What kind of Pony are You?

SilverThorn

Weeshy -- I think the introversion with unicorns is directly related to the most relatable unicorn everypony knows: Twilight Sparkle. So, without being overly specific, I think their inference is that they're a lot like Twilight, which is not representative of the unicorn race as a whole.

As for how I consider myself, I'd say alicorn. Not because I'm conceited or consider myself royalty or rare, but I am adaptable and able to shift roles into whatever is needed.

I might be a Unicorn because I am very bookish and studious. I might also be an Earth pony because I'm strong, and I've sort of overcome a lot with very little advantage. Maybe a unicorn who's horn broke? An earth pony that wears a horn headband to "look smarter"? I don't know. I would definitely not be a Pegasus though. I'm not very athletic. I'm really fast but I'm asthmatic so I can run fast but not far. I'm also afraid of heights, but so is Fluttershy so I guess that's not an exclusionary element of my personality.

On a related note, why is everyone relating science and knowledge to unicorns? If a horn is a prerequisite for careers that use you brain, I would be a unicorn, but that is not actually the case. In fact, in a world where the scientific professions come from one group, those that come from a different background are valuable because they don't come in with the same preconceived notions. An "outsider" is more likely to say "why do we do this?" about something that everyone else has taken for granted since before the original reason for it disappeared. Similarly, I could do this as a pegasus.

You can do many things as many ponies, but the show suggests that it is a sort of cultural norm for unicorns to be studious and intelligent. After all, there is an entire school dedicated to training unicorns with unusual magical prowess. Again, the show establishes that magic is a force to be learned and studied and improved. Unicorns are inherently magical and the desire to master aetherics is fundamentally a part of their nature.

Pegasi are shown to also be athletic, vivacious, and competitive. From Hearth's Warming Eve, we see them as being possibly militant and from Sonic Rainboom, we see them as hosting the Best Young Flyer's competition, a highly popular athletics competition.

Finally, Earth ponies are shown to be common-sense no nonsense friends; Applejack/Smart Cookie are prime examples of this.

That said, there are exceptions to every rule, like Fluttershy, a pegasus, not being very athletic at all or Rarity eschewing academics in favor of art. Just bear in mind that these tropes are not baseless assumptions, nor are they inherently bad. They just provide a basis for us to build characters on and certain expectations we know we'll have to fulfill or at least explain in storycraft.

• Like 1

I'll make it very easy, and those who know me will instantly understand.

Alicorn because snowflake. ;-)

Obviously more to it than that, but there you go.

hi hi

I'm guessing Earth Pony cause I'm not really all that fancy or spectacular. I would love to be able to fly like a pegasus, but somehow it just seems like it wouldn't happen. I dunno.

(As for being studious and introverted, a lot of the most socially intent and foolish ponies in the show have been unicorns from Canterlot's elite. Meanwhile, Cheerilee (an earth pony) is a successful teacher who teaches all types of different ponies. Pinkie Pie (an earth pony) knows all sorts of random pieces of information and is actually better at finding the right book in Twilight's own library than Twilight is. Granny Smith (an earth pony) is shown to be an expert on apples, having invented from scratch the proper methods of preparing zap apples. Even Featherweight (a pegasus) was dedicated enough to document everything. Fluttershy (a pegasus) is probably the most introverted character on the show. Also, Zecora, though she's not a pony.)

You can do many things as many ponies, but the show suggests that it is a sort of cultural norm for unicorns to be studious and intelligent. After all, there is an entire school dedicated to training unicorns with unusual magical prowess. Again, the show establishes that magic is a force to be learned and studied and improved. Unicorns are inherently magical and the desire to master aetherics is fundamentally a part of their nature.

Pegasi are shown to also be athletic, vivacious, and competitive. From Hearth's Warming Eve, we see them as being possibly militant and from Sonic Rainboom, we see them as hosting the Best Young Flyer's competition, a highly popular athletics competition.

Finally, Earth ponies are shown to be common-sense no nonsense friends; Applejack/Smart Cookie are prime examples of this.

That said, there are exceptions to every rule, like Fluttershy, a pegasus, not being very athletic at all or Rarity eschewing academics in favor of art. Just bear in mind that these tropes are not baseless assumptions, nor are they inherently bad. They just provide a basis for us to build characters on and certain expectations we know we'll have to fulfill or at least explain in storycraft.

Your post reads convincing, but it is quite unsatisfying.

It is so easy to find exceptions that it is hard to call them exceptions. Only AJ, RD and TS meet those generalizations, and AJ is also Ponyville's best athlete. That is a ratio that is consistent with random chance. What percentage of the runners in fall weather friends were pegasus? While in Cloudsdale, we saw scientists, laborers and athletes. While in Canterlot, how many of the unicorns look like scientists? I remember seeing guards, and the well-to-do.

Suppose I said "I wouldn't be a unicorn because I am not preoccupied with fashion and appearances". Would that be a fair generalization? I don't think so, but we have probably seen more unicorns that care about looks than unicorns that care about academics.

Yes, generalizations can be useful if they have a high probability of being correct. And if MLP had consistently shown this to be true for all but the outliers I would be fine with it. But if they are wrong more than half the time they are dangerous. I'm not going stick my neck out on 50% until I have had a chance to look through all of the characters, but that is my impression.

• Like 2

The studious ponies we have seen are predominantly unicorns, but that does not mean unicorns tend to be introverts. In fact, it seems like outgoing, friendly behavior is a general across the board thing, with ponies like twilight/fluttershy being unusual. In the first episode, the other ponies we saw at the school were planning a party, and twilight was probably one of the very few to reject it. It seems like athletes, eggheads, and fashionistas are spread pretty evenly throughout the three types. As far as I know, any pony can be an athlete, given the determination, it just trends more within pegasi and earth ponies due to their lifestyles( farming and weather duty are physically demanding). Unicorns probably have a lower rate of athleticism due to their telekinesis. And magic != studious. Example: Snips and Snails.

hi hi

I would like to point out that the whole point of Hearth's Warming Eve was to show that there weren't significant ​differences between the three tribes. The three leaders argued and accused each other of the same things, while their subordinates each tried to find a resolution, and in the end they realized that they were much more alike than un-alike. That they had more in common with each other than they did with other members of their own tribe.

The guards, unicorn, pegasi or earth pony are all no- nonsense. On the other hoof, Granny Smith, Pinkie Pie, Braeburn, Photo Finish, Daisy, Lily and Rose, and the Mayor are all full of nonsense.

It seems to me that they go out of their way sometimes to show different types of ponies doing different things even though they have limited animation resources and have to re-use ponies a lot. One of the major recurring themes in FIM is that what is really important is what is on the inside, looking beyond the cover, or finding out who you really are and what your special talent is.

• Like 3

The best part of this thread is that your personality doesn't choose the answer, you do! You can still be who you are, and then choose the type that you WANT to be. If you are an athlete whose perception is that Pegasus tend to be athletes at higher levels than the other types, you can choose to be a unicorn just to be unique.

Your post reads convincing, but it is quite unsatisfying... etc.

People have their reasons for selecting the type of pony they want to be. I was positing how they might make that selection and how I would make mine. I am not type-limiting anyone based on their personalities. You guys be what you want to be!

Now can we un-derail the topic? I think there are more people waiting to tell us what pony they would like to be :P

I'm not sure if I could decide between a unicorn or earth pony.

I'm not much for history, but I really enjoy science. It would be interesting to see the different kinds of fields I could study seeing as how magic is involved. But I'm also a big animal guy, especially with bugs.

If I was a unicorn, I would be like a mad scientist and study the arts of golem making or reanimating the dead into simple minded servents. I would treat them like my own flesh and blood.

If I was an earth pony, I would keep a colony of ant friends who would live in my mane.

But which one would be a bigger social outcast...

Definitely the mad scientist... lol

Ha ha, really? I could see why some ponys would hesitate to talk to a guy with bugs crawling all over him. That is, if they don't scream and run at the sight first. At least a mad scientist's ocupation wouldn't be imediatly apparent. Unless he has a few of his undead "children" following him around.

I'm not sure if I could decide between a unicorn or earth pony.

I'm not much for history, but I really enjoy science. It would be interesting to see the different kinds of fields I could study seeing as how magic is involved. But I'm also a big animal guy, especially with bugs.

If I was a unicorn, I would be like a mad scientist and study the arts of golem making or reanimating the dead into simple minded servents. I would treat them like my own flesh and blood.

If I was an earth pony, I would keep a colony of ant friends who would live in my mane.

But which one would be a bigger social outcast...

to be honest considering your affinity for insects I'd have to think you'd be some form of changeling them being the most insect like of all eqines in the show