Xbox creators in hot water....

If what they've said about Always-On DRM being enabled for next gen consoles is true, along with the issues about shared/used games, then I've pretty much given up on the Next Gen era.

I've never really cared about the Xbox scene, my eyes have always been on the Sony/Nintendo consoles.

I just hope the rumors of Sony following Microsoft's footsteps for Always-On DRM is false :(

I might not bother with the next-gen. I'm slowly moving off consoles since Steam has me covered for pretty much any game. It really shows a lack of respect and research. Diablo 3 and Sim city both proved that the always online thing is a bad idea, so this is all about revenue building.

They're not doing it, thankfully. Microsoft's still the only one thinking about doing it.

Oh thank goodness, my reasoning to burn $500+ in the future for a console has been restored!

I'm doing it for Kojima and the exclusives dang it, don't look at me like i'm crazy! :mad:

Online DRM is nothing new, it's just getting more attention because it's more common -- and we have disasters like SimCity. My main problem with it is that it punishes legitimate supporters of the game, because people that want to pirate it will find a way to do so anyway. The best way to deal with it is not support it, though that, too, is going to become harder as our culture becomes increasingly plugged in.

Wrong, they're still thinking about that. :roll:

Waagh! I don't buy alot of used games...ESPECIALLY when they're usually only 5 bucks cheaper than the new ones...But if I wanted to borrow a game from someone just to try it out..And couldn't because of a lock...I would not be one happy pony.

I'd like to say that they'll never go through with locking new games to X console/user, considering that it'd most likely affect their sales/live subscriptions, but Microsoft has done some really stupid things in the past.

Part of me wants it to happen though 'cause I'd like to believe it'd destroy Gamestop though. On the other hand, if this really did affect Gamestop to the point where they'd have to close down, I'd feel really bad for all the employees.

We shall see what the tides of time shall bring us.

Well if you didn't hear, Adam Orth actually got fired for making those posts.

http://kotaku.com/microsofts-adam-orth-the-always-on-tweeter-no-long-472244698?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Also, the 720 will not have always online as a means of DRM; you can still play your games even if your internet goes out.

http://www.vgleaks.com/microsoft-xbox-roadmap-2013/

It is somewhere in the "Microsoft explains its xbox brand" section.

Oh yeah I remember hearing about this. I've been so busy with school the past 4 years that I have barely had any time to play the latest gen system. ( I think the last game I picked up for Xbox 360 was Portal 1 and I think Bioshock though I do know about Portal 2 and a couple others) Still DRM does sound like a bad idea because even though I get fairly good internet at home I have to split it with 3 other people one being my father who needs it for work since his office is at home so a gaming system eating up bandwidth all the time seems like a bad idea. Also I play single player exclusively because the few times I tried online playing I couldn't stand the community so I figured I would rather play by myself than others. So being forced to go online just to play a single player game seems kinda dumb. (But I also think DLC is kinda dumb too if all it gives you is an extra weapon or character that should already be on the game.)

• 3 weeks later...

Well if you didn't hear, Adam Orth actually got fired for making those posts.

http://kotaku.com/mi...dium=Socialflow

I'm talking a bit off-topic, but it says he left the company, most likely resignation, not because he was fired.

Just watch, five years from now the gaming industry will be nothing but Steam and indie studios.

Okay, and EA making war games every 10 months.

The only EA "war game" I know of is the Battlefield series. I'll go with a year.

Well, at least they didn't go forward to the anti-used game measures they were planning on doing..Right? Where you could only use one game on one system. :razz:

If they do that, I'm quitting on game consoles. It not only wastes money, but it also wastes consoles that you can use only for a game or a series. If it was that way, I would have to use a whole storage closet to collect all these consoles.

This topic of Always-on sounds like something that will be short lived. If they do travel down this road it's not just gonna hurt the gamers. it'll hurt that designers. If we can't play the game do they really expect us to buy it? Where will the funding for new games come if we don't buy their product? Microsfts Pocket? pfff. how long will that last.

You can't tell me they're "just not making enough" becasue of the pirating. Look at all the amazing next gen games that have come out. Tech is progressing life is going on. They're just mad because they're not making what they want to make. They still have the biggest piece of the pie but they want it all.

As for anti used games. it's just a ploy to control the market further and cut out the middle man. the ma and pa Pawn shops that buy and sell games for a profit. If they go with that. I'm with Pizza. I'm completely out. All my games are normally used ones.

I doubt it'll ever come to pass considered giant companies like Gamestop, and all the game rental companies. thrive on this. It would litterally KILL most of the gaming industry around the world.

(Sorry if This sounds like a rant. My words don't always comeout like they sound in my head. xD )

I'm talking a bit off-topic, but it says he left the company, most likely resignation, not because he was fired.

Ohh, I guess that I missed that part.

You can't tell me they're "just not making enough" becasue of the pirating. Look at all the amazing next gen games that have come out. Tech is progressing life is going on. They're just mad because they're not making what they want to make. They still have the biggest piece of the pie but they want it all.

Piracy has been noted more to be an issue of convenience ( http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/38082/Valve_Piracy_Is_More_About_Convenience_Than_Price.php ).

Also, regarding the always online, I don't remember any next gen console using it.