Why did Twilight need a Cloud Walking spell?

Ashton

A little fridge logic that hit me...

We've seen inside Rainbow's home, there's stuff that's OBVIOUSLY not made of clouds (nightstand, daring-do books, I seem to remember a rug) which means pegasai clouds can support normal 'earth' materials, so why would anyone need magic to enter a pegasai's home or even cloudsdale?

Due to the fact that as RD stated: Only Pegasi can WALK on clouds. In translation they are the only kind of Equine that is able to move around on the clouds and as far as I'm aware they are also the only Equine that is allowed to even lay/stand on them with out magic, save for pinkie who breaks all the rules anyway.

I hope this helps!

My theory is that the furniture and other objects in Cloudsdale that don't look like they're expressly made from clouds are derived from a light or cloud-like material. Then again, this could also explain why random objects tend to fall on Twilight.

• Like 1

An example:

Try throwing a soap dish on water surface, and it'll float.

After that, try walking on the surface yourself.

My theory is that the furniture and other objects in Cloudsdale that don't look like they're expressly made from clouds are derived from a light or cloud-like material. Then again, this could also explain why random objects tend to fall on Twilight.

Random things falling... Funny. Does that mean Celestia "missed her step" once? :D

• Like 1

One thing I noticed in the Sonic Rainboom ep was that the construction worker pegasi that gawked at Rarity dropped a jackhammer. It only fell through the cloud a few seconds after the pegasus let go. My theory is that pegasus constructed items will stay on the clouds once complete. After all, I don't think that pegasi would make cloud homes/cities if they had to go to a unicorn to get all of the furnishings and decorations enchanted. That would be extraordinarily expensive and time consuming for pegasi and unicorn alike; and it was hinted in Hearth's Warming Eve that the pegasi lived in cloud cities in the pre-classical era and they definitely weren't on the greatest of terms with the unicorns.

This kind of sympathetic magic would also explain why a pegasus drawn chariot stays directly behind the pegasi pulling it instead of dangling underneath them.

There's one big flaw in this... so all of the Daring-Do books that Dash was reading at the end of RIAW were transcribed onto clouds before she took them home? looked like she just grabbed a normal one from twilight and flew up there...

The surface tention idea is great, except, it relies on a larger surface-area:weight ratio than most furniture (or the books) have, though one might bend it a little to say that it works for inanimate objects in equestria

I'm personally liking the ambiant magic idea, except it seems to only last when the pegasus is present (as with the wagons) which means as soon as one leaves his or her home, everything in it that's not cloud would fall (unless ontological inertia is involved)

my best guess is that pegasai can, with enough effort, enchant items so they remain on clouds, or, can enchant the clouds themselves so they support weight (which again negates the need of cloudwalking spells)

don't you need to walk on clouds whenever you're outdoors in cloudsdale? .-. I don't have anything to add about furniture, but whenever ponies land on the ground outdoors, a puff of clouds appear

EDIT: derp, I missed the point of the argument XD never mind me. *goes off to hide*

Pegasus enchanting? I doubt that. As it would mean direct usage of magic.

But I'll provide one sentence, that I was presented during some consultations concerning my second OC (which I removed later on). It was about special talent, which was connected with clouds.

That's ... a neat theory, but ... in our world. It really doesn't work that way... admittedly, this is Equestria, not Earth.

I agreed back then, that trying to explain Equestrias' oddities with Earth rules, is a foals task.

There's one big flaw in this... so all of the Daring-Do books that Dash was reading at the end of RIAW were transcribed onto clouds before she took them home? looked like she just grabbed a normal one from twilight and flew up there...

The surface tention idea is great, except, it relies on a larger surface-area:weight ratio than most furniture (or the books) have, though one might bend it a little to say that it works for inanimate objects in equestria

I'm personally liking the ambiant magic idea, except it seems to only last when the pegasus is present (as with the wagons) which means as soon as one leaves his or her home, everything in it that's not cloud would fall (unless ontological inertia is involved)

my best guess is that pegasai can, with enough effort, enchant items so they remain on clouds, or, can enchant the clouds themselves so they support weight (which again negates the need of cloudwalking spells)

A book weighs less than a pony, so that could be it.

Or it's a cartoon and we're looking a bit too hard into the how or why, as it is a fantasy world. We accept things that don't make sense (even though we know better), which is part of the illusion and makes it fun to watch.

You have to consider what Lauren Faust said, how Pegasus ponies do have their own form of magic (IE being in tune with the sky).

So there's some magic there that allows them to cloudwalk. They also can control clouds so they can mold it to their needs (like cloud buildings, furniture, etc. Maybe there's even sme pegasus enchantment like a cloudwalking spell that allows objects like the Daring Do book to not fall through the clouds.

hi hi

I think its pretty obvious that some amount of pegasus architecture is solid enough for non-pegasus things to rest on top of.

• The water from Ponyville Reservoir didn't fall straight through, even though it was a years supply.

• Twilight Sparkle's balloon comes to a rest on top of a cloud, even though it is solid enough to hold non-pegasi ponies in its basket.

• Even Fluttershy, one of the weakest flyers around was able to pull a cart full of frogs.

This leads me to believe that while Earth Ponies and Unicorns can't walk on clouds, clouds are not the only neutrally buoyant building material available. I suspect that those other materials are simply more rare, and thus used sparingly.

Two words : Pegasus Furniture. Maybe they have some way of imbuing their stuff with cloud-floating properties. In fact that seems entirely likely, otherwise cloudsdale just wouldn't really be a place to live.

Fascinating question.

Our ground is not as solid and firm as you might think. A great deal of effort is put into spreading out the weight from load-bearing columns. While a concrete slab that doesn't support building weight might be 6" thick, concrete grade beams might be 3' thick and 3' wide just for a two story commercial structure. They are pretty amazing, but they are a pain to build around.

Theory: With a bit of care, engineering and effort, clouds can be buffed up by pegasus to support other physical objects. They wouldn't do it everywhere because it would be way too much work and it isn't necessary.

It would be interesting to see if Twi could stand on pegasus-built or pegasus magic imbued furniture and floors without her spell, which just might be a loose copy of normal pegasus magic anyway. (BTW, why does canterlot spell-check keep red-flagging pegasus, alicorn and unicorn as incorrect words? ;) )

It would be interesting to see if Twi could stand on pegasus-built or pegasus magic imbued furniture and floors without her spell...

<groan>

It just keeps getting deeper!

Perhaps it depends on how much weight the clouds were designed to sustain? They might have reinforced the clouds enough to hold up a table plus a little more for whatever additional weight they expect it to hold. Depending on the workmanship and care, TS might not push the support past the safety factor.

Perhaps it depends on how much weight the clouds were designed to sustain? They might have reinforced the clouds enough to hold up a table plus a little more for whatever additional weight they expect it to hold. Depending on the workmanship and care, TS might not push the support past the safety factor.

Not to mention twilight is accident prone. Even if it was safe, she'd still probably get injured somehow. I could see pinkie do it in all of her physics defying glory though.

While earth ponies may have some innate abilities having to do with the ground it is possible pegasus ponies have the same with clouds. I think it is reasonable to believe they could build their homes with supports that would allow heavier objects to rest. Even if the objects themselves are not enchanted in some way the clouds below them could be prepared to bear the weight. If the strength below clouds is not consistent a pony walking may fall through even if some of the clouds could hold her

Fascinating question.

Our ground is not as solid and firm as you might think. A great deal of effort is put into spreading out the weight from load-bearing columns. While a concrete slab that doesn't support building weight might be 6" thick, concrete grade beams might be 3' thick and 3' wide just for a two story commercial structure. They are pretty amazing, but they are a pain to build around.

Theory: With a bit of care, engineering and effort, clouds can be buffed up by pegasus to support other physical objects. They wouldn't do it everywhere because it would be way too much work and it isn't necessary.

I think this is the best explanation since it doesnt violate the 'pegasai cant cast spells' concept.

<groan>

lol, Are you new here? ;) do you honestly expect this site not to nit-pick every possibly little incident?

If the strength below clouds is not consistent a pony walking may fall through even if some of the clouds could hold her

Lol, talk about 'weak floorboards' of course if your in a pegasus home or city, it stands to reason there's a pegasus there to catch you if you fall, so...

lol, Are you new here? ;-) do you honestly expect this site not to nit-pick every possibly little incident?

The groan was not for nitpicking, but for the initial discovery of an issue that turns if from simple to complicated. Elegance is important, and I had satisfied myself that there was a beautiful explanation for the problem. It was an unpleasant awakening, but fun natheless.

hi hi

Pegasi can totally cast spells. Have you seen the kinds of things the Rainbow Dash and the Wonderbolts can do? Rainbows and crackling lightning trails, Rainbow Dash's shed demolishing impact explosion... They may not do things the way that Unicorns do, but magic is as magic does, its just funny that way. Pegasus magic seems to be more physical in nature, while Unicorn magic is more centered around thought.

I mean, who builds all their architecture out of just one material anyway? Even amongst clouds, they've got rain clouds, white puffy clouds, thunderclouds... (and in Sonic Rainboom, they had solid ice as part of their structures too.) Just because the type of cloud that Pinkie Pie first jumped out of the balloon onto (which by the way, landed solidly) was one type of cloud, doesn't mean the entire city is built out of that.

Ginger, do you consider those examples of magic as "casting" though? Much of it is passive in nature. Otherwise, they couldn't sleep on a cloud. I can't think of a better word, but that doesn't sound right to me.

[/nitpicking]

Haha. As if.

We have seen RD disperse a cloud in an instant, contrasted to pegasus artists who took their time with individual snow flakes. They certainly have a large range of talents and processes available to them.

The idea of a cloud structure engineer makes me happy by the way.

hi hi

But elements are magic. Example: The elements of harmony, the most powerful magic known to pony kind. Magic in Equestria takes on all different kinds of expressions, from the mysterious Zap Apples, who's jam tastes better if you sing to the water; to Unicorn tricks that appear on command.