Crossovers you've wanted to try, but were too obscure

Pretty much what it says on the tin, here. This is a thread for all of you to post those ideas for Crossovers that you've been sitting on top of, not sure if they'd get any interest, since not many would be familiar with the source material.

To start the ball rolling, here's mine:

It's an Isaac Asimov Crossover, but not how you'd think. Few people know this, but in addition to science fiction, Asimov also wrote mysteries, and there's a series of short stories he did called "Banquets of the Black Widowers" that I really enjoyed. The puzzles were clever, of course, but the framing device was what made it stick out in my mind.

See, the Black Widowers were a city club with half a dozen members, who would have one banquet every month, with each member taking turns bringing a guest. The guest would get a free and delicious meal, on the condition that he answer every question put forward by the club. Invariably, each guest would have an odd or incomplete story, which would be set forward before the club, who would ask elucidating questions. Of course, the waiter almost always was the one who solved the thing.

I thought that might be fun, though I may be the only one on the boards who's even heard of the series, and it would play out more like an in-character forum game than a true RP, which may not be attractive to most.

Anyway, post your thoughts, or your own ideas, below!

Hm, yeah, the draw of the games was that, well, they were games. You could probably pull off an actual game crossover, now that I think about it, the tone of the original Genesis games fits, even better than Fire Emblem, in my opinion.

Any of numerous Mangas/Anime, most of which are not even available in English, sadly... (and the few that are, are so old or obscure that nobody remembers them...) Doesnt help that I have odd taste in Anime (random series from every Genre) occasionally also random video games that were obscure and/or unpopular (especially now when "all" games are FPS and/or Action and hardly anyone plays or remember the classic Turn-Based JRPG format...)

Only occasionally do I try to do random crossovers (often short references) to books since I've not done any serious reading in years (curse you, internet!) But all of those failed too...

Heck, I've really only done a couple "fan" RPGs at all, most "mainstream" Fan RPGs tend to be either a load of schoolkids who think an exciting story can be settled in 1 page... or else "literate" RPs that require a whole PAGE per post and use crazy metaphors in every single post to sound more "Learned" than anyone else...

In short I've had maybe 5 crossovers in my life and fewer "fan" RPGs (most done with my best-friend) I've had to stick to generic genres and MLP was the first "Fan" RPG that I've done in roughly ten years (outside of the few random ones with my friend)

So yes, lots of things, I sincerely feel your pain, I really do *hugs*

Heh, I've done "page-per-post" RP's before (though in original universes, not fan ones per se); I actually don't mind those that much. I do forum RPG's as a chance to excercise my writing, so having a small group of players doing a super-literate game would be perfectly fine with me (which gives me a sliver of hope for a possible Man Who Was Thursday crossover, though that has its own set of issues.)

in a thread I currently DM called No Land's End I have unintentionally started to give it a feel similar to that of the Inheritance Cycle. I dont know if its the phrasing I have used or the character development or even just the mood but there is something about how everything has come together tha makes me imagine it as an OC crossover of the Inheritance cycle. Stille the story line itself only barely shows similarities to the books, the mood and style are the main things. Though I wonder what it would be like to have ponies in Alagaesia...

I WAS gonna make a "post-apocalypse" themed RP but then the "we have kids present" thing popped in my mind, and i realized that we don't want kids asking what an apocalypse is or what a plague is at a young age

Aren't kids these days at least familiar with it? Of course, I was introduced to Revelation fairly early in life, but you'd think that Fallout:Equestria would have percolated down this community, and I know we've got other post-apoc threads on the boards.

I WAS gonna make a "post-apocalypse" themed RP but then the "we have kids present" thing popped in my mind, and i realized that we don't want kids asking what an apocalypse is or what a plague is at a young age

I take it you are not Catholic. I learned what both of these things were in first grade, in a Catholic school.

MOOMIN, at least to American audiences. I wanted to put together a Moomin RP in crossovers because it would be ADORABLE and hilarious. A pony in Moominland? Adorableness waiting to happen.

I would also like to crossover with this obscure toy line/crazy art called Wanda the Wonder Frog by Studio Uoo.

Because, really, how could this NOT exist in the Everfree Forest somewhere?

2177640479_082408eb76.jpg

4338205388_e44c66a862_z.jpg?zz=1

Yeah... I had a few of those idea and they were decided to be "too mature" and I shouldn't run them on canterlot... T_T

Here's one that almost fits!

MLP... and Gummi Bears! (anyone remember that series? I think FiM actually took some cues from them based on some of the "...did they just (say/imply/mean)...?!" not to mention "kinda violent/deep/etc for kids..."

I take it you are not Catholic. I learned what both of these things were in first grade, in a Catholic school.

MOOMIN, at least to American audiences. I wanted to put together a Moomin RP in crossovers because it would be ADORABLE and hilarious. A pony in Moominland? Adorableness waiting to happen.

I would also like to crossover with this obscure toy line/crazy art called Wanda the Wonder Frog by Studio Uoo.

Because, really, how could this NOT exist in the Everfree Forest somewhere?

2177640479_082408eb76.jpg

4338205388_e44c66a862_z.jpg?zz=1

well actually, you're kinda right but...

when i say post-apocalypse im talking a hunger games post apocalypse thing, like people attacking other people to survive post apocalypse

the "Betrayal is a key weapon" kind of post apocalypse

ALL HECK BREAKING LOOSE APOCALYPSE, A SOCIAL APOCALYPSE AFTER THE APOCALYPSE

but then again, i'm the only one in my family who isn't religious, so i guess catholics are used to that stuff?

One of the very nice things about this thread, is that there is always the possibility that one might just pull off these crossovers, if you get them in the hands of the right players. One Piece isn't all that obscure, and I can definitely see it working.

Gummi Bears was undoubtedly the spearhead cartoon of a golden and wonderful era. I wouldn't be surprised if FiM took cues from it.

Gummi Bears was Disney's FIRST feature-quality TV Cartoon Serial, they took a huge gamble and it payed off. It was a good series that has stood the test of time (I actually rewatched a dozen epps recently, and while, yes, there are times it clear who the target audeince is, the show is STILL funny, still relevant, and still fresh some 30-40 years after it was made ('72 I want to say...? maybe it was '82... seems like it was 70s though) Also because they were Disney they got away with a LOT of stuff... and also because they were Disney they added a lot of 'hidden' stuff :P

Gummi Bears was Disney's FIRST feature-quality TV Cartoon Serial, they took a huge gamble and it payed off. It was a good series that has stood the test of time (I actually rewatched a dozen epps recently, and while, yes, there are times it clear who the target audeince is, the show is STILL funny, still relevant, and still fresh some 30-40 years after it was made ('72 I want to say...? maybe it was '82... seems like it was 70s though) Also because they were Disney they got away with a LOT of stuff... f :P

It was mid 80's because I was in 1st or 2nd grade when it aired. so '86 or '86. It's definitely not like cartoon TV shows produced in the 70s. Similar to some animated movies, perhaps, but definitely not TV shows.

Funny thing about Gummi Bears? Some of the characterizations and feel were taken from Disney's biggest flop, the Black Cauldron. I guarantee that planning sessions for that movie were the genesis for the show.

Look at:

• Cavin Vs Taran (with a dash of Wart from the Sword in the Stone)
  • Calla Vs. Eilonwy. A tough action princess (Calla's less annoying though, she was my childhood hero)
  • And Toadwart and Creeper are just pretty much exactly the same character, but Toady's a little bowdlerized. Same voice even.

Also, the episode where they find Gusto is kind of the basis of a book I am writing (the setting, notsomuch else, but it definitely was the thing that gave me the idea). It's kind of tied with Muppet Babies for most beloved cartoon of my grade school years, and I watched it when it was Saturday Morning fare, again when it was the first show in the Disney Afternoon (which I will fully admit is a big part of my grudge against Darkwing Duck. DD aired, Gummies got bumped.), and as an adult on DVD. This show + the Dark Crystal are what made me love fantasy.

But I agree. FiM's creators definitely had this as an influence. Because they're around my age, and I don't know a single person my age who didn't like the Gummi Bears as a child. :D Next round of watching maybe I'll try to make a list of things that could be shoutouts.

This is why I think that in season 3 a Brigadoon-esque scenario might pop up. Because of Gummadoon.

and also because they were Disney they added a lot of 'hidden' stuff :P

My favorite, and nobody to the best of my knowledge has picked this up because I have never seen it mentioned online... but in the episode where Tummi makes himself really fast, Zummi, who is a malaproper extrordinaire, mixes up the beginnings of the phrase "Get a shot" And you get this slightly NSFW gem (listen carefully to what Zummi says):

http://youtu.be/OhDognrvN7g?t=9m19s

And did you ever notice that the music was very very similar to the music in the Goonies. I may be too familiar with this show....

This is relevant!

Full Intro (oringally) only available on The Disney Afternoon Official Soundtrack (and according to wikipedia, one of Disney's more memorable and elaborate themesongs)

Sadly I started watching it after the DA bump, so it was shown early in the mornings and I only saw a handful of eppisodes (I really need to go watch it again in full now...)

Never saw Black Cauldron so cant really comment, but Disney is known to recycle characters so they could be the same 'template' for both.

I'm just waiting for a unicorn to show up who's an OBVIOUS expy of Zummi lol (and I still say CDD reminded me a lot of Gruffi Gummi)

Amusing story also, a friend of mine (on this forum actually) Ran a Shadowrun RPG where one of the players built Zummi Gummi as their character! (And from what I'm told Zummi did quite well in the game...)

And yes! Muppet Babies was a great series, I dont know why so many people never mention it, I still have episodes on VHS I occasionally watch. *makes note to seek out digital version of this series too*

I briefly had an idea for doing a sci-fi RP based on Bucky O'Hare, or maybe Starfox (or maybe both). I can't really think of how to make it work, but it would be a nice little experiment. Maybe I'll give fanfic writing a go someday.

I'll also had ideas for D&D crossovers based in the Eberron, Planescape or Dragonmech settings. This would be somewhat hampered by the fact that I've never played D&D (outside of the video games) and have next to no experience DMing. Again, perhaps something I can save for fanfic.

I have a SWRCD20 Anthro Rabbit named Bucky! :D (Modled after the famous O'hare of course)

Oh gawd I love the planescape setting! Considering you mentioned games, are you perchance refering to Planescape: TORMENT? BEST. DND. GAME. EVER! It's so hard to wait to re-play it, but I remember too much of the plot (and for those wondering it's a "character must progress through the plot" knowing it plot as a player just makes it harder because your going to location X and nothing happens because the *character* hasn't met the requirements yet)

If your interested in DND, I'd be more than glad to DM for you, or at least give you some pointers (though I'm rusty, I've not DM's proper since 2nd edition)

Another one that just occurred to me...

Does anybody here remember the Myth-Adventures series by Robert Aspirin? It followed the adventures of Skeeve, a young apprentice magician, and Aahz, the dimensional traveler, who was deprived of his magical abilities, and so had to parter up with Skeeve, and the various ways in which they and their comrades get in over their heads, and come out richer.

I think it would really work, especially since the series' universe has dimensional-travel built into it (Inter-universal smuggling for fun and profit!) allowing the characters access to Equestria, and the theme of depending upon one's friends runs strong through both the Myth books and FiM.