The Hunger Games

Solaria

I have not seen the movie, but I loved the books... until I finished the series. After reading the Inheritance Cycle before that, that's two series in a row now that have left me somewhat disappointed.

I have not seen the movie, but I loved the books... until I finished the series. After reading the Inheritance Cycle before that, that's two series in a row now that have left me somewhat disappointed.

You should totally check out the Eragon movie! Hooves down one of the worst book to movie adaptions I've ever seen. It's a sin against anything with eyeballs and enough brain cells to watch it.

I think the Hunger Games could have easily done without its two sequels and maybe the first book could have been a bit longer to tie it up.

You should totally check out the Eragon movie! Hooves down one of the worst book to movie adaptions I've ever seen. It's a sin against anything with eyeballs and enough brain cells to watch it.

I heard Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief was a pretty bad adaptation too.

And look, you can get two crappy adaptions in one set!

72919_3651129195474_1191819244_3553779_1802786164_n.jpg

• Like 1

*cowers under the weight of unfulfilled expectations and shattered literary dreams*

Why, modern day? Why? And I've heard such claims, Rose. I won't be going anywhere near that movie. And I agree whole-heartedly on the fact that the first Hunger Games could have stood alone and been great if polished a little.

Alright, somebody finish this sentence for me:

"If you hated Battle Royal, you will think Hunger Games is..."

Modify as necessary. I keep pushing people away because of this comparison.

Less hilariously violent?

Really, though, they're different movies. They share a similar plot point (which, let's face it, is just Lord of the Flies meets Roman Gladiator battles. It's not like there isn't a historical precedent for putting a bunch of people in an arena and letting them kill each other for entertainment. The Romans even CALLED it Battle Royal. And I love the movie Battle Royale, but it really isn't that novel of a concept if you look at actual human history, which is why I find this setup so plausible), but the characters and universe they inhabit are ENTIRELY different. Hunger Games is really way more about one character and her reaction to everything and everyone around her in a horrible situation, rather than a commentary on a group of people can become dehumanized. There are elements of that, but really it's about one girl who is actually a relatively well-rounded character, at least in the books. Look on the first page under my spoiler, I compare them in more detail.

THUNDERDOME.

Less hilariously violent?...

Huh.

I thought maybe the answer would convince me to give it a shot, but it didn't.

I'm going to need to find at least one person who hated Battle Royal tell me to give hunger games a shot before I take the plunge...

I really only had two problems with the movie

1. They made Rue black. This is kind of minor but I got the impression from the book that she is suppose to look very similar to Prim. It takes away from that if the person is a different race.

2. The riot in the district should not have happened. It is too extreme too soon. Its going to have to be addressed why the capital didn't crack down harder early on. I liked it alot more in the book with the subtle gesture showing that unity in the districts was possible.

Other then those two issues I was happy with it. The entire thing does feel like it was sped up compared to the book, but thats what happens in movie adaptions. They can't afford to show Katniss wandering around searching for water or spending a few days in a cave because that would be boring

I really only had two problems with the movie

1. They made Rue black. This is kind of minor but I got the impression from the book that she is suppose to look very similar to Prim. It takes away from that if the person is a different race.

This makes me mad for many reasons (regarding the emotional identification with people who are of other race or lack thereof), but I am not going to rant about it here because it's not the time or place.

I am just going to point out that you didn't read carefully enough.

Rue is clearly stated not looking like blonde haired, blue-eyed Prim. And I quote: "Most hauntingly , a twelve year old girl from District 11. She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that she's very like Prim in size and demeanor." (page 45 in the paperback edition)

She's clearly African-Panemian.

Weesh, it's by no means a perfect or brilliant work, but in TONE is much closer to The Giver than Battle Royale.

• Like 3

It was.

I tried about 100 pages of the first Percy Jackson book and gave up, so I can't say I was a fan of the story itself.

I hate to say it, but the whole Rue thing seemed like a cantrip to create a brief emotional attachment in the viewer before cutting it off. I still cried anyway, lol.

Anyway....

I finally saw this movie last weekend (the 14th of April). I kinda liked it, but above all, it kind of moved a little fast for me. Maybe it's because I wasn't really paying attention....?

And above all, what ticked me off most was my brother complaining about how the Cornicopia was supposed to be gold and it was silverish in the movie. Maybe it was less expensive or something? He's just making a big deal over nothing

I cried even harder when Rue died in the movie than when I did while I was reading the book. It was probably because it was dark in the theater :/

• 1 month later...

I saw the movie today because my sister is a fan, and I went to see it with her.

Wow.

I'd have walked out of the theater if not for her. It is terribly offensive. The kind of movie that makes you feel guilty that your money is padding the box office stats.

I saw the movie today because my sister is a fan, and I went to see it with her.

Wow.

I'd have walked out of the theater if not for her. It is terribly offensive. The kind of movie that makes you feel guilty that your money is padding the box office stats.

What are the reasons? It's not like you to say you don't like something without giving a good reason.

I do agree it was a bit quick, but there is quite a bit of story to tell. Not looking forward to the sequel movies as I felt those two books weakened the story of the first book.

I liked it a bit, but it needed work.

The way we are introduced to things like Tracker Jackers. Instead of going with what Katniss is thinking (like in the book), they have people that host the Games talk about it.

President Snow.

Rue is actually true to the book.

The scene with the four backpacks.

Dislikes:

It feels like the cameraman is having a seizure whenever anything action-y happens.

Rue, Prim, Gale, and Cinna aren't as talked about in the movie.

Some scenes are just plain boring, myself (and many others, judging by comments here and other places) just lost interest in the cave scene.