Colossal Luxury - RP Idea

Well I’ve been playing around with some ideas for a while now, and this is one of them that I think would have some potential if used. Hence I figured I might just ask away here.

The basic premise of the RP would be that your character(s) board a new, state of the art seaplane airliner built for transatlantic cruises. Let’s call it the “Colossus” for now. More ship than plane actually, with a full set of decks, promenades and rooms for the passengers. From there on it’s basically a daily life based thing, well rather holidays (except if the character would happen to work aboard).

So, if anypony has any interest in this, just let me know and I’ll work out some more detailed concept. :)

I’m open to both private or with a group.

Greetings,

Richt.

EDIT:

Well I figured I might give you some impression on the craft either way. So have some doodles.

Outside view of the airframe

airliner2.jpg

Possible "Marble Staircase", inside the left & right swimmer

staircase5.jpg

Well welcome to the forums then! I hope you enjoy your time here.

It's nice to see that you have some interest in this, so if you still do once you have a character approoved, just let me know here (Then again I'm not really sure if you need one approoved for these RPs here, with the new forum structure) :)

Anyhow, about the naming. No I'm not really sure, but much less because of that Titanic thing and much more because of "Colossus" not really sounding elegant or anything at all xD

Besides if I really wanted to make a Titanic refference it'd be called the Titan :P

This sounds like it could be a lot of fun! Count me in for sure. I even have an idea for a new OC that would be perfect for this kind of RP.

Glad to hear that ^^

Now you made me curious though, what kind of OC did you have in mind?

Reminds me of the Spruce Goose on a grander scale.

Or that parody episode of Tail Spin with the Spruce Moose.

Well actually there was a plane in Tailspin that fits this here more than the Spruce Moose (at least in the looking department, as I think it was the Moose that was equipped like a ship in the show), it was basically a parodied version of Bel Geddes' Airliner #4 (Which this here sort of is too .. it's basically just a scaled up version of the airliner, with an even more ridiculous amount of engines).

Ahhh ... good old nostalgia.

---

Now, since we have some interest in this I'll go ahead and start writing some more detailed stuff, and eventually some concept, in order for us to get this thing started up as soon as possible :)

my my! that ship... flying... thing. looks like it is full of rich pony's (and others)! Can't pass that up can ah? Must of all ah just want to toss Dusty in to some thing that well have him crying in his sleep. flying and water. too things he hats. Why not pull him in? :blah:

"Why do you hate me!"

hush, so ya you can say ah'm in for this... how if ah can get silver on it...

Amazing! Did you get your inspiration from the "Days of Future Past" site? There are some flying seaboat liners of similar layout. (such as this one)

I have been writing up a pulp era story (and eventual RP) with some of my super-heroic deer. The setting has sky-fort flying aircraft carriers inspired by this web site. :D

Amazing! Did you get your inspiration from the "Days of Future Past" site? There are some flying seaboat liners of similar layout. (such as this one)

I have been writing up a pulp era story (and eventual RP) with some of my super-heroic deer. The setting has sky-fort flying aircraft carriers inspired by this web site. :D

Omg, how did ah not notes that? :wail: Ah just love that junk~ Now ah HAVE to get in to this! *tosses bits at Von Richthoof*

And if they have some Atomic Cocktail's on her, ah well love you for all time.

Glad to hear that ^^

Now you made me curious though, what kind of OC did you have in mind?

I've had a maid pony floating around in my head for a while now but I didn't think she'd get much use, but a ship that size needs to be cleaned right? Or I could be cruel and throw Techno in as the maid.

HNNGH.

Count me in! This sounds like fun! c:

Alright will do.

I've had a maid pony floating around in my head for a while now but I didn't think she'd get much use, but a ship that size needs to be cleaned right? Or I could be cruel and throw Techno in as the maid.

Hmn yeah that sounds like a good idea actually. Cleaned a lot actually xD

But of course there's also other jobs aboard if you don't want to be cruel to Techno, I'm pretty sure there's something suitable, if you want to keep her in :P

Actually, no. I didn't even know that site existed up to now (but thanks for the link). All I did here was just to supersize the Bel Gaddes Airliner 4. Hence the even more ridiculous amout of engines, as previously stated somewhere around here xD

I actually have some other concepts as well, and a rather long one that features flying cities, but apart from that more or less ordinary aircraft, mainly props and zepplins.

my my! that ship... flying... thing. looks like it is full of rich pony's (and others)! Can't pass that up can ah? Must of all ah just want to toss Dusty in to some thing that well have him crying in his sleep. flying and water. too things he hats. Why not pull him in? :blah:

"Why do you hate me!"

hush, so ya you can say ah'm in for this... how if ah can get silver on it...

Well I'll count you in then ^^ Poor Dusty

----

Alright, that was more interest than I thought I would encounter ^^;

I'll get onto this asap, but as you know how it is with your average weeks you've got all the other stuff obscuring your creative process.

Of course if you have me some tips or ideas of your own to implement I'll gladly listen to you

ideas? videotron! Just add tron to a word and baam! it makes ever thing just feel... so more Future Past. But that is just me ah don't know what them your going for.

I think a good mix of the class of the steamers, and how the 60's think the Future well me may look nice. it's a good mix of class and gives it a more one of a kind feel.

Well about time for me to do that update on the concept. Now I figured we might need a bit of a more specific look on the plane's decks. So here you go, I know it's not that much, but I think it's enough to work with.

Furthermore I'm not quite sure on how to start with this one ^^; Should I just go ahead and write a post and we'll see from there?

-------

Auxilary Wings and Engine Compartments:

- High above everything else aboard the three auxilary wings tower. Large metal (The largest of them meassuring 180ft) constructs to hold the 38 engines that heave the behemoth out of the water and into the air. Inside the auxilary wings a small compartment for the engineers as well as the spare engines is located.

Passengers have no access to this area.

Cockpit Deck:

- Roughly 90ft above the ground lies the control room for the whole aircraft, furthermore the captain's quarters and the officer's rooms can be found there as well.

Because of its 45ft width, the huge glass front and the use of engine telegraphs, the room actually resembles the bridge of a ship more than it does any conventional cockpit found in smaller aircraft. Nonetheless the direct control of the giant still follows the basic control scheme seen in aviation. Namely a yoke and pedals, in this case provided for two seats at the very front of the cockpit.

Deck 8:

- Deck Eight is the highest deck that passengers have access to and one of three decks that expand all the way into the outer wing (~1000ft wide). Alongside with Deck Six it is furthermore one of the decks where most the passenger's cabins are located. Mostly in the wing sections, as the middle section is generally reserved for the public rooms.

The Colossus basically offers rooms in two different classes, first and second. The third class or the possibility to travel in the steerage are absent on this vessel. However in addition to the first and second class rooms there is also the possibility to travel in one of the royal suites. Both are built into the swimmers of the ship, and feature their own "balcony". All in all the aircraft carries room for roughly 1000 passengers.

The most remarkable features of Deck Eight however are the two, richly decorated, glass domes that hang majestically above either staircases located within the swimmers.

Promenade Deck:

-As the name suggests the Promenade Deck holds a large wooden floored promenade that goes along the whole wings full circle. Big windows on the leading edges of the wing allow for a maximal amount of light to shine trough and illuminate the course, as well as making for a great view on the outside world. Aside from that the deck holds the main restaurant of the vessel.

Finally the deck is also home to two bars, the Portside and the Aileron Bar. One, as the name says, located on far end of the port wing, the other one in the same location on the starboard wing.

Deck Six:

- Deck Six, like Deck Eight, holds the majority of the passenger's rooms. For the most part the second class rooms.

Deck Five:

- Deck Five is the only non-wing deck that only features cabins for the passengers. It is also where the decks start to split up because of their location in the swimmers. Hence there are a starboard and a port version to every deck from there on, depending on which staircase one descends.

Deck Four:

- Deck Four is where Passengers can find the baths and wellness facilities of the aircraft. White marble walls and pillars are a dead giveaway for this deck.

The two royal suites are also located here, sporting their own access to the Marble Staircases and their own veranda.

Boat Deck:

- The Boat Deck is the part of the aeroplane that carries the emergency equipment and lifeboats, furthermore there are two small seaplanes stored here as well. Aside from that Boat Deck is usually the main entry point for all the passengers, as the reception is located there as well. Lastly a big portion of the crew's quarters can be found here.

Main Fuel Storage & Cargo Deck:

- Below the waterline, in the very buttom areas of the swimmers two large halls are found. Both mainly there to store all the supplies for the flight, such as food or drinkables. Though these spaces are also reserved for the postal service as well as passengers who wish to take larger objects with themselves, i.e. vehicles.

Orlop Deck:

- The Orlop Deck is where most the wiring of the vessel come together. Basically it is nothing more than about 2ft of room just below the Cargo Deck.

------

Middle Section (All three wing-decks):

-The middle section is the main public place aboard the vessel. Here a large sun deck, a library, and even a ballroom can be found. Furthermore there are three buffets for breakfast and lunch.

• 1 month later...

I'd love to get in on this :3

Get my RP fix while my app is waiting to be reviewed.

I do have one question though:You said in an earlier post that there are other jobs on the ship? I'm sure a ship this size would have quite the large crew, but I was wondering if there were restrictions as far as crew goes? Aside from Captain or First Mate/Co-Pilot or however it works, I figure the helpings hands on deck would be the playable ones xD

Awesome! Though I must say, while it reminded me of Talespin too, it was the Titanium Turkey, not the Spruce Moose that I immediately thought of. I guess they got the idea for that from this Bel Geddes flying wing liner too..

Right, Titanium Turkey ... but yeah, in the end it all comes down to Bel Geddes liner.

I'd love to get in on this :3

Get my RP fix while my app is waiting to be reviewed.

I do have one question though:You said in an earlier post that there are other jobs on the ship? I'm sure a ship this size would have quite the large crew, but I was wondering if there were restrictions as far as crew goes? Aside from Captain or First Mate/Co-Pilot or however it works, I figure the helpings hands on deck would be the playable ones xD

Hmn to be honest I haven't really thought about this too much, but yeah, the main jobs I had in mind there were the rather smaller ones, and maybe the ones that you had some actual contact with the other players ... so not something like engineer in the engine room xD