This dirty, smelly garbage collecting pony seemed to be a very kind, gentle and generous horse! He was very fair to all of his customers and civic minded enough to give valuable relics away for public museum use! And on top of all this, the straw hat he was consuming didn't taste all that bad!

Soon, another customer entered the shop, someone Saddlesore recognized immediately.

S02E16_UUS1.png

"Doctor Stable?" Saddlesore thought. "What the hay is my own doctor doing here?"

"Ah, Pigpen!" Doctor Stable neighed, "I'm looking for another one of your fine antique corner cabinets to put in my office and.. OH PARDON ME, YOUR MAJESTIES!"

Immediately, the stethoscope wearing unicorn politely bowed before the two Princesses as he glanced over at the wide eyed stunned Saddlesore. "You DO know you shouldn't be eating a hat, right?"

Roller nodded to the princess who'd questioned him. "Yes...I've already produced a model of your niece, and Shining Armor, and soon your elder sister, as well, but I'd much prefer to do yours first. After all, your mane will allow me to experiment with some new painting techniques and Celestia's mane, um, if you'll pardon me saying so, will be rather a pain to paint by hand. I'll have to break out the detail brush for that. So many colors..." he muttered, then seemed to snap back into reality.

"Oh! Um...I apologize for my, uh, untoward physical closeness, my lady. I merely wanted to examine your mane. I have a store in Canterlot called Silverhoof Games. Perhaps you'd grace my store with your presence so that you can see more of my handiwork and perhaps be a model for your miniature in person?"

The unicorn tentatively offered the princess a business card, which he levitated toward her. It had a big silver horseshoe on it, with "Silverhoof Games" written over it in imitation Olde Equestrian font.

(OOC: When Bistro leaves, anypony mind if I swap in Candy Catch-em? -or the Skybright twin who have been dying to meet Luna? ;) )

Madam Bistro stifled a giggle with her elegant folding fan and nodded to High Roller as he finally got on steady hooves in speaking with Princess Luna "Personally, High Roller, I have some questions of my own about commissions when we meet back up on the train."

The Mocha Mare did allow herself to giggle at Yuki's antics "At least I think we are ready to load up the taxi, kind gentlecolts. No need to wait for the very last second while High Roller conducts some business, after all."

She turned and bowed to Princess Cadence "Princess Cadence, given that the proprietor is donating the artifacts to Canterlot without compensation, the location must have been old enough to him that even if the crown is a mere copy, its old enough to be an artifact in its own right. So it sounds like a win either way, right?"

Cadence nodded once curtly, smiling at Luna's wink and levitating the chest before walking to the doorway.

"It's in good hooves. Madam Bistro, I'll be waiting with the cab outside. We can't delay too much longer or we'll miss the Friendship Express! Everypony else, thank you for the company and conversation. I hope I all see you again soon!"

With that she moved outside to stand near the stallion and his cab, settling the packed crown neatly into the back seat.

(Going to make my exit here, thanks!)

Luna swiveled her head around as another pony entered the shop, this one a tan Unicorn. Well, she'd certainly picked a lively spot to stop at. She acknowledged the newcomer with a nod and a smile, trying to be courteous and quick at the same time. She was here to shop, true, but she knew there was a certain level of socialization required any time she left Canterlot Castle.

“I-well-I'd be flattered.” she replied to the blue Unicorn. “I can't say that I've been asked to model for, well, anything since my return to Equestria.” she grasped the business card with her magic, glancing over it before tucking it away into one of her saddlebags. “I suppose if, perhaps, you were to make an appointment, I might be able to stop by.” she was trying not to sound as giddy as she felt. Imagine, somepony wanting to make an art piece of her. The notion sounded ridiculous, yet here she was.

“Goodbye, Cadance!” Luna turned and called after her niece. She waved a hoof, a rather casual air about her that would likely only be used with the most familiar ponies—though more than likely only reserved for family. She watched her go, silently wishing they could have spent a little more time together. But she knew they had their separate lives, unlike she and Celestia who lived in the castle together all the time. Though they were family, the two had never been very close, seeing as Cadance had been born several years prior to Luna's rather show offish return.

But there were other ponies now requesting her attention, and the items in the shop weren't going to buy themselves!

(ooc): That's fine, Boss, no problem! Thanks for bringing Cadence in, PT!

"I am always at your service, Princess Cadence, Madam Bistro," Pigpen said as he graciously bowed to the departing mares. He giggled a little at Yuki's comments and then his demand for a straw hat. Craning his neck upward, he grabbed a low hanging straw and and gave it to him. "Here ya go, pal, on the house. It seems my hoofmade straw hats now have a dual purpose, headwear and food!"

Mr Waddle chuckled at Pigpen's statement as the elderly stallion continued to observe Saddlesore. The grumpy blue stallion had nearly finished eating his straw hat, still in a state of shock and wonderment at the amazing array of customers shopping at the antique store.

"What do you say about our friend Pigpen NOW?" Mr Waddle asked. "Oh, that's right, it's not polite to talk with your mouth full, is it sonny?"

Doctor Stable rose up in giddy delight! The stallion physician had never met Princess Luna in the flesh before and he wanted to make the best of this rare opportunity.

"Your majesty," he asked, "may I have the honor of having a photo taken of you and me together?"

Pigpen stood at the ready to help the remaining customers in the store, but paid particular attention to Princess Luna. After all, she was Equestrian royalty!

(OOC: would we want to do a short Friendship Express" thread with Princess Cadenza, High Roller, etc.sometime?)

Madam Caramel Bistro smiled and nodded to Yuki, stifling a giggle at the pleased noises the pegasus was making eating the hat. [colour=#800000]"Yes, Yuki, time to load the taxi, please."[/colour]

The Mocha Mare bows again to Princess Luna,[colour=#800000] "Good luck in your shopping, your Majesty. Perhaps we will meet again?"[/colour]

She also turned to PigPen [colour=#800000]"And thank you again for finding all these things."[/colour]

Bistro trotted out to the taxi, ready to load up.

As she waited to leave, a pair of bay pegasi landed with their yellow Royal Canterlot Observatory cart.

The twins unhitched, already looking a bit worn from their usual nocturnal schedule and being past their morning bedtime, but still perking along.

Shanna stretched her wings before settling them in place. [colour=#008080]"I hope the stories were true about this place, Hoss." [/colour]

The stallion shrugged as he opened the door to enter, then stepped aside for ponies suddenly shuttling items out to the taxi. [colour=#0000cd]"I guess it must be. Apparently he has anything if you look long enough..."[/colour]

(OOC: Sure why not? I think Yuki would be able to fit in well with another rp with you guys, loving the atmosphere he makes with your ponies in our RP threads!)

[colour=#008080]"Alright, sounds good! See ya Cadence! Tell Celestia that she HAS to try these hats!"[/colour]

Yuki began to hum a fast rhythm as he began to load the taxi

[colour=#008080]"So once the taxi's loaded whats next? Is that gonna be all? Also im gonna need a 'to go' box for my hat here, i know a great sauce to go with it!"[/colour]

Yuki's antics yet again prove that behind that grown mature stature of his, he was still an innocent child on the inside

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#000080]”Oh, you make custom hats?” Luna addressed Pigpen. “You must have quite dexterous hooves.” He looked a bit stocky for an Earth pony, and judging from the flies buzzing around him, one that would be more into dumpster diving than home crafts. However, Luna was not about to judge anypony's hobbies.

But her ears perked at the question from the orange Unicorn stallion. “Oh? Well, of course.” The princess smiled shyly. She still found it odd whenever anypony asked to take a picture with her, of all ponies. Sure, she was a princess, but her reputation would forever remain soiled, and it was hard to get used to the idea that anypony might actually still care about her, despite her misdeeds. But every encouraging word or kind gesture was one she took to heart, further pressing her to spend more time with the populace and less time hiding away.

The antics of the stallion with a similar coat colour to Luna's also did not escape her perception. If anypony had thought Pigpen was odd, at least he wasn't one of the ones devouring a hat. “Are you... sure that's healthy?” she looked curiously at the blue Pegasus stallion. There were certainly plenty more less polite things she could have said of somepony eating a hat, but it wasn't very princess-like to be rude, nor was it something that would have helped her reputation any.[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"You honor me, your majesty," [/colour]Pigpen said with a smile. [colour=#FF0000]"Yes, I do love to make hats. Of course, no hat in all of Equestria could ever match the tiara of a royal Princess, such as yourself."[/colour]

[colour=#8B4513]"Thank you, Princess Luna!" [/colour]Doctor Stable neighed as his horn glowed, floating his camera a safe distance away as he stood next to the Princess and had the camera snap a few fast photos. [colour=#8B4513]"The nurses back at the hospital will LOVE seeing these photos when I hang them in my office!"[/colour]

After finally finishing his 'hat', Saddlesore looked up at the Princess and bowed.

[colour=#0000FF]"Your highness," [/colour]he said nervously, [colour=#0000FF]"please forgive my previous remarks!"[/colour]

[colour=#696969]"That's better, sonny" [/colour]Mr Waddle said with a grin.

[colour=#008080]"Don't worry Luna, hay is hay, doesn't change anything!"[/colour]

[colour=#008080]"So Saddlesore, how was YOUR hat?"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Yuki began to finish up his snack, and realized that he was too full to fly back to Trottingham, so he had to think of something to get back.[/colour]

[colour=#008080]"...anyone willing to give me a ride home?"[/colour]

(OOC: giving Yuki two different ways to go. The twins could give him a ride in their flying cart if he does not want to leave right away.)

Madam Bistro smiles at Yuki, the silly pegasus was really very funny. [colour=#800000]"If you want to come with us on the Friendship Express in a bit, A ticket is the least I can do if you like? I'll be out in the cab, getting the luggage tagged for the next few minutes before we go."[/colour]

Just then, the Skybright twins entered the shop, a stallion and mare set of siblings. The Mare looks at the pegasus munching on a hat.[colour=#008080] "A ride? If you dont mind a little wait, I'm sure we can drop you off on the way to Clousdale."[/colour]

The stallion looks to the front counter and the shaggy pony behind it [colour=#0000cd]"Good morning, I am Hoss and that is my sis, Shanna. Do you have any old astronomy or weather books or equipment on-hoof?"[/colour]

They had come in around one of the shelves on entering and had so far missed noticing Princess Luna...

[colour=#000080]”Don't let Celestia hear you!” Luna joked when Pigpen made the comment about her royal headpiece. You know what happened when I got jealous. The words flashed through her mind, but Luna held them back. Saying such a thing would ruin the moment, and events such as that were best left to the past, for her and everypony else's sake.

Luckily, the orange Unicorn stepped forward with his camera, pulling her out of her thoughts. Although it was a little unsettling when he said they would be displayed publicly, but that was to be expected when a princess was out and about unannounced, wasn't it? Besides, it would be good for her image, to be seen out amongst the common pony folk, chatting with them like she was a normal pony herself. “You're most welcome.” she said, when she could move her mouth to speak and stop smiling.

It was then that the one called Saddlesore spoke up, finally finished with his embarrassing display. “I shall pardon you this time.” she glared down at him. “But a stallion of your age should be better behaved. Honestly, what kind of example are you setting for the younger generation. Look, this one is already following you!” she pointed to Yuki, who still had a bit of hat left.[/colour]

Yuki did a bit of an awkward squeak when Luna mentioned his name

[colour=#008080]"Actually, I'm a stallion, but don't worry, saddlesore must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed! By the way, what IS the wrong side of the bed?"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Yuki then heard the Skybright twins' offer[/colour]

[colour=#008080]"Actually, I think i might go with Madame Bistro, but thanks you two!"[/colour] [colour=#000000]( Actually, maybe Yuki's choice could transition into another rp, considering that some things from this rp are going to be taken elsewhere, or am I mistaken?)[/colour]

[colour=#008080]"Anyways, thanks for the hat Pigpen! You think I could come back some other times to have another one?[/colour]"

All Saddlesore could do at Princess Luna's admonishment was lower his head in shame. The blue stallion knew she was right, and that he had been acting very discourtiously.

[colour=#696969]"We all have life lessons to learn, Saddlesore," [/colour]Mr Waddle said to him calmly.

[colour=#8B4513]"Thank YOU again, Princess," [/colour]Dr. Stable said with a bow before walking over to look at some antique lamps, [colour=#8B4513]"I could use one of these for my office."[/colour]

Pigpen smiled at Princess Luna's kind words to him.

[colour=#FF0000]"Your secret is safe with me, your highness," [/colour]the shaggy, unkempt stallion said before turning towards Yuki[colour=#FF0000] "You are welcome here anytime, my friend!"[/colour].

Suddenly, Pigpen heard somepony behind him, listening to Hoss's words as he spun around towards him.

[colour=#FF0000]"Old astronomy books and equipment?" [/colour]he asked before a look of discovery came upon his face. [colour=#FF0000]"Ah! I think I may have some items fitting that description. Two months ago, I was asked to clean out the home of a departed stargazing pony in Trottingham. The relatives of the deceased just wanted rid of all the home's furnishings and contents, so I brought all of it here. I have one of the antique telescopes on display over in the corner there, and some of the charts are in the bookcase next to it. Have a look and see if you'd be interested in those things."[/colour]

Edited by Mojo

• 2 weeks later...

And this would be the moment that the door opens, and a rather frantic looking young dragon would make his arrival...bearing the look of somebody who'd come to a most horrifying realisation, and that realisation had cascaded into something worse than all of the worst experiences known to Dragon, pony or beast.

He opens his mouth to speak, but realises that he'd worn himself out a little as he leant against a nearby wall and panted...the look of a dragon in the grip of a most horrible epiphany not once leaving his face whilst he allowed himself to catch his breath, short clips of words escaping in short rushed puffs as he does so - a few specks of words that would help to lend towards the reason behind his appearance here.

" [colour=#008080]Twilight...trash...Gems...[/colour]! "

It took several more minutes for the youngster to get himself composed well enough to get his words out fully, but once he did, the reasons behind his rather perterbed expression were made most abundandly clear. " [colour=#008080]Pigpen. Oh geez...am I glad to see you[/colour]! " Spike starts, looking around to the stallion as he waddles over hurriedly. " [colour=#008080]Twilght threw out an old chest of stuff the other day full of even older junk - I was KINDA keeping some gems in there for emergency, and she sorta didn't know that at the time. I was kinda outside-hoping you mighta, uh, picked it up[/colour]! "

The youngster was a little antsier than normal, since these were a particularly delectable type of quartz with JUST the right amount of Smoky overtones that made his mouth drool, and he really didn't just want to let them go if he could help it!

" [colour=#008080]PLEASE tell me you found it![/colour] " Spike says, rubbing his head with a sigh. "[colour=#008080] I was honestly...really looking forward to those gems, too[/colour]! "

1zq8oio.png

Lounging on a drifting cloud above the fair town of Ponyville, Sugar Apple munched on one of her specialty pink frosting-coated sugar apples without a care in the world. She had the day off from the Weather Factory today, so the pegasus decided to use this chance to get some needed R&R. All of a sudden, a rotten stench unexpectedly assaulted Sugar Apple’s sense of smell as she nearly vomited up her fruity confectionary. Gazing down at the ground, the mare realized to her disgust that the air currents blew her cloud above the Ponyville Junkyard.

At first planning to simply fly away to a new cloud, Sugar Apple stayed her hoof upon spying a little purple thing enter the adjacent Antique Shop; the mare was too high up to clearly see what it was. Remembering that the shop had a sale going on today, the pegasus wondered if the place had any rock band memorabilia in stock today. Sugar Apple was game for nearly sort of energetic music, but rock held a most special place in her heart of hearts. Maybe if she was lucky, the shop would have a vinyl record or two of a rock band’s music.

Flying down from her perch in the sky, Sugar Apple skipped her customary diving procedure and simply just landed with no theatrics whatsoever. Hearing what sounded like a little colt’s voice coming from inside, the pegasus trotted into only to find a strange purple reptilian creature with green spikes in front of her. This must be the thing she saw a minute ago from the air! As it looked way too small to be a dragon, the inquisitive mare cleared her throat to get the creature’s attention and then asked; [colour=#800080]“Howdy thar’; are ya’ supposed to be like, a talkin’ lizard?”[/colour]

[colour=#000080]”Still, Saddlesore is several years your senior. He should be a role model for those who have not had as much experience. It is said that wisdom comes with age, although with the way he's put his hoof in his mouth, metaphorically, I suppose there are exceptions. Well, he looks like he's had quite enough reprimanding for today. What do you think Pigpen?” The princess grinned playfully. Saddlesore did look very sorry and embarrassed. Perhaps she had been a little too harsh? Sometimes it was hard for her to rein in her want to rule with an iron hoof.

“You're welcome.” she repeated to the orange Unicorn as he thanked her again. Now that photos were done, she could get back to the shop—or back to socializing, which seemed to comprise most of her visit so far. Well, it wasn't every day that a princess dropped in unannounced. Should she really have expected any less?

“Old star maps?” Luna said allowed, quizzically, as she came around to speak directly with Pigpen again. “Though I suppose I can't really lay claim to them if somepony else has already asked for them.” she may have been a princess, but she was also fair. Old astronomy equipment and books could be found in many an antique shop, though their current scarcity generally meant that their existence was limited to a museum, if they were old enough. Books could be found in uncountable numbers in the royal library, both old and new, but custom built telescopes and maps were a rarity. Normally such things would remain in a family line, or simply be tossed out in favour of newer equipment.

It was at that moment that a familiar purple and green Dragon rushed in. Luna had to step out of the way to avoid him, but he didn't even seem to notice the tall Alicorn. His focus was entirely on Pigpen, a frantic look in his eyes. She wanted to ask what was wrong, but certainly didn't want to interrupt—and anyway, his mission soon became clear as he poured his predicament out to the shaggy shop owner.[/colour]

[colour=#800080]“Howdy thar’; are ya’ supposed to be like, a talkin’ lizard?”[/colour]

Spike paused and looks over to the pegasus who'd addressed him with a rather flat look - he wasn't really sure if her question was overly serious or whether she was just not paying attention to the fact that his species was, in fact, Draconic in nature rather than just being some talking lizard.

He HAD in fact planned on saying something to address this rather awkward situation, but the sight of a familiar face stopped him short as Luna shuffled awkwardly nearby. It had been a while since they youngster had seen the princess of the night, and was therefore taken aback by her mere presence in a situation like this...so far from her canterlot palace home in the middle of the day, in a place where it seemed that nopony had even realised she would even have taken the time to visit at all.

" [colour=#008080]Uh...Wow...Um...This is kinda weird...[/colour] " Spike utters under his breath, immediately unsure of what he should do - yeah, he should bow to royalty, but he was so caught up in trying to handle his own mini life drama that it didn't seem like it was appropriately fitting to apply such a formality...the dilemma presented was a curious one. He immediately found himself feeling a great deal more subdued and uncertain of how exactly to present himself in such an awkward position.

The only thing Spike found himself thinking quietly to himself at this one moment was simply this: '[colour=#008080]I really should have stayed at home![/colour]'