Anyone else expecting(dreading) a "Very Special Episode"?

Ashton

I've noticed recently there were a couple background nods to the possibility of their being alcohol in equestria. This got me to thinking and dreading the possibility of a "Very Special Episode" about the dangers of Drug/Alcohol Abuse... I know that it's mainly children who watch this and it's important to send them the message, but these are almost never done lightly and are groaningly avelicious. Is anyone else expecting and/or dreading a possible upcoming drug/alcohol episode? (I just pray it's not Dash and Steroids, I really don't want to believe she'd ever even consider something like that... T_T)

I don't see it happening due to the age of the target audience being low enough to not have any exposure to alcohol and the dangers of it.

Should it happen, however, I have faith that the writers could do it properly.

I just worry because I was thinking about it lately and it's such a PERFECT setup for Dash - wanting to be "the Best" and some contest coming up, feeling the competition is pretty stiff, she could think she needs something to give her an 'edge' --- It feels so likely, and also so very very very wrong... (on the other paw, they could go with this and Dash refuse, saying she's proud because she's who she is because it's all her own body and her own work that made her strong, not drugs)

Eh...I would definitely not see drug use as something that this show can touch on. Alcohol, while not very likely, I could see happening. Drugs no...especially because Rainbow Dash IS already extremely skilled. If it was going to happen, set-up wise, I could see Rainbow Dash getting into a race of some kind, then a callback to Sonic Rainboom where its clear she cracks under pressure, learns about a mysterious, unnamed drink that calms the nerves, which she then ends up needing for almost every event she participates in (maybe some kind of triathlon or something).

However, I just think the whole concept of drug/alcohol abuse is a tad too grimdark for the world of ponies. And while subjects like death can be touched effectively (like the Sesame Street episode that did it), something like this is definitely something that adults would have to address on their own time with their child, IMO.

• Like 1

If it was going to happen, set-up wise, I could see Rainbow Dash getting into a race of some kind, then a callback to Sonic Rainboom where its clear she cracks under pressure, learns about a mysterious, unnamed drink that calms the nerves, which she then ends up needing for almost every event she participates in (maybe some kind of triathlon or something).

this kinda reminds me of that generic story line where a character feels like they need a lucky charm, then the friends switch it out with a fake one during the competition

so if you consider a good luck charm as a form of drug? :P

While drugs and alcohol are totally out of the scope of the target audience, I think the writers could hit a bigger lesson with addiction itself. Maybe one of the Mane Six will pick up an unhealthy hobby or habit and become obsessed with it; she'll end up giving up a lot of other stuff -- even friendship. This is a good lesson to learn, and I would not be surprised if we see it later this season, or next season.

• Like 2

No, just no, remember "Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue!"? Such subjects should be left untouched from shows like My Little Pony, let's make sure it's kept to the magic of friendship...

Oh gawd, somone else remembers that horror! That thing actually gave me nightmares as a cub!

I'm keeping my claws crossed that such an abomination Never happens again, especially not with MLP.

O_O Sonic doing a harassment commercial? After all the times he's sexually harassed Sally? It breaks my mind (didn't watch it, if it's like CASTTR I don't want to...)

I could honestly see the ponies doing TV spots though like the old 80s shows had at the end about things like "always lock your doors when alone" or "only use the stove when a grown-up is there to help you" or "in an emergancy, call X agency" etc...

Eh...I would definitely not see drug use as something that this show can touch on. Alcohol, while not very likely, I could see happening. Drugs no...especially because Rainbow Dash IS already extremely skilled. If it was going to happen, set-up wise, I could see Rainbow Dash getting into a race of some kind, then a callback to Sonic Rainboom where its clear she cracks under pressure, learns about a mysterious, unnamed drink that calms the nerves, which she then ends up needing for almost every event she participates in (maybe some kind of triathlon or something).

I dont think they'd do it like that, if not handled perfectly, they could portray Alcohol in a positive light (and honestly, as something used in very low doses to calm nerves and relax muscles there is nothing wrong with it, there have even been studies that prove that a beer or two a week is GOOD for you!) I think if they did alcohol it would be somone like Gilda slipping into the punch at one of pinkie's parties and there being some very bad censequences... (though off the top of my head I cant think of a single character who woudl likely be an angry drunk except rarity and I think it would just make her drama even more over-the-top...)

On that same note, did anyone else feel like Cider was visually portrayed oddly similar to beer last week? It didnt have the same effect (well minus that 1 pony who looked a little tipsy after drinking it, but I think it was poorly portrayed joy)

However, I just think the whole concept of drug/alcohol abuse is a tad too grimdark for the world of ponies. And while subjects like death can be touched effectively (like the Sesame Street episode that did it), something like this is definitely something that adults would have to address on their own time with their child, IMO.

Sesame Street addressed death!? Wow Henson pushed the envelope on what was appropriate, though I have to admit it is an important subject and he did seem to really care about kids.

EDIT:

Ack, couble-post, I hit reply instead of edit *derp*

No, just no, remember "Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue!"? Such subjects should be left untouched from shows like My Little Pony, let's make sure it's kept to the magic of friendship...

Yes but that is only one (mind you poor example) of a show dealing with drugs

I have seen drugs dealt with better in other cartoons such as Power Puff Girls

Yes but that is only one (mind you poor example) of a show dealing with drugs

I have seen drugs dealt with better in other cartoons such as Power Puff Girls

I think one of the best ones I saw when I was younger was on a more-or-less Sitcom called "Dinosaurs" (which is what triggered the Steriods/Dash worry) though at this point in time I cant remember how well it was really handled since this was decades ago...

PPG was a Lauren Faust work, that only reinforces my worries about it appearing in MLP... -_-

Sesame Street addressed death!? Wow Henson pushed the envelope on what was appropriate, though I have to admit it is an important subject and he did seem to really care about kids.

It wasn't planned, AFAIK, but one of the older human cast members, and a prominent one, named Mr. Hooper passed away, and it was decided that instead of letting his character fade into obscurity the best way to honour his legacy was to address it in a lesson.

Note that this episode happened way before I ever was born, so I'm going off what information I can find. The only cartoon I personally saw addressing tough issues was Arthur.

While drugs and alcohol are totally out of the scope of the target audience, I think the writers could hit a bigger lesson with addiction itself. Maybe one of the Mane Six will pick up an unhealthy hobby or habit and become obsessed with it; she'll end up giving up a lot of other stuff -- even friendship. This is a good lesson to learn, and I would not be surprised if we see it later this season, or next season.

I think that is a great idea, but now I can't get the idea of a pony intervention out of my head.

Oh yes, I agree. I can see this.

I could honestly see the ponies doing TV spots though like the old 80s shows had at the end about things like "always lock your doors when alone" or "only use the stove when a grown-up is there to help you" or "in an emergancy, call X agency" etc...

Except for the fact that ponies don't have locks on their doors, stoves, or phones.

I dont think they'd do it like that, if not handled perfectly, they could portray Alcohol in a positive light (and honestly, as something used in very low doses to calm nerves and relax muscles there is nothing wrong with it, there have even been studies that prove that a beer or two a week is GOOD for you!)

Parents would be up in arms if any kids show portrayed alcohol as a GOOD thing.

The only cartoon I personally saw addressing tough issues was Arthur.

I remember the episode where they taught kids about the "The Bleep", which is the 'swear bleep' we've all heard on some TV shows... which probably aren't meant for kids anyway. But, Arthur addressed it! There aren't 14 seasons and counting for nothing.

Except for the fact that ponies don't have locks on their doors, stoves, or phones.

They have locks on some of their doors, I cant name the episode but I remember somebody locking a door and another couldn't get it (maybe it was back in S1 with Bridle Gossip?) and they do have stoves (we've seen them in Rarity's home (in Sisterhooves social) and in Sugarcube corner (multiple times). Phones, no they dont have those, but that didnt stop it from being addressed in other fantasy "kids" series back in the 80s...

Parents would be up in arms if any kids show portrayed alcohol as a GOOD thing.

This is exactly my point. If they portrayed alcohol as Sturmmann said - a drink that calms and relaxes you - and they didnt go insane where "oh 1 beer and your completely smashed" then it would portray it in a good light, which they would _NOT_ want. I can only see it addressed as something bad that was done like a 'bad' character spiking the punch at a party or something... (or it being treated as makign everyone a 'happy drunk' and the character loving the 'high' theyre getting from it, when really, is making alcohol into drugs)

I remember the episode where they taught kids about the "The Bleep", which is the 'swear bleep' we've all heard on some TV shows... which probably aren't meant for kids anyway. But, Arthur addressed it! There aren't 14 seasons and counting for nothing.

Arthur came along after I'd long stopped watching ETV (except Wishbone, I watched that evne though I was technically older than the target audience because it was so cute) I only remember a few snatches I've seen from when I went to get the oil changed in my car or something and they had a TV on the right channel at the right time for it to show, but I have heard a lot of good things about it and what little I have seen it does look like a good solid series for teaching kids.

If I had cable, I would still watch Arthur. I tried to watch it every weekday (after I found out it was on) when I was visiting my uncle for three weeks. Wishbone is excellent as well. (We had an antenna on our TV for awhile that got some channels, one being PBS. Wishbone had long since stopped airing (I hadn't seen it since I was a kid), but one day the kids turned on the channel and there it was again. I was surprised, but happy.)

It wasn't planned, AFAIK, but one of the older human cast members, and a prominent one, named Mr. Hooper passed away, and it was decided that instead of letting his character fade into obscurity the best way to honour his legacy was to address it in a lesson.

Yes i remember that well

You see in the pre red furry annoyance days(Elmo as you younger folks know him) there was a character named Mr. Hooper played by

Will Lee

who died in 1982 and they had a episode called "Farewell, Mr. Hooper" where they acknowledged his death, though did not show it.

Here is a huge piece of TV history right here:

http://www.dailymoti...iss-you-mr_news

Also wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Mr._Hooper

They could always remake "Escape From Katrina"....Well think about it, Katrina was using slave labour to power a machine to maintain her addiction to a potion that made her powerful but had a negative impact on her personality (and for those who have seen the piece from CR, there actually was a song about how Katrina used to be, unfortunately it wasn't included in most releases but the full version is on youtube) and once she stopped taking the potion she lost the extrapower it gave her but she returned to her old self

Hmm, well as for Ashton's idea of Rainbow Dash hearing about something that could improve her performance could be handled well if it's a spell or potion that would increase her speed/energy for a time but then deciding against it after hearing that it can have negative side effects and deciding that it wouldn't be the same if she didn't win on her own. Then during the competition there could be somepony that she's really been worried about facing that turns out to have been using the spell/potion/whatever it is and it wears off too quickly and it turns out that it causes you to be exhaused after it wears off because you use a huge amount of energy in a short period of time

Actually Dinosaurs had two anti-drug episodes, one where Robby tried taking the equivilent of steroids because he thought a girl would be interested in him if her were muscular but it caused him to be a jerk and grow thorns (until his friend stopped him taking then and the effects wore off). The other had a plant that initially caused the consumer to be giddy, but then had negative side effects (actually if they had an anti-drug episode like that it would be hilarious, I'd love to see two characters singing and dancing a parody of "Most Unususal Day" and at the end Pinkie could break the forth wall and tell people that they shouldn't take drugs because they lead to preachy T.V. specials like the one they just acted in) I have the first half of the series on DVD, they actually handled it in a really fun way and commented in the end on how other shows aren't always as lucky as they were making this episode (It's on youtube and the episode is called "A New Leaf")

For alchohol one really good idea would probably only be done as a fan-made work with several characters doing an intervention for Berry Punch

Another one that could be good is an energy drink comes out (or Twilight discovers a formula) that increases energy and focus, but one pony dosen't try it and finds out that it has side effects perhaps making the consumer's behaviour the opposite of what it usually is (not the way they did in "Return Of Harmony" more Fluttershy enjoying attention, Pinkie Pie being lethargic, Rarity having some sort messy hobby or being really relaxed, Rainbow Dash being neurotic, Applejack being a germaphobe, Twilight having trouble focusing, of course they probably wouldn't all be effected at once) then after the effects have been discovered which ever characters are unaffected or brought out of the effect work together to gather and dispose of all the bottles of the drink and create an antidote to instantly return the drinker to normal. Meanwhile the entire town is going through withdrawl and has formed a mob to get the energy drink they're then tricked into drinking the antidote and everything returns to normal