Season 1 (not?) coming to DVD

A mod can close this if there is already a thread for it. I searched but I didn't find anything on this.

Hopefully I'm not behind the times on this but, (or hopefully I am)

Hasbro has said that they do not have plans to release the season on DVD/Bluray. This is rather unfortunate. (for me and many others) I'm not a fan of iTunes and it's kind of silly to me that it's the only legit way to get a copy of this show.

I'll try to find where I found this out again and link it here, unless someone beats me to it.

Anyway, I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this.

On a side note, how much help are petitions for things like this? For example: http://www.change.org/petitions/we-want ... dvd-please

If these things can encourage them to release a physical copy, then it would be awesome if more people signed things like this.

I suspect for whatever reason, their marketing department is telling them that it isn't worth the cost, and unfortunately, they really don't count the fandom outside their target demographic. It doesn't hurt to sign the petition but very likely it would be ignored unless they believe there is such an overwhelmingly huge demand for the DVD/Blu Ray as to make a real profit for their efforts.

hi hi

I've only once seen a company say: "That will never happen," in regards to a DVD request, and that was probably only because it was an old movie that they probably didn't have a master copy of anymore. But I can understand some executive's hesitance to wade into waters unknown.

A mod can close this if there is already a thread for it. I searched but I didn't find anything on this.

Hopefully I'm not behind the times on this but, (or hopefully I am)

Hasbro has said that they do not have plans to release the season on DVD/Bluray. This is rather unfortunate. (for me and many others) I'm not a fan of iTunes and it's kind of silly to me that it's the only legit way to get a copy of this show.

I'll try to find where I found this out again and link it here, unless someone beats me to it.

Anyway, I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this.

On a side note, how much help are petitions for things like this? For example: http://www.change.org/petitions/we-want ... dvd-please

If these things can encourage them to release a physical copy, then it would be awesome if more people signed things like this.

Actually, the person who operated the MLP Twitter account said "stay tuned" in regards to DVD/Blu-Ray of season 1.

And I despise iTunes with a passion because that's the only way you can download music, movies, and TV shows nowadays. <.<

No it isn't :)

And I despise iTunes with a passion because that's the only way you can download music, movies, and TV shows nowadays. <.<

*coughlegallycough* <_<

regarding the petition.

on november last year a gamers' webpage (cant remember which one exactly) rallied a "twitter rush", for the sake of getting namco to start again the localization/release of the "Tales of" games for this part of the world, the message was something like

"@NamcoBandai I would buy #TalesOf games for PS3."

in february this year namco announced Tales of Graces f for the ps3, date is still TBA but the release is a reality, twitter is a better tool for getting someone's attention that any of those shady petition sites. worked with namco, might work with hasbro

*coughlegallycough* <_<

regarding the petition.

on november last year a gamers' webpage (cant remember which one exactly) rallied a "twitter rush", for the sake of getting namco to start again the localization/release of the "Tales of" games for this part of the world, the message was something like

"@NamcoBandai I would buy #TalesOf games for PS3."

in february this year namco announced Tales of Graces f for the ps3, date is still TBA but the release is a reality, twitter is a better tool for getting someone's attention that any of those shady petition sites. worked with namco, might work with hasbro

Yes, Twitter I have seen is a great way to contact people, even ones who are associated with big names or who are semi-famous. While an E-Mail is likely to get lost, sent to spam, or just not replied to, Twitter seems to be a place to be able to get answers, and influence people.

regarding petitions, I dont think I've ever seen a petition work outside of government. I always thought a good petition against littering or smoking sections in restaurants is good way to get the attention of those in charge. But a petition to a toy company to release DVDs of a TV show just sounds more like an interesting internet article.

*coughlegallycough* <_<

Wasn't referring to illegal means... Amazon.com has their own mp3 store and a separate store for downloadable TV shows... plus other sites are out there as well.

• 1 month later...
They aren't going to release it to DVD if 90% of viewers pirated it anyway, are they?

We've all seen the entire season, but we're willing to buy them anyway to show support. I'm hoping a lot people follow through with that.

Anyway, it's good news to see this is becoming more of a possibility.

I would buy them from iTunes because I don't watch them on the tv. Although a DVD release would be great, I think their way of thinking is that if everyone has watched them on YouTube or pirated them, why would they release them? If we show that we want to support them by buying them, they might give us a chance. Spam @HubTVNetwork on Twitter ponies!

Well, as we've seen, Hasbro tends to care about the kid part of the fanbase. Hence, pink Celestia.
The toys most likely would have been finalized long before the show even aired, let alone gained the huge brony following. As Equestria Girls and the rise of Derpy both show, they're really taking to the older fanbase. So...yeah.

Well, as we've seen, Hasbro tends to care about the kid part of the fanbase. Hence, pink Celestia.
The toys most likely would have been finalized long before the show even aired, let alone gained the huge brony following. As Equestria Girls and the rise of Derpy both show, they're really taking to the older fanbase. So...yeah.

Equestria Girls was from The Hub, not Hasbro themselves. The Hub isn't in charge of toys. So while part of the Hasbro company/whatever may recognize us... In the end, the products are still being made by someone else. Not the animators, not Lauren Faust, not Daniel Ingram, not even The Hub. So we are recognized, yes...but as far as we've seen, not by the people that make toys and other products, which is Hasbro themselves. The 'top dog' so to speak.

hi hi

From Hasbro's point of view, marketing to young girls is a known equation, they can count on having a return on their investment. However, no matter how big or vocal the older fans may be, they're still an unknown equation, and thus something of a financial risk.

Personally I think if Hasbro released DVDs, they'd sell reasonably well. In my experience, plenty of people who view things online still end up buying hard copies if they like what they see.