Occupy Equestria wins the Best Post of the Thread contest. I love a good character analysis, especially when it contributes to shipping talk.

I do agree that if a young Alicorn foalsits a perfectly normal unicorn, then it would seem that they don't quite have god emperor status.

My theory: Just as Celestia recognized Twilight's potential since before she was in school, and assigned her a personal dragon assistant (word of Faust), Celestia assigned her a special caretaker to help develop her talent. Twilight is a mythical hero, and as such, recieves special attention from the gods that others don't get.

Yeah, as Ashton said, activity will probably plummet rapidly for awhile. :-(

The fandom got LARGER over the last summer break, if you can believe that. Not sure it will happen the same way this time, but the Pony fandom hasn't come close to saturation yet. There's a lot of room to grow. Fans will evangelize this show over the summer. Believe it.

My biggest question was WHY DID SHINING ARMOR SOUND LIKE A FRAT BOY?

Because he was captain of the Guard. The military's got more than its share of meathead-fratboy types.

My theory: Just as Celestia recognized Twilight's potential since before she was in school, and assigned her a personal dragon assistant (word of Faust), Celestia assigned her a special caretaker to help develop her talent. Twilight is a mythical hero, and as such, recieves special attention from the gods that others don't get.

Soo.. Celestia knew before she ever met Twilight? Because foal Twilight didn't her cutie mark yet. And that day at the entry test was the first time Twilight met the princess, I think she even said that. Plus, it sounded like Cadence used to be the foal sitter of a bunch of foals, because otherwise "How could I forget the foal I loved to sit the most?" makes little sense.

hi hi

I don't see Rainbow Dash as lacking self confidence. She has moments when she knows she could fail, just like anyone, but it stems from an understanding of her own physical limitations. She is very self aware, which leads her to recognize her very real shortcomings, and sometimes she does try to overcompensate for them.

There's a reason why she lives by herself up in the clouds, why seeks solitude during the day for her naps, and why she tries to get away from Pinkie Pie even though Pinkie Pie thinks she is totally amazing and awesome. Rainbow Dash is a pony who likes to do her own thing, but she doesn't like telling other ponies what to do either. She gets annoyed when she has to prod Fluttershy along, and she drags her hooves when Applejack wants her to help out with menial, day to day chores.

That being said, I could see Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash getting along if, by circumstance, they should happen to have the same goals. I can see them celebrating reaching said goals together, but they're both ponies who do things their own way and would have to stay out of the other's. (way)

(People who brag and boast a lot usually do think highly of themselves. I'm not sure where the notion that braggarts are only trying to hide their own insecurities comes from, Celestia knows I see it repeated just about everywhere, but it never has any empirical data to back it up. On the other hand, there have been studies which show that people who brag, bully, etc. do have high levels of self-esteem.)

If anything, what Rainbow Dash lacks is not self-esteem but others-esteem. Through practice and repetition, she is very confident in her own capabilities, but is by comparison very un-confident in the way others will react and respond. It bugs her when others don't agree with her (including her esteem for herself) and Fluttershy would be particularly frustrating because she isn't direct and Dash has to work to get the truth out of her.

But that's just my take on it... use with a grain of salt.

I'm not sure where the notion that braggarts are only trying to hide their own insecurities comes from, ...

Sonic Rainboom. In come from Sonic Rainboom, when she's huddled into a ball, paralyzed with performance anxiety.

Soo.. Celestia knew before she ever met Twilight? Because foal Twilight didn't her cutie mark yet. And that day at the entry test was the first time Twilight met the princess, I think she even said that.

Actually, yes. That's it exactly.

101497%20-%20lauren_faust%20screencap%20source_missing%20spike%20tagme%20word_of_faust.gif

She sent the egg to Twilight, and She may have sent Cadence as well, in Her wisdom.

As for "Plus, it sounded like Cadence used to be the foal sitter of a bunch of foals, because otherwise 'How could I forget the foal I loved to sit the most?' makes little sense," keep in mind that this is often used jokingly, like "You're my favorite mom ever." Given that most of us have one mother, this is nonsense. We say it because it's funny and it expresses a sentiment well.

Hmmm....after reading the round-up on Equestria Daily for the episodes, it appears Cereal Velocity also spotted the similar shots technique used in PPG Movie and Part 2...

Just to show you guys so you understand my constant preaching:

(9:14)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3xqKvOwoyk&t=12m41s

(12:41)

Watch them side-by-side at the same time.

They're exactly alike, I have no doubts. FiM crew, I salute you to referring to another great animated film...and quite an underrated one, too.

• Like 1

hi hi

In Sonic Rainboom, Rainbow Dash was not insecure, she was confident that she would fail. She was acutely aware of her chances and her inability, since she had failed to reproduce one in practice hundreds of times. It'd be like going into a test when you don't know the material.

When people have practiced something repeatedly, they tend to perform better when they're being observed. When people are trying something they are unfamiliar with, they tend to perform worse when they are being observed. I forget the scientific name for the effect, but it works on people with low self esteem and high self esteem. I don't think it was whimsy that Rainbow Dash wanted people cheering for her. I got the impression that she was literally counting on the crowd to give her the boost she needed to pull it off.

Actually, yes. That's it exactly.

101497%20-%20lauren_faust%20screencap%20source_missing%20spike%20tagme%20word_of_faust.gif

She sent the egg to Twilight, and She may have sent Cadence as well, in Her wisdom.

As for "Plus, it sounded like Cadence used to be the foal sitter of a bunch of foals, because otherwise 'How could I forget the foal I loved to sit the most?' makes little sense," keep in mind that this is often used jokingly, like "You're my favorite mom ever." Given that most of us have one mother, this is nonsense. We say it because it's funny and it expresses a sentiment well.

That's some very selective clairvoyance going on right there. Wouldn't it have been kinda more then a hunch when she had already sent Cadence to watch over Twilight, long before she got her cutie mark? Granted, Cadence seemed to know that Twilight is special, but then again, that's also something you tell children in general in our society. ^^

I'm not really convinced, if you couldn't tell. It didn'T look like super special treatment to me.

hi hi

Maybe its the other way around with Cadence and Twilight. Maybe knowing Twilight as a foal -with her earnest nature, unstoppable quest for knowledge and desire to be a better pony- helped inspire Cadence to stand out amongst the other Canterlot royalty. :P

Or maybe Twilight's parents are just that awesome. I mean, they raised the Princess's star pupil and the captain of the guards, clearly they're doing something right. Perhaps they're successful and well connected in their own lives as well?

• Like 2

Hey, soooo... am I the only one who thinks it's a little offputting that Shining Armor's sclera is light blue?

Weird. I never noticed that until now. And it varies from obvious-when-you-are-looking-for-it to it-looks-white-to-me. Upon closer examination, Shining armor is even whiter than Rarity. You can see the contrast on her, but Shining armor is so white, that you wouldn't be able to see where his eyes started without the blue. Celestia's eyes are lined, which would look weird on a dude.

But more importantly, why does that bother you?

Weird. I never noticed that until now. I wonder why they did that. And it varies from obvious-when-you-are-looking-for-it to it-looks-white-to-me.

But more importantly, why does that bother you?

The sclera usually isn't light blue, and I've never seen them doing that before, even though there have been plenty of pure white ponies around. They even changed to green (which made a little more sense) when he was in the changeling queen's thrall.

They didn't do it with Blueblood's eyes, for example. I guess it's one of those things were I don't know what to think of it. I mean, it's animation, and therefore a conscious choice. I kinda wonder if it has any significance to it.

They didn't do it with Blueblood's eyes, for example. I guess it's one of those things were I don't know what to think of it. I mean, it's animation, and therefore a conscious choice. I kinda wonder if it has any significance to it.

16:03 into Best Night Ever, Blueblood's sclera's are clearly light blue. I think it is just the lesser of many evils when it comes to differentiating the hair from the eyes on a pure white male. They stop being blue when he is in the shadows for some reason.

16:03 into Best Night Ever, Blueblood's sclera's are clearly light blue. I think it is just the lesser of many evils when it comes to differentiating the hair from the eyes on a pure white male. They stop being blue when he is in the shadows for some reason.

Huh, it didn't seem like it in the screencaps I looked at.

Fair enough. I just never noticed it before. ^^

Neither had I. Good eye. No pun intended.

I absolutely sympathize with Twilight regarding her anger at not hearing about the wedding until there was an invitation. My sister is the lion share of 1000 miles away, and I see her about once a year. If I learned from a wedding invitation that she was getting married, I would be really confused. Its not about the expectation of seeing her in person. It is that he never sent her a letter earlier than that.

Like, maybe the moment he was engaged.

That would have been a great time to tell her.

Or how about when they were courting?

At first, I cut him some slack because it was unclear what exactly was going on. I thought maybe Canterlot was locked down due to the unknown threat. But that wasn't the case at all. They allowed all kinds of communication and and travel. And furthermore, the threat was not so important that they had to postpone the wedding of the person most important in keeping the city safe.

A while back, I was getting excited about a friend's wedding, and had been helping them with some planning and finances for it. When they eloped about 3 months early, I felt betrayed. I have such a close relationship with my sister, that her leaving out something that important would cut me deep.

At first, I cut him some slack because it was unclear what exactly was going on. I thought maybe Canterlot was locked down due to the unknown threat. But that wasn't the case at all. They allowed all kinds of communication and and travel. And furthermore, the threat was not so important that they had to postpone the wedding of the person most important in keeping the city safe.

I thought about this, and it seems completely unclear how long they have been engaged. Maybe it was only a few days, after all, the changeling queen could have magically manipulated him into not asking too many pesky questions. And Canterlot seemed to be in full lockdown, with all the guards around. He doesn't have access to magical and perfectly untrackable Spike express mail, after all.

Hey, soooo... am I the only one who thinks it's a little offputting that Shining Armor's sclera is light blue?

This is really common for animated characters who are pure white, has been for as long as I can remember. Look at Donald Duck or the shmoos, or, most prevalent, in Ducktales.

• Like 1

I thought about this, and it seems completely unclear how long they have been engaged. Maybe it was only a few days, after all, the changeling queen could have magically manipulated him into not asking too many pesky questions.

Remember, when Cadence started singing, she was singing about how she had been looking forward to the wedding. When Chrysalis took her place, they had already decided on a day together!

And Canterlot seemed to be in full lockdown, with all the guards around. He doesn't have access to magical and perfectly untrackable Spike express mail, after all.

The horseapples he doesn't. He has extremely close access to Celestia, who also cares very deeply for Twilight. If he had made half an effort, he could have gotten it done. Not once did he say "we decided it was prudent to wait until the last possible moment in the interests of security". Which wouldn't have made any sense anyhow.

I absolutely sympathize with Twilight regarding her anger at not hearing about the wedding until there was an invitation. My sister is the lion share of 1000 miles away, and I see her about once a year. If I learned from a wedding invitation that she was getting married, I would be really confused. Its not about the expectation of seeing her in person. It is that he never sent her a letter earlier than that.

Like, maybe the moment he was engaged.

That would have been a great time to tell her.

Or how about when they were courting?

Right? I mean, don't people send wedding invitations like, somewhat in advance? How long had this threat been... threatening Canterlot? Or ya, even just telling her they were courting/dating... did they stop all communications when she moved?

Right? I mean, don't people send wedding invitations like, somewhat in advance? How long had this threat been... threatening Canterlot? Or ya, even just telling her they were courting/dating... did they stop all communications when she moved?

And they could have had the same effect with almost the same shock value with much less rudeness. "I knew they were dating, but why didn't you tell me when you got engaged?" Or, they could have planned ahead like they did with the first season finale, and dropped the necessary hints. The time between "ticket master" and "best night ever" is AMAZING! But this blind-sided all of us.