Is it true?!

FrankT

Ponies on DVD? That's debatable? :blah:

If you would like me to be technical, then it IS a bad thing.

However, ponies on Blu-ray is a good thing. A DVD's resolution doesn't go higher than that of a 480p Youtube video. (640x480)

so the quality on HD displays would be stretched, or have the black bars on the sides of the screen. (Because 640x480 is a 4:3 resolution) so not only would it be streched, but it wouldn't be 16:9. DVDs do not offer 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound, either. And DVDs aren't nearly as large as Blu-ray discs. A Blu-ray up to roughly 75gb of data. Whereas a DVD can hold up to 5gb of data. You could fit all of season one on a single Blu-ray disc, and have a good amount of room left. Plus, it would be 5.1 / 7.1 surround compatible, and be in stunning HD.

Ponies on DVD? NO.

Ponies on Blu-ray? YES YES YES YES YES! :D

• Like 1

Honestly, I could give a soggy snot rag about the difference between DVD and Blu-ray. As long as it's ponies on a screen and I can see it clearly, gimme.

Depending on your PC and TV, you can probably hook it up as a 2nd display. I've watched HD movies on my HD TV without issue in the past...

But I agree, glad to see DVDs being released, hopefully we'll get full seasons instead of 'theme' packs soon!

@ DashieInTheDark:

BluRay is fine and dandy if you can play it. Only BD player I've had was my PS3 (which I had to sell to pay the bills) and honestly I can think of very few friends of mine that have BD players, so really it's still not as wide of a demographic. Also you *can* do widescreen on a DVD, though I dont know how much more space(MB) it takes so it might not be an option for these... and personally I highly doubt they're going to do it widescreen anyway unless it's a lot cheeper not to convert it.

hi hi

I'm strongly considering writing them and requesting the seasons be released in full sets. I'm not sure how I would address such a letter though. I really should look into that. (If I do find who and where to send such a letter, I'll make sure to let everypony know so they can send requests too.)

I would write a letter when you figure it out. I want a DVD so much more than iTunes that I am waffling over the purchase of the first season. I've bought the second season on ITunes because I know that would be far too long a wait.

• 1 month later...

Hasbro would be releasing a real cash pony (haha) if they would make a season set geared toward the brony crowd. It can be done in a way that a parent buying it for their kids would get a good value out of it, and everyone else would be able to support the show and get some cool extras out of it. I know the producer who runs Shout Factory (the distributor of this DVD that's being talked about) posted a letter to the brony community highlighting the reasons why a season set will never happen -- most of them revolving around the fact that parents will only drop X number of dollars on a kids' DVD, and it's more lucrative to release episodes in chunks.

Unfortunately, that's a really outdated (and I might say ignorant) way of doing business. The demand is there to make a very strong release to a larger audience, but I don't think it will happen with Shout Factory at the reins.