A conundrum involving toys.

Kirby Krackle

So, here's the beginning of the situation: My wife does not really approve of pony things in the house. There is an embargo. No flying and no magi- oops, let me try again. Spend no money. Have nothing tangible. This rules out buying things and keeping them at work. This rules out gifts. This technically rules out writing fanfics on paper.

There's the current situation: I work at a Barnes and Noble, in the receiving department lately. Today, one of my bossmen brings down a return from an online order. It's a Twilight figure and comes with a glowing, music-playing hot air balloon. You probably know the one. It's approx. $13.00. With my store discount, it would be about 8 or 9.

The problem: My wife would kill me, despite the bargain.

What do, bronies?

Buy it. If she loves you, she'll accept what you want to buy and be a part of.

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. My boyfriend of 2 years was about the same way when I bought my first toy pony. He was angry that I had wasted my money, but gradually...he accepted it, and even started buying me ponies whenever he was at the store for $5. The toys are very cheap, and they're honestly very displayable. I have every single pony styled and set up on a shelf, and display my collection proudly.

It certainly isn't worth ruining your relationship, but it's honestly ridiculous for any single member of a relationship to be so....controlling. Stand up for yourself a little. :

Dont go and buy it without talking first. Just tell her 'Hey, i like it, it makes me happy, i understand we're not doing too well financially but it would really mean a lot to me to have this."

I would want to say 'remind her of the frivalous thing's she's purchased in the past and say you should be able too." but that's the kidna comment that ends up with divorce papers...

As Knight says, if she loves you,s he should accept it... just talk it out with her... tell her if she's uncomfortable with it, you won't have it out and about for all to see... jsut try to maek a deal with her about this...

If you can afford it, buy it!

Your wife really shouldn't have any say in what you do with the money YOU rightfully make.

It's your money, not hers to spend, so she shouldn't be in charge of what you do with it unless it somehow compromises the living situation for both of you (i.e. you're sharing rent, and 8 or 9 dollars could do your living situation damage). I can't see where her concern is unless that is the case.

A little luxury on a bargain like this should be a treat for you. If you can afford it, can still make rent and afford your essentials, buy that Twilight figure and enjoy it! :)

Ok first of all - I'M JELLY OF JASON AND KNIGHT'S SHELVES@!!!!! Waaaaa!!!! :scream:

Second - My ex-wife disapproved of Sci Fi and Yugioh. :twisted: My girlfriend supports all my hobbies. :D

It's so easy to get lost in loving another person that we forget what do WE want out of life. What do you want? Do something for YOU today. You are worth it.

NOW! This is very easy to say and to type - but you have a life and a relationship at stake here! Yes I would probably give my left arm for that Twilight Sparkle figure at that price but your twilight sparkle toy isn't going to keep you warm on a cold night.

Which is why you buy the throw, blanket and matching pillow set!!! ;-)

• Like 2

Shes told me on occasion, she's glad I'm a brony rather than... say... a jock, or ghetto. She's getting a sweet deal here. A fandom that embraces love and tolerance. I just wish she could... get it. She's watched episodes and has enjoyed them. But she cannot grasp the... how can I put this... militant devotion that the show inspires in its viewers. Celestia knows I've talked to her about this. A lot.

I avoid this problem by not being married. :blah:

Playfulness aside, I can't add anything else that the others haven't already said, and can only show my support that she'll understand that a few things, limited to one area of the house (so it doesn't become MLP: FIM the house) shouldn't hurt any.

She's watched episodes and has enjoyed them. But she cannot grasp the... how can I put this... militant devotion that the show inspires in its viewers.

I hear ya on this one. I know a lot of people like this (including my own father - he sees it as just "something to watch if it's on" (though he finally admits to loving Fluttershy)) Same way with my ex, she is more-or-less indifferent to them.

Back on-topic...

Hang it from your rear-view mirror! (lol j/k) If you guys have a philosophy of any buying anything, there's not a lot you can do, though you *can* buy it and keep it in your car till you convince her. I wouldnt let it slip through my paws if I were you... (I have no idea which one this is, but at the same time, Twi/Spike in balloon is awesome! I'm gonna get one to hand from the ceiling with flying Dash and Fluttershy)

Ok first of all - I'M JELLY OF JASON AND KNIGHT'S SHELVES@!!!!! Waaaaa!!!! :scream:

Second - My ex-wife disapproved of Sci Fi and Yugioh. :twisted: My girlfriend supports all my hobbies. :D

It's so easy to get lost in loving another person that we forget what do WE want out of life. What do you want? Do something for YOU today. You are worth it.

NOW! This is very easy to say and to type - but you have a life and a relationship at stake here! Yes I would probably give my left arm for that Twilight Sparkle figure at that price but your twilight sparkle toy isn't going to keep you warm on a cold night.

Which is why you buy the throw, blanket and matching pillow set!!! ;-)

I have that throw, and thankies for the jellies on my collection. I worked hard on it. Now I'm working on gettin' some dups. So far, I have seconds of Rarity, Twix2 and Plum Sweet. ....not that that is at all relevant to this....I still say you should buy the toy. It's a cheap thing. I'm sure she spends more money on....hair product or something.

I have to disagree with a lot of the people here and say that if your wife is very much adamant about "no ponies" and you can't talk her out of it, don't just go ahead and purchase the toy. A toy is definitely not worth making your spouse feel disrespected and/or like her opinions are being ignored :/ I do agree that it's not a particularly fair rule and I'm not sure what the reasoning behind it is, but sometimes you have to choose the living human being you're living with over the ponies.

(That's a pretty sweet deal though and if you can talk to her about this and get her to agree to it GO FOR IT!!!)

Sure, but expressly rebelling against the wishes of your spouse doesn't sound harmless to me.

I'd say that's a different issue.

I mean, what is wrong with buying a toy. Heck, as was mentioned, he earns the money, he should be able to spend a portion on himself when possible. Who cares what it is (y'know, so long as it's not something like a Playboy magazine--I mean, he's married). I guess I just don't get why this is even an issue in the first place. It's not about money, it's just about a nonsensical rule.