[Canterlot] Peachy's Portraits at Pony Joe's! Open to all. (Sign up required for portraits)

CaptainMcDerp

1ktwo.jpg

"Flash Sentry, you're up next!"

The artist would see a pegasus stallion dressed in a REA service uniform heading on over at the calling of his name. “Hello sir!” Flash Sentry didn’t wait long to greet Peachy Keen, taking a peek at the recently finished artwork of the stately old mare in the establishment; “You’ve got some very nice artwork here.” Before sitting in the client’s chair, Flash offered a hoof for Peachy to shake. And after that, the off-duty guard sat down with a casual pose, being as still as possible to make things easier on the artist as he painted.

~Hey wait a minute; would I be able to bring my portrait back to the barracks with me?~

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe got to work filling the orders as they came in. Pony guards, the artist, and a few other ponies made their requests.

"Alright! We've got strawberry donuts! We've got brownies! We've got everything that was requested!" As he spoke the unicorn levitated the orders to those who had ordered them. His green magical aura flashed around donuts and other confections quickly and efficiently as possible.

He was glad that a couple other ponies had defended him from the mare that was at the counter. "I am trying my best here mame. I very much would like to help you and your friends with whatever you want! As you can see, I've got their orders filled. Now, is there anything I can get you?" Joe put on his best smile, intent on pleasing everypony as best he could!

PeachyBanner_zps681adafc.png

Java once again commented on the newest portrait, but his sentence was odd to say the least. Something about writing to his grandma? It seemed the painting reminded him of a relative. Peachy couldn't help his look of momentary bafflement upon hearing his words.

Before he could speculate any further, Flash Sentry responded to his call and trotted up to the stand. "Hello sir! You've got some very nice artwork here."

Peachy tipped his hat. "Why thank you, dear!" He shook Flash's hoof and waited for him to take his seat at the client chair. Judging by his uniform, this pony must be part of the royal guard. How interesting. It seemed ponies from all kinds of backgrounds have found their way into the shop today.

Peachy returned to his work area and began preparing the paints. A grin met his face when his order was levitated over to him by Joe. Strawberry topped chocolate brownies with a glass of milk. His stomach grumbled upon seeing the delicious looking dessert. "Ah yes, thank you Joe!" He levitated the brushes and began rinsing them in the cup while also taking a few bites here and there of the brownie. When everything was ready, he began painting, eyes darting from Flash to the portrait.

After some time had passed, and the painting was near completion, Peachy realized he hadn't talked with the fellow at all! How unprofessional of him. He took notice of Flash's uniform again before settling on a topic.

"I always wondered what it was like to be a part of the royal guard."

After some revisions were made, the portrait was now presentable. He turned the canvas around to face him.

"There you go! I hope I did the uniform justice."

flashportraitfinalresize_zpsa0e58bf8.png

He took a quick glance at the sign up sheet before calling out towards the crowd.

"Dunder Blust, you're next!"

I don't know if Flash Sentry's last quote was a thought or a verbal sentence. I assumed it was the former but let me know if I'm wrong and I'll edit it. :razz:

1ktwo.jpg

During the middle of Flash Sentry’s painting session, Pony Joe levitated his order of donuts over to him. Laying some cash down so that the shop owner could magically pick it up, Flash then set his donuts down on the nearest table. The young stallion decided to wait, not wanting any eating to interfere with the painter’s work.

"I always wondered what it was like to be a part of the royal guard."

Friendly chatter of course was very welcome for PFC Sentry, who kept smiling at all times. “Life in the Guard is... kinda hard to put in words, I’ve found. For long periods of time, I don’t really do anything but fly messages between the Crystal Empire and the rest of Equestria. Or maybe serve as the court herald. But then once in a blue moon, something big happens and everything becomes hectic and blood-pumping. I may not be the best soldier by a long shot, but I do think that what I do for Equestria is extremely worthwhile.”

That conversation, along with the finished artwork, was enough to make Flash Sentry forget about where he’d keep his portrait. “Heh heh,” chuckled the guardpony, admiring the work of art; “That looks totally awesome. Really good job with my smile!” Reaching to munch on his donuts, Flash requested; “Is there a place to keep it safe for a few minutes? I still got my snack to eat first.....”

Looking back for to the previous painting as it floated through the air, the guilt still sort of sunk in. Once it was out of sight, Java managed to snap free of it's spell and return his gaze back to the next painting. Some how in no time at all, the artist managed to produce yet another amazing painting! In such a speed that Java hadn't even managed to see the first stroke of the brush! Or perhaps he had been to absorbed in the last one to notice?

Friendly chatter of course was very welcome for PFC Sentry, who kept smiling at all times. Life in the Guard is... kinda hard to put in words, I’ve found. For long periods of time, I don’t really do anything but fly messages between the Crystal Empire and the rest of Equestria. Or maybe serve as the court herald. But then once in a blue moon, something big happens and everything becomes hectic and blood-pumping. I may not be the best soldier by a long shot, but I do think that what I do for Equestria is extremely worthwhile.”

That conversation, along with the finished artwork, was enough to make Flash Sentry forget about where he’d keep his portrait. Heh heh,” chuckled the guardpony, admiring the work of art; That looks totally awesome. Really good job with my smile!” Reaching to munch on his donuts, Flash requested; Is there a place to keep it safe for a few minutes? I still got my snack to eat first.....”

“It seems like a lot has been going on lately,” Java hummed with a thoughtful gaze. He even began to run down the list of events that had happened in his life time! For some reason, Equestria had been the target for a lot of bizarrely foul minded and attractive ponies in an evil queen take over. Not to mention the events of the Crystal Empire. He still can barely even wrap his mind around the concept of why this one province is still the target after so many failures!

But with a sigh, he disregaurded the thought and plucked his saddle bags up from the ground, and plopped it into a seat with a loud and heavy sounding thump.

“Ah yes yes! Give me a few seconds here Flash and I'll see what I can do for ya. I got you covered!”

He flipped over the cover for one of the satchels, revealing it to be completely full to the brim with a large variety of things. A hoof quickly shot into it, and began to rifle through the contents. “Ah... gears... glass.... grinders... nuts...bolts...more bolts...nails.... books.... plants... plants? Well... there goes my Hydrangea bush... sad day...” his eyes now squinted as he leaned a little closer to his bags. Eventually he engulfed his own head into it, searching long and hard for that one darn bit of metal! Could it be that these bags are much bigger on the inside than the outside? Or is the pony just playing tricks with everyone by using a poorly organized storage method!

“Where is it... where is it....” he mumbled to himself before his hoof finally tapped what he was looking for. A smile then crossed his lips when he tugged out a coil of thick piece of wire. After revealing it, he uncoiled a small portion of it and snapped it off with just a quick bite. A moment later, he ran his hoof down the length to straighten it out. He then bit down on one end, and twisted his head just a little bit. The wire gave with the motion to create a hook. Once he was finished he flipped it around, and began to rework the other end with a hoof. With the first tap of a hoof, he bent a good portion of it into a perfect ninety degree angle, then with a series of taps he proceeded to bend the bent portion into a rectangular shape sized just right to grip hold of one of the many boards on the wall, and hang there with the weight of a painting. "I always get an extra amount before I put any of my designs into application. It helps things go smoother if I failed to compensate for something in it's integrity. Mostly when ever I remodel my house. Though... with my actual work... I am much more careful as it's... a little more dangerous."

“Well, here you go flash, if I was back home I could have made a frame... if I can find my lumber and skill saw behind my mess of other projects in the basement. But this will have to do for now! Just hang it up on the boards on the wall, and it will be out of the way~,” he chimed. After waiting for the new hanger to be taken, he quickly dove his head back into his bags to pull out a small card held in his lips! It was a trading card actually! And not just any trading card! It was a card of the REA before him! Flash Sentry! A pony who apparently also received his own fanbase theme song. It would seem that some members of the REA had became quite popular with the civilians of Equestria!. “Ah! One more thing! Could I get an autograph?”

JWdXRQO.jpg

“Hey now! Cut the fellah some slack, This place has only been open for an hour or two, and it's been swarmed. He's the only stallion here cooking, taking orders, and serving. For a blue coat, I'd figure you'd be more respectful, mi'lady.”

"Excuse me, sir! You talk of respect, but have you none? What right do you claim to speak so to a Trottingham Duchess, especially as she stands up for the sake of another!" she spoke. "I don't know if things are different for such a common establishment, but I personally see no excuses for poor service. If I am not to be attended to, then my bits are best spent elsewhere. It's a simple matter.If Duchess Belle wishes to call them out on their error, it is entirely within her right!"

"I have no respect? To whom I show respect to is dignified by my own whims. If I feel you are undeserving of it after unsteeling your nerves to tell off a pony who has worked harder than possibly the both of you combined, then I won't show you any, which I believe I haven't done so yet. After all, I am not flitting insults through the air quite yet. But, I do give you my... ah, above minimum respect miss if it's for the status of your name,"

Belle had intended to give the stallion a piece of her mind, but before she could the very friend who she tried to stand up for did the same for her. While she hadn't considered how her friend might feel about how her bringing attention to her presence, but the feeling dawned on her once she heard Crystal declare belle's own noble status. She supposed a taste of her own medicine was due for her own haughty behavior. She really needed to make sure to reign her own personality in... she did come here with her daughter who saw fit to blend in with the common ponies rather than the upper class belle was so used to meeting.

Seeing crystal snowflake standing up for her and then giving the slightly disheveled looking stallion the cold shoulder brought a small smile to her muzzle. For now she did the same thing and simply turned away to continue introducing her friend to her daughter. While the two older mares walked towards their target, Snowflake had some interesting words to share.

"I think its in all children to find a way to reject us somehow," she said reflectively. "It may indeed be that Snowfall has done a commendable job of following her father's example into the world of business, but that doesn't mean her sweet head hasn't been addled by a particular and unfortunate brand of rebellion."

"If your Presteza can just find a respectable stallion, I think you should be proud yet," she said with a conclusive nod. "There are days where I would welcome Snowfall shirking her duties at NSI to pursue some fool dream if she would just take a moment to rethink her choices in love,"

"Well... she is currently involved with a privileged archeologist stationed in Manehattan... although I wonder if he is really the right pony for her." said the silver maned mare as her thought drifted so some of the rumors about her little filly's coltfriend. "I've been hearing he's something of a playcolt; having been hopping from wealthy mare and heiress like a flea who's having a difficult time picking who to parasatize." The mare gave out a depressed sigh while glancing to the floor,"It's curious, isn't it? I'm one the most magically well versed in Equestria and regular visiting scholar to the school in this city... yet I still can't for the life of me figure out how ta approach a touchy topic with my daughter without upsetting her... I swear Silver wasn't this difficult. Then again they do say Colts are easier to raise than fillies..." The Duchess was truly at a loss how to bring this up to her little girl, she'd only recently began to connect even a little bit with her. Belle didn't want to alienate her foal after finally being able to spend some time with her.

Presteza and Crystal Snowflake seemed to be getting along quite well. The scarf wearing unicorn had given her a formal greeting, it seemed her daughter's interests were quickly drawn to other places as she spotted someone who looked familiar to her (and vaguely familiar to belle as well). The noblemare had some vague memory of him as a colt talking to her daughter as they wandered around an art store together.

"We never can keep them in one place very long,"

"That mare... I apologize Miss Snowflake. I'll make sure she actually holds a conversation with you once she's back. For now It seems you're up for your portrait." the mare smiled and waited as snowflake took her seat and chosen pose for the painter; ever the serious looking one is seemed!

DrX8y0X.jpg

"Pressy! Of course I remember you. I never forget a face after all. Especially one as stunning as yours, love. So how have you been?"

The mare grinned wide and returned her friend's hug,"Yer as much of a flatterer as ya ever were, Peachy." said the freckled painter as she gave the stallion a slight squeeze. "I've actually been pretty good! I've been doin' all sorts o' travelin' and I've been learnin' all kindsa cool styles and paintin' techniques! I even learned how ta make my own paint... some 'o which can be edible if made from the right stuff." The mare smiled and soon opened up her bag, a small rodent like face poking out with a squeak as a small purple fruit-bat climbed up on her back, "And I guess ya noticed... but I've got a pet now!" she said with a giggle at her little flying friend.

The young painter couldn't help but take a look as peachy worked once Snowflake took her seat. His technique was amazing he did his work about as fast as her,"Peachy... yer paintin' is incredible! When yer finished up here would ya mind lettin' me paint a portrait o' you later?". While the painter waited for her old friend's response she took a look at the completed portrait of Snow flake. Even after showing the hints of age, Presteza had to admit that Crystal Snowflake was still very photogenic.Getting a closer look at her her mind drifted to the words she heard from her earlier...

"And you as well, Presteza," she said as she greeted the young mare. "Though it is not truly a first meeting. You were so small though, last we met, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't recall it..." she said, reminiscing. "I imagine your brother might recall having my Snowfall for a playmate"

Soon the little wheels in the freckled painter's head started to click. She did have some memory of this mare! It's just the last time she saw her she didn't have as obvious signs of aging. Since Snowflake was still near enough with Peachy and Presteza to converse the silver maned pony took the chance to reply to her words from earlier,"Ya were right, Miss Snowflake. WE did meet before... i just remembered ya lookin' a bit different." she said with a chuckle,"Although I gotta admit yer actually even more mesmeric than when I met ya as a filly!"

Dunder nodded, "I indeed did notice the cute stallion selling the portraits. I hope I gave him enough, though I'll just give him more after I see what the final product is." Dunder took note of pocket's, sizing up in his head the quality of the painting and he was impressed so far. "Oh, I can see that. Though a present for your special somepony?" It never crossed Dunder's mind to give a special somepony a gift entirely revolving around himself like a painting. But Dunder wasn't in a position to judge a stallion with a special somepony.

"Anyway, I am doing fine. You know, getting by better now since I got a good job and now can go on adventures for pay now." He said. He wasn't sure if Pocket even knew about the pegasus's brief financial troubles from moving back to Cloudsdale.

When Dunder heard his name called out, his ear swiveled first, then his head to look over. He nodded to the artist to signal acknowledgement and stood up back on all fours after pushing himself off the stool. "Anyway, I guess I'll be right back unless you need to leave. In which case, I'll see ya around." Dunder said while backing away from the other pony towards the artist. He turned quickly, and as he approached the pink artist Dunder started to work his saddlebags off. Dunder took the seat in front of the artist's desk and slipped the bags off and tossed them under the desk. "'Sup?" He greeted with a smile "So I just have to sit here like this?" He asked and sat up straight, making sure that the side with the sword was facing the pink unicorn.

A wide grin was fixed on Peachy's face. It seemed his old friend had been up to a lot. Traveling, painting, and even making edible paint! He's never thought of eating a painting before but it certainly sounded creative. When she opened her bag, a purple fruit bat climbed out of the opening and perched on her back.

"And I guess ya noticed... but I've got a pet now!"

"Indeed! What a cute little creature that is. I just adore the fruit bat's vibrant colors."

Pressy veered her gaze to the painting of Crystal Snowflake and complimented his work, even asking to paint a portrait of him later. He blinked in surprise. The offer was unexpected and quite flattering.

"Oh... of course, I'd love to get a portrait from you, dear! I can't wait to see how much you've improved since then."

After he began painting Flash Sentry and expressed his curiosity towards the royal guard's way of life, Flash was more than happy to provide him with some answers. The stallion's description of being a royal guard was nothing short of fascinating. Just the idea of transporting letters from the crystal empire to other parts of Equestria was an exciting notion. To know things could become serious at anytime would be enough to get his stress levels rocketing. He nodded to show his intrigue, feeling quite a bit of admiration for the pegasus.

"I may not be the best soldier by a long shot, but I do think that what I do for Equestria is extremely worthwhile.”

Both eyebrows raised and he nodded in agreement. "Oh yes, very worthwhile indeed. What you do is most commendable, my good fellow!"

After viewing the portrait, Flash asked if there was a place he could keep if safe while he finished eating his snack. Peachy glanced around for a moment but soon enough Java piped in and offered to lend a hoof. The pink stallion watched as he rummaged through his bag, pulled out a wire, and began shaping it into a hanger for the painting. When he was done, he handed it over to Flash Sentry, but not before asking for an autograph. A grin showed on Peachy's face coupled with a raised eyebrow. That stallion was quite the amusing pony.

Just then, Dunder approached and greeted him with a casual "sup?" Peachy tipped his hat before the pegasus took his seat at the client chair.

"So I just have to sit here like this?"

"Yes, perfect! I'll get right to work." He started to prepare his supplies when he noticed the stallion's cutie mark. A frying pan and a sword? Hmmm that was an intriguing combination.

"If you don't mind me asking, what would be you're special talent, love?"

Dunder was looking at Peachy when the artist inquired about the cutiemark. "Oh. The pan means that I can cook and the sword means that I can fight. I love doing them both, and they can cross over sometimes. Like, you know, if you're out in the wilderness some of the more important things are eating and fighting off whatever Equestria throws at you. Especially when you are with a bunch of ponies and the like who would otherwise not know what to do. Last thing they would have needed was nothing to eat. Or worse: A pony who doesn't know how to cook and their food is all there is. Yuk! Also traveling to griffon or zebra lands knowing how to defend yourself is useful. zebras can be crafty and griffons can be stronger, you know? But what both of their criminals understand is that foreigners don't usually know what's-what. That's when you bust out a dagger, usually just looking like you know what you are doing is half the battle. Criminals are usually poor, not like most actually want to hurt anything..." He said getting off on a thought. After a moment he realized he was going on a tangent. "Oh, silly me! I'll let you paint." He said, standing up straight and trying his best to strike a pose.

Java's gaze slowly turned to Dune as he detailed his own special talent. It was quite the curious one. Cooking and fighting? Java had humor himself with the thought of the broader stallion suddenly taking on the world of crime with just a spatula and frying pan. The thought had even gone as far as a humors daydream where all the events laid out. Some evil or shady character tries to destroy the infrastructure of Equestria once more, and the same very pony appears in a valiant chariot made of Linguine from the sunset in the horizon. Dunder being a paladin, sworn to protect the world from the evils of vicious tyrants, terrible cooks, and food poisoning. Just like Gorden Ruby. "Evil," herald out the thought, "fear my wrath! I will crack your eggs of tyranny, and curdle your eggs of treachery with my spatula of justice!" Once the evil has been slain, and such eggs were curdled. He would eat them, to enjoy the fruits of justice... only to spit it out and scream, "EVIL TASTE RAW!"

When the thought ended, Java nearly found himself in a giggle fit. Oh how wonderful of a paladin Dunder would be. When Java finally regained his composure, he found himself now at a disappointment when a fascinating explanation came to an end.

"Well," Java began, looking towards Dunder, "You are in far better shape than me. The only career of fighting I've had was a while back actually. I loved the sport of boxing... boxed back in the academy and my first two years in the University. But geez it does something terrible for your body," Java then remembered a rather annoying detail. "Especially when you were one of the smaller ponies of the lot."

He thought for a moment, as he took a closer look to the rapier, "Have you ever tried fencing? I noticed that the sword was a rapier."

"I have no respect? To whom I show respect to is dignified by my own whims. If I feel you are undeserving of it after unsteeling your nerves to tell off a pony who has worked harder than possibly the both of you combined, then I won't show you any, which I believe I haven't done so yet. After all, I am not flitting insults through the air quite yet. But, I do give you my... ah, above minimum respect miss if it's for the status of your name,"

Crystal stared in contempt at the young upstart. He really was an impetuous fool. She had it in her mind to put him further in his place, if perhaps only because the Duchess Silverbelle really did hardly deserve such boorish words being bandied in her direction. What did he know of work? It was ignorance, pure and simple. She didn't really have much interest in spending very much time on it. She was far more interested in sharing her company with her dear friend than educating presumptive stallions.

"One should remember not to make assumptions about strangers. You'll make a fool of yourself when you are so woefully incorrect in your judgement," she said simply, smiling a superior smile. "If in fact your donut maker has worked harder in his life than I, he would have a lot more to show of it. I am Crystal Snowflake, co-founder of Stalliongrad's Northern Storm Industries. As it were, I came up from humble origins in Cloudsdale. I came to Stalliongrad with practically nothing to my name and spent years of my life working as a weather pony there, making snow for some of the harshest winters Equestria knows before helping my late husband build the business that would make him one of the most successful entrepreneurs in Equestria from the ground up,"

"To presume that all who have do so without knowing hard work, is woefully naive," she punctuated her story. "Everything I have is a direct result of the effort I have made to achieve it."

"My apologies for the long wait, Miss. I do hope you find it worth the time."

Luckily, Crystal was drawn away from her harsh words to the stallion by the voice of the artist nearby. He worked fast, it seemed, for he was already done with his work. She stepped toward and admired her own image. it was captured quite well. She nodded in approval.

"it's excellent work," she said with a nod. "You have considerable talent," she added, smiling. "More than such a humble place as this deserves, I must say." she glanced toward the donut server, to find that it seemed like he had finally gotten to her order, it only taking the Duchess' shouts to get him to move on it.

"With skill like this, I wouldn't be surprised if someday soon this portrait is even more valuable than the others it will hand alongside in my manor." She gave a nod. She was content with the work and ready to have it fitted into a nice frame.

She stepped back toward Crystal then. Since she had been finally served her order, she supposed she would be staying here a little longer. She grabbed the donuts and moved toward a table.

"Well... she is currently involved with a privileged archeologist stationed in Manehattan... although I wonder if he is really the right pony for her. I've been hearing he's something of a playcolt; having been hopping from wealthy mare and heiress like a flea who's having a difficult time picking who to parasatize. It's curious, isn't it? I'm one the most magically well versed in Equestria and regular visiting scholar to the school in this city... yet I still can't for the life of me figure out how ta approach a touchy topic with my daughter without upsetting her... I swear Silver wasn't this difficult. Then again they do say Colts are easier to raise than fillies..."

This immediately set Crystal's imagination to work. Archaeologist? Manehattan? Entertains wealthy and elite mares? All of the pieces to the puzzle certainly did seem to fit together to form a certain old acquaintance of hers. It couldn't be though, could it? What were the chances.

She gave a laugh and smiled at her friend. "I know a Manehattan archaeologist who I'd say fits most of that bill, however, he is as fine and distinguished a gentlecolt as I can recall meeting. He was involved with my Snowfall for a while, but her, with all her lack of taste and sense rejected the opportunity. I met him myself not too many months ago and he treated me to the finest time here in Canterlot. We took in a showing of A Midnight Summer's Dream at the Canterlot Grand Theatre and had fine conversation," she nodded, recalling fondly the evening with Dr. Merlot. Had she been just a little younger, perhaps it would have gone differently... Though in the end it had lead to some manner of opportunity; she had found a window to acquire new and pretty things for her collection of gems and finery. By investing enough in his expeditions, she could get her hoofs on the kinds of things nopony else had.

"Ya were right, Miss Snowflake. WE did meet before... i just remembered ya lookin' a bit different. Although I gotta admit yer actually even more mesmeric than when I met ya as a filly!"

When Presteza finally returned, Crystal gave her a smile. She seemed a well mannered child. She spoke somewhat informally for the daughter of a Duchess, but what of it. Character was the important thing. TYoung Presteza was ploite and quick to compliments. What more could be asked for?

"Why thank you, Presteza, dear," she started, nodding. "You've grown to be quite a lovely young mare yourself. Your gentlecolt must be pleased," she said with a nod, looking the young mare over.

She paused a moment then, not sure what there was to really discuss with the younger mare. She recalled what her mother said about what the child did then and laughed. She brought her fresh portrait up to the table.

"Your mother says you're making your name as an artist at the moment," she said, nodding. "As one who knows art, what do you think about our Mr. Keen's capturing of my likeness? Personally, I'm quite pleased with it.. but the perspective of an artist on the work of another I think is always a valuable thing."

1ktwo.jpg

“Well, here you go flash, if I was back home I could have made a frame... if I can find my lumber and skill saw behind my mess of other projects in the basement. But this will have to do for now! Just hang it up on the boards on the wall, and it will be out of the way.”

Wow! Kindness was something ponies tended to encounter on a daily basis, but this engineer.. . went above and beyond. Flash Sentry could even use that contraption to mount the portrait of himself someplace (maybe he could make a brief trip to Cloudsdale on the return trip to the Crystal Empire). Lo and behold, Flash could hang the artwork on the wall; “T-thanks for doing all that for me. Very much appreciated, Mr... what’s your name?”

While Flash waited for the engineering pony to properly introduce himself, he sat down to munch on delicious donuts. Mmmmmm, good stuff. Been too long since the last time he ate at Pony Joe’s.....

OOC: I do not think Flash Sentry has done anything noteworthy enough to get included in a set of REA trading cards, let alone have his own fanbase theme song. Flash has a long way to go before he becomes marketable enough to sell Equestria defense bonds like Capt. America could. So yes, I’m electing to ignore that detail.

Peachy felt his cheeks burning at the rather extensive compliments being provided by Crystal Snowflake while she examined the painting. He chuckled, trying to restrain the red that was forming over his face. He was delighted to know she liked the painting, but he didn't expect to be so flattered by her compliments. Perhaps it felt like more of an achievement than usual because the mare seemed hard to please. Either way, he tipped his hat and smiled through his reddening face. "Why thank you very much, miss."

When their exchange ended, the older mare walked away to chat with somepony else. Peachy angled his head to get a better look at the mare she was conversing with. When her features came into view, Peachy's eyes widened slightly. Was that who he thought it was? Yes, he was quite curtain it was Pesteza's mother. Peachy resolved to try and talk to her when he got the chance.

After he began painting Dunder Blust, Peachy quickly realized the stallion was proving to be quite a chatty fellow. Dunder explained that his special talent was both fighting and cooking and how each skill was key to survival in the wilderness. However, that wasn't the only subject to leave his muzzle. Dunder also gave instructions on how to deal with criminals while in foreign lands. Peachy enjoyed listening to the stallion's words. It was always nice to hear such fascinating stories while he painted.

Java however, found the Dunder's words to be somehow humorous. Peachy raised an eyebrow as the eccentric stallion began giggling for a reason he couldn't imagine. As confused as Peachy was, he couldn't help but grin at his friend's giggle fit. What could have possibly tickled his funny bone so much? After a moment of staring, the pink unicorn shrugged before returning his eyes to Dunder Blust.

"That is quite the admirable talent. Do you by any chance work as a body guard sometimes? It sounds like you're perfect for it."

After applying the finishing touches, he felt the image was ready to be displayed. He turned the canvas around to face his client and grinned. "Alright, here you go. I do hope I was successful in capturing your dashing features." He said with a wink.

zdunderblustrezize_zpsa0985f50.png

Peachy looked through the sign up sheet to see who was next. When he found the name that was listed after Dunder Blust, he shouted towards the crowd. "Punk Walker, you're next!"

"One should remember not to make assumptions about strangers. You'll make a fool of yourself when you are so woefully incorrect in your judgement," she said simply, smiling a superior smile. "If in fact your donut maker has worked harder in his life than I, he would have a lot more to show of it. I am Crystal Snowflake, co-founder of Stalliongrad's Northern Storm Industries. As it were, I came up from humble origins in Cloudsdale. I came to Stalliongrad with practically nothing to my name and spent years of my life working as a weather pony there, making snow for some of the harshest winters Equestria knows before helping my late husband build the business that would make him one of the most successful entrepreneurs in Equestria from the ground up,"

"To presume that all who have do so without knowing hard work, is woefully naive," she punctuated her story. "Everything I have is a direct result of the effort I have made to achieve it."

Java's attention slowly looked up to Crystal once more. Though it wasn't the sort of face one would expect to a colt who was being told off by a more experienced stallion. No it was the sort of face one would get when she who tells the pony off, failed to properly up then ante. Java's lips were pulled back completely in a devilish grin, his fore legs' elbows were resting on the edge of the table. And his chin was resting on the back of his hooves.

Was this woman really still telling him off? Not only that but using the life of every pony's struggle to make it through? He doesn't even sleep everyday. Heck he sleeps only once a week -though often times it may not be in his own home... and just about anywhere on the streets! Java could feel his respect for her wane just a little more, but he could give her credit. She wasn't necessary an old money. Sort of a new one, even her financial success was ridden from another. He could easily continue the argument, but he didn't feel like making an utter flank out of himself. But this dam spoke as if he doesn't know what proper work is anything like. And with that annoying Second Pony tone! It'd be less infuriating if she didn't use that archaic style of speaking! True, he may not have a family to feed. But he's worked incredibly hard to get where he was. Not to mention his addiction-er-love for coffee.

So instead, the pony decided to see what luck had to say. He inhaled deeply after leaning back in his seat with that smile still on his face. A hoof slipped past his jacket, and withdrew a single bit from his personal wallet. He held it in his hoof in the light, looking down to it.

Heads, he tell her off.

Tails, he'd let it slide.

After giving it one last look, he flicked it up into the air, and waved his hoof to Donut Joe. “Oh, could I get another pot of coffee, please? And thankyou~” he called out appreciatively.

The coin clacked on the table, and bounced into the air. Flipping through it's sides till it landed on the table once more, rolled around and came to a complete stop. Tails was the side that was faced up.

After looking down to this. And smiled softly to himself. Looks like he didn't need to tell some pony off today. Instead he simply glanced back up to the mare, and gave her a smile. Though he was resisting the urge to just laugh at her attempts to shut him down. “Well, I guess... you had a -very- stressful life then. But a successful one. After all you're married to a nice stallion, I suppose.”

Wow! Kindness was something ponies tended to encounter on a daily basis, but this engineer.. . went above and beyond. Flash Sentry could even use that contraption to mount the portrait of himself someplace (maybe he could make a brief trip to Cloudsdale on the return trip to the Crystal Empire). Lo and behold, Flash could hang the artwork on the wall; “T-thanks for doing all that for me. Very much appreciated, Mr... what’s your name?”

Java then glanced back to Flash. He was a little curious about what the initial stuttering was about, but he quickly disregarded it. “Oh,” Java chimed, realizing that he hadn't properly introduced himself. How rude of him to know another ponies name without offering out his! “JavaSun,” the pony quipped, offering out a hoof to shake the others.

Dunder's grin dropped when he heard Java break out laughing. Even the artist seemed to take note of the Stallion's giggle fit. Halfway through the fit, though, Dunder's face curled back into a grin. Soon Java spoke about boxing and even fencing. Dunder could safely bet that this stallion mentioned the kind of fencing where the two ponies had to go in a straight line and couldn't do any of the fun things the real martial arts taught. "I took boxing classes and read manuscripts, Java, until I felt my hoof-to-hoof was proficient enough to take down somepony who knew what they were doing. I don't see why you would quit though, you can still learn it but just do drills instead of having to beat the snot out of eachother." He said with a chuckle. "And I do rapier fencing. Not the sport one where both ponies can only travel a straight line and can't throw punches or step in any direction they want or perform a disarm." Dunder said, catching himself before going on a tangent. "I'd like to think myself a duelist. Though I don't go picking fights. But I have to say nothing feels better than steel on steel. Swords, flesh, and bone clashing... I couldn't give it up if I tried."

Then the pink artist decided to speak up and Dunder was happy to oblige an answer, "Nope. I could work as a bodyguard, I've just never done it. I more work to preotect groups of ponies that want to go on expeditions more than anything. But maybe following around some young, energetic, unicorn with a lot of money who feels like she needs a big...strong...pegasus..." He trailed off on the thought, his eyes and head drifting up as he went starry-eyed.

He cleared his throat when Peachy turned the painting around and showed his work. Dunder quickly snapped out of it and smiled, "Oh...my." He said as he got up and approached. He got on his hindlegs and picked up the painting with his forehooves. "This is amazingly well done for the time you had. I am impressed." But the wink and subtle comment in Peachy's words did not go unnoticed by the pegasus. "You did excellently, cutie~" After Peachy was done shouting for the next pony, Dunder gave Peachy a quick peck on the cheek. "I'll hang around a while."

1ktwo.jpg

A few minutes later, Flash Sentry finished up his donut and was ready to head out of the shop. He’d probably have to catch an express train back to the Crystal Empire, now that the stallion was bringing back a portrait of himself. Or maybe Flash ought to drop by the post office and get that painting mailed safely to his folks in Cloudsdale; they’d love that brilliant artwork for sure. Carefully taking the Peachy’s painting off the way, the off-duty guard made a final farewell; “Well I gotta get going now. Maybe one day, I can catch up with the both of you, Peachy and Java. Oh, and you too Pressy. May you all have an awesome day!”

*Exit Flash Sentry*

ponyjoebanner_zpse327e8ed.jpg

“Oh, could I get another pot of coffee, please? And thankyou~”

Joe nodded and trotted back behind the counter. It was so nice to have the amount of business he had right now. If this kept up he could expand. Maybe talk on another pony to help him run the place... his mind went through these options as he set another pot of coffee to brew. It wasn't long before the smell of freshly brewed coffee filtered through the place. It was getting a little warm so Joe trotted over and opened a window while the coffee finished up.

Once it was done he brought it over to Java and set to down.

"You sure do like your coffee don't you sir?"

(Decided to go ahead and make another post. Conversations go on when ponies art.)

Java looked to dunder and smiled, having to brush a bit of his mane out of his eyes after spending to much time looking down at his pittifully empty mug. How sad. “Well, I didn't say I gave up the training part... engineering ponies have to stay in top physical shape too! No... I gave up the championship part after having my noggin scrambled a couple times to many than I am comfortable with. Had it been ponies closer to my size... maybe it wouldn't be much of a problem... but that wasn't the case.”

He turned around to look to Flash Sentry as he left, “Good meeting you.”

Java then spun around in his seat to face his bag. Once more he reached in to his bag, pulled another strand of wire and fashioned yet another makeshift canvas hanger in a matter of seconds. Once he was finished inspecting it for any flaws, he offered it out to Dunder with it stuck securely to his magnetic horse shoe. “And I do mean the actual rapier fencing. With dagger and steel. Not the Equestrian Games rules. But, perhaps you and I can spar some time with a friendly wager?”

He'd normally wait for a response. But the delicious auroma of coffee stole his attention. His head quickly snapping around to look behind himself with a surprinsg amount of flexibility. And in that same moment, he caught the holy grail of all coffee slowly being levitated down onto the table before him. As if it had been harolded by Celestia herself. A simply beautiful display, that if the pony wasn't in public, he may not be resiting the urge to let tears flow from happiness.

And then his attention had been stolen once more as the brewer sat down across the table. “Oh! Yes, yes. It most certainly becomes useful when you don't sleep for days or weeks at a time~”

Curiously, even though Java's tone had the same musical lit at the end, there was no tone in that sentence to state that he was joking. In fact, his expression was dead serious about it. Anyone could say he was lying when there was a distinct lack of bags or rings around his eyes.

Dunder answered his bodyguard question. The stallion explained that he usually protected groups of ponies rather than being a personal bodyguard. Peachy grinned as the stallion went starry eyed over the notion of following around a young mare unicorn with a lot of money. That was quite a particular description. Come to think of it, it almost sounded like he was talking about Pressy. He considered it for a moment but quickly disregarded the idea. It was probably just a coincidence.

When Dunder Blust saw the painting,he complimented his work and peppered on a flirtatious remark in the process, causing Peachy's demeanor to veer more towards a more playful disposition. He placed his elbows on the table and rested his chin on his hooves. Dunder seemed quite happy with his portrait, which was great. Peachy was always nervous about rather or not the clients liked their portraits so it was a relief as usual to know it was a job well done.

He had collected himself quite well up until now. But just after he had called for Punk Walker, a sudden peck on the cheek threw him off guard.

"I'll hang around a while."

Peachy felt his cheeks burn and he sat still for a moment before glancing at Dunder. He tried to search his mind for a response but it was like a brick wall was blocking the entrance to his thoughts. Perhaps it was the unexpected aspect of it. Or maybe because it was coming from such a handsome stallion. Either way, he was at a loss for words. "I..." Was the only thing to leave his mouth for a good few seconds. Finally, he snapped out of his daze and cleared his throat, displaying a half lidded grin and resting his chin on his hoof. His stammering words gave away his remaining bewilderment. "That would be delightful. I... I certainly enjoy your company, love."

The sound of Flash Sentry's voice turned Peachy's attention towards him.

“Well I gotta get going now. Maybe one day, I can catch up with the both of you, Peachy and Java. Oh, and you too Pressy. May you all have an awesome day!”

"You too." He said, tipping his hat. "May we cross paths again soon."

The pink stallion had nearly collected himself again. He noticed Java getting to work at making yet another Portrait hanger. When it was complete, Java offered it to Dunder while challenging him to a friendly spar in the future. Peachy couldn't help but feel like he'd love to watch such a thing. Two rather handsome stallions sparring together? Count him in. "I'd love to see that." He said with a quick wink.

Donut Joe approached and levitated another cup of coffee towards Java. Before the cafe owner could walk out of ear shot, Peachy added. "My order was delicious, Joe. Better than average, I'd say!"

Better than average? He fastened his attention to his prior words for a moment. Was that a sufficient compliment? He's eaten better deserts before so he couldn't say it was the exactly best, but it was really good too. Before he could think too much on it, he realized Punk Walker hadn't shown up yet. He scanned the cafe, looking for a white pegasus with a red mane. Soon enough, his eyes fell upon Punk, who seemed to have fallen asleep at his table. Peachy chuckled. With all the energy his displayed upon arrival, it was surprising to see him dozed off like that. Perhaps the pegasus wore himself out.

He looked at Java, who was gawking at his coffee like it was heaven sent. "Oh! Yes, yes. It most certainly becomes useful when you don't sleep for days or weeks at a time~”

Peachy chuckled. "It has a curious effect on me. I get the jitters and feel easily overwhelmed after drinking it. Back when I lived with my parents, I was banned from coffee since it quite frankly turns me into an emotional wreck."

Dunder got on his hindlegs and lifted the painting carefully over his back. He held the painting by the top and let it dangle behind him for his wings to grab the painting by the sides. He had to admit, he probably used his wings for holding stuff more than flying. He trotted over to Java, who appeared to be holding out some sort of hanging device crafted from some metal wiring. Dunder grabbed it in his mouth and reahed back with his hindleg, showing off a muscular hindleg to anypony who cared to watch.

He dragged the green saddlebags over, flicked one open with a hoof and spat the device inside, all the while listening to what sounded like a challenge to a friendly duel from Java. "Thanks." He said to Java then straightened out his posture, "Well, I'll have you know that since you are challenging me to the duel, I get to pick weapons. And I pick rapiers. Bring your own mask. Also, I'm picking Peachy here as my second." Dunder said, making a motion to the pink unicorn. It may have appeared that Dunder ignored Peachy, but the pegasus was observant enough. And Dunder was more than happy to let a cute stallion like Peachy watch a fight.

Then they started talking about coffee. Something Dunder couldn't really relate to because he hardly ever drank the beverage. While Java praised it, Peachy gave a totally unexpected answer. Peachy being an emotional wreck? The pegasus had trouble imaging the sight. "Instead of drinking coffee, " Dunder said to Peachy, "What I do is just drink soda on occasion. Also getting plenty of sleep makes me not really need coffee ever."

Java's eyes dipped down after spotting the out reaching leg that moved to take the hook he had made. His ears actually perking up after noticing just how ripped this pegasus's leg was. Perhaps there was a little more behind the expression? After all it did trail up quite a ways, with an admiring tint till it landed on Dunder's flank. He stared unceremoniously. It hung for a moment, and quickly dissipated once he felt his hoof's magnet tug for just a moment.

Java blinked as the challenge had been laid out. And a challenge that Java... didn't really have a chance in tartarus with. The pony had actually meant boxing, as they both had a well laid background for the sport. But rapier dueling? It would be like a fledgling vs a hawk for poor Java. At least if he got close for hoofty cuffs he could stand a chance... but techniques? Extended Finesse?

Java wanted to say something, a friendly turn down of the weapon choice just by the lack of any prior knowledge. But then Peachy stepped in, showing interest in watching such a fight.

“Oh buckin great...” The pony thought to himself as he looked to Peachy with a curious gaze, “now this is a Gladiatorial fight, and I am the slaughter.”

He turned back to Dunder. “Well, rapier's it is then. Any particular date,” the pony asked. Hopefully he would have at least a days time to study the art of sword play. He was a fast learner, and in pretty good shape. The most he needed would be the skill set, and the basic rules. Even a basic form would be useful in preventing the pony from outright embarrassing himself.

Java then turned back to Peachy, this time his eyes a bit wide, “W-wait. Emotional wreck? How? I mean, it can't be that bad? I just don't see it.”

• 4 weeks later...

Pony Joe had been listening to the interchange about a duel with interest. It wasn't often anypony challenged another to a friendly duel around here... and even less often that it would happen in his shop! He walked to various tables, making sure the patrons had what they needed, always keeping an ear on the conversation happening between Peachy and the other two stallions. They seemed to be moving onto Peachy's statement of being an emotional wreck over coffee and so Joe thought he better get in on the conversation before it went any further.

"Yeah, I just don't see a simple cup of coffee turning you into a wreck Peachy... can coffee really do that to a pony?" He set down his tray and furrowed his brow. "Especially since that drink is my business and livelihood."

Peachy observed the two stallions discussing their dueling plans. At first, he suspected it was just talk, but now they were laying out an actual date and such. If that was really happening, he certainly wouldn't want to miss it. However, his thoughts concerning a future duel between two handsome stallions was soon replaced by surprise. When he mentioned his alleged sensitivity to coffee, the amount of responses took him off guard. Dunder was the first to reply, suggesting an occasional soda and keeping oneself well rested. Peachy grinned and waved a hoof in his direction. "Oh, I don't have to worry about that, really. I've never been one to require waking assistance in the mourning. I practically spring to life the moment my eyes are open."

Second was Java, who was obviously skeptical at the notion of coffee causing such a thing. He went on to asking how and if it could really be so bad. Peachy gave a simple nod. "I found it a bit odd myself, but it really seems to be the case for me. After consuming caffeine, I usually end up feeling like every task I'm trying to accomplish is comparable to saving Equestria." The last word came out in a chuckle and he shrugged. "Perhaps some ponies are more sensitive to curtain things than others."

Even Pony Joe joined in, essentially requesting a reconfirmation and possibly feeling like it threatened his livelihood in some way. Peachy could only stare and blink for a moment. He didn't realize his prior words would cause such a...scene so to speak. He didn't want to make anypony feel like their jobs could be in danger. If he discovered curtain ponies were highly allergic to paint, he would be devastated!

Peachy put his hoof up to his chin as he considered an answer. "Well... all I can really say is, once I avoided things that contained caffeine, I seemed to have gained better control of my emotions. It could be a coincidence though. Or perhaps placebo. Whatever the case, it worked for me so that's what I do." He grinned and winked at the cafe owner. You shouldn't worry about it, Joe. Even if that were true, I'm sure caffeine sensitivity to that particular degree is rare. Besides, emotional wreck was too strong a word. And it mostly depends on the amount I consume really. The occasional drink or bite usually doesn't have too many consequences. There's also the fact that I'm easily overwhelmed by default so it could just be my personality."

He fell silent with a slightly troubled expression on his face as the realization hit. Maybe it was the atmosphere, or all the friendly ponies he's interacted with today. Whatever the case, he became really comfortable. A little too comfortable. The pink unicorn didn't expect to reveal the biggest flaw he believed he had to three ponies at once. His inability to keep his emotions under control was something he felt rather ashamed of. And was something he preferred nopony knew about. But here he was, chattering on about it like it was nothing. He strived to have others think of him as the suave, cool head and charismatic stallion rather than the conceited, spoiled, and easily stirred pony who never had to struggle a day in his life. Those things may be true, but nopony had to necessarily become aware of them.

He searched his mind for a new topic to try and change the subject. When an idea came to mind, he quickly regained his demeanor and grinned, glancing from Dunder to Pony Joe while resting his chin on both hooves.

"So when did you two get your cutie marks? I've always been fascinated by the moment one's destiny becomes clear. Java already told me his story but I don't believe I know yours yet."

Java watched Peachy's reaction, for the first time the entire time that this humble little donut shop had been open for the day, suddenly change to a more troubled look. It was rather unusual to the pony, as he continued to observe the expression with a head tilt. Java regarded the pink stallion a moment longer. Yes, he could easily identify that look of discontent. But it was completely unfitting on such a stallion's face. It stuck out like a swollen hoof in fact. Well this pony is not a goddess in disguise now. He's revealed that he has his secrets like every pony else. Not that it was a bad thing at all, it just made the pony more open for friendship is all.

“Guess he didn't want to spill that out,” Java thought to himself. He then offered out a secret of his own. Well a semi secret really, it's just something that most ponies likely forgot about or never took the time to actually ask for. “Well, if it makes you feel any better. My name isn't Java. It's a nickname I fell in love with as a foal. My folks called me that because my coat was a coffee color. And the Sun bit is a reference to the Nov...” the pony trailed off in thought for a bit.

He thought of just out right telling the two that he was from a noble family. But that would destroy the years of progress he had of detatching himself as far from the name as he could. So he figured he'd just end the sentence there and get to the point.

“It's actually Voronoi Fractal. There is some kind of title before that due to my studies. But I don't remember what it was, and I am not to fond of being refereed to with formalities and honorifics anyways.” The pony hummed in an off note. He then took a long sip from his coffee, and placed it down. His hoof jitter just slightly from the sudden rush of caffine, but settled down almost immediately.

The pony then looked to the other two after Peachy dropped his question.

OOC: Gah! I thought I had posted in this RP! Guess I didn't!

aes37n.jpg

Dunder nodded, "I indeed did notice the cute stallion selling the portraits. I hope I gave him enough, though I'll just give him more after I see what the final product is." Dunder took note of pocket's, sizing up in his head the quality of the painting and he was impressed so far. "Oh, I can see that. Though a present for your special somepony?" It never crossed Dunder's mind to give a special somepony a gift entirely revolving around himself like a painting. But Dunder wasn't in a position to judge a stallion with a special somepony.

"Oh yes.", the stallion's eyes almost looked like they were glowing, "A little something for Moony. I didn't expect to be leaving the donut shop with an actual painting of myself. Guess it would make a fun little gift.", he smiled for a moment before glancing at his watch, "And speaking of gifts, I've been here longer than I can afford to. Nice seeing you Mister Blust.", after tossing his litter in the bin, the happy Unicorn snatched up his painting and left for further adventures in Canterlot!

(Exit Pocket Change)

Archived