A Ponyville Wedding: It is time (Invite-Open)

IceStorm

It wasn't long before Luna saw somepony else she knew, other than the bride. A familiar acquaintance appeared, trotting through the sea of guests, most of which were still trying to make unnoticeable glances at Luna, but more often than not allowing their eyes to linger and stare. If they were going to stare, the least they could do was come over and speak with her for a few moments. Even if Luna didn't want to take away from Ice Storm's special day, the wedding had not yet begun and ponies were still free to socialize.

Luna smiled at Moon Dancer, but was still preoccupied with Aloe for the time being. [colour=#000080]”Right... a princess showing up to a wedding of somepony who isn't a noble or royalty, much less such an event outside of Canterlot, isn't exactly normal.”[/colour] The princess replied to the pink Earth pony. Normal or not, Ice Storm was her friend, and she'd told her she'd make the wedding if it was possible. It didn't matter what anypony else here—or even the press, if they showed up—might think. This day was for Ice Storm and her mate, and Luna was going to support the pair.

2wmm3ux.jpg

[colour=#cc0033]“Awww, don’t say that,”[/colour] Moondancer jokingly whined when Lore Weaver told her that he didn’t need to be thanked any further; [colour=#cc0033]“That’s crazy talk! It might be today... it might be tomorrow... or maybe even next month. When you least suspect it Lore..... I’ll find out how to thank you yet again, tehehe.”[/colour] The young mare might not possess any real dramatic flair, but she found it fun to keep her friends on the tips of their hooves every so often. And perhaps one day, Dancer would have a better idea on how to express her gratitude to Lore.

Taking a moment to flash Princess Luna a return smile, Moondancer tilted her head when her stallion talking companion asked if they could sit together during the ceremony. The mare wondered if this meant that he really knew nopony else here other than the bride. If so, surely this was a case for Dancer; problem-solving extraordinaire! [colour=#cc0033]“Well, I really didn’t come with anypony,”[/colour] exclaimed the blushing white unicorn; [colour=#cc0033]“So yeah, I’d definitely sit with you!”[/colour] This quite wasn’t the way Dancer intended to give back to Mr. Weaver, but it was a start at the very least.....

"Hmmph. Sounds like Mister Dunder is being stupid! He should be more considerate, running off with some other mare like that. It just isn't right!" Hopesong protested, stomping her little hoof.

"She must be really brave to come here and face this though. I don't think most mares up against that kinda thing would," the filly said, shaking her head. She gave a long sigh.

"Still... make sure you take care of her," she said her tone becoming softer and more mature. "Adults need somepony they can rely on to keep them smiling when they get all sad and lonely."

"Even before they were dating, Fire and Dunder were really good friends.", The filly whispered as she watched her older sister from where she stood, "Like 'besties'. They even saved each other's lives on more than a few occasions. So I guess Fire would never forgive herself if she was not at least in some part of what I've been told is one of the greatest moments a pony could have. Even if it's sort of awkward.", she cringed as the older mare made a slight mess out of her sandwich while getting pesto on her snout. Wind waved at her sister and pointed at her own snout. Thankfully the solider was able to quickly catch her sister's meaning and was able to clean off the offending food bits.

"Well, on a positive note, she did manage to get most of the food into her mouth this time. It's hard to eat properly when one's a Nervous-Nelly."

As he made his way to Fire, now pondering which of the tasty sandwiches. Unicorn tapped mare shoulder to get her attention and whispered to her ear. "Fire...did you ever heard about Midnight Brand? The one called 'Midnight the Dreaded'? Well...I believe she is one of the guests."

The red coated mare was in the middle of wiping up her pesto'ed face as the unicorn approached her, "Er? Midnight The Dreaded?", she glanced over at Hopesong's mother, "Actually, I believe my father had told me something about her many years ago. She lost a member of her unit while on patrol or on a mission. Some said she was very close to the solider and his loss broke her spirit causing her to leave the R.E.A. for good. At least that's what I remember what my father said. I'm sure he was trying to teach me some 'life lesson', and at the time, I was a rather rude little teenager and probably didn't pay too much attention to his words." She watched as the 'Princess Of Dreams' approached and bowed as she neared, "Pleasant day, your Highness.", she added as the Alicorn made her way through the crowd.

Once the Princess was gone, the mare added, "I did tell you what happened when I was standing guard for Princess Luna, right? With Dunder nearly getting hauled off to the dungeon? Might not be the best time to tell you about it, but if I haven't told you the story, I will later. After the wedding, and hopefully somewhere private.", she lowered her eyes and smiled.

[colour=#0000FF]"Less than five minutes now... Has anyone seen the priest? I would have thought he'd be waiting for us, unless he's waiting for us to walk first... but that seems kind of odd..."[/colour]

Rarity had to admit that this was an odd concern. She had heard of sad cases of either the bride or groom getting cold hooves and leaving the other standing at the altar, but it didn't seem all to common for of the vital parties the priest of all ponies to be the one who didn't show. Truly it would be a shame if such a thing held up the wedding. Hopefully he would show and Ice and her stallion would be allowed to have a pleasant wedding. If he didn't though... what then? Rarity grimaced at the thought as she considered possible recourse. Glancing outward, she gave a laugh, a silly idea hitting her.

"Well, if he doesn't show... I think your humble Ponyville wedding just might have the all too unique blessing of at least one certain guest who would be more than qualified to take his place," Rarity said with a soft laugh, having remembered just who was on the guest list of this particular wedding. "Or at least I would assume that the power to officiate such a ceremony would be the right of one of Equestria's cherished sovereign diarchs."

It was a whimsical idea to rely on a Princess for such a thing, but it could maybe work. Rarity had to wonder if Luna would go for it. Really the priest arriving was still the safest plan... if he arrived of course. "Still, let's hope it doesn't need come to that," she said through a sigh.

---

[colour=#000000]Midnight caught the stare of a passing stallion. It was a piercing stare, the kind that told her that he knew who she was. She sighed deeply, feeling out of place again. She could hear murmuring from this stallion and a mare he chose to speak to. Though she couldn't hear the words themselves as they were whispered, she knew the sorts of things most likely being said. The squadron she had commanded had become rather famous in her long ago heyday for its strength and efficiency. Part of it was her style of command. She ended up developing a reputation as a very strict, hard-lined leader, which of course would come with silly little epithets being attached to her name. [/colour]

[colour=#000000]It was Wind Chaser, goofing around as he always did who popularized the moniker of "Midnight the Dreaded", even as Midnight had protested it. It had just been a silly name attributed to her in jest, but when one pony is lost and the responsible party vanishes into obscurity in the aftermath, the little things apparently found a way to stick as the uninvolved looked back and started to romanticize the situation. Now apparently the tale of Midnight the Dreaded was fodder for her generation to pass on to the next and beyond. It was unsettling really, but nothing she could do anything about. She could attempt to distance herself from the past, but there was no changing anything that happened. No, all she could do here was look forward and do her best to support her friend.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]That in mind, she nodded toward Dunder. She didn't pretend to know all that he had going on in his life. Aside from their one shared journey, she didn't truly know him very well. She had been listening to him and Muggo' talk however, and had picked up enough to understand that his ambitions were being shifted some by his marriage. Dreams of service displaced by a desire for a somewhat more stable life. She offered a faint smile and looked toward Hopesong.[/colour]

[colour=#ccff33]"A school for martial arts...? I wonder if she would go for that kind of thing..."[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said thoughtfully, nodding as she did. Teaching Hopesong to fight was not high on her list of things to do, but it wasn't just about that. Martial arts was about self-discipline, something an often scattered and over-enthusiastic child like her could stand to learn. A means to protect herself would be a bonus.[/colour]

[colour=#ccff33]"Not knowing the full situation, it sounds like your choice is the prudent one, Dunder, as well as the difficult one,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said in a steady voice.[/colour] [colour=#ccff33]"Regardless, you have my best wishes in your endeavor."[/colour]

"Even before they were dating, Fire and Dunder were really good friends. Like 'besties'. They even saved each other's lives on more than a few occasions. So I guess Fire would never forgive herself if she was not at least in some part of what I've been told is one of the greatest moments a pony could have. Even if it's sort of awkward.",

[colour=#000000]Hope nodded as she listened to Wind describe the situation between her sister and Dunder. It sounded rather tricky and definitely unfortunate. She was sure it was a hard thing for the mare to have to bear.[/colour]

[colour=#ff6666]"Still... that really sucks!" [/colour][colour=#000000]Hopesong said harshly, stomping one of her little hooves. [/colour][colour=#ff6666]"If only there were a way to make everypony happy. Of course, they gotta make everything so difficult all the time."[/colour]

"Well, on a positive note, she did manage to get most of the food into her mouth this time. It's hard to eat properly when one's a Nervous-Nelly."

[colour=#000000]At this scene, Hopesong gave a spirited laugh. [/colour]

[colour=#000000]She shook her head and spoke through a sigh,[/colour] [colour=#ff6666]"She's just like my mum is sometimes. She gets so beaten up with worry over me that she gets totally silly with stuff."[/colour]

• 3 weeks later...

He looked back, seeing Midnight and Swift starting to talk, and deciding to leave the two alone. He looked at Muggo', "Yeah." He said, sounding significantly less happy, "I'm just wanting to get a different job on my own so I don't have to be on my restaurant's leash. And Icy still has a shop for ice cream, and it's doing well since fillies and colts from Ponyville come there all the time." He said, his eyes drifting off a little.

Muggo' nodded in understanding, tilting his hat back a little. "I dunno, b'y. Ya don't seem to be tied down much with the restaurant. Look at me, I run the busiest bar in Fillydelphia, an' got no problems goin' on all yer wacky adventures," he said with a laugh.

"Just do what makes ya happy, eh, b'y? Which, given why we're all here today...yer well on yer way to doin'." He grinned and hugged Dunder again, laughing happily. He had never expected to be at his wedding, let alone before Muggo's own.

"Ya done good, Dunder. All married an' mature an' stuff," he said with a warm smile. "Brings a tear to ol' Muggo's eye, it does."

• 3 weeks later...

Dunder sighed hard. He was sure he loved Ice Storm...but the more that they talked about it, he felt worse and worse inside. He could tell Fire was depressed, and he knew whose fault that was. And he was feeling even more down... he was sure the feeling would be gone when they got married, but now he wasn't sure.

He looked up and smiled at Muggo' briefly, at least his friends would always be there. He hugged Muggo' back, squeezing him with all his pegasus strength, "You are too kind, Muggo'... No matter what they say, I will still be glad to go on adventures with you."