Possible New FiM Writer

The huge amount of children's programming on there worries me in terms that we won't get as "mature"-themed episodes from her.

And the fact that she was on "Bebe's Kids" worries me in the quality department...

...but hey, can't speak for it until we see her episodes.

What I'm really intrigued about is that if she is indeed on the show, that leads to a possibility that another writer may have left during the S2-S3 break...

^ Your dreams, my nightmares.

Have we ever seen 'mature' themes from this show?

Ehhhh, "mature" is a bad word, perhaps. I like to think the show isn't JUST aimed for little kids at this point, and it seems that Bronies hold he standard a bit higher than other "children's programming", which, as my friend Hayden has pointed out, has turned the demographic that Studio B aims for from little kids to us older audience, while appealing to little kids still.

It's confusing, but the best way I can say it is that they'll have to get her into the writing style that the current staff has acquired, in which it includes shoutouts and general humor that we can get into.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that Powell's past work, which includes all VERY juvenile shows is what worries me. I'm sure I have nothing to worry about, though.

Amusing a group of writers is called a "stable" in the context of a TV show.

Is there any way to know which writers are currently active in the stable, and which have left? And which might have had a script bought from them, but have never been in the stable?

From what I can tell, there has never been a stable/a writing group that works together. Each writer works alone for the most part with those Up On High being the only other ones who help out in any meaningful way.

I can understand the fear with a new writer coming on board with a resume of shows aimed at young children. Merriwether Williams did not impress me with her debut as a FiM writer (Mare Do Well):

zTgEJ.jpg

We can only wait and see, then decide!

• Like 2

^I LOVE that comic!

I actually had MORE faith in Merriweather, considering her resume is MUCH more aimed to our tastes, as she had written for shows like Spongebob, Camp Lazlo (Ehhhh...) and Adventure Time. If anything, "Mare Do-Well" was a considerable disappointment for me...

Hmmm..... I'll wait to actually watch a FiM episode written by Powell first before passing any judgement. She may have only worked on childrens' shows so far, but for all we know, she just might be a perfect fit for FiM. We'll just have to wait and see. :)

I don't know about themes, but the style of the show I would consider more "mature" than a lot of other shows. Especially ones targeted at kids.

A lot of the humor is subtle and nuanced, with a lot going on in subtext. This beats the "beat-you-over-the-head" style a lot of shows use.

There are a ton of little things going on in the background that add to the flavor of the story. For me little things like Twilight going "Please tell me she's not," when Pinkie Pie started singing "Giggle at the Ghostie" add a ton to the show that you don't always see in kid's shows.

Definitely nothing eluding to anything mature around here!

But really...I think the show is designed for everyone to enjoy, in which it takes a special touch from a writer to hit all of those bases in a resonant way that is respectful to the characters we've come to love. If your resumé says "I've written for no other audience except very young children," of course it's a concern!

But really...I think the show is designed for everyone to enjoy, in which it takes a special touch from a writer to hit all of those bases in a resonant way that is respectful to the characters we've come to love. If your resumé says "I've written for no other audience except very young children," of course it's a concern!

You can get writing credits for things other than writing an entire episode. You get MORE money for writing the whole thing, but her strong ideas could be finished up by a staff writer for instance. Furthermore, some staff writers don't write entire episodes either! If you have LOTS of strong ideas, it could be cheaper to hire you as a staff writer than to buy each of your good ideas individually.

I can't say that such a lack of experience would bother me given the track record of the show in general. We shall see...

^ Your dreams, my nightmares.

Well, there are small tid-bits in the show that when an older audience watches it, they would get the reference, and laugh while the kids are like... "huh? I don't get it."

Same thing in lots of other kids shows. Which is probably one of the reasons why this show appeals to just as many older generation fans as kid fans.