Must fight back urge to weep...

CircePonyDemigoddess

I just now remembered that since my mom's computer died, all my fanfic WIPs are gone. I had more than one for other fandoms, but my most prized one was a MLP fanfic I was typing in the theme of Nightmare Night. It was the best work I had done literature-wise in years, and I can't get it back. I would re-type it, but it just wouldn't be the same if I couldn't get the words exactly right. All that effort for nothing...all because of a glitchy computer. *said in a Davy Jones-esque way* Damn you, Hewlett...PACKAAAARD!!!

Agreed with Sturmmann

My old laptop 'died' last year but I was able to take it to a local tech guy and he burned all of my files from the hard drive, including music and pictures, onto DVD-Rs so I could rip them to my new computer.

Plus, you should get like a cheap 1 Gig flashdrive for the future, just to put essential documents and other files onto it, and update it regularly. You never know when even a brand new computer will just decide to derp for no reason or catch a virus.

You'd have to be off your trolley to not have used one of the kajillion free cloud-storage solutions.

TBH, I don't trust cloud-storage for a whole lot of things. I have a terabyte HD I use for most of my files.

I just now remembered that since my mom's computer died, all my fanfic WIPs are gone. I had more than one for other fandoms, but my most prized one was a MLP fanfic I was typing in the theme of Nightmare Night. It was the best work I had done literature-wise in years, and I can't get it back. I would re-type it, but it just wouldn't be the same if I couldn't get the words exactly right. All that effort for nothing...all because of a glitchy computer. *said in a Davy Jones-esque way* Damn you, Hewlett...PACKAAAARD!!!

If the HDD itself isnt damaged you can recover them. You just need an "External HDD case" so you can access the drive over USB.

GoogleDocs is your friend. :-(

I'm a fan of DropBox myself, though I'm playing with Ubuntu One too... There's also Skydrive (MS)

And those are just the ones I know of off the top of my head...

TBH, I don't trust cloud-storage for a whole lot of things. I have a terabyte HD I use for most of my files.

Never use cloud as primary storage, but always use it as a backup for things you REALLY dont want to lose (and some, like Dropbox not only let you back up, but sync them across numerous PCs/smartphones/etc)

Define died. If your hard-drive is still good, you can pull it and recover your fanfics easy.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I've done this with a few computers that had bad power supplies, and saved a quite a few headaches for people who thought they'd lost all of their everything.

Oh noes :-(

And I thought it was bad when your browser crashes in the middle of typing a RP post...

Which is why I write all of my RP posts (or any long posts in general) in Notepad and copy/paste them into my browser after proofreading. :P

This is exactly what I was thinking. I've done this with a few computers that had bad power supplies, and saved a quite a few headaches for people who thought they'd lost all of their everything.

Which is why I write all of my RP posts (or any long posts in general) in Notepad and copy/paste them into my browser after proofreading. :P

I used to do that. But I decided it was much more of a thrill to live life on the edge, know what I'm sayin'? *puts shades on and lies on a cloud*

• Like 1

The only time I had a lost of data was in 1998, from then I just keep 2 or 3 redundant copies of anything (collected on old hard drives as original, and those backed up on newer external units) It's kinda lame owning 8 TB of data and just 1 TB of actual disk space, but I can say I still keep stuff like radio programs before the word podcast event existed. Or that weird screen saver I got on a pentium 2 from 1999 with flying toasters.

Anyways, I want to say I'm sorry with your lost, or lose, or loose...

• 2 weeks later...
I would re-type it, but it just wouldn't be the same

You are right, it wouldn't be the same; it would be better. Rewriting is better than revising. And the more often the better. If you want a good story, you need to write a lot of stories. If you rewrite it, don't try to remember it exactly, that would be wasting your time. Start with a favorite passage, and go from there. Then do it again. Then do it again. You have lost work, but you cannot lose the experience you gained in writing that work. You may find that this experience makes you a better writer overall.

You know, unless it was hard drive failure specifically, or you've already reformatted it, it would still be quite easy to get the data back off of it. (Even if you have, there are professional services that could probably pull it back from the drive itself.)

You should shoot me a PM with the specifics. *I earn my wages fixing computers, and I'm certain that whatever's happened to it, it can't be more horrific than what your average college computer lab user does on a daily basis. : P

*Edit: Not threatening to charge you, or anything. o-o I'll do it to save the fics!

• 2 weeks later...