just a question about wings 0_0

sevofthesands

Might have been changed with magic by Luna herself.

Presumably their armor did that, just like the normal guards armor makes them all identical.

Now, you *can* have fake/illusionary bat wings. I did that in one version of my Jezebel (she occasionally wore fake bat wings) and nobody had a problem with it. Likewise in-game I've had a character make illusionary wings appear, so... that's not really healpful is it? :sleep:

I'm not trying to instigate anything, but Luna's chariot pegasi had bat wings. Are they just special cases or a different species?

The staff agreed shortly after the episode that the bat wings are merely a spell. The wings will wear off, presumably when the morning comes, or perhaps they only ever last a few hours. In any case, they are never permanent.

Your character is allowed to wear fake wings, that is, wings that are aesthetic but do not function. Costuming and make-up is also allowed, but keep in mind that wings that are weighed down with things will likely have trouble with flight.

The staff agreed shortly after the episode that the bat wings are merely a spell. The wings will wear off, presumably when the morning comes, or perhaps they only ever last a few hours. In any case, they are never permanent.

Your character is allowed to wear fake wings, that is, wings that are aesthetic but do not function. Costuming and make-up is also allowed, but keep in mind that wings that are weighed down with things will likely have trouble with flight.

I'm not an RPer, but say you make two OCs one is a unicorn and one is a pegasus and they are good friends whom room together. The unicorn's special skill is stage magic. If the unicorn use their magic to manifest batwings without added weight (or other special wing type) would that be permitted in the mane RP? (Naturally the spell would have to be repeated after a set amount of time) This would be similar to Luna's guards.

The only reason I ask is pure curiosity.

I'm not an RPer, but say you make two OCs one is a unicorn and one is a pegasus and they are good friends whom room together. The unicorn's special skill is stage magic. If the unicorn use their magic to manifest batwings without added weight (or other special wing type) would that be permitted in the mane RP? (Naturally the spell would have to be repeated after a set amount of time) This would be similar to Luna's guards.

This seems like an oddly specific scenario. I would like to reiterate that making a flier look different but still allowing them to fly is fine. But turning a non-flier into a perfect flier without a lot of work isn't kosher.

Sounds different... but...

Well, you saw how difficult it was for Twilight to create wings on Rarity. I assume it would be just as hard to change the feature of somepony. When she transformed the apple to the carriage in The Best Night Ever, she had to study it and then concentrate to perform it. I also assume it was temporary, seeing as the mice to horses spell only lasted until midnight. Also, keep in mind that Twilight is likely the third most powerful pony in Equestria, next to the princesses (though not including Cadence at this time).

The point is that transformation spells are rather complicated, and they're actually a bit frowned upon. We don't want people using their ponies' power on another pony, because that's a bit controlling. Magic that influences, controls, or changes another pony sets up a scenario that something could happen to an OC that's out of their control.

Another thing to consider is that batwings are probably scary. If you see somepony walking down the street with them, are you going to want to go up and chat with them? Give them a job? Let them into your store or restaurant? Something to think about.

This seems like an oddly specific scenario. I would like to reiterate that making a flier look different but still allowing them to fly is fine. But turning a non-flier into a perfect flier without a lot of work isn't kosher.

Yeah, it was a scenario that I thought up while reading everything between the two threads on it. It seemed to me an interesting scenario as well as a plausible one. So I just brought it up as a point of discussion. Hope you don't mind :unsure:

Sounds different... but...

Well, you saw how difficult it was for Twilight to create wings on Rarity. I assume it would be just as hard to change the feature of somepony. When she transformed the apple to the carriage in The Best Night Ever, she had to study it and then concentrate to perform it. I also assume it was temporary, seeing as the mice to horses spell only lasted until midnight. Also, keep in mind that Twilight is likely the third most powerful pony in Equestria, next to the princesses (though not including Cadence at this time).

The point is that transformation spells are rather complicated, and they're actually a bit frowned upon. We don't want people using their ponies' power on another pony, because that's a bit controlling. Magic that influences, controls, or changes another pony sets up a scenario that something could happen to an OC that's out of their control.

Another thing to consider is that batwings are probably scary. If you see somepony walking down the street with them, are you going to want to go up and chat with them? Give them a job? Let them into your store or restaurant? Something to think about.

Well, I figured, that it wasn't so much CHANGING the wings, but using magic to give an illusion of bat wings. Which is why I said theater style magic. I doubt any pony other than the princesses and Twilight (and perhaps a spare other few in Celestia's school that we don't know about) would have the power to actually physically change a pony's appearance. However illusionary magic is probably much easier and still wouldn't add weight. I actually totally agree that transformation magic would be difficult, if not impossible. Creating new wings, which as you may recall were made of Morning Dew and Gossamer (two very light, probably relatively easily conjurable materials) is probably much easier than changing a set of wings from one style to another (and creating new wings was incredibly difficult for a powerful and talented unicorn such as Twilight), especially since you must conjure up or physically change the appearance of the skin and alter the bone structure (birdlike wings are much different in structure than batlike wings). And if it is the former in that scenario, conjuring up would mean also destroying the old wings in the process, which is likely a painful process. In fact, both would be painful regardless because of the differences in bone structure.

As I said, I'm not an RPer. Whether or not I become one is still up for me to decide. I'm still on the fence on that one (more towards the negative tbh), so though your considerations are quite valid, they don't really have an impact on my theoretical scenario. Though they are good considerations as to why one wouldn't/shouldn't design their pony with such wings.

It would be interesting if the creators delved into why the night guards looked the way they did. Was it Luna magic? Was it a potion they they can brew up (like a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde type thing)? I don't think they are a different breed... It is all very interesting.

@ Starswirl:

for some reason illusion = transformation on the site. I got told 'no' on making an OC who's special power was illusion, the reason cited being "transformation is forbidden" so... yeah... just roll with it...

@Brony#299:

the only way is wings on an airship (robots are not allowed either, not even clanks), you cant make a non-pegasus fly in mane.