On Pony Ages...

patchcore

mm, we have a topic on this, but that was an old topic even back when I joined XD

we know fluttershy is a year older than Pinkie

I'd place the cakes at around 30 in human years since they have kids

the mane six are younger, but old enough to live on their own, so I'd place them maybe early 20s?

I'd guess the cmc are in the 7-13 range

I'd estimate the mane 6 to be about 16-18, if you were to parallel the maturity levels instead of ACTUAL age. I heard theories that Granny Smith is actually 300 years old or something, just because of the time it would have taken to get Ponville up and running in its current state. I personally find that untrue, but it just shows how much age can differ in the show.

Okay, so there is some debate going on about what order the ponies go in as far as age. Open discussion about your theories on ages.

Well, for starters, we know as confirmed in an episode that Fluttershy is a year older than Pinkie Pie.

The thing is, horses are typically grown up by the time they reach four years old, but can live to be up to thirty. So during those four years, there can be a lot of ponies that look and act differently physically and maturity wise, but are still very close in age.

As we saw in The Cutie Mark Chronicles, Fluttershy was at her awkward growth spurt stage in life. Does this mean she's older than the other ponies? Maybe.

Rainbow Dash said in Call of the Cutie that she was first in her class to get her Cutie Mark. As we saw in The Cutie Mark Chronicles, Hoops (or as I sometimes call him, Basketball Butt), already has his mark, meaning that he must be older than Rainbow Dash. He may be around the same age as Fluttershy, and thus be in her class. This also gives him more reason to make fun of her for not having her mark yet.

Pinkie Pie acts very excitable and child-like, and she also works at Sugarcube Corner rather than owning her own business. This probably means that she is the youngest of the group.

Rainbow Dash has a carefree and sometimes lazy attitude. She also seems independent, as she has her own cloud castle, and is sometimes overconfident in her abilities. However, she is also still insecure about some things, like making a good impression and being the best as what she's good at. This is demonstrated in Sonic Rainboom. So I consider her to be the second youngest.

So Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, and Rarity are left.

I think that Rarity is the oldest, but it still remains that Fluttershy could be as well. Rarity owns and runs her own business, and refers to herself as a mare on occasion through the series. (Though this could just be Rarity trying to act slightly older than she really is.) Fluttershy does not own a business because that obviously just isn't the type of pony she is.

I'm going to guess that Twilight is the third oldest. She has significant magical ability, and has a vast knowledge of the world around her. Princess Celestia seems to rely on her to relay the news of anything significant going on in Ponyville. Also, while Twilight is still her student, she is no longer under intensive private study with the Princess, showing that she has grown both physically and magically. She can now practice and learn magic on her own, and under the tutelage of the Princess, has learned to control her power.

Now comes Applejack. She seems to have a lot of farm responsibilities, but perhaps that is more out of necessity. We see no parental figure other than Granny Smith in The Cutie Mark Chronicles, which means that no light has been shed as to where her and Big Macintosh's parents are. Now, maybe you're thinking they could've dead. I considered this for a moment, and then realized that there was no Apple Bloom in the new episode. This leads me to believe that she was not born yet, but, this is neither confirmed nor denied, so there is room for my error.

It seems that no one takes care of the farm except for Applejack and Big Macintosh. The only other members of the Apple family that we've seen (that I can recall) that live in Ponyville are Granny Smith and Apple Bloom. Granny Smith needs a new hip, which AJ mentioned in The Ticket Master?. So Applejack works hard because it's kind of her destiny to take care of the farm, and because her family needs the money. It seems to be the '(sort of) young member of the family takes on extra responsibility to help out the family' scenario. Anyway, Applejack is fourth oldest in my book.

Also, what you have to understand is that Equestria is a totally different culture. It doesn't seem uncommon for high school aged ponies to strike out on their own and even get careers. No one has to worry about being tricked or scammed, because that just doesn't happen. They can look for someone to take them on as an apprentice, and go for it. Or they can buy a building and make a restaurant out of it, without even having to pass health code because there is none. You wanna do it? DO IT! There are no limits, you don't have to go to college or study for 5 years. If you can do it, you CAN do it.

For some reason, I've always just imagined that Rarity and Fluttershy are the oldest.

I'd say they're both like 18, which would place Pinkie Pie at 17 because she's a year younger than Fluttershy. (That sort of is a setback to my theory though because I don't actually see Pinkie Pie as being that old.) I think Applejack would also be 17 and RD and Twilight would be 16. That's just my opinion. :P

I've always assumed that the CMC are around 10 or 11.

Tales analysis is really good and precise.

I'd personally Place the mane cast between 19-23 (in Human years) seeing in how they act in certain occasions. I see Pinkie as a childish charakter but not as a too young charakter as she and Fluttershy are only 1 year apart in age and I wouldn't think the others are more then 3 years apart in total. Rarity is quite keen on the success of her buisiness Applejack, Twighlight and Fluttershy often act quite responsible and adult like but still seem to miss some crucial experiences in life. If you compare that with our Human life I guess you would meet people with that kind of attitude towards life, experience and acting most likely in the age group of young adults and only really rarely in a group of age 16-18.

The Cutie mark crusaders would possibly be around 12-14 (taking the Cutie mark as a metaphor for puperty that would also be quite fitting)

Given the explanation on Pony growth by Tales I guess the Cutiemark crusaders would be around 3-4 and the Mane cast about 8-9ish ? :unsure:

Between 19-21, young adults. Most of them live alone and have some sort of job (Like Rarity). Like the post above said, "Anywhere between 12-17." That may be slighty younger then I would approve. It is also hard to guess a ponies age because of the lifespan of a real pony, and the exact age of which you may take a job.

Yeah. I see them as very late teens up to mid twenties. Their maturity levels are simply lowered to that of younger teens for the sake of the show.

They're definitely adults though. I like to think Fluttershy and Rarity are the oldest and Twilight and Dash are the youngest, with Pinkie and AJ somewhere in the middle.

I place the CMC and other filly/colt characters at about the 10-12 age range if not younger. Big Mac and Cheerilee are a few years older than the mane six, more late twenties. The Cakes are in their mid-late thirties.

It makes sense that the mane cast, according to Lauren Faust, has an age/maturity level of 12-17. First since ponies typically live to thirty, that would be middle age. Also, given that the target demographic is 8-12, it makes sense the ponies are near that age or slightly older so kids could look up to them like an older friend or sister.

I'm going to agree that rarity seems the oldest and most mature (discounting her bouts of Drama, which would place her in a younger age bracket) I think AJ is the same age or close to rarity, considering how responcible she is; basically running the whole farm all by herself (on atleast 1 occasion COMPLETELY by herself!) Fluttershy would be up in the same area too, considering how well she cares for the animals.

As for pinkie, Dash, and Twilight... It's extremely hard to put an age on them, Twilight still suffers from teenage angst often, Dash acts like a HS Football Jock, and Pinkie is, well Pinkie... With her sudden mood shifts, her crazy actions, etc, it's very hard to place an age on her... I know some adults in their late 30s who still act like her...

The CMC I firmly beleive are around 8. If we really pushed it I'd say 10. I'm not too keen on the whole 'cutie mark = puberty' thing, because that just raises more questions than it answers in my mind... though if that is the case I guess 10-12. Of them I think Scoot is the oldest, simply because she seems the larges and strongest (though given how genetics can be, she could just as easily be the youngest) followed by Apple Bloom, and Sweety Belle bringing up the rear. (though this is such a minor difference compared to the Mane 6 that it's VERY hard to pin down for me)

Also just for sake of argument, untill we have an even that can pid down ages better, we have no idea how long the ponies live. After all, Celestia and luna are over 1000 years old, but luna matured in what was likely only a year or so from a filly to a mare (between her return in 102 and her reappearance in Nightmare Night in S2) For all we know that could actually be the average pony lifespan (unlikely but no proof of it)

But that just reffers to emotional age so their physical ages are still open for speculation, I also don't really think that we can apply the way that Ponies in our world mature and age to the way that Equestrians mature and age since they are very different (for all we know they could even have longer lifespans than Humans do)

I already answered in the older one but I think that the age gap between the eldest and youngest of the Mane 6 is at most a few years and that Applejack is the eldest (I remember her mentioning in Call of the Cutie that she was the last Pony in her class to get her Cutie Mark which suggests that she got it at a relatively late age) then Fluttershy, then Rarity (roughly the same age as Fluttershy with just a few months separating them), then Twilight, Pinkie and Rainbow dash (I'm not sure exactly what the order would be, but Pinkie is about a year younger than Fluttershy and about the same age as Rainbow Dash, also Rainbow is one of if not the youngest since she mentions being the first in her class to earn her Cutie Mark, which suggests that she got it at a relatively young age)

Then the Cutie Mark Crusaders are probably between 9 and 12, maybe a bit older

• 2 years later...

Since I've heard that only alcoholic cider fizzes, I'd put the Mane 6 over the 21 year range. In human years. I say this because all of the Mane 6 from what I've seen drank the cider in "Super Cider Squeezy 6000". Then again in Equestria Girls AJ delivered Fizzy Apple Cider. This creates a large argument. And I'd put the Cutie Mark Crusaders between 10-15. Not sure why I chose 15 but it sounded right I guess.

Since I've heard that only alcoholic cider fizzes, I'd put the Mane 6 over the 21 year range. In human years. I say this because all of the Mane 6 from what I've seen drank the cider in "Super Cider Squeezy 6000". Then again in Equestria Girls AJ delivered Fizzy Apple Cider. This creates a large argument. And I'd put the Cutie Mark Crusaders between 10-15. Not sure why I chose 15 but it sounded right I guess.

There's some interesting arguments on the cider front - while *usually* only alcoholic cider fizzes there are a few circumstances where non-alcoholic cider can fizz, and it's KNOWN that they put that in there specifically to be ambiguous (especially since it seems to make dash an outright alcoholic given her cravings for it and would explain all her crashing)

Also, I dont remember if it was fanon or canon but I seem to recall somone somewhere saying Dash was supposed to be 16... Along the lines of "I cant cite it" I also recall that Dash is the youngest of the M6 and that Twilight's studies were equivolent to college, so... take all that as you will..

Also, quite a necrothread, over a year! x_x

Edit: Correction, over TWO years! O_O

Yes, a two year necropost. Thank you. While not against board rules, necroposting is generally frowned upon. I understand if you really, really, really wanted to weigh in on this, but please be aware of how old the most recent post on a thread is when considering posting in it.

As for the actual content, since this is a children's show, it's safe to assume it's non-alcoholic cider (and for the sake of WoE threads, it's non-alcoholic). Also, there are apple sodas: carbonated apple drinks. They would fizz, just like any other soda, so the show's version of apple cider is probably closer to apple soda.

As for the actual content, since this is a children's show, it's safe to assume it's non-alcoholic cider (and for the sake of WoE threads, it's non-alcoholic). Also, there are apple sodas: carbonated apple drinks. They would fizz, just like any other soda, so the show's version of apple cider is probably closer to apple soda.

Eh, AJ said it was fresh iirc, which also implies non-fermented, and the 'hiss' at the end implied it might have been pressurized/carbonated, that's the argument for it being non-alchoholic. Though one of the writers iirc actually said it was left up to the viewer to make their own decision - they left it ambiguous on purpose for the sake of the bronies.

We cannot base age on an alcoholic bevarage, I mean, up to 2014 january the first, the legal drinking age of light alcoholic drinks was 16 here (Now 18). I think it's save to say they're around 16-25 given the circumstances. But then again, that's my opinion, and unless we get some good proof on what age they are (The cake of Rainbow's birthday doesn't count, I mean, it's probably just decoration), we'll never know for sure.