Can different types of ponies have babies together?

MyLittlePonyTales

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok maybe this connets to the theme partly but I don't wanted to open a new topic so I wonder if ponies and griphons could crossbread and birth a hipogriff or how ever their crossbread would be called here. :???:

Well we allow Hippogriffs in the RP, so in that context, yes. Although I admit I have a hard time seeing how that works but yet again a griffin is half earth, half lion; which in reality would make no sense, so I choke it up to a magical world with magical rules. :P

If you'll allow me to sidetrack for a moment, I've kind of been wondering about the Princess and other royalty being alicorns. (All of you will just have to excuse me using that word. I really don't know what else to call them, and mash-up words like unisus just plain look dorky to me.)

In Japanese folklore kitsunes, magical nine-tailed foxes, start out as regular foxes, but as they learn more magic, their lifetime extends. Once they reach the age of 100, they grow a new tail, like they will from then on every hundred years, until at the age of one thousand years they have nine tails, and are truly immortal.

Perhaps the condition of being an alicorn is similar. They might well start as normal unicorns (since they seem to have a natural affinity to magic) and at some point, they reach a level of power where their magical ability manifests as wings, or other ways (like Celestia's eternally flowing mane).

If you'll allow me to sidetrack for a moment, I've kind of been wondering about the Princess and other royalty being alicorns. (All of you will just have to excuse me using that word. I really don't know what else to call them, and mash-up words like unisus just plain look dorky to me.)

In Japanese folklore kitsunes, magical nine-tailed foxes, start out as regular foxes, but as they learn more magic, their lifetime extends. Once they reach the age of 100, they grow a new tail, like they will from then on every hundred years, until at the age of one thousand years they have nine tails, and are truly immortal.

Perhaps the condition of being an alicorn is similar. They might well start as normal unicorns (since they seem to have a natural affinity to magic) and at some point, they reach a level of power where their magical ability manifests as wings, or other ways (like Celestia's eternally flowing mane).

that's a much better idea than what I was thinking :-P I was thinking that maybe a long time ago a pony was born with an extremely rare once-in-every-xthousand-years type genetic mutation that allowed her to have both a horn and wings. then all the old-time ponies were all "she must be a god!" and what-not so that family became the rulers.

there was a magic tax that all unicorns must give up some of their magic to the rulers so that's why they are so powerful today~~ UwU

I dunno, I didn't think this through

A theory I came across recently that made sense was that a pony's 'breed/species' was passed on by the mother. So no matter what/who you had for a father, if you were Earth/Unicorn/Pegasus/Whatever was due entirely to what your mother was. This would make sense since Equestria seems to be a little female-dominant in culture and THAT could have sprung out of a biological reason.

This would make sense since Equestria seems to be a little female-dominant in culture and THAT could have sprung out of a biological reason.

I disagree as this is only what the show as shown to us. It's a forced perspective so that's really up in the air. They've never shown in-depth how the other cities in Equestria are aside from Ponyville. While we've seen bits and pieces of other locations being female dominant, again, this is forced perspective. (In a show targeted to young girls, so females would most likely be shown more.)

I'm not disagreeing with the pony type being based on the mother, just the above. :P

I know someone asked Laruen if there were any other alicorn, (or Royal Ponies) at all and she stated other than Luna and Celestia, there are none. That would suggest that they are rather unique, or at least very rare, and a unicorn will always be a unicorn.

hi hi

In real life, horses are matriarchal. I'm not sure if other genetic traits could be inferred from that, but I suppose the X-Y chromosome pair could be a part of it.

I always assumed that the winged unicorn ponies were like that because of either magic manipulation or because they aren't really even ponies at all. Maybe they're just beings of pure energy that take on the form of ponies because they like the form.

• 4 months later...

Well I guess season 2 episode 13 made the inital Question quite clear.

However, my Genetics knowledge is quite rusty though wouldn't the shown combination not work out in any of the previously discussed options ?

two earth ponies both having only a great,great,great,great grandfather as a Unicorn and a great aunts second cousin (which doesn't do anything genetics wise) as a Pegasus...

Even if they forgot some closer relativ it would be near to Impossible if at least their Parent Generation would only consist of Earth Ponies right ?

And even if the twins would be none identical twins, which is quite rare as far as I know, there wouldn't be a chance for them to turn out as they did ^^

Though I guess none of the Writers even thought half as hard about this as you guys did xD

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe you should read the topic before you post stuff. :P That EqD thing is from April, and the DA response from Faust was posted in this topic about five months ago. (You can find it on this page if you scroll up.)

Wasn't there a comment by Lauren Faust somewhere that said that all ponies could interbreed and have any type of pony child? I seem to recall seeing it in EQD somewhere...
6168%20-%20Unicorn%20deviantart%20earth_pony%20interbreeding%20lauren_faust%20pegasus%20word_of_faust.png

TL;DR,

Imo, they're going with a twist on classic Disney Genetics "Boys will be miniature versions of the father, Girls will be miniature versions of the mother" Except in MLP they can be either gender and any coloration, but they will take on traits from their parents wholesale. (After all as was explained in Baby Cakes, the cake's ancestors included Unicorns and Pegasai which is why they had foals that were not earth ponies. Wheather there is any rhyme or reason to this is highly questionable and I think mainly is a plot point not a science point no different to Rarity being cultured while her parents were, for lack of better term, hicks) I like the idea of the chart I saw somewhere in this thread, but honestly I dont think there is any real "rules" on what is dominant over what and it's more either random or the writer's choice (or what looks best in the scenes for background ponies)

(I'll go back and read the thread and make a more logic-based post later, right now I really dont feel like diving into genetics, but wanted to point out how I think it's just the classic "Disney Genetics" with a little twist to it)

I think that weather their foals are earth ponies, unicorns or Pegasuseseseses is depending upon their heritage. This would explain families usually being one type of pony (the apples, I think that Rarity's parents were both unicorns, were they?), but still allow families to have other ponies as kids.

Perhaps several hundred years ago it would be uncommon for ponies to have different kids, but I would imagine that the family lines would have become squiggly. Thus ponies would have different types of ponies for relatives.

Perhaps several hundred years ago it would be uncommon for ponies to have different kids, but I would imagine that the family lines would have become squiggly. Thus ponies would have different types of ponies for relatives.

Well, from what we saw in Hearth's Warming Eve, the three types of pony stayed to their own kind... Thus, they would (probably) only reproduce their own kind.

• 6 months later...

After watching Season 2 Finale (A Canterlot Wedding), and seeing as Shining Armor is a unicorn, and Cadence an Alicorn, it got me thinking... Which pony traits are dominant and recessive?

Take example, a pegasus and a unicorn mating. What would their offspring be?

Pegasus: Dominant/Recessive

Unicorn: Dominant/Recessive

Earth?: Dominant/Recessive

Alicorn: Dominant/Recessive

^ Sort of a prompt for a response right there.

I was thinking that if a Unicorn and a Pegasus had a baby, they could potentially give birth to a unisus. So I was wondering if different types of ponies (Earth, Unicorn, Pegasus) could have babies together. I mean, anatomically, there doesn't seem to be a problem. But is that something that's a taboo in pony society?

You mean, 'Alicorn'right? I don't think I've ever heard of a Unysis :P . But I think the same way, the kids get one, or the other, not both.

You mean, 'Alicorn'right? I don't think I've ever heard of a Unysis :P . But I think the same way, the kids get one, or the other, not both.

Got a Unysis modem , besides that, Baby Cakes threw all that out the window, having two ground ponies have a Pegasus and a Unicorn because in parent's bloodline are remains of pegasus/ unicorn DNA.

hi hi

I think the simple answer is that genetics is a lot more complicated than what is covered in highschool, and there's really no indication that any one pony phenotype is dominant or recessive over another. (and some positive reason to believe that this is not the case, in the case of ponies like Fluttershy who is a pegasus with some earth pony like traits.)

If you look at the platypus for example, they have ten sex determining chromosomes, of both XY and ZW equivalents. Ponies, could have eight XYZ (EPU) phenotype determining chromosomes, for starters. (in which case, only by having a genetic defect, missing a chromosome completely, could you end up without a dominant trait, as the princesses seem to display.)

There could be epigenetic factors which determine phenotype, such as methylated histones from the parents, though those usually fade over a few generations.