Random Encounters

Erlenmeyer

Can't Find a fitting image so have a Twilight with Rarity's mane:

83986+-+Twirity+artist+raikoh14+twilight_sparkle.jpg

Story time! During my senior year of high school, I was taking a biotechnology course at a technical college. I had recently turned into a brony (about 2 or 3 months prior) and I was still in that phase where I was an extreme closet brony. I did however reach the point where I was starting to ponify my stuff. I changed by background on Google to one with a saluting Rainbow Dash with a rainbow starburst background. So one day I had turned on my computer to do an assignment about DNA replication and such. I opened the browser and logged into google, having completely forgotten about the background. As soon as I hit enter, a cute RD saluting away. Startled (not scared startled, but "WTF ARE YOU DOING HERE?!" startled), I felt my stomach jump into my throat.

My friend, who was looking for trucks on craigslist at the time, looked over at my screen and donned a confused expression on his face. "Is... Is that a pony?" I started to sweat, as I do when I get nervous.

I responded with a short, "Yeah."

"Why is there a pony on your computer," he asked with a snicker.

A million responses and explanations raced through my head. I decided to go with, "Because she's awesome."

At this point I was mentally facepalming myself multiple times. "So does that mean you watch My Little Pony?" he asked. I nodded. Then his friend, a girl that sat next to me, looked over and commented on how that was a little wierd. Fortunately for me they were good friends and they didn't tease me or anything. They decided got into a conversation about how their cousins also watch the show and how it scares them. I sat there kind of embarassed but at the same time, a little happy. It would have come up one time or another. From that point I decided not to hide my Pony Swag.

TLDR: I had a rainbow dash background on my google homepage. It got discovered in my biotech class. I didn't get teased like I thought I would. I decided not to hide my swag.

So what about you guys? Do you have stories about your Bronyness being accidentally discovered? Or perhaps you discovered someone else is a brony. Look forward to hearing your stories!

• Like 1

So, here's a story.

I've been working at Barnes and Noble for... 4 and a half years? I've been put in every position possible for random amounts of time. Apparently, I've been good at all of them. Recently though, little old me has been given the boot to Supervisor of the music department. Yay! But that's now what this story is about. Last Friday, I'm doing my 9-5. A gentleman a little younger than me, maybe 20-25 or so, comes in and asks for the Powerpuff Girls DVD. Proudly, I slap down our massive box set and exclaim how nice it is to see guys (and I used the word "guys") remember how good this series is. He agrees and says that all of Lauren Faust's stuff is amazing. I then show him my staff recommendation, which is Friendship Express. He's in NY for Bronycon it turns out!

We Brohoof. I tell him he has friends in this store. Then we part our merry ways.

That's my story.

How about yours?

Have not yet met another Brony in the wild.

However, I did notice one especially odd detail at A&P once. There was a designated kids' book section in one aisle. Was quite small.

A few sections down from it, there were exercise magazines, car magazines, all the manliness.

Right atop those "manly" magazines was a FiM-related storybook.

I said aloud in that very A&P, "The Bronies were here!"

I love the mystery that surrounds an obvious Brony trail... :blah:

Have not yet met another Brony in the wild.

However, I did notice one especially odd detail at A&P once. There was a designated kids' book section in one aisle. Was quite small.

A few sections down from it, there were exercise magazines, car magazines, all the manliness.

Right atop those "manly" magazines was a FiM-related storybook.

I said aloud in that very A&P, "The Bronies were here!"

I love the mystery that surrounds an obvious Brony trail... :blah:

I'm going to do that the next time I go to a bookstore... leave behind a conspicuous brony trail.

Well, I never had a big reveal around my friends and co-workers - I just never hid it from them. But I never told my family and I'm visiting them this month for the first time since becoming a Brony. I will be wearing pony shirts from time to time on top of the fact I just had a plush delivered to their house for me to pick up and a few shirts from WeLoveFine are on their way. I imagine I have a rather interesting conversation to look forward to. :blush:

• Like 1

I never brought it up around my parents, but my fiancee's mom knew she liked the show and apparently knew I liked it because she made a reference to it during a dinner with her, my parents and I. I said I hadn't watched it while I was at home because I didn't want to subject my parents to my cartoons. My dad said "And I'm glad for that."

I could merge these, but the way it seems to me, this topic is about the writer's "coming out" story, while Random Encounters () is about OTHER Bronies being discovered. While there is some crossover, the topics seem distinct enough to me.

I could merge these, but the way it seems to me, this topic is about the writer's "coming out" story, while Random Encounters (http://www.canterlot...dom-encounters/) is about OTHER Bronies being discovered. While there is some crossover, the topics seem distinct enough to me.

Pretty much! :D I find both kinds of stories intriguing though

• 2 weeks later...

Today at Hot Topic, I was simply bumbling around looking for something Brony-related, when the lady behind the desk notices my Brony shirt and immediately recognized that I was a Brony.

I got excited for a moment, and asked if she was one, but it turned out she wasn't. However, she sounded extremely interested in the concept of it, and we even got into a small discussion about BronyCon, as she had said that a guy had come in directly from BronyCon a few weeks before and was talking about it, right after I mentioned the convention, of course.

Heck, she even let me in an awesome bit of merchandise they hadn't even put on the shelves yet. Let me buy this new Brony WALLET!

I can safely say that it was quite a cool experience. Sounds like I even got her interested in watching the show... ;-)

• 5 weeks later...

Time to resurrect this thread for a bit of awesomeness!

OK! So I work at a pretty laid back gadget shop in The East Village. We can wear whatever we want pretty much. And so today I decided to wear my 20% Cooler shirt. It was a pretty slow and uneventful day until this family walked in at the end of the day... A man and a woman with their two children. They were looking around the store and I was chatting with them. It was all pretty standard until they got to check out.

The wife asked "What does "This shirt got 20 percent cooler" mean?" The older of the two kids (Around 10 years old) GASPS and says "I KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS" I replied "Of course your son would know" And immediately asks for a brohoof. At that point I realized I met one of the younger bronies other than kids at BronyCon. The mother jumps in and says "Oh its my little pony related." And then my manager asks the kid what his favorite pony is (She is also a my little pony fan). He replies Luna (The kid is already awesome). Then we start talking about Lauren Faust, her other works, the charity, and Tara Strong's involvement, and the entire awesomeness of the Brony community (The wife's exact words were "Insane in a good way") and MLP show. (The entire conversation lasted about 5-10 minutes) As it turns out the entire family watches and enjoys the show. Pretty awesome right? WELL IT GETS BETTER!

Right after they walked out, my manager googled the name of the Husband/father, as it was the name of a famous documentary filmmaker, thinking it couldn't have been him.... Well as it turns out... The family of bronies/my little pony fans was none other David Hoffman's family. So... my first real brony encounter turned out to be one with a famous filmmaker. MIND BLOWN.

• Like 1

I was at the doctors office, and she had a chalkboard nearby. I sketched a quick Pinkie Pie and captioned it "FOREVER!!"

When she came back in, she started giggling and said "Your test results have come back 20% cooler. You don't have any diseases!"