The Canterlot Voice - Episode 7 - Shwink

NemesisPon3

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should NemesisPon3 change his username to Mecha Shockwave?

Hello Everypony

For this week's episode we covered the latest news, More people on the creativity front.

and introduced a new member to our podcast team and give him a quick interview!

Hope you enjoy this weeks episode of the canterlot voice.

Show notes

Hosts

• NemesisPon3

Guests

News

Creative Works

Featured Artist:

o Picture 1

o Picture 2

o Picture 3

o Picture 4

Shoutouts:

Discussion

• Should NemesisPon3 change his canterlot.com username to Mecha Shockwave?
  • Mlp Mmorpg? Would you play it?
  • N: Fighting is magic, to download, or not to download?

Noctriix Interview:

Favorite pony?

Favorite episode?

How has your experience on Canterlot been?

Ever been a part of a different forum or group?

Any favorite threads or subsections of the site that you enjoy the most?

If you were given a chance to work with Hasbro and the creators of MLP, what job position would you go for?

Favorite kind of muffin?

Cool Stuff

Intro Song: Pony Should Pony Pony by alllevelsatonce

Outro Song: Winter Wrap Up Metalized by Bronyfied

• Like 2

Pretty good episode. :)

Noctriix is quick, amusing and has a great voice for this. I'm glad to hear he'll be staying with the team; he's a great addition. Also he likes Rarity which makes him just that much cooler. ;)

Another great pick for your Artist of the Week. PurpleBird's stuff is great; I love the request she did for me.

Also, I now want to eat that muffin. Wow... :?:

Wow. Thanks for the shout-out, I loved the show as always! I do hope Noctriix becomes a regular addition to the show; he was a pleasure to listen to.1

Listening to the show a second time, as there was so much I’d like to comment on. Here goes:

Really wish my OC had gotten approved in time for Iron Pony,2 being British my inbuilt cynicism has been worn away by two weeks of non-stop coverage, to the point where I felt enthusiastic about anything even vaguely related to the Olympics.3 Still, there will always be more forum events. :)

Two British news items on this show, both of which leave me kind of sad. I wish I could make it to BUCK :( and it’s a pity that TruffleShuffle only have the two designs available. Still, the second problem can at least be dealt with, since if enough people buy the currently available shirts, I’m sure they’ll put a wider selection up in future.11

With regards to the Livestream requests bit, I’m one of the guilty parties there… With regards to making them more interactive, that’s pretty much the entire reason I livestream; I love chatting as I work, and would relish the opportunity to do so with fellow Canterlot forumgoers, hence me giving out my Skype details in my livestream thread. Unfortunately no one’s taken me up on that yet, but I have had a couple of requests, which was more than I expected. Currently, I’m planning on doing it at least once a week, details here.12

Wait, Noctriix has Photoshop CS7?!? Are… are you a time traveller?13

Aaaand I just got to the bit with my shout-out. In answer to your question of what I’d like to be called, “Saucy” has grown on me a lot. Noctriix was the first person to call me that, and I hope to Eris he isn’t the last.14 I’m glad to hear that someone other than me likes the footnotes; I was beginning to get paranoid that people hated them but were too polite to tell me.15

My initial reaction to whether Nemmy16 should change his username was no, but his arguments won me over. It makes a lot of sense to have all your online personas have the same name.17 I myself am pretty consistent in that respect, I either use BrainedBySaucepans or MisterDunn.18

Dear Eris, that muffin sounds heavenly…

One suggestion I would make for future shows; I listen to a lot of podcasts, and I mainly do so when I'm on the move. As such I would highly recommend making an audio-only version available to download. Also, I'd love to see the featured artist getting a bigger share of the screen, as it is the main visual element of the show. Perhaps some slow pans across each piece would give your YouTube viewers a chance to see some of the details of the stuff you showcase.

--------

1 The fact that he was the one who gave me a shout-out by no means figures into my endorsement of him.

2 He's still languishing in the limbo of the "Applications" forum as I type this, as it seems the RP helpers have a lot on their plate. I certainly can't fault them for that since they seem to have upwards of fifty finalised applications to deal with, not to mention the works in progress, which I expect also need the occasional portion of their attention. Still, while I wait in this self-imposed purgatory, I'd really appreciate it if people could take a look at my application and give me some feedback, just so when the Helpers do get around to it the approval process can be as smooth and painless as possible. Here's a link to my application, in case you are interested: http://www.canterlot.com/topic/10903-professor-ashen-smirk-final/

3 Happily, the natural balance of pessimism was restored by the closing ceremony, which, while not actually bad by any means, failed to match the excitement Danny Boyle's opening ceremony set up.4

4 Since this is probably the only time I have a chance to air my feelings about the closing ceremony without it seeming massively out of context,5 here goes:6 Compared to Danny Boyle's patriotic opus, the closing ceremony was severely lacking in terms of cohesive message, artistic risks and, perhaps most damningly, any sense of fun. Instead we were left with a vaguely self-important feeling artistic mess. Huw Edwards, one of the BBC commentators, at one point noted that this had a far less regimented feeling to the opening ceremony, and my thoughts were; is that necessarily a point in its favour? The opening ceremony was regimented simply because everything about it was intended to convey a point. It had symbolism and a cohesive non-verbal narrative, whereas the closing ceremony had Russell Brand, and featured Fatboy Slim in a giant inflatable octopus.8

The point that really hammered the differences home to me was when the iconic opening to Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody was played, only to suddenly cut off in favour of John Lennon's Imagine. The opening ceremony made me excited to hear Dizzee Rascal. The closing ceremony made Lennon seem disappointing. Then you consider the fact that the closing ceremony was specifically designed as a showcase of British music,9 and yet the music on display was almost entirely from at least ten years ago, with no reference to London's current music scene.10 Danny Boyle's piece did a far better job of showcasing British music, and that was by no means its only goal.

Still, enough of that for now...

5 Relatively speaking. It's still pretty out of the blue here, considering this is supposed to be a comment about the podcast...

6 This is why I do these footnote thingies; it gives me a chance to speak at great length about topics with no relation to the actual discussion without it taking up massive amounts of space.7 As such, please skip this if you don't care.

7 At least until you hit the "Show Spoilers" button...

8 With only six legs, perhaps making it a sextopus?

9 Which makes the fact that they repeated certain songs during the parade of athletes baffling? We could have fitted in an Iron Maiden song, or some Elgar, or even both, into that gap, rather than songs we'd heard only 15 minutes before.

10 Unlike the opening ceremony with it's aforementioned showcase of Dizzee Rascal and the thriving Grime genre.

11 Thank Eris for capitalism :)

12 Hooray for shameless self-promotion!

13 Being a Time Lord would explain your sense of sartorial propriety…

14 Although I could also get used to Sauce-Boss… I’m spoiled for choice!

15 Then I remember that this is the internet, a realm where politeness is viewed as a quaint anachronism.

16 Couldn’t resist…

17 Unless you value your privacy, or have some reason to keep your online activities a secret… Wait, Nemmy, are you secretly a super-spy? Because if you are that’s a big argument in favour of not changing your name. Unless you are but want to do it anyway so nobody will suspect you… It’s the perfect cover!

18 Which makes me ridiculously easy to track, and also gives away my real last name. It’s be pretty easy to find out everything about me with just those two handles, as a matter of fact. You see, unlike NemesisPon3 (Code Name: Mecha Shockwave) I am not an elite secret agent.19

19 If I say it enough, that will either make it true or draw the attention of some real spies. They may even decide to start using your identity when doing their secret spy stuff! Then you’ll be a target for hostile foreign governments! Haven’t you always wanted to die for your country? No? Tough luck.

• Like 1

Saucy: three things:

1: I MEANT Cs5 O_O

2: "Being a Time Lord would explain your sense of sartorial propriety…" Perhaps i am a living version of Nazdormu, (Warcraft, anyone?) but what in the name of Tartarus does "Sartorial propiety" mean?

3: I actually had you listed as a shoutout before I even realized you had any intention of WANTING one :D

2: "Being a Time Lord would explain your sense of sartorial propriety…" Perhaps i am a living version of Nazdormu, (Warcraft, anyone?) but what in the name of Tartarus does "Sartorial propiety" mean?

Sartorial: Adjective: Of or relating to tailoring, clothes, or style of dress: "sartorial elegance".

Propriety: Noun: 1. The state or quality of conforming to conventionally accepted standards of behavior or morals.

2. The details or rules of behavior considered correct: "she's a great one for the proprieties".

I consider myself to have a highly developed sense of sartorial propriety, considering myself underdressed in anything less than a three piece suit with a cravat and some form of hat. Usually a topper or my faithful black leather Australian bush hat. True story.

(Please forgive me for foregoing footnotes in this post, but I'm writing it on my phone, which makes the text editor unbearable at the best of times.)

One suggestion I would make for future shows; I listen to a lot of podcasts, and I mainly do so when I'm on the move. As such I would highly recommend making an audio-only version available to download. Also, I'd love to see the featured artist getting a bigger share of the screen, as it is the main visual element of the show. Perhaps some slow pans across each piece would give your YouTube viewers a chance to see some of the details of the stuff you showcase.

You make a very valid point, dear sir!

I'll be sure to upload an episode both to Youtube and soundcloud. Is that okay?

As always, your feedback is very much appreciated, Saucy. ;)

You make a very valid point, dear sir!

I'll be sure to upload an episode both to Youtube and soundcloud. Is that okay?

As always, your feedback is very much appreciated, Saucy. ;-)

Sounds great to me. I look forward to being able to keep up with Canterlot goings on while out and about, make sure you make them available for download (I have no idea how soundcloud works, but I assume there's an option for that somewhere). Also it's nice to hear that my words here are actually appreciated, I've been feeling kind of down today, since a member of staff asked me to stop using footnotes in posts. Apparently a lot of people have been finding it annoying, so I agreed to stop. :sad:

In happier news, about ten minutes after Tenkan wished me luck in a job interview, I got a phone call telling me I'd got the job (I am now an apprentice Administrative Assistant). Would you be okay with being my official good luck charm? The position involves me informing you whenever an important or exciting opportunity comes up, and then you wishing me luck with it. The pay would be lousy, but the hours are good!

• Like 1

Soo... question: Will you ever put this Podcast on iTunes? Because that would make following it a lot easier, since I listen to that kind of stuff almost exclusively when on the go.

Uploading on iTunes is quite challenging. I've never done it before, and I'm quite confused as to how it's done without spending money on some sort of special account. I'd love to make it easier for everyone to listen to, but for now I'm making due with soundcloud. Is there any other program I could use other than iTunes that is capable of downloading to mobile devices?

Uploading on iTunes is quite challenging. I've never done it before, and I'm quite confused as to how it's done without spending money on some sort of special account. I'd love to make it easier for everyone to listen to, but for now I'm making due with soundcloud. Is there any other program I could use other than iTunes that is capable of downloading to mobile devices?

Well, you do need to host the podcast somewhere, and make an RSS feed, then you can send it in for review. I don't quite know what you mean with "spending money on an account", though. As far as I know, There are Android apps, too that allow to read out the podcasts from an RSS feed, so maybe that would be interesting to do anyway. XD

I'm by no stretch of the imagination an expert, though. It's what I found by googling it. ^^;

Well, you do need to host the podcast somewhere, and make an RSS feed, then you can send it in for review. I don't quite know what you mean with "spending money on an account", though. As far as I know, There are Android apps, too that allow to read out the podcasts from an RSS feed, so maybe that would be interesting to do anyway. XD

I'm by no stretch of the imagination an expert, though. It's what I found by googling it. ^^;

Ah, I see. Thanks for the intel, Davroth. ;)

I should look into it more and hopefully get something started.