The Sombra War AU (UPDATE 7/2 - New App Rules)

Bellosh

I didn't plan on being a Sorting Hat for characters in this AU, but Steel does raise some valid concerns. Therefore, I added revised Class Rules to the OP. It will be mostly up to gamemasters to decide which of the three basic classes are the most suitable for a particular character.

I also added a more proper introduction to explain the basic background behind the Sombra War. More worldbuilding details are forthcoming:

Long ago, a cruel unicorn by the name of Sombra usurped the throne of the Crystal Empire and enslaved its inhabitants. His aim: to exploit the power of the Crystal Heart to cover all the lands in darkness. But before King Sombra could realize his vision, he was challenged by the might of Princesses Celestia and Luna. Wielding the Elements of Harmony, the royal sisters defeated the Dark King and imprisoned him beneath ice. However, they could not prevent Sombra from making the Empire vanish, locking it in time until the magic powering his curse lifted.

Much has changed in the thousand years since the Crystal Empire’s disappearance. Princess Celestia now ruled alone; her sister having lost since lost to the Darkness. Unable to use the Elements of Harmony anymore, Celestia hoped that a new generation of Element Bearers would emerge and become Equestria’s champions, but it was not to be. Without the Element Bearers, it was only a matter of time before the Dark King returned.

When the Crystal Empire finally reemerged, so did Sombra. With no one to stop him, the evil stallion used his power to turn the crystal ponies into his soldiers. Gathering their full strength, King Sombra’s legions marched upon the lands of Equestria; destroying, conquering and subjugating everything in their path. Faced with this grave threat, Princess Celestia had but one choice... to mobilize her entire realm against the forces of darkness.

Today, much of Equestria is ravaged by the scourge of war. Earth ponies, unicorns, and pegasi struggle over land, sea, and air for the freedom of their homeland. Anypony not fighting on the front lines is dedicating themselves towards the war effort, toiling in support of their beloved armies. Equestria’s defenders are resolute, but that may not enough to hold the Enemy at bay, for King Sombra even now gathers all evil to him. Savage creatures from forgotten abysses, bloodthirsty mercenaries from faraway lands: all are answering Sombra’s call. Some whisper that it is only a matter of time before the Dark King ultimately triumphs on the field of battle... and bring Equestria under his oppressive shadow once and for all!

UPDATE: added in the last part of the OP for the time being. Additions include a strategic map and a brief summary of the two sides. If everyone else approves of the OP, I think we can declare this AU operational. :D

Don't you folks worry about schedules. Since you guys now have the rules and basic AU details, all of you have the ability to start your own threads at any time. In the meantime, I can go round-up a few potential GMs or so.

The OOC signups for the next PvE thread, Only Hope, is up!

Can you handle a daring resupply mission through waters riddled with Sombra's forces, ice, and Celestia-knows-what? Sign up, and you might find out!

Just write a little about your character's initial thoughts, feelings, and etc for now. Assume you haven't been assigned to your posts yet; that's Arcus's job. The Enemy still has a ways to go before coming into combat range.

There..Posted...kind of clunky....I'm assuming the little inn had been converted into barracks or could at least be used by the R.E.A. If this is not the case, just say and I will change my post..

• 1 month later...

So Um... I had a possible idea for a thread in this series, but I don't really have the capabilities to be a dm for it. If anyone is interested in the pitch I'm about to make.

My idea was that in the increasingly desperate war, some equestrian scholars and magical scientists have been told to design andbuild a weapon that could end the war as quickly as possible if it wsa deemed impossible to ever save the crystal empire. A group of Sombra's elite volunteer troops of different fields have managed to learn of the facility that is constructing this mysterious device. The players involved (myself included playing one of the scientists in the facility) will be either a select group of ponies who have been chosen to safely evacuate the scientists and the device before the Sombra forces manage to learn what the weapon is and destroy all the work and notes regarding it's research... including the engineers, mages, and scholars who worked on it so it can't be produced and used against them.

So... um... thoughts? :alphys:

Archived