Lost in the Woods

weesh

First a note my sister wrote for me:

Dear Princess Celestia,

Its true what they say about the Everfree Forest. Don't go there.

Your faithful subject,

Weesh

So today my sister and I were at Alyeska Resort in Girwood Alaska. She was there for the wedding of one of her friends, and I was there to burn time while she was at the wedding of one of her friends. I found a number of things to do, but with more than 2 hours left, I decided to take a hike into the woods. My plan was to go out 50 minutes, or until I found the trolley that I had heard about, and then come back. 55 minutes later, I was on my way back. The ground was soggy and I soaked one of my shoes. And then the path ran into a river. I was sure I had never been here. Nor had I been to the place where I got my shoe soggy. I was Lost. I checked my gear. I had more warm clothes, a cell phone with low battery but good reception, food and a liter of water remaining.

I decided that the best course of action was to call 911 before my phone went dead. They had me backtrack until I was on a trail with more footprints, and then they dispatched rescuers and told me to stay put. Unfortunately, I got my other foot soaked on the way back.

The temperature dropped to about 40F. I got my wet shoes and socks off, I put on all my dry clothes, and put my dry feet into my backpack to shelter them from the wind. I hunkered down for the wait, which turned out to be over 3.5 hours.

They found me with mild hypothermia, but I was able to hike out on my own power, which was good because the terrain was an unstable mix of snow ice and dirt and was neither snowmobile nor 4-wheeler accessible.

Upon arriving back at the resort some 45 minutes later, I got a pretty reasonable lecture from a state trooper for not having any of the following: a map, a whistle, a compass, a GPS, a lighter, matches, paper, a friend and hiking boots. And also for not telling anyone where I was going before venturing off alone. Thank goodness it was Alaska: it was still bright enough to navigate the roots and slush at 11:30pm when we got back.

I feel bad that I made people worry about me, especially my sister.

Comments? Suggestions? Any of you have stories of being lost?

• Like 1

Well I have one comment, Weesh.

I got lost in the woods 45 minutes from a resort hotel...I think Bear Grylls has got me beat... : )

That's quite a tale, Weeshy! I'm glad you were found before things got really serious!

Thanks! Me too.

It would have been terrible doing the rest of Summer of Pony without you.

Especially since we have been saving one of our best ideas for this next one!

Well, there was a couple at my church who were relatively young (I believe still in their 20's). They had been talking about marriage and already planning to and what not, but the guy hadn't officially proposed. Well, he had the idea for them to take a hike into the nearby mountains so he could propose to her, like on a cliff or whatever. At sunset.

Well, it got dark, and they got lost. Nope, they didn't bring flashlights. Well, anyway, they had state troopers or what have you out searching for them, helicopter, everything. They found them in the morning sometime. The story made it into the local newspaper. NOBODY will ever forget how he proposed.

I Haven't Gotten lost IRL... yea And now I will since I said that... I have had my fair share of wondering trough the Florida Everglades but Knew the General Idea Of where I was I even went out hiking with my friends At night and most of us were drunk that was a fun night

Always travel North.

If you're EVER lost, always travel North. Assuming the foliage is at a mid-to-low amount, and you can see the direction of the sun, you can figure out North. You may not know which way you CAME FROM, but you do know whic hway North is.

Assuming there weren't too-large-of mountain ranges, or miles and miles of Woods, you could have made it out to public roads pretty quickly. I'm not, nor was I in your (soggy :P) shoes, but I know this is the best course of action when getting lost.

That's a pretty interesting story, actually. Was it life changing? Or were you prepared enough if something like this ever happened, so you did not go into a form of shock from it?

Well, if you look at a map of girdwood, you might come to the conclusion that hiking North would be a bad idea! I'd hit the next road after 35 miles of snow-covered mountain crossing. And oh yeah, there are some glaciers to cross too! Supposing they had never come for me, my plan was to try and sleep where I was, and as soon as I was awake and it was light enough out, I would eat the rest of my food, drink the rest of my clean water, fill my water bottle at the stream, and attempt to get back to the trail head. I think I could have done it, but they had me stay put since I was at a clear landmark. I just would have had to pay closer attention to the tracks.

I wouldn't call it life changing though. Maybe trail prep changing. I won't go off into the woods without telling anyone where I am going ever again. I will probably be sure to take waterproof boots, bear mace, a whistle, matches/lighter/paper and several other things next time around.

Shivering alone in dark woods is not a good time to be introspective. I asked God if he had anything to say to me while I was out there, but my mind was wandering rather violently, and I couldn't hear anything.

Upon arriving back at the resort some 45 minutes later, I got a pretty reasonable lecture from a state trooper for not having any of the following: a map, a whistle, a compass, a GPS, a lighter, matches, paper, a friend and hiking boots. And also for not telling anyone where I was going before venturing off alone. Thank goodness it was Alaska: it was still bright enough to navigate the roots and slush at 11:30pm when we got back.

I feel bad that I made people worry about me, especially my sister.

Comments? Suggestions? Any of you have stories of being lost?

Your state trooper was quite right to lecture you about it.

The map is useful to locate your exact area.

A whistle useful to call for help.

A compass to know which direction you're going.

A GPS may be more useful than a map and compass, but its better with them together to calculate and plan your activity.

Oh yes, a lighter! You'll need those in order to light up some fire for signals or such!

Matches can be useful too, just don't use it where its wet.

Paper? Hmm, tell me what's useful when you use paper.(Maybe to light it up.)

A friend? Heheh, This is REALLY important. A buddy system is better than the solo system.

Your buddy can really help you in these situations. Such as if you're in a bad hypothermia condition, he'll have to help you get warm with some blankets.

Just not too much warmth, or it'll just make it worse.

If you brought cans, find some snow(Or water) to heat up into a warm temperature and put them between the armpits and between the legs.

Hiking boots? Why did you go off without hiking boots?

I was wondering how your socks got soaking wet!

Now for some real suggestions.

Do exactly everything what the sate trooper lectured you when you go off on such a hike like that.

TBH, I nearly slipped on a rock when I was bouldering one time. I nearly fell off more than 30 feet down because my hiking shoes weren't tight enough.

A bonus to that: Make sure that if you're climbing or bouldering, tie your shoes correctly AND securely.

I've only been truly lost once in my life. It was about five years ago and its a rather pathetic story...

...seriously your gonna laugh.

I got lost...on a beach :blush:

now you're probably thinking. Cress there's no way you could get lost on a beach! There's only two ways to go you derp for brains! Well you're right and I am fully ashamed as I should be of this. Seriously its like the classic smarty pants pushing on the pull door story.

well yes I was on a beach in a place I was vacationing at, the outer banks North Carolina. I was flying my stunt kite because man is it windier than Equestria before its founding down their and well I was 13. Now here's why I got tripped up. Because Im in sand the kite is slowly pulling me down the beach and I was well aware of this. however I over compensated for how far I had been pulled once I was done and I didnt recognize the back of the house we were staying at (it was beach front) and so I kept walking....and walking...and walking...and walking...and crying...and walking and crying for a good 3.5 hours and in my hysteria lost track of time and common sense until I came across a group of kids my age who I asked for help. I had passed several adults but you know what they say happens to little kids when they talk to strangers, but I had never been told not to approach another child so I figured it was a smart decision. They took me to their vacation house and their parents asked what road I was staying on. By some miracle my ADD must have been on break because I remembered the name of the street (and because of the ordeal still do to this day) was hallasa drive because of how me and my mom had joked about it rhyming with mufasa. They gave me a ride back and only then did I realize how far I had so stupidly walked. 3 MILES. yup I was that dumb. Turns out that kite had only pulled me a few pony pickin yards when I had expected a lot more. I returned home to see a cop car and a teary eyes mom waiting for me. I told the officer how I approached the kids because I thought it was safer yet he still gave me a lecture on how I should have tried to find a police officer. I still say its their fault for not having more beach patrols. Seriously not one cop on an ATV for three miles what the hay is up with that? Anyway learned you should always identify your landmarks whenever you're someplace you arent familiar with and that its REALLY EMBARRASSING to get lost on a beach...

• Like 1

Paper? Hmm, tell me what's useful when you use paper.(Maybe to light it up.)

Hiking boots? Why did you go off without hiking boots?

Yeah, the paper is to have something quick to light on fire. But if I had had it, I would have had something better to deal with some mild intestinal distress...

So I put hiking boots in my car for the trip, but 4 days later, having not needed them, I forgot I had them. Until I got back to the car. (sigh)

Side note: I don't know about you guys, but my ad at the bottom of the page is for Danner hiking boots : )

I've only been truly lost once in my life. It was about five years ago and its a rather pathetic story...

I've had similar experiences on rivers where I assumed I couldn't possibly miss a take out point, due to the fact that I would be floating right past it. Being lost is not a fun feeling.

You know Weesh, if you didn't make it out, I'd have totally built a shrine in your memory. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I'm not planning on quitting this forum without telling anyone. If I mysteriously vanish, you can assume I got lost and died in the woods somewhere and make that shrine : )

Well... met a cool FWC officer (Florida fish and wild life) today during training And he had some intresting stories,

our camp director had some one knock on his door and uppon answering the door the man Said he Had lost his car uppon further questing and calling in the FWC and a heppacopper they found the mans 2 door cedan in the middle of A trail that was ment for buggies and halftracks and the FWC officer still wonders how the man got it out there in the first place with out sinking

...seriously your gonna laugh.

I got lost...on a beach :blush:

now you're probably thinking. Cress there's no way you could get lost on a beach! There's only two ways to go you derp for brains! Well you're right and I am fully ashamed as I should be of this. Seriously its like the classic smarty pants pushing on the pull door story.

well yes I was on a beach in a place I was vacationing at, the outer banks North Carolina. I was flying my stunt kite because man is it windier than Equestria before its founding down their and well I was 13. Now here's why I got tripped up. Because Im in sand the kite is slowly pulling me down the beach and I was well aware of this. however I over compensated for how far I had been pulled once I was done and I didnt recognize the back of the house we were staying at (it was beach front) and so I kept walking....and walking...and walking...and walking...and crying...and walking and crying for a good 3.5 hours and in my hysteria lost track of time and common sense until I came across a group of kids my age who I asked for help. I had passed several adults but you know what they say happens to little kids when they talk to strangers, but I had never been told not to approach another child so I figured it was a smart decision. They took me to their vacation house and their parents asked what road I was staying on. By some miracle my ADD must have been on break because I remembered the name of the street (and because of the ordeal still do to this day) was hallasa drive because of how me and my mom had joked about it rhyming with mufasa. They gave me a ride back and only then did I realize how far I had so stupidly walked. 3 MILES. yup I was that dumb. Turns out that kite had only pulled me a few pony pickin yards when I had expected a lot more. I returned home to see a cop car and a teary eyes mom waiting for me. I told the officer how I approached the kids because I thought it was safer yet he still gave me a lecture on how I should have tried to find a police officer. I still say its their fault for not having more beach patrols. Seriously not one cop on an ATV for three miles what the hay is up with that? Anyway learned you should always identify your landmarks whenever you're someplace you arent familiar with and that its REALLY EMBARRASSING to get lost on a beach...

This was a funny story.

True story, I mean.