Official Discussion Thread - S04E17 Somepony to Watch Over Me

It is that time of the week again when we all huddle around our computers and televisions and watch adorable ponies do adorable pony things. In this week's episode, we get out first story focused around the rambunctious Apple filly, Applebloom! No doubt her little adorable partners in mischief will be front and center as well. What foal shenanigans will ensue this time? Find out more in just a few hours! Please discuss the episode, but remember to keep the spoilers in the spoilers bracket. Episode airs Saturday 10:30 AM EST on March 8th.

EW_promo_Apple_Bloom_dancing_S4E17.png

The best part is she is about to do the Harlem Shake!

:AJ:

Just watched the episode and...

It was INCREDIBLE! A lot to love about this one! AJ's doing the overprotective big sister on AB was fun to watch! Scootaloo blowing up the 'plan' was superb! And who realized that all monsters in Equestria were female? This episode was excellent from start to finish, and the 'aborted' song attempt was hilarious! This episode was a HUGE improvement over last week's offering! 9 out of 10 for this one! Great episode, not the BEST of S4, but it does rank high on my list!

3/10 just seemed to move super quick and over all not a good ep plus all the title dropping got old but the opening was really super cute though i'lll give it that

Now this is more like it. :D

Considering how little I cared for the previous episode, it wouldn't have taken much for me to say the following episode was a big step in the right direction. After seeing this one though, yeah, it was a huge step back on track. Not only is it much better, but it was just a really good, fun episode. Which kind of surprised me. Often times Apple Bloom episodes are a little dry for me. I kinda lump them in with Fluttershy and Spike episodes as what I least look forward to. This is easily the best Apple Bloom centric episode yet though. It was just a really fun ride.

It was a fun set up. I can buy Applejack reacting like this. Considering her family situation, she really probably did have to grow up taking care of her a lot. Faced with the prospect of Apple Bloom growing old enough to be on her own, she'd of course worry, especially since she's a chronic worrier, and at seeing any hint that Apple Bloom still needs to be coddled, she'd go hard in that direction. Of course, they made it a little silly what with the every five seconds thing, but I can't complain. Watching Applejack go completely insane with it was just fun.

Of course, what really stands out is the new locations and of course the new monster. Flaming death swamp? Yeah, didn't expect to be seeing that, but it was great. Equestria sure is a happy, magical land and not some place with multiple stretches of dangerous terrain that wants to kill you, isn't it? The town on the other side had a unique vibe too. It was fun. The chimera was also a surprise, but a cool one. I was surprised it talked. Manticore didn't, neither did Hydra. I suppose it's either that chimera are typically created via magic or for the presence of a goat head (considering goats appear to be intelligent in Equestria) that it can. Either way, it looked cool and was an amusing enough character. Then of course we had AJ arrive wearing her sexy boots to act all awesome and get the better of it. That was the best part probably. Makes me have to wonder what Big Mac was busy contending with on his ostensibly equally dangerous route.

Episode had a good amount of humor. Most of AJ's attempts to keep Apple Bloom safe were fun for how silly they were and Apple Bloom's perfect reactions to her. The song fake out was fun too. I also think the resolution was nice, and seemed to end with both sisters learning something. It was just a really fun, well paced exciting episode. Even more fun is that it came to us from a new writer, Scott Sonnerborn, who comes to us with a colorful resume. If this is his first episode, I greatly anticipate whatever other crazy ideas we might see. It was a lot of fun.

Loved it. Everyone always says they want an episode where AJ loses it? Well, AJ lost it the way that made sense for her character.It was funny and knowing what we know about the characters it made perfect sense. The action scene was great as well. Overall, this was a fantastic AJ episode, a fantastic Abby episode, and both Sweetie and Scoots has funny moments.

-Snip-

6/10. It was a good episode, but not the greatest. And it's not because I worship our grand overlord of many faces Fluttershy, but because the episode was predictable, and really, another CMC episode so soon is too much. Sure, the episode was great, and a dark, dank, and combustible swamp with a nasty looking chimera was introduced, but still, although it was fun to watch and say "never had to deal with that" (Was only child, now eldest), I couldn't relate to it much. Redeeming factors were seeing AJ in "superior protector panic mode" and a song actually being interrupted.

3.75 out of 5.

I didn't quite buy Applejack's helicopter parenting at first, since I thought she'd be less prone to it than other ponies. But I had fun with this episode, especially by the third act.

PS: Cajun ponies are a thing now?

Whew! It is that time of the weekend once again. Another episode has been put to air and with that, time for the usual post episode write up.

To sum up my tweet from this morning:

"Wow! The first of the sister themed episodes and it was.....great! One down, two to go."

Now before I get into how I felt about the episode in general, I would like to say off the record that this episode covered an important topic that is close to me. The topic in question that was covered in this episode is siblings and family and how they work together and the differences they have.

I wasn't kind to my siblings when I was younger and this episode had me having to turn the volume down on my headphones at times due to the past memories, but it was nice to see the first of three episodes based around this theme being featured this season.

Anyway onto the episode itself and as always, the thoughts of the episode are spoilered below:

This episode was a great one to watch despite my PTSD wanting to flare up due to the events mentioned above. It has been a while since Apple Bloom was given an episode ever since Family Appreciation Day back in season two and the new writer Scott Sonneborn did a great job on his first time out and really told the story well.

The idea of Apple Bloom gaining independence and looking after the farm on her own reflected my real world struggles with my family and how I fought tooth and nail to become independent myself during my younger years. They really covered the issue down to a fine point, even going as far as Apple Bloom showcasing what she could do when her chores were finished.

Applejack in this episode was....well you get the picture and I'll let these tweets sum it up:

"Oh for goodness sakes Applejack! Stop being overprotective! Leave Apple Bloom be!"

"What happened to the "honest" traits Applejack? I thought after 30 years that you would learn a thing or two about family!"

Last but not least, the Cutie Mark Crusaders added for some cute and memorable moments in this episode, mainly Sweetie Belle sleeping (Sleepy Belle) and the song number coming to a grinding halt by Scootaloo made for both many Aww and humorous moments.

Apart from that, there isn't much else to cover this week. Overall the episode was a great one to watch and being the first of three sibling themed episodes this season, this has set the stage to cover the issue as a whole.

I also have written my full thoughts on the episode itself on my blog, which can be viewed here.

I really enjoyed this one! It was fun, made sense for the characters, and had a good resolution. I really enjoyed the chimera.

Apple Bloom is my favorite CMC. I love her character design as a whole, and it was nice to see her get some proper screen time. This episode is an easy 9/10.

This must be the only CMC episode in which I burst out laughing every few minutes. Omg, I called it on so many points. Helmet? Check. (double win for double helmets) Everything wrapped in plastic/bubble wrap? Check. Pointy objects covered with something soft? Check. Crib instead of bed? Check. I was ready for Applejack to put Applebloom in a high chair, make her wear a diaper and elbowpads and the helmet and feed her baby food! This was hilarious! And I was not surprised to see Applejack over-worry about AppleBloom being alone. Overreacted yes, but not at all surprising to me. A very fun episode, and bayou ponies? I wanna see more.

While I loved the fire swamp, they missed such a great opportunity to pay homage to The Princess Bride with some rodents of unusual size. The chimera was neat (didn't care for it talking, but that's just me), but not seeing ROUS's as canon is disappointing.

We all know the moral of this episode,

We can't blame AJ for being overprotective, without their parents, life is much harder to handle. AJ has the right to worry too when things tumble and can break a bone or the traumatize by falling apples, etc... Yeah, but she took it too far until she didn't make her delivery. And I suppose Granny Smith & Big Mac are already rested in one of their inns despite the ending didn't show them.

Oh yeah, the most funny part, Scootaloo's big mouth compromises the whole act. XD I wish I could love the episode but they're not my favorite characters other than AB was my former favorite crusader. But I do like the 2 fillies trying out the AB's big bows, they look really really cute. I wonder how our little daughters would look like when we give them oversized bows. :o

I rather liked this episode...Then again, I'm a sucker for anything CMC or AJ related...I rather liked the Chimera..She (or they) were kind of sassy..Wonder how they''ll get out that trap...You don't see many characters in this show that are out simply to kill another character...

Was getting 'blank-flank' references when AB was creeping along the dark pathway..And the bit where we see the Chimera for the first time was pretty cool.

And the helmet bits cracked me up. AJ putting a helmet over the other helmet. I STILL would love to see what the back-story with the Apple siblings parents...Nice to see Smarty Pants is back. Wonder if AB swiped her, or Big Mac was just hiding her there with all the dust-bunnies..

Also that small town they end up dropping off those cakes. Wonder if that's supposed to be Hallow Shades? It's on the official Equestria map..

Oh yeah,

Those safety bicycle helmets. XD How can I forget them? I also find them funny, AJ even put a helmet on another helmet too without noticing.

It seems AJ takes safety way seriously as though like AJ is still a baby.

Oh, no time for a song. Oh, Smarty Pants, underneath AB's bed, nice catch!

While this episode was thouroughly enjoyable, and the aborted song made me giggle, what really got to me was how obsessive AJ was acting about AB staying home alone...AJ wasn't acting like a big sister, but more like a mother. It didn't suit her personality at all.

That said, with everything that has been said and done in this episode, it is still a high-ranking episode in my books! Though...to nitpick a teeeeeeeeeeeeny amount....

Really Hasbro? Cajun Ponies? Without an ACTUAL Cajun voicing at least ONE of them? REALLY? I get that they're supposed to be so hard to reach because of the Flame Bayou, but....they sound less like Cajuns and more like backwater ponies....

8.5/10

They should have grabbed somepony from Cajun Country...and AJ was acting way out of character for this one.

I'd contend that knowing what we know of their family history, it made perfect sense for Applejack to have a destabilizing influx of maternal feelings at the outset of Apple Bloom, whom she likely had to raise or play a very heavy role in helping from a somewhat early age herself, becoming a filly who no longer needed her.

Yeah, agreed. Without any parents in the picture, a more motherly role probably is something Applejack has had to default to with Apple Bloom, especially given Granny Smith's age and the fact that Big Mac is not the best as communicating with others. I think it's perfectly sound that Applejack is protective in a way that goes beyond what might be expected of a sister. It's a big part of why even in the silly parts, AJ's behavior never seemed out of place to me (just out of hand).

Agreed. No parents means AJ has had to play two roles. So it's natural that she would do that, besides it was funny to see her check up on Applebloom every. Five. Seconds XD! Oh that was funny.

A part of me was hoping somepony would have outsmarted the Chimera, maybe try a three heads but only one meal sort of trick to get the three heads arguing while they slip away.

Also, did anyone get the reference made with the Chimera?

When watching this a little while ago, I was ready to say it was my least favourite episode of the season so far, and, in a sense, it is. The first half felt so clumsy and forced to me after a while. Then Apple Bloom reached the swamp and everything improved so much, becoming one of my favourite Apple Bloom moments. So I'm conflicted.

Archived