Help expand Canterlot.com's Roleplay For Newbies Guide

!

I just threw up this new thing called Canterlot.com's Roleplay For Newbies Guide. I've tried to answer all the questions thoroughly while being tl;dr, but I feel like there are more questions that I'm missing.

So, from all of you, I'd like suggestions on questions, and even answers to those questions! You may get credit in the post for being especially helpful. :)

Also, if there's anything that you think should be expanded on in the questions I answered, you can give some critique.

May I suggest adding a brief etiquette guide for people wanting to rp? It can include things such as

• Don't metagame/post
  • Don't derail a currently running roleplay
  • Respect requests for Closed, Semi-open, Invite only roleplays
  • Don't randomly jump into a roleplay unless allowed

And more of those along the lines. I don't know if has already been mentioned somewhere or something about it already exists on the forums, but its just a thought.

Other than that I can't think of anything else to add, its pretty refined and informative. However, how about adding the approximate time a application gets processed, or a slight note for patience while the apps are being processed.

Considering this more as a technical approach to the RPing.

I guess you could explain what Crossover generally is. Eq Mane is least given a hint that it takes place in show world, FFA that it's an instant. But Crossovers seem to lack few details I think. Perhaps giving a hint and/or link to CO's rules and stuff. Also, mentioning the world merging, different RP setups which are not needed in FFA, and are restricted in EQ Mane.

How do I get to Roleplay?

My character was Accepted, but I can't Roleplay. What gives?

I'd merge those two into one. "How do I get to Roleplay" starts an idea of how applications are accepted, and then suddenly you get another topic in which idea is continued. Guess this would look much better if it wasn't in separated topics. Like an unexpected movie continuation .-.

I was also wondering about adding a thing or two about species, since people often aren't sure about it in the end. And perhaps adding things concerning Discord, Cerberus etc., generally characters who posses abnormal strengths. Like, explaining the attitude for them towards Crossovers and Eq Mane.

I think that's all what comes in my mind in such a short term for now.

You could mention things about why role play is fun, including all of the different things that can come positive in role play. You might also put in realistic expectations for role play, things that would help people understand that trying to play out a fanfic idea they have isn't easy to do in roleplay and that roleplay is about the creative and often unpredictable responses with other players you might have during a quality role play.

But Crossovers seem to lack few details I think. Perhaps giving a hint and/or link to CO's rules and stuff.

Crossovers has no rules at the moment.

Crossover and FiM Free-For-All (FFA has a special 18+ area for more adult type RP) are not required to adhere to these rules except for No Sex and No Gore.

That's pretty much all we've got, and that's located near the top of the Roleplaying Rules.

I was also wondering about adding a thing or two about species, since people often aren't sure about it in the end.

We've had a Species List since like... the board opened. It even has it's own post.

If you're looking to Roleplay in the world that the show takes place in, you're looking for the Equestria Mane RP. Assuming you've already been over the Roleplaying Rules, you should be all set to submit an Application!

4th Paragraph, there's a link to the Roleplay rules. The Newbie Guide is more for those who have never Roleplayed, haven't Roleplayed in a long time, or would like to know the basics of Canterlot.com's Roleplay area(s).

And perhaps adding things concerning Discord, Cerberus etc., generally characters who posses abnormal strengths. Like, explaining the attitude for them towards Crossovers and Eq Mane.

Species List has Cerberus listed, and a disclaimer:

Not Playable: These characters are not playable in the Equestria Mane RP, no exceptions. These include but are not limited to

You might also put in realistic expectations for role play, things that would help people understand that trying to play out a fanfic idea they have isn't easy to do in roleplay and that roleplay is about the creative and often unpredictable responses with other players you might have during a quality role play.

That sounds more like stuff for the Etiquette post. :/ Not bad ideas though.

Other than that I can't think of anything else to add, its pretty refined and informative. However, how about adding the approximate time a application gets processed, or a slight note for patience while the apps are being processed.

I definitely think that an approximate time for character approvals would be good in there. That's one of the most common questions new members ask in the IRC is "How long before my application gets approved?"

A link to this tutorial might be good as well:

Also, is it written out anywhere that an application might not be reviewed until it is labeled "Final"? It might not fit in the context of this document, but it needs to be shown somewhere where new players would see it. (That is another common question, "Why has no one commented on my app yet?")

Also, is it written out anywhere that an application might not be reviewed until it is labeled "Final"? It might not fit in the context of this document, but it needs to be shown somewhere where new players would see it. (That is another common question, "Why has no one commented on my app yet?")

Oh ya, that's a good one.

As for approval times, I can throw something in there, ya.

I present to you, pictures to help illustrate where to post your app because a bunch of people have been asking about that lately.

They are a bit small but that is due to Photobucket being mean.

Also I added in some extra little text stuff to help inform why peoples apps don't get passed right away or why they don't get into the Roleplay group right away.

AppHelp1.png

AppHelp2.png

I hope this helps in some way or another T_T

• Like 1

first and foremost, you need a FAQ/getting started that crossreferences all the individual posts so that newbies only have to click a max of 2 times to each any rules or guidelines, or pertinent posts. Not a document with a lot of text per-se, but more like an index of links under specific questions so that it's TLDRified. That above all will be the most helpful.

You know what, Tales?

I just had an idea that might solve and clarify the crossover problem.

Rename the RP forums.

• Mane = World of Equestria, slices of life in the land of the ponies (or something to this effect). (applications required)
  • Crossover should be renamed something like: Equestria Adventures, with a blurb about expanded and more informal show canon,and pushing the boundaries thereof. (applications required but not scoured like the slice of life form is)
  • Free-for-all would stay as-is. Things that are ACTUALLY crossovers should probably go in here too, but meh. (applications not required)

I think it would make it clearer.

You know what, Tales?

I just had an idea that might solve and clarify the crossover problem.

Rename the RP forums.

• Mane = World of Equestria, slices of life in the land of the ponies (or something to this effect). (applications required)
  • Crossover should be renamed something like: Equestria Adventures, with a blurb about expanded and more informal show canon,and pushing the boundaries thereof. (applications required but not scoured like the slice of life form is)
  • Free-for-all would stay as-is. Things that are ACTUALLY crossovers should probably go in here too, but meh. (applications not required)

I think it would make it clearer.

The staff weren't recently considering that.

133658130269.png

• Like 2

Also I would like to point out that every time I click into the acceptable species list it wont open for me. I don't know if its something I am doing wrong or if it is simply broken at the moment. But that would be very helpful to have that up and running.

Also I would like to point out that every time I click into the acceptable species list it wont open for me. I don't know if its something I am doing wrong or if it is simply broken at the moment. But that would be very helpful to have that up and running.

Maybe I borked the link in that post. Huh.

The list is located under the World of Equestria - Rules.

What about "How do I Make a character log?"

I second that with all my heart. I guess we all know the commotion around character logs lately, so exposing the very existence of logs would be helpful. Perhaps if people saw what it brings, they'd create logs quicker and with greater care. After all, I know the feeling when I have to go onto sb's profile and search for topic with OC in content area...

I second that with all my heart. I guess we all know the commotion around character logs lately, so exposing the very existence of logs would be helpful. Perhaps if people saw what it brings, they'd create logs quicker and with greater care. After all, I know the feeling when I have to go onto sb's profile and search for topic with OC in content area...

Hm... I think we used to have an example log. It might have got lost somewhere in an update.

Hm... I think we used to have an example log. It might have got lost somewhere in an update.

I also saw it somewhere, but point is that it could be inserted into F.A.Q.

With a few guidelines and an explanation what is its purpose, considering that it seems a lot of people read those rules actually.

I think the guide looks good. It's short, to the point, and covers everything a new player would need to know about how things work here -- especially someone who might have never RPed before.

Once the basics truly are covered, I think maybe an "advanced" guide would be appropriate to contain all of the information to turn a good roleplayer into a great roleplayer. This advanced guide would probably link from the beginners' guide so it would be easily accessible, and it would help include all of the information suggested here in a swallow-able format.

Finally, I think changing the title from "Roleplay for Newbies" to "Roleplay for Beginners" would sound better -- not to mention more welcoming and appealing.

I think the guide looks good. It's short, to the point, and covers everything a new player would need to know about how things work here -- especially someone who might have never RPed before.

Once the basics truly are covered, I think maybe an "advanced" guide would be appropriate to contain all of the information to turn a good roleplayer into a great roleplayer. This advanced guide would probably link from the beginners' guide so it would be easily accessible, and it would help include all of the information suggested here in a swallow-able format.

Well, we already have:

Writing A Quality Roleplay Post

Roleplaying Etiquette

Roleplay Quality F.a.q.

Could we get a note in one of the RP guides about "this character needs a RP" threads in the OOC forum? Lurking around, I've seen quite a few that say "Char X and Char Y need to be in more RPs" and don't give any detail beyond that. I just think it should be a common courtesy to give at least a tiny bit of background on the characters or hint at what kind of RP you're looking for.