How did you get into RP?

S008

Simply put, I haven't role-played ever and I was wondering what made you make up your minds about starting to RP/pony RP; whether you've RPed before you got into pony RP; and if you had concerns about your lack of experience or vocabulary when you first started. I ask the last one especially those of you with English only as a second or third language.

I've ran a few searches but my curiosity wasn't satisfied. If there was a thread about this beforehand, feel free to remove this one from all existence and redirect me.

You want to hear how I got into RP?

You see, I was raised on a rock farm...

... Ok, not really.

Actually, I started rping in some yahoo pokemon roleplay group two years ago. I had it ALL WRONG (so wrong). I accidentally wrote what is possibly the worst fanfic ever (Worse than satire) because nopony would reply. Well, I was upset about that and ran off to som "Deoxys Dash - The End is Near" site. I managed to save the dying site, and was banned shortly afterwards for not understanding how roleplay works (I used my one character in, like, 5 threads at a time) and killing my character without permission (wtf?!). Well, the site died shortly afterward. KAAAAAAARMAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I ended up joining another pokemon roleplay forum, where I started to get a tiny bit better. Then, I hosted my own. It lasted a few months, and it had a great community. It eventually died, despite the fact that we fought as hard as we could to keep it alive. Things happen, I guess. I stopped forum RPing then, and went on to rping on (don't laugh) ROBLOX. Two or three years later, I joined this site and posted this message.

And that's how Equestria was made!

For one, I still know little about how forum RPs work, although I do plan to get the hang of its rules - just to have the possibility to RP; to not fail miserably if it ever came to it; and because I like learning. : P

Hosting your own RP sounds like a dashing move to me (and so does RPing the trial and error way), but I guess it paid off in the end.

Wow. The first time I wrote the sentence above, I used a capital D in the word "dashing". >.> By the way, I did it again in the previous sentence as well.

Thanks for sharing!

I started just a couple years ago. I've been a fanfiction writer for years. One day, one of the friends I made writing fafiction decided to start a forum and invited me on board. Another friend of mine followed me there and he suggested we open an RP section. At first i was skeptical, but I tried it out and it was pretty fun.

And here I am now, doing the same thing only with ponies.

I started Roleplaying in a Facebook group that was made for Warriors series roleplaying. Basically, that's what it was for. We ended up with a bunch of different groups and Clans eventually. But, then everybody kind of started to fall away, and we just sort fell apart. I ended up just doing other things and just kind of stopped. So that's where it started. It was basically forum Roleplaying, and each topic was a different area. We also started up some other Roleplay groups on FB with the same group of people, like Vampires, school, wolves, horses, etc.

I started Roleplaying when I was... Something like 6-7 years old ago, my brothers got me into Warhammer Roleplaying. Later when I had internet I found one of the best RP at forum, it had a very very good community (But this community is a bit better ! And this is one of my fav forums too :3 ). Later in 12 years old, something like this I started to roleplay with friends at Warcraft III in maps DoBRP/SotDRP later I got into one of polish servers in NWN, later in NWN2. When I watched MLP FiM I just wanted to try RP as pony and found this forum :3.

About Your lack of experience/vocabulary, You ask about english yes? English isn't my primary language and this is my first forum but I don't feel with lack of vocabulary, the main problem is with English grammar as You can see from this post :).

I actually started off doing Sonic the Hedgehog roleplay back in *sigh* the Gamefaqs message boards. Eventually those of us who weren't idiots made our own little board for RP which lasted for at least a year, maybe two before it finally died due to inactivity. The RPs weren't exactly structured well and there was much powergaming and Mary-Sue-ishness going on, but ultimately it was fun.

I tried some tabletop gaming with some friends much later on. A Discworld GURPS game. It was okay, never really took off though; we only got through two sessions before it fell apart. I'd like to give tabletop another shot one day, maybe find some D&D players. I love D&D, both the settings and the rules, but I wouldn't want to just join a random group. Not where I live anyway ¬__¬ We were also gonna do some Transformers RP on a forum, but again, never got going. It was a shame, I was looking forward to it.

Cut to a good 5-6 years later and here I am, roleplaying for the first time in years. As little, colourful ponies.

And I'm loving it!

I started roleplaying when I was 16, so that's about 6 years ago. I was awful at first but then I quickly got better. I tend to play until the forum where I'm in dies, and then stops for a while until I want to roleplay again, then find another forum and play until it dies, and so on.

This is my very first english rp forum though. I was afraid of having an awful english at first, but it seems I'm ok.

I haven't RPed in a couple years. I mainly just did joke RPs with my friends but one day we all sat down and decided to do a serious RP on a now defunct message board. It started off well enough but then no one else would post their turns in the RP, so it just died off. I was pretty disappointed and haven't really RPed since then.

And strangely enough MLP is enough to make me consider trying RPing again. What a world indeed.

reenactors! I am one, and have bin for a looong time. gash fist time I did that I was ohh 12, now for txt done rp? VARY new! did it like two time 3 or 4 years a go, but finely jumped back in to that ship. :smug: But I pay D&D ever week on top of that, so i do a tone of RPing.

Now I need to go do a stagecoach robbery! :)

I'm truly suprised by the variety of RP backgrounds you all have mentioned.

I started just a couple years ago. I've been a fanfiction writer for years.

I envy you. : P

It indeed sounds as if participating in RP would be very similar to writing fan fiction. If you don't mind the question, do you find interacting with others partaking in forming the events of the RP the main charm of it, or rather that you can partly insert yourself into the story in the form of different characters with different personalities?

Simply put, do you enjoy RP as a read formed by several people, including yourself; or more as an experience or adventure from your characters' point of view?

For me, it's more of the first. It's a story composed by many people where I only have control of my character. It's the fact that its done with others that makes it interesting to me (and also why it's, in my opinion, more difficult than writing fanfiction).

My characters are completely separate entities from myself, so it's kind of hard for me to try and experience it through them. Of course I do try and think about things from their perspectives while writing them, so I suppose it at least partly goes for that way.

Yeah, I figured you'd be that way, being a writer yourself. I think I'm half-half, as I like to emphatize with the characters of a story (sometimes unintentionally) - not at all because they'd be similar to me but because I enjoy that feeling as a reader; but I also enjoy the way a story is built up and crafted.

I'm even certain I would enjoy taking part in the writing of an RP where I could work with a character almost freely and see the story "blossom" before my eyes over time.

But then again, I fear of doing something atrocious with the storyline or another person's character, or simply lacking the appropriate style.

Generally, are all participants allowed to progress the events (especially in the case of a not so lighthearted RP's serious happenings) or are there a chosen few for that who have already proven their abilities?

Don't worry, I'm not planning on assaulting you with a questionnaire. This one, however, is something that might vary from RP to RP.

Yeah, I figured you'd be that way, being a writer yourself. I think I'm half-half, as I like to emphatize with the characters of a story (sometimes unintentionally) - not at all because they'd be similar to me but because I enjoy that feeling as a reader; but I also enjoy the way a story is built up and crafted.

I'm even certain I would enjoy taking part in the writing of an RP where I could work with a character almost freely and see the story "blossom" before my eyes over time.

But then again, I fear of doing something atrocious with the storyline or another person's character, or simply lacking the appropriate style.

Generally, are all participants allowed to progress the events (especially in the case of a not so lighthearted RP's serious happenings) or are there a chosen few for that who have already proven their abilities?

Don't worry, I'm not planning on assaulting you with a questionnaire. This one, however, is something that might vary from RP to RP.

Don't worry! People really are okay with this, You can always PM people to ask if they want RP for You so You will test it out :). If You want, I can RP with You when Your app will be approved, I will not mind in these things :

We are all here to help eachother and have good time together :D.

There are definite limits on just what you can do with someone else's character in an RP. You do have to be careful with that. It's good to discuss things like that outside the RP through a PM or something. I find it best when performing a critical action involving my character and another in an RP to give the other players a chance to react rather than just doing it outright. For example, in one of my RPs here, my character Radiant Steel became seriously enraged at another player's character. My decision was to have her charge at and attack this other character. However, I cut off the RP post mid charge, allowing the other players a fair chance to interfere if they so chose (and they did).

So yeah, everyone can progress the RP, you just have to be careful not to do too much at once. And if you're unsure about something, talking to the other players through a PM or whatever is always appropriate.

I started RPing in Warcraft 3 through the many different custom games. I think LoaP was my favorite custom game mode. I switched over to RPing in World of Warcraft which I have been doing off and on for about 5 years. This is the first time that I have ever done any forum RP.

Hosting your own RP sounds like a dashing move to me (and so does RPing the trial and error way), but I guess it paid off in the end.

Trust me, I learned it the WRONG WAY. Just follow the examples others give you, and take *ALL* the advice you can get.

And owning a RP site isn't bad, it's just kinda hard to get members. :o

Don't worry! People really are okay with this, You can always PM people to ask if they want RP for You so You will test it out :D. If You want, I can RP with You when Your app will be approved, I will not mind in these things: [...]

Thank you for the offer, although it's farily probable that if I ever get approved, I'll just end up slipping into an open RP and hope that no one notices my lack of expertise and learn. That's how I tend to do things.

It's good to discuss things like that outside the RP through a PM or something. [...] in one of my RPs here, my character Radiant Steel became seriously enraged at another player's character. My decision was to have her charge at and attack this other character. However, I cut off the RP post mid charge, allowing the other players a fair chance to interfere if they so chose (and they did).

I noticed that some of the RPs here don't progress too quickly - maybe having to make a collective decision about the actions is also partially a reason for that. Or just everyone's busy doing something else.

I have to note that leaving the final say to others (and discussing outside of the RP) sounds like an feasible system and it also seems to help in connecting the messages to each other. By the way, for me, being able to observe the same scene through several characters' thoughts is a refreshment from the style of most books', which focus on the feelings of a single protagonist. This'll sound cheesy, but seeing it for the first time I find it amazing.

I started RPing in Warcraft 3 through the many different custom games.

Ooh, the editor and game allowed for so many possibilities, I even made a map for RP and storycrafting myself! Of course, it was very undeveloped, I mostly messed with the abilities to have a vide array of possibilities for the characters, since I preferred clear visual representation in RP games at that time.

Trust me, I learned it the WRONG WAY. Just follow the examples others give you, and take *ALL* the advice you can get.

And owning a RP site isn't bad, it's just kinda hard to get members. :D

One could also say "why make one, when you can join an already exsisting community?". <- I have a slight feeling that writing this period here was a mistake.

I guess some people are born to be leaders- err, admins. : P

hi hi

My friends and I used to play "Dungeons and Dragons," on the playground back in first grade, though it was basically running up and sliding down the slide/dragon's throat at the time. We eventually figured out how to play 1st edition rules. I guess ever since then, its been a hobby, but I've never forum roleplayed until this year.

I played DnD all of once. I didn't exactly like the game itself, but I loved the storytelling aspect of it. I started playing as many opened RPG video games as well as dice and sheet (no board) RPG loosely based off the DnD system. About a month or so ago I joined a forum RP group out of sheer boredom. Apparently I'm not half bad at it, and I enjoy it. That's how it all began :fondmemories:.