Official Discussion Thread - S04E17 Somepony to Watch Over Me

First off, wow... just... wow... Took a while but we finally have a proper insane-AJ episode. The fact it was mixed with a CMC episode made it all the better! (and I really laughed hard at scootaloo first kept AB from alerting AJ by bursting into song then was the one who burst out and ruined the plan!) I was shocked though that AB kept so calm... I saw her getting more and more angry, I was expecting a repeat of SHS with AB getting raging mad and telling AJ she didnt need a sister anymore and running away. In a way, very, very glad she didnt blow up, and in the end this worked better since it didnt rehash an old plot.

Also, second wow... Flaming death swamp with a monster who SPECIFICALLY wanted to KILL AND EAT a pony?!?! We've had references to it before, but this was I believe the first time it was outright said! So much for the "Sugarbowl" equestria, (of course ghastly gorge was a nice early-on hint that the land it's 100% sunshine and rainbows (well unless a certain pony's passing overhead ;):20: )

and... yeah... electric fridge and wood stove... makes perfect sense... -_-*

another CMC episode so soon is too much.

Bite your tongue, you can NEVER have too many CMC episodes! :unsure::sniff::halo:

We all know the moral of this episode,

Yes, always carry fire-proof boots, a fold-up lion-tamers chair, and a chunk of ricotta when traveling equestria! *nod nod* :D

I'd contend that knowing what we know of their family history, it made perfect sense for Applejack to have a destabilizing influx of maternal feelings at the outset of Apple Bloom, whom she likely had to raise or play a very heavy role in helping from a somewhat early age herself, becoming a filly who no longer needed her.

Considering how AJ reacts to mention of her parents vs how AB reacts (yes it's *extremely* subtle, but AJ's eyes seem to turn faintly sad while AB's... well... dont...) I dont think AB remembers her parents at all... (at least that's my feelings on it)

A part of me was hoping somepony would have outsmarted the Chimera, maybe try a three heads but only one meal sort of trick to get the three heads arguing while they slip away.

Also, did anyone get the reference made with the Chimera?

I seriously was expecting AB to escape and AB (possibly with a montague battle with the monster) to reach the bayu and find AB had completed the delivery completely on her own. Though the way it turned out was still acceptable. (Would have love to see AB pull some trick out of her saddlebags --- but she forgot to pack them! THAT was her mistake, she wasn't prepared enough ;) )

And yeah, I grinned and laughed at the Junglebook Reference... both pleased and dissapointed that Kaa... I mean the chimera :D didnt use her obviously hypnotic eyes on AB... they could have made it even worse by AB forgetting to bring mirror-shades and getting hypnotized (or much softer with the monster _only_ wanting the pies and hypnotizing her to just run away)

Apple Bloom remembering her parents or not does not have any impact on how Applejack would react to Apple Bloom's maturing out of the proverbial nest.

I think if AJ knew AB didnt remember her parents, it would push AJ's maternal instincts even harder because she would know that she (AJ) was the closet thing that AB had to a mother.

This one is my favorite that I've watched out of this season's episodes. I especially loved from the chimera on. The chimera was actually a really great character, sassy and I liked the design. The best part... those flame resistant boots! Yeah AJ, rock em' girl! ;) 8.5/10

Archived