Does anyones Parents know they are a Brony?

Dash91

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mother doesn't really care.. But my dad thinks it's cool :) he's never understood why I like series like how I met your mother etc. And really don't understand why I like Anime (although he likes the instrumental OSTs from the animes..).

But he actually thinks MLP is alot better than the other stuff, because of the great message it got, and because he can see how happy I get when I watch it :)

In some way I also thinks it somehow reminds him of when I was little :) I'm 24 now, and work most of the time, so I think he sees it as a small window to the 10 year old me hehe :)

He even asks me to show him some of the songs, and suggest I go buy a teddy version of Pinkie Pie hehe(she's his favorite because of her positive attitude)

My mother doesn't really care.. But my dad thinks it's cool :) he's never understood why I like series like how I met your mother etc. And really don't understand why I like Anime (although he likes the instrumental OSTs from the animes..).

But he actually thinks MLP is alot better than the other stuff, because of the great message it got, and because he can see how happy I get when I watch it :)

In some way I also thinks it somehow reminds him of when I was little :) I'm 24 now, and work most of the time, so I think he sees it as a small window to the 10 year old me hehe :)

He even asks me to show him some of the songs, and suggest I go buy a teddy version of Pinkie Pie hehe(she's his favorite because of her positive attitude)

That's a cool story.

• 4 months later...

My father died a while ago and my mother doesn't know, she simply doesn't need to. She is already super worried because I couldn't find the perfect destiny for myself after graduation ... like RIGHT after it. Probably she wouldn't care that much though.

My "friends" knew about it and made fun here and there, but I felt that I was slowly getting to them =P

currently, only my older brother knows, after I got slightly careless and accidentally left canterlot up a little bit ago. as expected of older brothers, he now constantly teases me nonstop about liking 'rainbow coloured ponies.' my parents however do not know for sure, though I expect one of them was able to figure it out.

Err... yeah, My mam and my step-dad both know. They're not really bothered much about it, but they do tease me about it every once and a while, particularly

my step dad, but I don't take it too harshly.

It's usually more like "Ray, where you studying? Actually, no that's a stupid question. What sort of pony did you draw? Happy pony? Angry pony?"

but as I said, they don't bother me much. They watch a lot of cartoons themselves (Spongebob, Penguins of Madagascar, Kung-fu panda) and a lot of kid's

movies as well.

They say it's to escape the cynicism of the modern word. Which is pretty much one of the reasons I watch MLP so...

Also, my little brother, who's 11, used to watch it with me last year, but I think he told some kids at school who mocked him for it so now he's stopped. Kid's can be mean sometimes.

I've seen that this is a tricky topic, if not for the fact that everyone's parents are so different. Some may willingly accept it and celebrate it with their child, or see it as deviance and shun the behavior.

Remember a lot of what makes FiM so special is how it was able to break down so many gender-role reinforced paradigms -- it would be against its spirit to hide it away like something to be embarrassed about.

If your family criticizes you about liking it, ask them what else you shouldn't like based on their personal taste preferences. If you have to hide away pony to be accepted by your parents, how else do you have to act to be accepted? That sounds like a good setup for a rocky future relationship to me.

I saw a sarcastic wonka image macro saying just that.

Anywho, my parents know. Of course they always have called me weird, but you know.

*sniff* whatever

• 4 weeks later...

My mum is really nice and accepting, and she knows and is proud. My dad, however, would flip out and have a heart attack because he grew up in the 60's and is a huge buttface :x . My new friends from middle school know and they don't care, but if I told any of the guys I knew in elementary school (including two of my best friends :() they would never speak to me again.

Yeah, my parents know, they pretty much accept it, they think I'm a little weird for it, but they accept that I'm just weird all over (you pretty much have to be weird and have a sense of humor to be a part of my family lol :)) my wife knows, and also accepts it... I don't think my family even knew about Bronies until I told them about it (though I've only been one for about half a year) so yeah...

None of my family knows. I feel like my siblings and cousins wouldn't care, but would poke fun at me every now and again, just like we always do to one another. My parents, on the other hand... Well, lets just say they aren't very open-minded about a lot of things on the internet, save the highly commercialized things, like facebook, and ebay.

I told my parents early on, they were a little startled at first, because I've been known to watch stuff that's above my age limit such as South Park and other stuff I shall not mention. Dad accepted it at first, and mum said nothing, but eventually she said she doesn't care, just thinks its a bit odd for a boy my age to watch and enjoy ponies. They both know I'm not gay and don't bother me about it either. :) But, this can and most likely will start a argument between you and your parents, or worse, but if you are willing to risk doing that, then be my guest.

• 3 weeks later...

My younger sister ended up telling my parents. My mother was a bit concerned at first, but my dad knew all about the brony fandom when one of the teens he taught in his youth group showed him the "Manliest Brony in the World" videos, so he was pretty accepting, even if the show isn't his thing. My mother watches the show though, which gives us something to talk about when I'm at home on break from college.

Honestly I'm not even sure my parents would care, and I don't really feel I have to tell them.

My brother on the other hand... It's a complex situation. I have my suspicions that he's a brony and I'm pretty sure he has his suspicions too (He nearly caught me on this site once!) but we both act like semi-hater people so neither of us have said anything.

UPDATE: My mother learned about the existence of bronies when she overlooked my dad watching the new Brony documentary (which my younger cousin sent him). Needless to say by her reaction, there's no way now I'll be coming out in the open anytime soon. :P

UPDATE: My mother learned about the existence of bronies when she overlooked my dad watching the new Brony documentary (which my younger cousin sent him). Needless to say by her reaction, there's no way now I'll be coming out in the open anytime soon. :razz:

need details, bellosh!

Essentially, my mum thinks the whole thing about teenaged males liking MLP is pathetic and absurd. She guesses that people like my cousin (and myself, though she doesn't know it yet) will be embarrassed in five years' time that they ever liked a girls' show in the first place.

PS: My mum doesn't watch animation period save for the Clone Wars show over at Cartoon Network, but she's always been a fan of the Star Wars universe.

Archived