The end of the world

kunio18

i take it you lot might about the end of the world that apparently is coming soon, 21st December 2012, i wonder whats going to happen, ive heard alot of rumors and prophecy that the ancient Mayan race have predicted a great purification of the planet, maybe something big is going to happen i dont know.,.?

its scary thought but just as interesting to see what is going to happen on that day, maybe probably nothing,

views and opinions please everypony, i choose not to look into it anymore because its kinda scaring me

I don't believe the world will end on December 21st. Something big will possibly happen, could be for better, or for worse, I don't know. To back me up, there is a lot of material in The Bible that explains a number of things that will occur before anything like "2012" happens. I don't know/can't remember all of them, but I know one thing, only God knows when the world will end. How would the Mayan race know when? How would they know better than the one who created them in the first place?

That's all I have to say, really.

EDIT: One other thing. We shouldn't fear change. Not as long as it is God making the change/s. Just trust. I'm sure we all don't share the same religion, but this is how I see it.

• Like 2

[colour=#333333]Another Great Conjunction coming up! Anything could happen! Whole WORLD might burn up! THE GREAT CONJUNCTION IS THE END OF THE WORLD! Or the beginning. End, begin, all the same. Big change. Sometimes good. Sometimes bad.[/colour]

Here is what I think in a nice 5 minute video:

Just for fun though... I'll be playing this at midnight:

Though I also like Linkhopper's idea. And if I can locate a decent ocarina by that time, I shall be joining Linkhopper in playing Oath to Order.

Scientist OUT! PEACE!

• Like 1

So, I forget where I saw this, but basically, if the Mayans are correct, the world ends 12/21/12, their calendar is different than the one we use. If we translate their calendar's date to ours, December 21st, 2012 has already passed.

Although, like I said, the source is debatable, so I'm not sure if that's true or not, but whether it is or isn't, I fully doubt anything is going to happen.

Apparently they found more calendars. Convenient cover.

I never believe 'end of the world' crackpots anymore. Every year it's another thing. If the world's gonna end, it'll end when it's good and ready xD

So, I forget where I saw this, but basically, if the Mayans are correct, the world ends 12/21/12, their calendar is different than the one we use. If we translate their calendar's date to ours, December 21st, 2012 has already passed.

Although, like I said, the source is debatable, so I'm not sure if that's true or not, but whether it is or isn't, I fully doubt anything is going to happen.

That is based on a false assumption that the Mayan's calendar was less accurate than ours due to lack of leap year. This is not so, as their calender was actually just as accurate than ours with leap years included. We made leap years to correct our own screw up in determining the length of the year. The conversion of dates to the Mayan Calender are actually accurate to the day.

Sufficed to say... this is basically Y2K using the Mayan Calender. I don't suspect it to be any worse than that.

The Mayan calendar ends.

It does not predict the end.

Difference!

No, it doesn't even do that... It just moves onto the next Baktun. It is literally like us saying that our calenders were ending on December 31st, 1999. Why? Because it was the new millennium. Silly to say the least. The Mayan Calendar will read on 12/21/2012 13.0.0.0.0 Yup. That is it. New Baktun for the Mayans. It would have been one heck of a celebration I'm sure! But not the end of the world. The last time this happened, when the Mayan Calender read 12.0.0.0.0 nothing happened (September 18th, 1618). Absolutely nothing. There is pretty much zero historical significance to the day to which 12.0.0.0.0 on the Mayan calender falls on. I didn't even know that was possible!

Oh and taken from the Randi Foundation's forum... the user LW also points this out...

[colour=#000000]The Maya's used the following time units:[/colour]

[colour=#000000]- Uinal (20 days)[/colour]

[colour=#000000]- Tun (360 days or 18 Uinals)[/colour]

[colour=#000000]- Katun (20 Tuns, about 20 years)[/colour]

[colour=#000000]- Baktun (20 Katuns, about 400 years)[/colour]

[colour=#000000]- Piktun (20 Baktuns, 8000 years)[/colour]

[colour=#000000]- Kalabtun (20 Piktuns, 160,000 years)[/colour]

[colour=#000000]- Kinchiltun (20 Kalabtuns, 3.2 million years)[/colour]

[colour=#000000]- Alautun (20 Kinchiltuns, 64 million years)[/colour]

[colour=#000000]- Hablatun (20 Alautun, 1.2 billion years)

[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Sufficed to say, they weren't running out of calendar anytime soon. Their calendar is not ending... (Though, if you want to be technical, their calendar already ended, since... Last I checked, there were no Mayans. No Mayans to use the calendar means no Mayan Calendar. So if the world would have ended with the end of their calender, it would have already ended.) Calendars don't just end. They are designed to keep count of periods of time. Our calendar system won't end because we'll just keep adding years until we fall from the face of the earth into oblivion. [/colour]

"From the calm morning, the end will come

When of the dancing horse

the number of circles will be 9."

~Nostradamus

Gangnam Style, a video who's main dance is riding a horse... is at 800,000,000 views... And by the 21st it will reach 1,000,000,000 views... Nine 0's...

Psy will bring the end of humanity

• Like 1

So I think its fairly obvious at this point to say that we're all safe.

That said, if the world did go, not saying that it would, at this point I think it would be a cumulative apocalypse. Cthulhu would rise from his underwater slumber, Godzilla would ravage Japan, global warming would flood the world as penguins with hairdryers melted the ice caps, both the Mayan and Aztec gods would come forth to wage war against the non believers, the wonder twins would do whatever they very well felt like doing, about a half a dozen evil scientists would create so many technological horrors so quickly both Hal9000, the Terminator army, and that evil robot from Wall-e would be created, and the world would be ruled by the 28 horsemen (four for each continent).

Oh, and let's not forget the thermonuclear war resulting from Laputa floating over Atlantis as it once again rose from the depths in an attempt to take world as it once had ruled. Of course, Laputa had also ruled the world for a period of time, so that would spark the conflict, and because of the movie rights involved, Disney would side with the Atlanteans while studio Ghibli (already on Laputa - remember they had to flee from Godzilla) would take this opportunity to get rid of the competition.

• Like 1

Here is what I think in a nice 5 minute video:

Just for fun though... I'll be playing this at midnight:

Though I also like Linkhopper's idea. And if I can locate a decent ocarina by that time, I shall be joining Linkhopper in playing Oath to Order.

Scientist OUT! PEACE!

The last time an end of the world theory went going (May of last year I think) I was filming a wedding. The DJ played that song and it was glorious.

My wall calendar ends on December 31.

By this same logic, that must be another end of the world.

Egads man! You're right! We must prepare for the double Apocalypse!

Unless... maybe the world ends on December 21... and the 31 is the end of the end of the world... so everything just kind of ceases to exist for ten days before coming back.

Depending on how organisation works out I will be either attending an 'End of the World Party' or if enough of us want to nerd out and not attend parties, starting a 'new magic' game of Shadowrun set just after the Awakening (i.e. shortly after 21 Dec 2012),

In short I don't think the world will end but it is as good a date as any to get something done!

I always laughed at this idea because I had a certain vision in front of my eyes.

Mayans: We're predicting time! We're predicting time! We're writing our calendar! We've made it until 21st of December 2012 (in our calendar of course)

Suddenly!: Hernán Cortés

Mayans: We're no longer predicting time! We didn't survive long enough to predict more!