Netflix/Twitter Pony Coping

Rosewind

I thought this was funny, so I thought I'd plop it here. We know MLP:FiM is on Netflix, and Season 2 just launched on it -- and random people are getting the show recommended to them by the system, even though they have no idea what FiM is about.

Someone made a Twitter account to retweet all of the hubbub, found here called CopingWithPony. (Twitter link may contain some colorful language here and there from retweeted posts.)

It's hilarious!

• Like 4

I'm baffled at some of these comments...

In other news, I don't think people understand how Netflix recommendations work. Clearly people who like Sci-fi (ie Dr Who Supernatural et al) like MLP:FiM. I am one of them.

• Like 1

@annelizaohara

Someone keeps watching my little pony friendship is magic on my Netflix account and no ones confessing to it. #It'sProbablyMyBrother

@CubanMami

Watching Netflix with my TEENAGERS (18, 18, 16, 14) and they want to watch My Little Pony. Seriously? #readytobedonewiththispart

@arnorb

Netflix is recommending I watch My Little Pony. The think I would give it a 4 star rating. I'm kinda curious to see if they're right.

@el_zilcho

Netflix says I'd give My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic five stars. Is Netflix trying to tell me I'm a brony?

@harmsenbd

Netflix suggests that I watch the tv show called "my little pony:friendship is magic." looks like my free time will be used up by ponies

@ThinksAmoral

Thanks a lot Bronies, the American Netflix somehow recommends MLP:FIM to me.

(His avatar is Fluttershy.)

@gwenhyfr

My 15, 12, &11 year old are watching my little pony on netflix. It started as a joke. Now they can't stop. And Lord help me, I can't either.

@Micchelllleeee

My number one recommendation on my Netflix account is My Little Pony. I'm slightly disappointed in myself, yet slightly happy netflix knows.

@zoembie

Wait a minute… am I the only person in the world who *didn't* get My Little Pony recommended for them in Netflix? I feel so left out.

@XRatedXavier

Netflix put "My Little Pony" in my Top 10 to Watch... sad thing is I actually considered watching it. #beinghonest
  • Like 1

In other news, I don't think people understand how Netflix recommendations work. Clearly people who like Sci-fi (ie Dr Who Supernatural et al) like MLP:FiM. I am one of them.

Not on Netflix but I'm sure it would be reccomending it to me if it's Sci-Fi (Like SWTB, I also love Dr Who, as well as Torchwood, LOST, StarTrek (ToS/DS9) Stargate, and probably about a hundred I cant remember right now :P)

Not on Netflix but I'm sure it would be reccomending it to me if it's Sci-Fi (Like SWTB, I also love Dr Who, as well as Torchwood, LOST, StarTrek (ToS/DS9) Stargate, and probably about a hundred I cant remember right now :P)

That is the thing. That is how Netflix works. Say you rated DW, TW, Star Trek and Stargate highly... You never watched MLP nor searched for it. If people who watched those series also rated MLP highly, it will get recommended to you, because the software Netflix uses sees a correlation between users who liked those sci-fi series and MLP:FiM. It isn't rocket science, and is a very simple and effective algorithm. Why people cannot understand this is beyond me. It isn't like its a random recommendation. It may not be the same genre, but people who liked that genre also liked this one [seemingly] random show.

The really cool thing is if they gave FiM a real chance, the recommendation would probably be correct!

Considering all the Sci-fi and pop culture references and massive amounts of Tropes? Yeah... I'd say so... People are really blinded by the name and stigma that the previous gens carry. It is unfortunate too.

What I find humorous is that the recommended are all the same genre, but are all essentially nothing like it, except for Felix the Cat perhaps.