A possible new trend?

I thought about this a little while ago. What if perhaps other franchises pick up on the charm and overall success of MLP FiM, and learn from them? For example, what if Barbie was to have a reboot, and give character quality to all of Barbie's friends, have Ken be something other than just a bland boy toy, and even have episodes dedicated to him and HIS friends? Would you watch said show, and do you think it would affect the MLP franchise at all?

I honestly would like to see some potential in another rebooted girl's franchise (Strawberry Shortcake needs to be rebooted QUICK :eek:) , as well as franchises that have similar charm to FiM.

On a sidenote, sorry if the title seems a bit misleading I used 'trend' for a lack of a bettor word. '^^

Barbie has had a lot of different spin-off movies and movie series... I don't think it's going to get any better.

Strawberry Shortcake recently had two reboots, so that's not going to happen.

You saw what happened with Pound Puppies (or you didn't, but I did).

Or Winnie the Pooh. How many must I name?

We got so lucky with FiM. G3 and G3.5 JUST preceded it, and then they did ANOTHER reboot... possibly similar to what happened with Strawberry Shortcake. Except they made FiM really good.

I think the charm of MLP comes from the fact that it's a based in a fictional fantasy world with non-human characters, as opposed to real people in real settings. While the show dabbles in realism at some points, the silly, bright fantasy of the show is what draws me in. A real world setting would seem bland in comparison.

• Like 3

I'm open to other properties based on girl's toys. I know for some people there's a barrier there, but I've personally never been put off by girlyness. :)

The thing is that the quality really has to be there. FIM's strength is its quality, creativity and watchability. I can see the possibility of other properties being rebooted and elevated to the quality of FIM, but for a lot of them it would require considerable more creativity and effort to make them so watchable.

So while anything is possible, I don't expect it will happen any time soon, not when the target audience can be effectively entertained with far less.

While possible, I see this as unlikely to be honest. Tales make a good point, as FiM is exceptionally good, even for a normal cartoon. There were many factors there Faust put into the show that helped to make it be what it is, but I'm unsure of if another spectacular resurrection could even happen at this point.

The reason why is that there's already an explosively popular girls show with a ridiculous fandom out there, and it would overshadow the new reboot. Thus, the new fandom COULD get a bit of a jolt if it were to be done, but I doubt that much could happen.

It would certainly be interesting to see if this COULD happen, but I fear that there might be unpleasant lines drawn between the bonies and the "new faction" if it were to happen. Sure, we're known for love and toleration, but what about the new ones to the scene? Not just the other fandom, but the new bronies who don't get the "love and toleration" code, or the bronies who are highly defensive about FiM?

Even so, overall quality of shows could use a boost. Cartoons have definitely crashed in recent days, but it's refreshing to have good ones like FiM.

if people like mlp because it's in a fictional world, I could see them liking a high quality reboot of strawberry shortcake. they're tiny little people the size of berries :l I'm sure that could easily be spun into something great if the effort was put in.

as for me, I'd probably say yes, but unless the fandom is as amazing as the FiM fandom, I wouldn't be super dedicated to it. probably watch an episode here or there, maybe add a picture of it to my huge desktop wallpaper folder :l

You saw what happened with Pound Puppies (or you didn't, but I did).

I love the Pound Puppies reboot! I wish more bronies put more recognition into it.

Adding something to the subject, I don't think there would be any social barrier between bronies and any new similar fandom. If anything, I think the majority would embrace it, and be well associated with it.

if people like mlp because it's in a fictional world, I could see them liking a high quality reboot of strawberry shortcake. they're tiny little people the size of berries :l I'm sure that could easily be spun into something great if the effort was put in.

Actually the Strawberry Shortcake crew is probably around 3-4 feet high. Not quite adult sized in our world, but adult sized in Strawberry land.

If they were as small as berries... how do you explain the Berrykins?

SSC_sky03.png

Not to mention that they all eat the fruits their based on, so...

Do not ask me how I know these things.

I dunno. So far they took two series that I HATED when I as growing up. The Thundercats and MLP. Shows I wouldn't touch as a little kid...And they really did something great with 'em. Wonder what other shows they could bring back and ACTUALLY make something fun with...Hmmmm. :shifty:

And the He-Man series that was done a few years ago wasn't that bad. Shame it didn't last long.

Actually the Strawberry Shortcake crew is probably around 3-4 feet high. Not quite adult sized in our world, but adult sized in Strawberry land.

If they were as small as berries... how do you explain the Berrykins?

SSC_sky03.png

Do not ask me how I know these things.

but D:

aren't all the characters aside from the main group and the berrykins bugs? and aren't there like huge blades of grass and huge flowers and stuff? cherry jam keeps her trailer thing parked in the grass, doesn't she? and are those not tiny pebbles in the background of that image? I always thought the berrykins were the size of small berries, and the main characters were the size of large fully ripe berries D: maybe my memory is having a huge derp right now XD

I would look for pictures, but I can't post from my ds anyways :\

aren't all the characters aside from the main group and the berrykins bugs? and aren't there like huge blades of grass and huge flowers and stuff? cherry jam keeps her trailer thing parked in the grass, doesn't she? and are those not tiny pebbles in the background of that image? I always thought the berrykins were the size of small berries, and the main characters were the size of large fully ripe berries D: maybe my memory is having a huge derp right now XD

Shhh... Shhh... I am an internet Ninja. Also I have sisters. As I added to my post above (too late), they EAT berries... Also, while the flowers may be huge, the grass is not... similar to the Chocolate Room in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory or something.

• Like 1

Shhh... Shhh... I am an internet Ninja. Also I have sisters. As I added to my post above (too late), they EAT berries... Also, while the flowers may be huge, the grass is not... similar to the Chocolate Room in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory or something.

*can't watch whatever that video is because on 3ds*

I'm gonna take a risk (by not looking for proof first) and going with DrMaxwell on this :l cartoon proportions and such. I think they're intended to be tiny, but since it IS a kid's show, they don't keep it consistent.

Imma look tomorrow when I'm on a computer :l if I'm wrong on this, I'm going to be so sad because I actually love the new strawberry shortcake XD

to my original argument- berrykins and bug people exist. with effort it can be made into a cool world :l

I'm a fan of animation, and of fantasy/Sci-Fi. If a fantasy/Sci-Fi series appears that is good, I would have no problem watching it (though to convince me it's good might take some work - FiM took over a year, and before that it took me untill after the show was canned to watch Invader Zim, and though I like others such as "The Fairly Odd Parents" or "Grim Adventures of Bill and Mandy" they're too childish to interest me enough to actively seek them out)

On a note above, I saw the bumper for the new PoundPuppies and was curious about it, in part because I (likely wrongly) assumed a comment about "Shelter 17" was a reference to "city 17" from Half-Life 2, but really that bumper was enough to tell me it was rediculous (of course I'd have said the same about FiM a year ago) and I've not seen anyone extoling on it's virtues, so I never checked it out.

Also, somone mentioned the new Thundercats - I was wiating for the season to end since I was told it was serialized, but I got hooked on FiM before that so I never saw it, but I plan to when my FiM addiction addles a bit, likely in the summer or something. I've heard VERY mixed reviews, but a lot that say it's more "Anime-like" which is enough to pique my interest... (one person even went so far as to say its NOT aimed at kids...?)

Also, somone mentioned the new Thundercats - I was wiating for the season to end since I was told it was serialized, but I got hooked on FiM before that so I never saw it, but I plan to when my FiM addiction addles a bit, likely in the summer or something. I've heard VERY mixed reviews, but a lot that say it's more "Anime-like" which is enough to pique my interest... (one person even went so far as to say its NOT aimed at kids...?)

Oooh! I'm a Someone now! Wooh! ;-) I've enjoyed it so far. It's the toon I WOULD HAVE loved when I was a kid. Don't want to ruin it for you, but it's alot of fun. You'll probably see a proper season 1 DVD of this before you see one for MLP.

Oooh! I'm a Someone now! Wooh! ;-) I've enjoyed it so far. It's the toon I WOULD HAVE loved when I was a kid. Don't want to ruin it for you, but it's alot of fun. You'll probably see a proper season 1 DVD of this before you see one for MLP.

I'd prefer you DONT spoil it for me :D though I do ahve to ask, is it (1) serialized, and (2) is it really aimed at an older audience or is is just well-drawn kiddy fare?

I'd prefer you DONT spoil it for me :D though I do ahve to ask, is it (1) serialized, and (2) is it really aimed at an older audience or is is just well-drawn kiddy fare?

It's basically one just really long story. So I guess it's serialized. If that's what you mean. If reminds me of MLP in a way. They took out all the crap that made the previous versions unwatchable and made it cool. And like MLP, the creators are very fan friendly. They have blogs and whatnot and encourage fans to chat it up with 'em. And 2..It's suitable for teens. There is violence, but not the bloody kind. People do die. On screen.

:l

yep yep, definitely cartoon proportions. I've been waiting all day to check this, so I'm not gonna just let it go. and by that I mean I just want to post my findings ._.

Untitled-3.png?t=1330554423

that's a huge strawberry bush there. and the grass in the background is huge too.

Untitled2.png?t=1330554423

and some huge popcorn and bug people :l

but there's also lots of shorts of them eating berries, so it's obviously very inconsistent. but it it WERE to be made consistent, along with high quality writing and more fantasy stuffs, I think it would be great.

• Like 1