Brony Pet Peeves?

QuickLime

Now I LOVE my fellow bronies! You guys are the best, but over my time in the fandom I'v noticed there are a few things bronies do at times that make me wanna bop them on the noggin XD Let me share a few with you and you share your own with me =D

1. I reallly don't like it when people go "Oh I am SO like Fluttershy/Twilight/Pinkie Pie!" I really can't explain it but it seems sorta silly to claim to be just like one of the mane six
  2. I dislike excessive Shipping, you know RainbowDash XAll of the Wonderbolts +Spike and what not XD
  3. Cupcakes D< I love the darker ideas for Pinkie, however they ALL seem to involve CupCakes D8 I love the idea of Pinkie Pie being a 'Broken Smile" sort of character but would like less of that Fic injected into her .
  4. Over dramatic "I told my parents I'm a brony" Thread that make it sound like you came out of the closet, you like a TV show and a really wonderful one at that ! And that is great! Congrats to you for not being afraid to love something! However it's JUST A Tv show no need to act like it's a hidden shame.
  5. Parents who's first assumption is "You like Ponies? YOU MUST BE GEH!"
  6. "Rainbow Dash is a Lesbian because of her mane and tomboyish personality" No! Bad Brony -thunks nose-
  7. The Ultra sadification of the Villains, you know Emo Trixie hiding her abusive past with showmanship and ego, or Sad Gilda for her feelings for Rainbow Dash ignored or not even noticed .
    Alright those are some of my personal peeves XD They are nothing to get Angry of and I'm sure we all have some personal eye twitching things ;D

• Like 1

• Excessive violence. Can't stomach that stuff. XD

• That extreme hatred towards certain characters, cast or fanfics (Yes, I get it, you hate Nyx. Do we need 100 pictures of Lauren Faust beating the crap out of her? See also everyone hates Rainbow Dash)

• People who pretend that that one ship is more valid then all the others.

• Projecting real world problems onto ponies, especially when strictly in context of the show, because many of those don't really apply to the world of Equestria as it's portrayed in the show.

• Like 1

• That extreme hatred towards certain characters, cast or fanfics (Yes, I get it, you hate Nyx. Do we need 100 pictures of Lauren Faust beating the crap out of her? See also everyone hates Rainbow Dash)

Nyx? And I can understand the dislike for Rainbow, she's sometimes very very unlikeable.

Nyx? And I can understand the dislike for Rainbow, she's sometimes very very unlikeable.

Nyx is a character from the fanfic Past Sins, basically a reborn filly Nightmare Moon. She's kind of a Mary Sue. The hatred against her just seems really over the top to me. ^^

As for RD, I don't know. I get the impression that it's more that she reminds bronies of people they don't like rather then really doing unlikable stuff herself. Could be wrong. :3

Now I LOVE my fellow bronies! You guys are the best, but over my time in the fandom I'v noticed there are a few things bronies do at times that make me wanna bop them on the noggin XD Let me share a few with you and you share your own with me =D

1. I reallly don't like it when people go "Oh I am SO like Fluttershy/Twilight/Pinkie Pie!" I really can't explain it but it seems sorta silly to claim to be just like one of the mane six
  2. I dislike excessive Shipping, you know RainbowDash XAll of the Wonderbolts +Spike and what not XD
  3. Cupcakes D< I love the darker ideas for Pinkie, however they ALL seem to involve CupCakes D8 I love the idea of Pinkie Pie being a 'Broken Smile" sort of character but would like less of that Fic injected into her .
  4. Over dramatic "I told my parents I'm a brony" Thread that make it sound like you came out of the closet, you like a TV show and a really wonderful one at that ! And that is great! Congrats to you for not being afraid to love something! However it's JUST A Tv show no need to act like it's a hidden shame.
  5. Parents who's first assumption is "You like Ponies? YOU MUST BE GEH!"
  6. "Rainbow Dash is a Lesbian because of her mane and tomboyish personality" No! Bad Brony -thunks nose-
  7. The Ultra sadification of the Villains, you know Emo Trixie hiding her abusive past with showmanship and ego, or Sad Gilda for her feelings for Rainbow Dash ignored or not even noticed .
    Alright those are some of my personal peeves XD They are nothing to get Angry of and I'm sure we all have some personal eye twitching things ;D

I'm going to play the devil's advocate a bit, for some perspective!

1. Part of FiM's success and popularity is due to the fantastic character designs. Each of the mane six may be instantly relate-able to the viewer in some way, as they all share interesting personality traits with each of us. I personally see a lot of Pinkie-Dash in myself because that's my personality type. People love the characters and want to strive to be more like them -- not an ignoble goal, to say the least! I can understand how it can be annoying, but I think this is the fundamental reason why people compare themselves to ponies so much.

2. Shipping gets discussed at length here. It's part of the culture to pair the ponies together, and it has been since it became popular. I think we just see more of it because FiM has a bigger fanbase than it did a year and a half ago. What I don't like (and I think this may be more your point) is the people that take the pairing ideas too far, and seem to suggest them as canon. Remember what a big deal that "kiss" was in Canterlot Wedding? I think that one topic got more discussion than the wedding/invasion of Canterlot itself!

3. I really enjoyed Cupcakes. I really, really liked it. I don't even like reading grimdark fics. In fact, I don't really read many fics to begin with! Why did I like it? It was obviously written to offend, but I think it did so in a way that gave a glimpse at two of my favorite characters in a much different light. It made me appreciate them that much more, as they are both precious to me. That doesn't excuse what it is, but I think the fan culture the story spawned is funny. I do not disagree that "Cupcakes Pinkie is only grim Pinkie" is kind of annoying, as she has other sides to her personality -- hopefully we'll get to see even more of them in S3!

4. This is a touchy topic, because it sort of is a big deal. There's some very serious stuff going down in the families where they find their teenage son is watching a cartoon designed (in their heads) for little girls. Teenagehood isn't very fun to begin with, so it's just added stress during a very touchy time in the lives of some people. Conquering that fear and gaining acceptance from friends and family isn't something to be ashamed of, and I think the support that people get in those threads about how to handle awkward situations is an important part of what our community is about. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

5. I agree with this, and it's wider spread than just parental reactions. Sadly, a lot of people instantly think of G1 when someone mentions "I like My Little Pony," which is why it's important to be mindful when introducing FiM to someone who may not know what it is yet. I personally think it's silly to suggest someone's sex preference based on a cartoon they're watching. There's a lot more to this topic, and I think we'll see more discussion on it as we move along.

6. Yeah, this is annoying too. If they want to suggest that Rainbow Dash is gay based on her rainbow mane and personality, I think it's more worrisome what they think about people that may actually be gay. It suggests heavy ignorance of the subject, which I think is more frightening than the sex preference of a cartoon character.

7. This goes more in line with the Cupcakes thing -- people like the characters and want to see them in a different way. I'd like to see material that could also explore their good sides -- and have. I pine for redemption Trixie to be canon.

Now that's all said, I'll share my pet peeves:

1. People acting mean at pony meetups. I've been to a few, and I've met some vicious people. It caught me off guard because I thought the community was built around a different premise, though I also know that just because you like pony, doesn't make you a nice person to other people.

2. People acting mean toward the brony population. I see a lot of males overcoming a huge stigma that girl stuff is uncool, and I am quietly cheering them on every time I dive into this community and culture on a daily basis -- and wave my pegasister banner when I'm away from it.

3. People not getting along over topics that happen in the show. It's a cartoon, so sometimes it's good to step back and take some perspective. This community is very good about doing that.

I think that's it.

TL;DR - Cake.

• Like 1

I reallly don't like it when people go "Oh I am SO like Fluttershy/Twilight/Pinkie Pie!" I really can't explain it but it seems sorta silly to claim to be just like one of the mane six

I'm actually offended by this, if it weren't for the extreme similarities with Dash, I probably would never have gotten as far into this fandom, or the series, as I have. In 101, upto meeting Dash I felt it was very "meh" it was ok, but not really something I would obcess over without Dash (Honestly, in all likelihood I'd have watched 101+102 and dropped it, or at most S1 and stopped "Till S2 is finished" (to avoid multi-part cliffhanger) and never picked it up again like I've done with so many Anime. Dash was what really got me to dig deeper into the series and the fandom, and wheather you like it or not, the reason for that is that she and I are near-identical personality-wise (As, humerously, nearly everyone on this forum that knows me will attest to :20: )

sorry, needed to get that out of my system...

As for me personally:

Super-Grimdark --- There is a line between an adventure and a horror story, I like grimdark, my favorite fanfic to date is "A Future Worth Saving" (in short, the mane 6 dissapear and NMM returns and conquers the world, then they reappear and try to stop her) But there is a limit. Cupcakes has left a permanent scar (and I didnt even read it!)

On the flipside - Super-G-Rated stories. Yes, it's nice now and then to see everyone get their happy ending, and the "problem" be resolved amicably, but that is so far on the Ideal side of the sliding Scale if Idealism Vs Cynicism that it gets old... I like a little violence, a few adult themes, blood optional, it keeps it more realistic.

In short you might say I hate the two extremes...

Also, Bronies who go "I like MLP since G1 so *raspberry*" Good for you, if your a girl and your in the right age-bracket, that's not suprising... if your a guy, meh, good for you, I dont care, 99.9% of the discussion about MLP today revolves around G4 (discounting Mythology Gags) so it just bugs me when they want to rub in my face how long they've liked the franchise - it's irrelevant!

I'm actually offended by this,

Cupcakes has left a permanent scar (and I didnt even read it!)

mlfw469_dude.png

No reason to be offended -- Quickie is just sharing an opinion. Like I said previously, we all find at least one of the mane six relate-able to us in some way, some stronger than others.

Cupcakes: you're giving it more credit than it deserves, and as a result you're making it a bigger monster than it really is. Give it a read, you might find it enlightening and understand the culture behind it a bit better, and maybe it won't traumatize you as much since you'll understand the story -- and the reasoning behind it -- better.

Sorry you are offended by my personal opinion Ashton but I'm not going to change it.

My main beef is when I hear people not even on Canterlot going "I am JUST like Pinkie Pie I am SO random! Haha Potatoes!"

No you are not JUST like Pinkie Pie the 4th wall seems just fine D<

Sorry you are offended by my personal opinion Ashton but I'm not going to change it.

My main beef is when I hear people not even on Canterlot going "I am JUST like Pinkie Pie I am SO random! Haha Potatoes!"

my gourd, I hate that DX

not when people say they're just like Pinkie, but when they say they're so random, when all they do is yell out a food or an animal or something dumb like that. I can't stand it, it really grates on my nerves >_< it just makes it worse when that's their reasoning to compare themselves to pinkie.

my gourd, I hate that DX

not when people say they're just like Pinkie, but when they say they're so random, when all they do is yell out a food or an animal or something dumb like that. I can't stand it, it really grates on my nerves >_< it just makes it worse when that's their reasoning to compare themselves to pinkie.

YES! I hate that! You are NOT random just because you go "I LIKE PIE!"

That's not what random means be quiet ! D<

Didn't ask you to change it, but it would be nice if you were a little gentler saying it...

Now in that instance, I do agree, long before PP I had people saying they were Random and posting nonsense and it annoyed me...

Didn't ask you to change it, but it would be nice if you were a little gentler saying it...

Now in that instance, I do agree, long before PP I had people saying they were Random and posting nonsense and it annoyed me...

I am not one to mince words, it's something I find annoying there is no way to dance around the issue.

I knoow! You are not random just because you post a few words! That is not random! You are not random just because you like PIE

One of the things that frustrate me to hear, is when bronies, faced with the argument that MLP is a show for little girls, they respond with "No it isn't." It is actually, as well as a show for little boys, teenagers and adults. It just kinda makes me furrow my eyebrows when they try to distance the show from any one group, like the haters do to bronies... Does that make sense to anyone?

One of the things that frustrate me to hear, is when bronies, faced with the argument that MLP is a show for little girls, they respond with "No it isn't." It is actually, as well as a show for little boys, teenagers and adults. It just kinda makes me furrow my eyebrows when they try to distance the show from any one group, like the haters do to bronies... Does that make sense to anyone?

I don't even think they know they're doing it. You're absolutely right -- FiM is for everyone!

Well back when I first joined the fandom I was told that the "Show wasn't for me because I was a girl" and that "Only men Like MLP" ><

See that makes me mad, because those people are saying who can and can't watch the show as well. Although in a much less rude and mean way then the haters.

• Like 1