Hitting a wall

Frain Breeze

I'll be honest, I think I'm starting to lose interest in this site.

There are a few "technically open" RPs I'm in right now, but I think only one of them has a pulse. The rest are all stalled due to lack of other players' activity or not enough players to begin with. As for the "live" one, I'm having trouble thinking of stuff that can happen that is both interesting and actually fits within the Mane RP's rules. The Mane RP is geared heavily toward "slice of life" stories, which I've come to find out aren't anywhere near as fun to RP as they are to watch in the show. I want action, I want adventure. But with restrictions on monsters, antagonists, and worldbuilding, it feels like the most I could have without trouble from the staff is an occasional scuffle.

I'm expecting the default answer to be "try the Crossovers or Free-for-All section!," and that doesn't really satisfy me. The way any idea that doesn't fit the Mane RP is automatically directed there, it makes me feel it's just a dumping ground for dumb ideas. The place where all of the robot unicorns, godmode alicorns, those with overdone grimdark personalities are sent so they don't trash up the Mane RP. When I see "try Crossovers or Free-for-All" posted as a response, I can't help but think the intent is "Your idea is dumb, go play with the other rejects." I will admit that I have only taken very small glances at this section of the site, but the first impressions of it have been quite poor.

It just doesn't feel like there's a middleground between RPs where anything can happen, and the Mane RP where nothing interesting can happen. Is there anything you can think of to help get me back in the game?

As far as I'm aware, it's fine to introduce NPC monsters and antagonists into the mix, you just can't have a monster for one of your playable characters. That's what them not being on the approved species list means; you can't app for one and go into other people's threads with your OC hydra or manticore with the intention of simply being a disruption. I don't think anyone, staff or otherwise, will complain if an RPer has an NPC monster appear in the RP, so long as no one has it do anything too serious without another player's consent. I've been in a number of threads where such a thing has transpired and no ones ever said anything, and I've even brought a few NPC antagonists into threads myself. it usually goes pretty smoothly.

To me, most of the restrictions in the mane RP seem to be there to prevent us from being disruptive or overly dominating toward other RPers or from flying in the face of what we see in show and to a lesser extent board canon. And while, there are restrictions for mature content in place as well, generally I don't get the sense that the point of any of it is to stem our creativity or get in the way of our ability to tell the stories we'd like to.

I'm expecting the default answer to be "try the Crossovers or Free-for-All section!," and that doesn't really satisfy me. The way any idea that doesn't fit the Mane RP is automatically directed there, it makes me feel it's just a dumping ground for dumb ideas. The place where all of the robot unicorns, godmode alicorns, those with overdone grimdark personalities are sent so they don't trash up the Mane RP. When I see "try Crossovers or Free-for-All" posted as a response, I can't help but think the intent is "Your idea is dumb, go play with the other rejects." I will admit that I have only taken very small glances at this section of the site, but the first impressions of it have been quite poor.

I take quite offense to this actually. I'm pretty active in the FFA and Crossover sections with my Fallout Equestria RPs, which in itself is a whole world on its own separate from the Mane RP. It can show a lot of dynamic plots as good as any Mane RP. You're sadly mistaken if you think those sections are for "rejects". Sure there are a lot of "dumb" RPs in those sections but I can say the same for the Mane RP as well.

Phil the Time Wizard:

What antagonists and creatures have you had as NPCs, and how big a part did they play? I thought I read something before that a lot of the monsters are completely off limits to non-staff, NPC or not, but perhaps I misinterpreted it. Looking at the rules, I can't even find anything relevant to the subject besides the "no monster main characters" thing.

Xiee:

Sorry to offend you. You may be right about both sections having their share of "dumb" threads. Problem is, there are a bunch of things that make me walk into FFA/CO with a "red flag" already set in my head.

• Mane RP has basically half the entire site dedicated to it. FFA/CO are on their own.
  • Mane RP requires character approvals to play, and actually get a "stamp of approval" from the mods. FFA/CO is just open.
  • Again, anything that doesn't fit the Mane RP seems to get directed to FFA/CO by default.
  • The "Rules" link at the right of the page doesn't even display anything for Free For All.

So, with those things in mind, I end up going in looking for flaws instead of ignoring them like in the Mane RP. I'll have to try looking at those sections with a clear mind soon.

I can understand your frustration and I see your point. So...how can it be fixed? I see several different solutions on different levels:

1. Encourage players in FFA/CO to come give Mane RP a chance. This would spur more activity in the structured RP environment, and is probably the most desirable thing to do.

2. Create another section with its own rule set that would require application-approved characters, but with less strictness.

3. Take a break, as your frustration might be a symptom of burn out. Canterlot has robust non-RP sections with various regulars -- you might make some new friends!

For all of its flaws, I think Mane RP works well enough. It's never going to be perfect -- nor will it please everyone -- but it will only put out what you put into it. The more people you meet, make friends with, and interact with, I think the more fun you'll have. Remember we're in the middle of a summer pony drought; I'm sure activity will pick up again once S3 launches.

I find what Frain Breeze has said to be very relatable. Most of the Mane RP's are closed and private, which is a bummer. Likewise, I find people like to stick to only one section: Mane RP or Crossovers. The solution, in my opinion, is to get some more mixing into these RPs. Get some Crossover players to approve their characters, if they havent already, and join in on Mane RP. Likewise, Mane RP players should get into Crossover more! That way you get a lot more variety and creativity, then you see more cool ideas taking form.

yeah I agree with SRG and Rosie both. I try to balance it out by taking ONLY the ideas that wont fly in mane rp to crossovers. So if I want to have a nice quiet evening in the park im not going to do it in ffa or crossovers. I go to crossovers for my daily dose of violence and and maturity, so it balances out quite well for me like that :)

Phil the Time Wizard:

What antagonists and creatures have you had as NPCs, and how big a part did they play? I thought I read something before that a lot of the monsters are completely off limits to non-staff, NPC or not, but perhaps I misinterpreted it. Looking at the rules, I can't even find anything relevant to the subject besides the "no monster main characters" thing.

Hmm, well here are some examples:

• In this thread we had an NPC agent of some extremist group pop up for my REIN agent, Verity, to show off her skills and apprehend.
  • In this thread I introduced a named NPC antagonist griffon who has become quite involved in the plot as of now, not to mention a veritable army of other NPC griffons getting in the way of the threads heroes.
  • In this thread, a whole set of antagonist NPCs was introduced that included a number of griffons and diamond dogs, who end up capturing our adventuring group.
  • In this thread, the OP introduced a shadowy NPC antagonist who seemed to have insights into the players thoughts and fears (which he asked for by PM beforehand) and effectively ended up driving the thread.
  • In this thread we had a cockatrice show up and cause a bit of a stir before it was dealt with.

You are right in saying the rules don't say much about what you're able to include as far as NPCs and the like go, but my interpretation is that's actually pretty open. Maybe in a slice of life type thread the idea of introducing monsters and antagonists suddenly is one that could be disruptive, but in an adventure story, I think it's kinda pretty much expected. I can't see why there would be much of a problem with it so long as you're respectful towards other players.

Both of the RP Sections have great things about them! Say you wanted to play Rainbow Dash, but BrambleRose is already playing her in the Mane RP. Free For All is perfect! Say you want a steampunk pony RP. Look no further than Crossovers! But if you want something true to Canon, Mane RP is amazing. The thing is, every section has its problems. Free For All can be messy. Crossovers can be...well, odd. And Mane RP can move very slow. But if you play around and try new things, you will always find enthusiastic, creative, and dedicated Bronies who do awesome RP.

Crossovers and Free For All are definitely not reject areas. While a lot of discarding, recycling, and shoving happens, some of the best RPs on this site are in there! People work just as hard to create depth and an intriquite plot line as they do in the mane RP, and like Xiee said I am a bit offended by all the hate it gets.

and like Xiee said I am a bit offended by all the hate it gets.

I have to agree, I have a thread (on hiatus atm) in crossovers called "no lands end" that I have poured my heart and soul into. Its met with fantastic rp and what I feel is a very intriguing story. And there are more than a few others worth checking out!

• Like 1

For the record I have nothing against the Mane RP, I'm quite active there as well (I have 6 mane RP OCs and I play as The Mayor of Ponyville). And my take on there are too many CLOSED/INVITE ONLY threads is... Start your own OPEN RPs and entice players into them. I'll admit I'm having difficulty on this but that's another reason why I have a lot of OCs. I'm not stuck in Ponyville. I have a military mare in Stalliongrad, a Griffon pirate in an amazing airship with a lovable crew, and a businessmare Pegasus in Manehattan. It's all about diversifying, then again not everyone is comforable having multiple OCs (I have 8). So each to his/her own.

Anway, Frain Breeze, its okay... I know how must have felt when you posted that, I just wanted to make a point that the FFA/Crossover sections are not what others percieve them to be.

Hmm, well here are some examples:

• In this thread we had an NPC agent of some extremist group pop up for my REIN agent, Verity, to show off her skills and apprehend.
  • In this thread I introduced a named NPC antagonist griffon who has become quite involved in the plot as of now, not to mention a veritable army of other NPC griffons getting in the way of the threads heroes.
  • In this thread, a whole set of antagonist NPCs was introduced that included a number of griffons and diamond dogs, who end up capturing our adventuring group.
  • In this thread, the OP introduced a shadowy NPC antagonist who seemed to have insights into the players thoughts and fears (which he asked for by PM beforehand) and effectively ended up driving the thread.
  • In this threadwe had a cockatrice show up and cause a bit of a stir before it was dealt with.

You are right in saying the rules don't say much about what you're able to include as far as NPCs and the like go, but my interpretation is that's actually pretty open. Maybe in a slice of life type thread the idea of introducing monsters and antagonists suddenly is one that could be disruptive, but in an adventure story, I think it's kinda pretty much expected. I can't see why there would be much of a problem with it so long as you're respectful towards other players.

As someone involved in one of these, lemme tell you that its quite easy to have monsters/antagonists. It's how you do it.

As someone involved in one of these, lemme tell you that its quite easy to have monsters/antagonists. It's how you do it.

Also, its who you do it with. I will admit that there are cliques in RP. But that's because people gel well with certain people's styles of writing. When you get comfortable with one or two people, it's not hard to go from not having anything to RP in, to not having enough time to catch up in the ones where it's your turn.

And the reason why Open RPs can be hard to find, is because more than the frustration of not having open threads, its a whole lot more frustrating having a thread ruined by someone who randomly waltzes in a decides to do things the other RPers don't like. This is why most will play it safe and close the thread once they got enough people involved.

Also, you more than welcome to join my Open thread involving Applejack and kisses buying apples. You might find a link in my signature if you look close enough.