They Took Away Our Scootaloo?

Astalakio

About Michelle Creber having to take down the awesome video that had Scootaloo's performance of 'Jingle Bells'. I'm not scare-mongering, but is this the latest case of Hasbro taking away our ponies? I mean, I can understand wanting to take down PonyArchive, but what's the harm in letting an innocent bit of festive cheer like that go unmolested? Do you think it's a retaliation of some sort after the admins refused to shut down PonyArchive?

I found this on Everfree Radio:

'Hey everyone, Socksy here with a bit of news for you all. Specifically, a reason as to why Michelle Creber’s Christmas video was taken down. We have received the following e-mail from the Crebers:

'Hey everyone,

We just wanted to let you know that we were requested to take Michelle's

Christmas video down until approved by Hasbro. So sorry for any

disappointment or confusion. In the meantime, thanks for all the nice

comments and if we do get the green light, we will certainly put it back up.

Best of the season, The Crebers''

It was also on EqD :/

Is it just me, or is Hasbro sendiing very mixed messages?

First they acknoledge Bronies

Next they attack Pony Archive

Then they hire somone specifically to handle "MLP in Pop Culture"

Now they're taking our Scootaloo (If this is the one I'm thinking of (where I want to say it was Mando started singing Jingle bells normally, then Scoot takes over and turns it into a rock ballad), I'm really P.O.d too, it was adorable!)

Like I said... Anyone else seeing mixed messages here?

Is it just me, or is Hasbro sendiing very mixed messages?

First they acknoledge Bronies

Then they hire somone specifically to handle "MLP in Pop Culture"

Now they're taking our Scootaloo (If this is the one I'm thinking of (where I want to say it was Mando started singing Jingle bells normally, then Scoot takes over and turns it into a rock ballad), I'm really P.O.d too, it was adorable!)

Like I said... Anyone else seeing mixed messages here?

That's the right video, yeah.

I'm not sure what to think anymore. I guess it doesn't matter, all we can do is hope that, if there are conflicting views within the company, the good guys win and things go back to normal.

If that's not the case... well, I'm sure we'll find out about it pretty soon.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall a post on ED that Applebloom's VA and Sweetybelle's VA also did something like this and it got taken down by Hasbro...?

I would not call that an attack at all. Hasbro has a right to protect what is theirs. With PonyArchive, they were providing direct downloads to episodes. Getting episodes for free could take away from iTunes sales NOW and DVD sales in the future. Not to mention, it's illegal. Yes, you can download from YouTube by certain means, but YouTube does not specifically endorse downloading from their site. Those videos that supposedly get taken down by "Hasbro" are probably just reporting trolls. I mean, it's EASY to find people who put up episodes. If Hasbro was serious, they could be gone in 10 seconds flat. Multiple uploads of each episode exist on YouTube.

Another thing... maybe Hasbro doesn't want anything to get out that could potentially be in a future episode. Heck, maybe what Michelle Creber posted was SPOILERS for something to come. It's like how the creator (and probably others working on the show) aren't allowed to read fanfiction because of legal reasons. Maybe it's not even Hasbro's fault, maybe it's something legal that they don't have control over.

I think you guys are being too hard on Hasbro, seriously. They let people have pony shops, making hats, shoes, necklaces, keychains, plushies, everything! They let the fans make cool stuff, when they could probably actually SUE, or at the very least cease and desist. What PonyArchive was ILLEGAL, does no one get that? Yes, illegal things go on on the internet all the time, I know that. But this was something that was very public; they weren't even trying to hide the fact that they were giving away downloads to episodes.

If Hasbro does not get revenue for this show, THE SHOW DOES NOT GO ON. Ratings are important, but so is money. Downloading episodes is not only illegal (yes, again, I want to stress this), it could cost Hasbro money from DVD sales later, and that's something they don't want.

Also, rather than just pulling PonyArchive no questions asked, they sent a letter and allowed the Bronies to take it down themselves, while still being able to keep the domain and anything else they had up there. It's likely that Hasbro could have contacted the correct parties and gotten the site totally pulled all of a sudden, but no, they went the nice way and the owners refused. Now everypony is mad at Hasbro for doing WHAT ANY OTHER COMPANY IN THEIR POSITION WOULD DO. They may have even been nicer about it (as mentioned above), but THEY are the ones to blame. Real love and tolerance Bronies.

• Like 4

I hate to sound like an apologist for corporate culture here, but Hasbro has a right to control access to what they produced. They don't license the show as an act of charity; it has to generate sales revenue for their toys and viewer ratings for the networks which air it. They realize good and well that their show has hit on a massive and unexpected vein of awesome, but they're still obligated from a business standpoint to oversee its availability.

Honestly, I think it's our duty as fans to endure a few commercials or pay-per-view iTunes nonsense... maybe even to buy a toy or two. It's putting food on the table of the folks that make this wonderful show, and it's giving the company who owns the rights to the series a very good reason to continue promoting it.

• Like 1

WOAH WOAH WOAH!

I was NOT trying to derail the topic like this! Nor was I trying to say anything about Hasbro's legalities on the Pony Archive issue (that's covered in it's own thread, I have several posts there)

My only point was that Hasbro is sending mixed messages, I was hoping people would stop to think about it and say "Maybe they're finding their footing, trying to balance the fans and the show/profits"

My only question of Legality comes from if Hasbro has the legal right to take down the videos that the VAs made that had nothing to do with the show (that is, were not written by Hasbro and were never used in the show or any associated promotional material) My personal view is this is no different than any of us on here doing the voice and singing, but with it being the official VA... ???

@ Weesh:

It wasnt actually a video (atleast what I saw) it had Mando start singing Jingle Bells, then after the first verse the music changed to rock and we hear Scootaloo take over and Mando is protesting "Scootaloo! Stop that! That's not how it goes!" It was ALL in-character as Scootaloo

Don't quote me on this one, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that the official VA's are legally bound to whoever produces the show via contracts that the company pays for. For example, the legal rights to Pokemon shifted companies years ago and the entire cast was changed because 4Kids didn't sell the original VA's contracts to the new company or something like that.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I just did a youtube search and the video's available on both Everfree-Radio's channel and Mando's channel

So go enjoy some adorable carol-hijacking!

Riveting topic, but one thing catches my eye. They aren't allowed to read fanfiction? That is hilarious, logical, but also completely insane at the same time. So, yeah, I didn't know that.

Magic the gathering designers are not to look at fan created cards for the same reason.

Not that I nessecarily approve of Hasbro taking down a lot of stuff, but, if I'm honest, them taking down Pony archive made sense, so I wasn't really annoyed about that. I haven't seen this video, so I guess I can't really say whether I think it makes sense or not.

um... *points up* I posted it like 2 above...