Favorite Episode (Season 2): Round 1 Poll 1

Ponyville Division  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Of the episodes below, which are your favorites? Check up to 3 episodes (and no more)

• A Canterlot Wedding
    • The Mysterious Mare Do Well
    • Sweet and Elite
    • It's About Time
    • Ponyville Confidential
    • Hurricane Fluttershy

I wanna know how the frig "Mysterious Mare Do-Well" got so far. Especially above favorites like "Hearts and Hooves" "Luna Eclipsed" and "Lesson Zero".

It hasn't.

Click on the link in the first post. This poll is one grouping in what is going to be a bigger tournament.

1. A Canterlot Wedding

2. Ponyville Confidential

I didn't pick a third because:

The Mysterious Mare Do Well

-I think I've just been influenced by the masses who didn't like the episode based on... the moral? Or whatever.

Sweet and Elite

-Let's say Rarity is my least favorite main 6. Although her songs (AOTD and PESK) are pretty good.

It's About Time

-I think I'm not a fan of this one because of the time travel paradox.

Hurricane Fluttershy

-¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I guess just not one of my favorites. Maybe it was the Flutterdash implication.

Hurricane Fluttershy

-¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I guess just not one of my favorites. Maybe it was the Flutterdash implication.

Yay. I'm not the only one who doesn't really love that episode! :)

And it's for the right reasons too. :shifty:

Only awesome thing about Hurricane Fluttershy was all the new pegasus designs.

It's About Time = Lesson Zero.

The only difference is the video game references that could be spotted, an the game changing decision that Celestia makes in the latter. Still, two of my fav Twi eps.

Seasonwise? Mmmm.

1) Return to Harmony

2) A Canterlot Wedding

3) Lesson Zero

You've got an amazing season opener/finisher set, along with the GO-TO episode of MLP. Lesson Zero is where I brought my little brother on board with the show. Everything in between has given us great things, great moments. One of the best songs in the series even. But things always got even better when in the adventure side of the show. The villains were every bit as memorable as NMM, and we even got some laughs out of the both of them if you can believe it! Between Discord turning Ponyville into his 4Chan and Queen Chrysalis singing whilst in the glory of what looked like her victory, the season has done it's work with those two-parters. And of course, Lesson Zero, for however much they twisted Twi's character and her friends to fit the plot, it ends up still being a valuable lesson to many by it's end, as well as opens the door for the others to do what they've been doing all of this season since it aired.

Yay. I'm not the only one who doesn't really love that episode! :)

And it's for the right reasons too. :shifty:

Only awesome thing about Hurricane Fluttershy was all the new pegasus designs.

I agree with this, too. I did like the little bit of Dashie growth (she actually backed off on Fluttershy instead of forcing her), but eh...I think the typical Fluttershy behavior formula is getting a bit stale, and this was just the latest.

• Like 1

hi hi

B-but Hurricane Fluttershy wasn't the typical Fluttershy formula. She doesn't hulk out and suddenly win the day, she tries that and fails, only squeaking by in the end by the smallest of margins because of hard work and practice. It may have touched on self confidence like other Fluttershy episodes (and honestly, people with low self confidence need repeated boosting) but it also stepped out of the mold and covered the topic of managing ones own expectations and the reality of failure.

Its About Time covered a lot of ground that Lesson Zero didn't, especially a lot of stuff about moral luck, where the consequences of her preparations changed throughout the episode depending on circumstances that were beyond prediction or control (unlike Lesson Zero where there was never any doubt) and self-fulfilling prophecy, where she causes events to happen without even trying. Most of all though, the way Its About Time came full circle from beginning to end was a masterpiece of zen poetry if you ask me.

Its like the Dalai Lama once said

Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.

Oh well, can't win em all. :P

hi hi

You make very good points, Gingin, but I was referring to Fluttershy's behavior formula of always needing to build self-confidence to accomplish a goal, which I find kind of annoying -- not the actual story with the inclusion of Fluttershy overcoming a problem because of her lack of self-confidence. I thought the story itself was rather well-done, but it scored low marks for me because of Fluttershy. Her character flaws are supposed to make her interesting, but her behavior comes off predictable and irritating to me.

Another good example would be Mare Do Well. I love the snot out of Dashie, but I thought her behavior (and the behavior of her friends) in that episode was way off the mark -- it felt overdone, convoluted, and out of character for everypony involved.

I like Fluttershy as character, though! She still manages to surprise me now and then.

To each her own!

• Like 1

hi hi

I guess maybe its one of those things where you just had to be there.

(Hurricane Fluttershy hit so close to home for me it was scary.)

Edit: Now that I think about it though, I suppose the reaction shouldn't come as a surprise. Being reserved and needing time to think and prepare before trying new things certainly didn't win me many friends when I was growing up. So as frustrating as meeting others expectations can be, I suppose I sometimes forget how frustrating my own way of doing things can be for others.

Eh, I think there's a reason Sonic Rainboom beat Party of One in the tournament last year. :smug:

It is clearly the best episode ever (or well, second half of the wedding might be better... I don't know... it's close).

hi hi

Based on the reactions people had in the comment threads previously, I suspect that if there is one episode that might stand to challenge Canterlot Wedding, I think it will be The Last Roundup. Though it was marred by controversy, it was for the most part, widely enjoyed by just about everyone as far as I could tell.

hi hi

Based on the reactions people had in the comment threads previously, I suspect that if there is one episode that might stand to challenge Canterlot Wedding, I think it will be The Last Roundup. Though it was marred by controversy, it was for the most part, widely enjoyed by just about everyone as far as I could tell.

Wait, what controversy? I enjoyed that one for sure.

Edit: oh yeah, derpy.

hi hi

It's my favorite episode.

Also, oooh, a tie for third.

In the case of ties, both episodes move on. So there's a chance that 4 could make it out of this bracket.

As for Party of One, Rosewind, unfortunately, the time for voting that up has long passed. These tourneys are temporal things, and once voting closes, it closes for good. The results from season 1:

uSuso.png

As you can see, Party of One tied Sonic Rainboom, then lost by one point in the runoff. Why? Because you're all FOOLS is why. Party of One isn't just a good episode, it's a masterpiece. it can't be bested because it's already flawless from start to finish. Fuh-law-less.

Am I the only one who loves the Mysterious Mare Do Well episode? :-(

YES.

BUT NO.

Let's just say it was very polarizing, and it's a hate it/love it kind of thing across the board.

And I challenge your Party of One with A FRIEND IN DEED.

hi hi

Well scientifically speaking, using the votes from this favorite contest to determine the least favorite episode is definitely denying the antecedent. If voting for an episode means you like it, doest follow that not voting for an episode means you don't like it.

By that methodology, an episode that had one person vote 10/10 and nine people vote 0/10 would beat an episode where ten people voted 9/10.

• Like 1

hi hi

Well scientifically speaking, using the votes from this favorite contest to determine the least favorite episode is definitely denying the antecedent. If voting for an episode means you like it, doest follow that not voting for an episode means you don't like it.

By that methodology, an episode that had one person vote 10/10 and nine people vote 0/10 would beat an episode where ten people voted 9/10.

Yes, that occured to me, without all the fancy language. It's all just for fun.