Getting fired for being a Brony?!

SilverSwirl

Now I noticed on the CNN web page a story about a man getting fired for being a Brony on the grounds it made the coworkers uncomfortable. He mentioned it all of 3 times in a year and just before being fired he was teased and derided for it by his coworkers. The whole story hasn't been totally verified yet but the question remains, is it really practical to fire someone for what they like in a TV show? It's like firing someone over liking a particular sports team or activity!

EDIT: Link to story here: http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1041514

Seems it started as a Reddit rant post so this may not be true at all. Will keep track of this as it develops.

I think this means we can cry for humanities future. That is the stupidest reason i've heard someone getting fired. Liking a T.V show makes people feel unformfortable, so he gets fired as a result. I don't think enough can be said about how silly the boss is

I think i found it. I found a website where the thing was posted, but i'm not sure if i'm allowed to post a copy of the URL. But all you need to do is type in 'man loses job for being a brony' and click on the lurkersfaq website to find it

The CNN article has the whole account quoted verbatim with edits for strong language already. I can grab the link right now. Shadow, please refrain from double posting please.

That I can understand. Each situation is unique yet getting harangued about it just prior to being fired by coworkers after they bring up the subject is what really bothered me.

Well technically he wasn't fired because of any government protected reason so any legal action he takes against the company will be difficult to win. It's still a rotten reason to be fired though.

Well technically he wasn't fired because of any government protected reason so any legal action he takes against the company will be difficult to win. It's still a rotten reason to be fired though.

It would actually fall under firing due to stereotype, which is government protected.

And this is surprising?

A better thing to say is to get at the back of the complaint line, behind the black, hispanic, muslim, atheist, gay and transsexual, and anyone else who isn't white, straight, and christian, and doesn't fit "gender roles" (as garbage as it sounds).

(Edit after reading the article): All I had to see was the "From Reddit" part, and now I'm very skeptical. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if we was warping the story and leaving out stuff... The post is really one sided, so it's very plausable.

The thing that stood out to me in his story was the complimenting his boss's daughter on her pony shirt. True, he might have just seen ponies, a thing he likes, and tried to make conversation, but to literally anyone outside the interaction, it was a grown man telling a little girl he likes her clothing. No matter how you look at it, that is creepy.

I have no doubt that if he hadn't done that, he wouldn't have been fired.

The thing that stood out to me in his story was the complimenting his boss's daughter on her pony shirt. True, he might have just seen ponies, a thing he likes, and tried to make conversation, but to literally anyone outside the interaction, it was a grown man telling a little girl he likes her clothing. No matter how you look at it, that is creepy.

I have no doubt that if he hadn't done that, he wouldn't have been fired.

The story said that it wasn't that the boss was uneasy, but rather that it was the employees that were complaining of unease. If what you say is correct then it is firing under false pretense which is still illegal.

No matter how you cut it the guy was fired for reasons that are not legal to fire for unless he signed a document that said that employment could be terminated for any reason without warning. This is a possibility, some companies do that. However, usually it also means that there are no restrictions in quitting either (no need to give advanced notice).

The story said that it wasn't that the boss was uneasy, but rather that it was the employees that were complaining of unease. If what you say is correct then it is firing under false pretense which is still illegal.

No matter how you cut it the guy was fired for reasons that are not legal to fire for unless he signed a document that said that employment could be terminated for any reason without warning. This is a possibility, some companies do that. However, usually it also means that there are no restrictions in quitting either (no need to give advanced notice).

IIRC some states have "At Will" employment laws, which basically amounts to something along the lines of "You can fire an employee for whatever reason (or lack thereof) and without warning."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This makes me quite uncomfortable pursuing my first job. I'm worried enough about being able to hold one down from a general perspective; I'll be in serious trouble if I end up in a prejudicial place like this guy did.

Archived