Also, what kind of book is that if someone like Rainbow Dash can read it in one day?

While the scale suggests otherwise, I suspect it's meant to be an "airport novel" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AirportNovel), a novel written to be cheap, relatively short, and full of enough action, immediately off the start, to keep the reader interested. Stuff like Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt books come to mind.

• Like 1

Also, was anypony else disappointed that the obligatory Indiana Jones reference was missing?

Every time there's an adventurer that wears a hat, and they have to outrun a closing door, they MUST slide under the door, lose the hat, and grab it last minute. It was missing here, sadly.

• Like 3

I'll make a debate: Technology is completely broken on this show, where they have EKGs (the hospital machine that beep-beeps), but use fireflies as lanterns. And I blame this specifically on the loss of Lauren Faust, who would fight with her staff over issues like these.

• Like 1

I was out all day and I just watched the episode on my DVD player.

I have to admit, after reading the initial ep description, I thought it wasn't going to be a good one.

I WAS SO WRONG!!!!

Leave it to the writers of MLP FiM to turn what could've been a sappy, preachy 'run of the mill' plot and make it FUNNY and EXCITING!

Daring Do ROCKS!!!!

Someone's GOT to app for her! (But since she's a fictional character in the cartoon, can Daring Do BE apped as a mane RP char?)

LOVED the way Rainbow Dash tried to keep her friends from finding out about her new love of reading, and the chase scene at the hospital was AWESOMELY HILARIOUS!!!!

This episode was AMAZING!!!!

One of the best of Season 2 by far!!!

:D:D:D:D

Before launching into the debate, I just noticed something.

In the episode (time code 07:37, give or take) just as Daring Do is standing up, she groans, and yet her mouth is voicing something. Anyone good at lipreading enough to read it? It looks like she's cursing to me.

I'll make a debate: Technology is completely broken on this show, where they have EKGs (the hospital machine that beep-beeps), but use fireflies as lanterns. And I blame this specifically on the loss of Lauren Faust, who would fight with her staff over issues like these.

All we can do is maintain some kind of "period" technological system incorporated with magic for the RP as best we can. I know its annoying as heck.

hi hi

Dessa, while you may be right about some of the technology stuff regarding Faust... Consider this: The Apple Family with honorary family members would have won the race against the Flim Flam brothers from the previous episode, so that kind of makes the down to earth methods they use the advanced technology in this case.

Nopony in the show seems very bothered by the juxtaposition of technology, so perhaps its not really a big deal for them? (For me, its more of an issue of theme, and what kind of response different things provoke in people.)

hi hi

Dessa, while you may be right about some of the technology stuff regarding Faust... Consider this: The Apple Family with honorary family members would have won the race against the Flim Flam brothers from the previous episode, so that kind of makes the down to earth methods they use the advanced technology in this case.

Nopony in the show seems very bothered by the juxtaposition of technology, so perhaps its not really a big deal for them? (For me, its more of an issue of theme, and what kind of response different things provoke in people.)

All fine and good until there's a labor shortage. A single pony could operate the SSCS6000 and produce more than 4 ponies using taditional methods.

Even modern day, if you put enough people on a task, they can outpace many machines.

All we can do is maintain some kind of "period" technological system incorporated with magic for the RP as best we can. I know its annoying as heck.

Yeah, the way the board handles things is pretty dece, all things considered.

I laughed when Dash "put out" the lantern. I personally think the series would be very boring if it took its canon too seriously. It is a cartoon after all, and a large portion of the whimsy that makes it special comes from hospitals being technologically advanced in one scene, and firefly lamp gags the next.

• Like 1

Well.... this episode... WAS SO COOL!!! I loved the Daring Do sequences, they seemed so Indiana Jones like.

And overall, it does seem like Rainbow Dash would think that she would be an egghead if she reads a book. But I can bet you there are athletes that read books too, like Rainbow Dash.

You know, this whole reading episode makes me wonder what would happen if Rainbow Dash got her hands on "The Hunger Games". ....WHAT?!?! It's actually a good book. It really sucks you in. Literally, I really felt the scars and burns and the sickness 8/

I laughed when Dash "put out" the lantern. I personally think the series would be very boring if it took its canon too seriously. It is a cartoon after all, and a large portion of the whimsy that makes it special comes from hospitals being technologically advanced in one scene, and firefly lamp gags the next.

YES, YES AND A GAZILLION TIMES YES

also:

my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-organization.jpg

• Like 1

Well.... this episode... WAS SO COOL!!! I loved the Daring Do sequences, they seemed so Indiana Jones like.

And overall, it does seem like Rainbow Dash would think that she would be an egghead if she reads a book. But I can bet you there are athletes that read books too, like Rainbow Dash.

You know, this whole reading episode makes me wonder what would happen if Rainbow Dash got her hands on "The Hunger Games". ....WHAT?!?! It's actually a good book. It really sucks you in. Literally, I really felt the scars and burns and the sickness 8/

I didn't like the Hunger Games at all. :/

YES, YES AND A GAZILLION TIMES YES

also:

my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-organization.jpg

WE're talkin' about twilight here, I'm amazed she coudl even FIND the book... woudl ahve made a cute gag

wilight: "Oh no I dont see book one"

Dash: "WWWWHHHHAAAAAAT!!!"

Twilight: "Oh wait, here it is, it got put on the wrong shelf"

Dash: "whew"

Anyway... my thoughts...

Hilarious, though I'm very dissapointed in Dash. VERY dissapointed... Twilight would have been so much easier to burgle! (lol) seriously though, I think it was a bit of a bad choice, considering how honest she usually is (brutally so at times...) Otherwise... MORE Achronisms! Ugh! X-ray machines, Heart monitors, and fireflies... (Of course this can be explained away as "Magic is cheep, technology is expensive") Laughed at the re-color of Dash for Daring Do, but then again I was actually expecting to see Dash completely self-insert herself into the story (literally seeing Dash wearing the outfit running around the jungle) so I think it was a nice compromise. Also WE SAW INSIDE DASH'S HOUSE!!! (and ironically it's not that different from the fan portrayal) Though it does seem odd to me that so far we've seen _2_ beds for dash (the other one being in "swarm of the century") Though I suppose with a mansion that big it's not too surprising she has multiple beds... (how the heck she affords that place on her presumably low weather-pony salary I'll never figure out, even rarity who we *know* is rolling in bits (considering how much fashion designer make) doesn't have a mansion!)

Completely sidetracked, but Can any pony artist venture a guess as the design on Dash's bedspread? I first thought it was her cutiemark but it is too wispy at the side near the books (styalized version of her cutiemark maybe?)

Also, I have to laugh at this, but as amazing as Daring was SHE FORGOT THE SANDBAG!!! That's a required part of all tomb-raiders kits! lol

@Ashton, I too was expecting the sandbag. Also a random fear that would hinder the hero. But I suppose they didn't want to milk the Indiana Jones reference.

Oh man, First I was thinking "Spider! Oh no she must hate spiders!" then it was the cobras "Oh no she must be terrified of Snakes!" then the quicksand "Oh no, I guess she must be terrified of drowning!" and ultimately I was dissapointed, she wasnt scared of anything... kinda dissapoints me and shoves her a little closer to Mary Sue territroy...

Completely sidetracked, but Can any pony artist venture a guess as the design on Dash's bedspread? I first thought it was her cutiemark but it is too wispy at the side near the books (styalized version of her cutiemark maybe?)

Here is an image I found:

830px-S2E16Insiderainbow%27house.png