Kittens. The tiring kind.

Kirby Krackle

To those who wish to skip ahead to the bottom of this post, there are pictures. To those who wish some context, here I go.

About two weeks ago, I found a cat on the street. She was pregnant, so I picked her up, planning to raise the youngin's and find them good homes. As is our routine when picking up kitties, we get her tested for Feline Leukemia and FIV. The bad news is this is the first time ever we have found a cat that tested positive for FIV. To those who don't know, it's just like HIV except in a kitty-sized formula. The rescue group we associate with says put her and the unborns down. No questions, no remorse, just dead cats. But that's not how my moral compass points. So off we go, keeping her in the best shape we can. Sweet kid, too.

About two nights ago, she delivered. Nine kittens total, only six survived. The poor three were barely developed and are wrapped up and in the freezer until the weather is nice enough for me to give them a proper burial. The other six are scrawny but healthy, as far as we can tell. The mother on the other hand has been leaking... fluid those two nights. It stinks in my bedroom right now. Not normal. We take her to an emergency vet for XRays and Ultrasounds. There are growths inside her. Strange things that the doctors think were at some point kittens, but are now necrotic blobs of... stuff that need to come out ASAP. So she's in surgery today. Hopefully she'll make it.

In the meantime, we've been hand feeding the kittens. Barely. It's hard to keep them still, to open their mouths, to actually get formula from the bottle to their bellies. My wife can work from home, but I had to take a personal day. And that's just today.

I'm tired.

558587_10101288021491487_8605918_68143371_1390652016_n.jpg

542015_10101288021770927_8605918_68143373_938350465_n.jpg

576545_10101288039580237_8605918_68143452_1110769432_n.jpg

560299_10101288039235927_8605918_68143449_243315498_n.jpg

558464_10101288039096207_8605918_68143447_273314857_n.jpg

538923_10101288039385627_8605918_68143450_1295495919_n.jpg

389193_10101288021995477_8605918_68143375_372968163_n.jpg

380213_10101288039889617_8605918_68143454_1341926750_n.jpg

319801_10101288039739917_8605918_68143453_49265571_n.jpg

• Like 1

What is the prognosis for a cat with FIV -- and its transmission to kittens?

Pretty much the same for HIV. They won't be able to fend off infection very well, so in the long term, they'll need more medication if they get ill. It's definitely not a death sentence though and can live a normal lifespan with proper care and nutrition and lovinz. My wife says it cannot turn into AIDS, which is weird to me?

As far as her kittens are concerned, so many "experts" give me different answers but the emergency vet we went to last night apparently researched this all to heck and back with HIV kitties of her own. The kittens can get it maybe, usually right at birth when blood things happen. Because nursing also gives the baby antibodies, they'll test falsely positive up to six months.

Also, thanks much for all the warm wishes. I had no idea I had fans.

I'm incredibly thankful that my own stray queen is healthy, and so are the kittens.

I'd never taken care of anything so tiny and weak before, even though they were healthy.

Best of luck to you and the cats. >_<

How often do you feed them a day?

Also, thanks much for all the warm wishes. I had no idea I had fans.

Mmm, you were very kind to me when I first joined. I unfortunately have barely talked with you since then, but I don't often forget such things. That's interesting that the FIV can't develop into AIDS though, rather curious.

I'm incredibly thankful that my own stray queen is healthy, and so are the kittens.

I'd never taken care of anything so tiny and weak before, even though they were healthy.

Best of luck to you and the cats. >_<

How often do you feed them a day?

Approx. every 3 hours. My wife and I are fixing it so at least one of us is home when the "timer" goes off. She works from home in the morning, heading into the office around 2. I usually get in at around 6, so it works out. Also, wow. "Queen". One of the technical terms.

Mmm, you were very kind to me when I first joined. I unfortunately have barely talked with you since then, but I don't often forget such things. That's interesting that the FIV can't develop into AIDS though, rather curious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_immunodeficiency_virus

Huh. My vets said "FAIDS" wasn't a thing. Weird. Also, thanks for remembering me. :)

Approx. every 3 hours. My wife and I are fixing it so at least one of us is home when the "timer" goes off. She works from home in the morning, heading into the office around 2. I usually get in at around 6, so it works out. Also, wow. "Queen". One of the technical terms.

I'm sure they'll pull through, long as they're warm and well-fed. :"I

At least you guys have a system. It must be pretty tiring, though.

Also, yeah. XD I may just be some high-school kid, but I'm a nerd for cats, science, and writing.

Best of luck :"I

Here's some updates.

Momma cat is in the same room as kittens. She's very tired and full of wire stitches, which means we don't trust the kittens to nurse too much. Some of the nipples are in a safe and furry area, others not so much. We pull kittens away if we think they'll poke an eye out. But she's very attentive despite the fact that she feels like crap. She has in fact, plucked kittens out of their sleepy box to lie with her. She's groomed and lied back to nurse, which is back to problem 1. Better than expected.

Also, here are some things that I do.

1. Separate the kittens into two piles: Black and tuxedo.
  2. Select and feed a batch not fed.
  3. Put the fed batch into an empty 12 can box of Mountain Dew, hereby referred to as the "Inbox".
  4. Take the Inbox to the bathroom sink and make the kittens potty one by one, placing finished kittens into an empty 12 can box of Pepsi, hereby referred to as the "Outbox".
  5. Deposit contents of Outbox into Sleepy Box.
  6. Repeat steps 2 through 5.

• Like 1

I had a cat who was feral.

We caught her in a possum trap. Don't worry, this possum trap isn't some kind of sharp-teeth like trap that can penetrate your skin. Painfully.

Anyway, this trap was a cage, triggered by stepping inside. The bait was uh... cat food. Apparently this kitten liked it, and got caught in the trap.

We cared for her for a year, I think. Then we had to give her away, due to the city's pet population restriction. We really loved her for being very social.

At first, she felt threatened, then later she adapted and was nicer, then came to the lap cat habit. So relaxing...

Oh yes! I forgot to mention: Her name was Rabies. :)

• Like 1

I had a cat who was feral.

We caught her in a possum trap. Don't worry, this possum trap isn't some kind of sharp-teeth like trap that can penetrate your skin. Painfully.

Anyway, this trap was a cage, triggered by stepping inside. The bait was uh... cat food. Apparently this kitten liked it, and got caught in the trap.

We cared for her for a year, I think. Then we had to give her away, due to the city's pet population restriction. We really loved her for being very social.

At first, she felt threatened, then later she adapted and was nicer, then came to the lap cat habit. So relaxing...

Oh yes! I forgot to mention: Her name was Rabies. :)

There isn't a bit of this story I don't like.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but we do have updates! I remembered Kirby started this thread when the kittens were born.

The kittens are a little over 3 months old now. Four of the six have already been adopted and in wonderful homes :)

As for the FIV...

They were first tested at 2 months old. Two of them tested negative, the other four tested weakly positive. They were retested again just last week and ALL of them are negative now! My beautiful, strong, brave momma cat gave us perfectly healthly babies.

• Like 4

Glad they are doing well. Guessing that mama is still doing fine?

Makes me glad that the cat that came with our house was healthy and not pregnant!

(She was on the steps when we got there after closing, very very thin. Former owners said they didn't have a cat when we asked them.)

She's nice and has stayed for 2 months so far.

I had a feral cat once. Caught him by hand under my trailer... leather gloves....

He got to where he was real lovey to me but would hide whenever anyone else was around.

Mama is doing great! You'd never know she has FIV. The only thing that gives it away is that her paws bother her when she's standing - she has something wrong with them common in FIV cats ("pillow feet" I believe it's called, they are slightly puffy). She's getting tired of her kittens though and ready for them to leave the nest!

D'aww!!! Thats fantastic. I took a pair of 1 week old kittens in a few months ago after their feral mommy died. I love people who love animals. So you are on my list of awesome people now. Congrats, and they look great! :D