Name Dropping

weesh

I try to be a nice neighbor to the others in my apt complex, and sometimes I can tell that the people I am speaking with have forgotten my name.

What is the best way to name drop yourself to decrease the awkwardness?

Once I managed to get a friend to call me my name in front of one of my neighbors, and every once in a while I can pull off a third person "What were you thinking weesh?!"

But surely there is an easier way?

Help me out.

ah, I get this problem a lot too ._. how I got around it was developing a habit of speaking in third person. I assume that probably wouldn't work for you though XD

Well, if you wanna keep a strong relationship with your neighbors, you simply gotta interact with them more. Eventually you'll get into a conversation with them once and if they're polite enough they might ask you a quick "Oh, btw, I'm bad with names, what's your name again?".

Or you could maybe ask them a question like that, and they'll have to ask you back in response.

Or you could be openly awkward on purpose and slide a paper below their door saying: "Weesh is watching." :lol:

Honestly, I just go with whatever people call me. Don't know how this became a habit, but it just happened one day and I just rolled with it.

Lets see, so far I've been called... Josh, James, John, Juan, Julio, Jane (*shrug*), Jesus, Ricardo, Joseph, Paco, Pepe, Ruben...

These are the most common ones and I'm almost certain these individuals think that is my actual name.

I do though, every now and then, drop into the third person tactic that has been mentioned here.

If I forget someone's name, I'll say like "Hey, you have a neat name! How do you spell it?" That can backfire, though, if they have like a three letter name. (And it has!)

For your problem, Weesh, simple is best. Ask them if they remember what your name is, if it's obvious they don't remember. If they don't, tell them what it is, maybe give them some background information on it -- or a comparison to another well-known name so they can make a mental connection.

I've forgotten a person's name here and there and interacted with them for even weeks sometimes. Horribly awkward, haha, to just say "Hey" alone when they'd say "Hi DosEquus*!"

*Substituted for real name.

I usually ask a mutual friend in secret or wait for it to pop up in conversation.

I have that issue sometimes when I am in uniform and there's a name tag right there in their face... I'll never understand it.

But you could a sign that says "home of (insert name here)" on your door or something like that....

Oh man that triggered an idea.

Right now the buzzer at the front of the building for my apt doesn't have my name on it. I've been meaning to add it for a year but now I have another reason.

I try to be a nice neighbor to the others in my apt complex, and sometimes I can tell that the people I am speaking with have forgotten my name.

What is the best way to name drop yourself to decrease the awkwardness?

Once I managed to get a friend to call me my name in front of one of my neighbors, and every once in a while I can pull off a third person "What were you thinking weesh?!"

But surely there is an easier way?

Help me out.

Ever tried visiting them weekly? Or at least 2/3 times a week? Because that can increase their remembrance of your name. The more you visit and do conversations, the better they'll be knowing you.

Ever tried visiting them weekly? Or at least 2/3 times a week? Because that can increase their remembrance of your name. The more you visit and do conversations, the better they'll be knowing you.

I see them with some frequency, but if they don't remember my name now, showing up more often and not saying my name isn't going to help...

I see them with some frequency, but if they don't remember my name now, showing up more often and not saying my name isn't going to help...

I didn't mean it like that. I meant socializing, not popping in to just say hello or anything.

But besides, they will remember your name easily in sometime. Just not now.

Few questions, are they very busy with work in daily life? If so, it is possible their minds are a bit filled up with work or something.

If not, I'll ask another, a bit silly though but anyways; Do they have a bit of a memory problem?

Last question; Do you remember their names?