Crystal Empire Jousting (Thread idea-open to all ponies, even non-crystal) (gauging interest)

Hippo

Hey!

As Shining's new player I have an idea for a thread that will give way to something new and exciting. In short, the thread idea involves Shining using a promoted jousting competition to try and get new recruits that succeed in the competition. Here's what I hope to accomplish:

-Provide a good background of jousting culture in our board canon of the Crystal Empire

-Give characters that aspire or could potentially try to be a guard to earn their right

-Create an environment where anypony, even non-competitors can interact with Shining Armor, Prince of the Empire.

Here's how it'll work. The jousting competition will be Shining's attempt to gain new recruits for the Crystal pony guard. You do not have to be a crystal pony in order to be a crystal pony guard.

There will likely be multiple winners, not just one. Shining will determine their success individually, not necessarily how they match up against one another. If you are interested in having your character join the ranks or if you just want your character to show what they got, even if they are already part of the guard, they need to sign up in this thread. Please reply for admission.

If you are either or only interested in spectating the competition as a pony or otherwise, that will be available. Please let me know if you are interested in attending the event, however responding to this thread is not required to insert a spectating pony in the thread.

Competitors/Potential Recruits (includes existing guards):

Alexandrite

Albina Elena Greywing

Tigrus Gemshoe

Tankena

Spectators:

Shining Armor

Stronghold

Spinel Fix (Medic)

Earth Writer (Reporter)

In development:

TwoBits' new OC

This looks pretty interesting! I've actually had the idea for a crystal pony OC stewing away for a little bit now, I'll try and get her sheet posted tonight on the laptop so we can maybe have her as a medic for patching up any jousting dings and bruises. ^^

A couple of questions before I sign up for this,

1) If a character just wanted to compete for the fun of it, but was not interested in the offer to join the guard, would there be any obligations to placing high in the competition?

2) I'm assuming this one was answered in the OP, but I'd like clarification just to be on the safe side: is this event is open to all characters, including non-ponies?

A couple of questions before I sign up for this,

1) If a character just wanted to compete for the fun of it, but was not interested in the offer to join the guard, would there be any obligations to placing high in the competition?

2) I'm assuming this one was answered in the OP, but I'd like clarification just to be on the safe side: is this event is open to all characters, including non-ponies?

1) No. Think of it like the Wonderbolts. If the Officers are happy with a pony's ability,they will invite them to the team, but there is no obligation.

2) I want to say no and limit it to earth ponies, unicorns, and pegasus ponies, and crystal ponies of all kinds. But if you are interested in adding a different character from another race, please feel free to defend the right to do so and why you think it'll be ok to allow that. You might just convince me.

I think Stronghold would definitely take the chance to show up and spectate. He is from the north, so a trip to the empire wouldn't be it of his way. He may also use the oppourtunity to see how far the empire's grown. ^^ I will message you something as well

Heck, if he feels up to it, Stronghold may just join in for the fun of it. Get his guard game on.

I was considering having Albina Elena Greywing take part in the tournament. She's a physical sort of griffoness who loves sports and competition, and would enjoy having an opportunity to go up against some of the Guard, potential recruits and established veterans alike. She's also a business-griffon with an eye for opportunity, and would be eager to speak with Shining Armor to see if she could open up a consumer base for the products of her and her business partners' with the Crystal Guard, as she has with the REA in Equestria.

I imagine her reason for being in the Crystal Empire would thus to be twofold: confer with Shining Armor about her proposal for the trading of equipment, arms, and armor; and take part in the jousting competition to stretch her legs and have a little fun to go along with the drudges of economics.

I was considering having Albina Elena Greywing take part in the tournament. She's a physical sort of griffoness who loves sports and competition, and would enjoy having an opportunity to go up against some of the Guard, potential recruits and established veterans alike. She's also a business-griffon with an eye for opportunity, and would be eager to speak with Shining Armor to see if she could open up a consumer base for the products of her and her business partners' with the Crystal Guard, as she has with the REA in Equestria. I imagine her reason for being in the Crystal Empire would thus to be twofold: confer with Shining Armor about her proposal for the trading of equipment, arms, and armor; and take part in the jousting competition to stretch her legs and have a little fun to go along with the drudges of economics.

Ok. I'll have Albine enter the competition, or were you just wanting spectation because of it being a visit involving trade?

I'm only going to put names on the list once. I understand the possibility that the names could switch lists from spectator to competitor and vice versa. We will be able to play things by ear more when it comes time to actually write it out in the RP.

She's there as a competitor, for certain. She wants to meet with Shining Armor, sure, but an easier way to do that is to distinguish herself in the event rather than try to flag him down otherwise. But, as you said, things can be more by ear when the RP is up.

• 2 weeks later...

This RP idea is still very much alive. If you have a RP friend who you think would be interested in this, please feel free. I want as many ponies to participate as possible. However, I would like it to remain one character per player.

Spinel Fix has been approved, and would very much like to join as a medic!

Her bio, for reference: www.canterlot.com/topic/17827-spinel-fix-final/#entry440036

added as a spectator. Might be an interesting interaction. Maybe that'll put some sore ponies at ease. ;)

Would you like for me to bring my reporter OC, Earth Writer, along? An event like this would be good publicity for the Empire, as well as a way of getting the word out even further.

Yes. Is this like 'after-the-fact' reporting, or is this on site loudspeaker analyst?

Archived